Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Auction House is really needed.

death390

has anyone tried to go through the hassle of trade chat lately? during low access times the trade chat moves about 6 posts in 20 seconds but during high access times the entire screen length can pass in an instant. (when i am hard trading i maximize the height of the trade chat) it is almost impossible to get trades done or even see if someone has what your looking for. why has DE not made an auction house yet? hell it would help them return plat back to themselves if they took 1 in 30 plat (minimum 1)  from an auction house sale they would make plat more valuable since there would be less in circulation. 1/30 is not a bad set (2/45, 3/75, ect) it would make low trades still worth it and massive plat trades they would get more plat back. hell make it so that we have to pay a length of time based credit cost to put it up (200 credits/ hour we have an item up would be decent and give us another thing to use credits on).

then lets look at what the players (all of us) get, an easy to see and search for list of what we want to buy or sell, a competitive market, and the big one WE DONT HAVE TO BE sitting in the liset or bazaar to sell/ buy things! think about it we can literaly set things in the auction house and go play the game getting more things to use/ put in auction house. want a riven mod? look theres 50 set to expire in the next hour. need that nekros prime bluprint to complete your set? done. hell people could even setup 5 item bundles, want a full carrier prime set? there you go.

it would be so simple too. you would have your major categories. Prime, mods, non-prime parts and weapons, relics, bundles. then in each list have a the standard sub-types.

Prime

• Bluprints
  • Parts
  • Warframes

Mods

• Warframe
  • primary
  • secondary
  • melee
  • archwing
  • companion
  • riven-unopend
  • riven-opened

Non-prime Parts and weapons

• Prisma
  • Vandal
  • Wraith
  • Karak
  • Warframe

Relics

• Lith
  • Meso
  • Neo
  • Axi

Bundles

hell put in a search bar, straight buyout option (sell NOW at THIS price), sort by cost/ time/ ect. and your done. hell we even have a great place to drop it at, stick it in maroo's bazaar and have darvo run it. if you wanted you could make it use Trades/day as the limit to how many sets of items you have in the Auction house (10 trades? use 8 in auction house still have 2/day to trade from trade chat)

TL:DR

Put Auction house in maroo's bazaar to help everyone buy and sell items, helps DE get plat back, helps players buy what they are looking for, and gets everyone to play the game instead of sitting in the liset for hours for a couple trades. limit by trades/day, DE gets back like 1/30 plat, cost credits to put things in AH based on time.

An auction house might do more damage than help. Maybe it'll help you, but it won't help the game in the long run. Would you rather play a game with a couple of flaws, or play a dead game with what you want?

Warframe's economy right now in my experience is just fine and it works, it gives everyone a chance at getting plat, which is the hard currency of the game, not something a lot of games will even give you a chance at. If there's an auction house, prices will plummet to the ground. Everyone will try and sell, and they'll go one lower than the lowest on the AH, and it keeps going until things are worthless. Then, you get an economy that isn't worthwhile unless you have some high-tiered things. I enjoyed this game and poured a crap ton of my time into it because of the economy, how I was able to play the game, experience everything, get hard currency without paying, it just took some work. 

The trade chat in my experience is not a hassle. It goes by quick sure, but you just catch things that come along. I can post my message when the chat is zooming by, and I'll get like eight responses when I'm buying bulk common parts to complete sets. I can post a long message to trade for some relics, after five minutes I'll probably find a trade. It's not that bad, and dealing with it is better than ruining it in my opinion. 

i dont think that is quire correct. while yes a competetive market would cause some prices to lower. most would stay the same, no one is going lower that 30p for a sancti castanna for example. the only big drop in prices would be the extreemly expensive things like vaulted items, hard to get stances, ect. but here is an example i was attempting to get a Dual kama prime blade with PM offer at the end so people could choose how much to ask for. i did not get a single offer in 4 hours of trading,

also with an auction house system would it not be easier for people to get plat for their items? which as you said is a hard currency.

also @ coyote_x_Stark why would an auction house be so bad that you unistall?

7 minutes ago, Ninja22678 said:

Warframe's economy right now in my experience is just fine and it works

Well, there has been inflation over the last few years, and some prices are absurdly high. To top it all DE has made decisions that are clearly money influenced, further inflating prices. So i wouldnt say Warframe's economy is fine, but i do agree with you, an auction house would damage the game by deflating prices, damaging both players that rely on trade as their source of in game income, and DE.

Just now, death390 said:

also @ coyote_x_Stark why would an auction house be so bad that you unistall?

My favorite thing about this game is that the community actually FEELS like a community. 

You actually have to interact with the players on a consistent basis in order to get anything done. The trading feels real and it feels good to interact and haggle with other players. Seeing other dojos and other peoples design choices for their frames is also nice. You actually feel like you are making a transaction. 

Meanwhile a AH is a souless numbers machine. Where you just find your item and bid or buy it for however much its listed for. 

- No interaction 

- No haggling 

- No getting to know other players 

- No seeing other players 

AH would be a straw that my back just wouldn't be able to take and would take away my favorite part about the game. 

1 minute ago, John89brensen said:

Well, there has been inflation over the last few years, and some prices are absurdly high. To top it all DE has made decisions that are clearly money influenced, further inflating prices. So i wouldnt say Warframe's economy is fine, but i do agree with you, an auction house would damage the game by deflating prices, damaging both players that rely on trade as their source of in game income, and DE.

I mean more so the system is fine. Yeah some things are very high and there have been some cash grab decisions and additions. But having a functioning economy that is relatively stable and predictable helps alleviate that a little in my eyes.

5 minutes ago, death390 said:

also with an auction house system would it not be easier for people to get plat for their items? which as you said is a hard currency.

Hard currency means currency only obtainable by purchase, it's the game's premium currency. Sure it might make it easier for people to get plat for their items, but they will get less. Plus an official AH system that has platinum listings and all means people get attached to it. If DE makes a decision that blows up the plat economy, people are going to complain becuase an AH system would make it almost a core aspect of the game.

1 hour ago, death390 said:

has anyone tried to go through the hassle of trade chat lately? during low access times the trade chat moves about 6 posts in 20 seconds but during high access times the entire screen length can pass in an instant. (when i am hard trading i maximize the height of the trade chat) it is almost impossible to get trades done or even see if someone has what your looking for. why has DE not made an auction house yet? hell it would help them return plat back to themselves if they took 1 in 30 plat (minimum 1)  from an auction house sale they would make plat more valuable since there would be less in circulation. 1/30 is not a bad set (2/45, 3/75, ect) it would make low trades still worth it and massive plat trades they would get more plat back. hell make it so that we have to pay a length of time based credit cost to put it up (200 credits/ hour we have an item up would be decent and give us another thing to use credits on).

then lets look at what the players (all of us) get, an easy to see and search for list of what we want to buy or sell, a competitive market, and the big one WE DONT HAVE TO BE sitting in the liset or bazaar to sell/ buy things! think about it we can literaly set things in the auction house and go play the game getting more things to use/ put in auction house. want a riven mod? look theres 50 set to expire in the next hour. need that nekros prime bluprint to complete your set? done. hell people could even setup 5 item bundles, want a full carrier prime set? there you go.

As you can already see, you're just going to get a whole lot of hate for daring to suggest an auction house/trading post in-game.

Here is what they'll claim:

It'll cause the Warframe economy to crash. Inflation will rise. People will buy up all of X and then mark up the prices. People will undersell. People will manipulate the market! Gasp!

Let's see...that's things that they...hmmmm...ALREADY do. We already have warframe.market which functions as a third party auction house. People already do all of that. In fact, warframe.market is worse because people can post buy and sell listings to drive item prices up or down, without even actually having the item to sell or intending to buy. Many people do exactly that. 

Also, no one is saying get rid of trading altogether. No one is saying completely replace the trading system but that's another lame argument people use.

And trading chat, I can tell you from personal experience that people look at your profile and your MR and experience and if you're obviously a new player they will try to rip you off, like the kind and generous high MR player who tried to sell me a Nekros Prime in trading chat for the low, low price of 320 platinum and insisted that it was impossible to get a lower price and he was doing me a favor. Somehow, despite that incredibly generous offer I was able to get a Nekros set for less than 100.

I already suggested a system for an in-game trading post where your items, platinum, credit tax and # of trades from your daily trades would be put into escrow, which would ensure if you say you're buying something for X amount of platinum, that you will and if you say you're selling something for X amount of platinum, you will.

And you know the funniest part? One of the players who insisted that an in-game auction house would be used by players to buy up sets for low prices and sell them at marked up prices...was HIMSELF doing that already.

You know what else an in-game auction system would do? It would keep people honest. It would be pretty hard for that guy who was trying to sell me a Nekros Prime for 320 plat to rip new players off if they can just look at an in-game trading post and see that his price is ridiculous high. And that's what I think a LOT of players are afraid of. Honesty.

Edited by Ninjacalypse

my biggest issue with trade chat is the fact that there is no alternative, if you cant find it then you have to come back and keep comming back to hopefully buy or sell. this causes people who want to casualy get a little plat or that last piece of thier prime to face a text wall.

when i think of an auction house i think of World of Warcraft. there is so many options to sell, but if it is something that only a couple people are looking for you wont find it in trade chat. even in WoW they still had a trade chat for the people who want to enchant the old fashioned way not through the proffesion which came out to scribe enchants onto papers, still do. heck if people really want top plat for thier items fine, hard to get items would probably be sold through trade chat still because people want to.

if auction house doesnt work we still need something better than our current trade chat. a bazaar  where people could put up what they are selling  in a list. then you could have the buyers look for specific items/sets in a catalouge of what is availible to be sold and be given a list of people selling that item to contact with an offer to buy. that would retain the basic function of trade chat while making it easier to find what your looking for or even sell items.

4 minutes ago, death390 said:

if auction house doesnt work we still need something better than our current trade chat. a bazaar  where people could put up what they are selling  in a list. then you could have the buyers look for specific items/sets in a catalouge of what is availible to be sold and be given a list of people selling that item to contact with an offer to buy. that would retain the basic function of trade chat while making it easier to find what your looking for or even sell items.

Actually, there is an in-game bazaar and it's WORSE than trading chat. Its only useful function is as a place to trade for players who have no clan.

So you've seen trading chat. Now, instead of that imagine 50-100 people overlapping each other with icons floating over their heads which are also overlapping each other and selling garbage for garbage prices. That's the bazaar.

Edited by Ninjacalypse

what we have at the bazaar is NOT a bazaar. it is a glorified trading chat hub, with easy to use trade between players.

what i am suggesting in my last post is a cross between an auction house and current trade chat. you post in a list what you are willing to trade for a listed approximate amount (to be haggled on or not is sellers choice). when someone wants to buy something they go to the list and see set of names of people selling the item for their costs. in order to even list the item you must be ONLINE and have the item in your inventory. kinda think like warframe.market but with checks to see that you indeed are capable of selling the item. and in game tools to contact others.

37 minutes ago, death390 said:

but here is an example i was attempting to get a Dual kama prime blade with PM offer at the end so people could choose how much to ask for. i did not get a single offer in 4 hours of trading,

Personally, I hate "PM offer" and won't deal with anyone who isn't prepared to name a price.

I bet if you'd offered a reasonable price instead, you could have bought that part several times over.

And it's not just me, many people have stated it in multiple threads. "PM offer" costs you sales/purchases.

13 minutes ago, Ninjacalypse said:

It'll cause the Warframe economy to crash. Inflation will rise.

The economy will crash, but there will be deflation, not inflation. There already is inflation in the market, and maybe one of the reasons why DE doesnt want to implement an auction house.

I personally dont like the idea because it will hurt the economy of those who's main source of income is trading.

I do agree that both trade chat needs to be improved, to say the least.

i had offered in other sessions 25-35p for the 1 blade. the problem is that the only decent site for approximating the reasonable price of any part is warframe.market and i have reservations cause most of the people selling items are gone for awhile and who knows if they even have the part they are "selling" or just racking up the price.

4 minutes ago, John89brensen said:

The economy will crash, but there will be deflation, not inflation. There already is inflation in the market, and maybe one of the reasons why DE doesnt want to implement an auction house.

I personally dont like the idea because it will hurt the economy of those who's main source of income is trading.

I do agree that both trade chat needs to be improved, to say the least.

Actually, I've heard both. It will both deflate and inflate the economy.

You don't like the idea because it hurt people who make money by trading. How is that?

We already have warframe.market. Same thing. All of things that people claim would cause the economy to crash...are ALREADY done on warframe.market.

I think people don't like the idea, because they don't want to compete in a fair economy.

4 minutes ago, ViS4GE said:

And why should it be a third-party, outsourced solution?

For the nay-sayers, how exactly would taking warframe.market and putting it into the game with some restrictions of course, suddenly destroy warframe's economy?

All of the "...but it will cause this!" are all things that are ALREADY being done and happening.

5 minutes ago, death390 said:

i had offered in other sessions 25-35p for the 1 blade. the problem is that the only decent site for approximating the reasonable price of any part is warframe.market and i have reservations cause most of the people selling items are gone for awhile and who knows if they even have the part they are "selling" or just racking up the price.

It would be very difficult for sellers to artificially increase the prices on warframe.market. Decrease them, sure, but not increase them.

Dual Kamas Prime Blades are a rare drop from a single relic, and you need two of them for a set. warframe.market seems to be down at the moment, but I doubt the blades will be cheap.

1 minute ago, ChuckMaverick said:

It would be very difficult for sellers to artificially increase the prices on warframe.market. Decrease them, sure, but not increase them.

Not really. I put up a buy listing that says I'm buying 15 sets of X for X amount of platinum. Now, that's the price that sellers are going to expect. In effect, I drive up the price on the item causing other buyers to put a higher buy listings for said item. If anyone messages me actually trying to sell me that item...I just ignore them.

Think that doesn't happen? It does. And that wasn't just a "what if" scenario. That was a real example that I saw today on the market.

People manipulate both the buy and sell listings.

9 minutes ago, Ninjacalypse said:

Actually, I've heard both. It will both deflate and inflate the economy.

If everyone could see the competition prices, then this would lower to an equilibriun, except for those people that have plenty of free time to invest in the game and will always try to undercut all others. This will greatly reduce the amount of platinum circulating in the game.

9 minutes ago, Ninjacalypse said:

You don't like the idea because it hurt people who make money by trading. How is that?

Simply put, if prices fall too much, those who rely only on trade will get less platinum for their trades.

In any case, some items will still retain a high value, although somewhat lower than today. 

I do agree that Warframe market functions as an unoficial auction house, sadly a lot of players dont know about it. I think part of the problem is DE unwillingness to even adress trade.

Edited by John89brensen

8 minutes ago, Ninjacalypse said:

All of the "...but it will cause this!" are all things that are ALREADY being done and happening.

An auction house would automate selling, once you'd listed your item it wouldn't need any more interaction from you at all.

That's what's different from what people are doing now, and that's what would cause prices to crash.

Supply of items is limited at the moment as it takes actual effort to complete a trade, remove that and many more people will dump their items on an auction house.

That is the point chuck the people who have items to sell but don't want to use trade chat  will be able to sell things. Higher priced items will probably still go through trade because the massive plat costs associated with them. But overall plat would circulate more freely, with a small plat tax it would pull some plat out of circulation this making de more money when people buy more. Items that are not very costly or not bought often would get more visibility and increased ease of use for new players

20 minutes ago, ChuckMaverick said:

An auction house would automate selling, once you'd listed your item it wouldn't need any more interaction from you at all.

That's what's different from what people are doing now, and that's what would cause prices to crash.

Supply of items is limited at the moment as it takes actual effort to complete a trade, remove that and many more people will dump their items on an auction house.

No one said ANYTHING about removing daily trade limits.

Are you trying to say that the only thing keeping Warframe's fragile economy together is how tedious trading is? Not really a great argument.

3 minutes ago, Ninjacalypse said:

No one said ANYTHING about removing daily trade limits.

Neither did I, not sure why you mentioned this.

4 minutes ago, Ninjacalypse said:

Are you trying to say that the only thing keeping Warframe's fragile economy together is how tedious trading is? Not really a great argument.

I'm saying that the effort of manually completing trades has an effect on prices, are you disputing that?