Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Auction House is really needed.

death390

1 hour ago, Irn-bruman said:

Oh, i love theoretical questions. And i love and play a lot of Warframe, so i'm sure to be able answer this one. Let's see...

1st guy could... Wait. If the 5p price is low for this item, all 30, even 100 mods will fly away in no time. WF had ~ 30.000 people ONLINE (PC) 30 mins ago. Nobody would beleive that 30, 60, 100 mods will DISTROOY the market? If this mod worth something - 1st guy can easily set it for 20p, and just wait an hour or so. 

Or he could buy plat pack from devs, supporting them. 

That was easy. Do you have other questions? 

i played one mmo where is  auction house been big part of trade...i had stockpile of 20 most expensive items its cost lets say 10milion credits.. i posted 20 this items for 5 mil.. sell it...in  30 min all...and other cant sell then cz they expect lower price

but see that is part of the point of customer value and a free market. who is to say that the item is worth 10million? for all we know it cost you 1 million to make/farm/buy the item your selling. even at 5million the seller obviously thinks that 1; buyers are willing to buy at that price. 2. he vales the item at that price. 3; he is probably still making a profit. 4; if buyers expect that price from then on with only 30min worth of time it is obviously overpriced.

hell maiming strike for example i saw being WTS at 300-500 plat today. who is to say it costs that much. it is a legitimate limited item due to no drop chance currently. it could be worth that much but if it doesn't sell that means buyers dont want it at that price even for a limited item.

on the flip side is the sellers perspective of that, if the price doesn't go down that means that the sellers are not willing to go lower meaning except for deliberate undercutting sellers it will stay about the same price. if the price goes down that is because sellers recognize they wont get the trade at that high. that is the equilibrium of a free market.

increasing visibility of item costs will show people what the general fair price is.

on the note of the "monopoly" guy buying all of the same item. that only works when there is a strictly limited number of items like the arcane helmets, or the exceedingly rare ones. if he is willing to spend thousands of plat to have a monopoly and try to artificially raise the price on something he is going to have to put a fair price or it wont sell. also since all non-limited items are able to be farmed the total number of possible supplies means that if it is too pricey people will go get it themselves, this is what DE has had to deal with for things like Nezah, nidus, equinox. those are 3 frames that had extremely difficult farming requirements and people will often opt to buy those with plat instead of farming for them.

part of the issue with price inflation for warframe.market is people who post higher than average prices to drive them up. there have been times when i went to ask people for parts and they told me the dont have them any longer but they then don't take down their listing. this causes price inflation because even though they dont have or arn't selling that part they are affefcting the market. hell we could have bots in trade chat yelling, "WTB frost prime BP 1000 plat" every 10 minutes, and even though they arn't buying since they are a bot they are affecting the market the same way.

Here's a thought: why not remove Trading altogether from Warframe, and have the devs make another game called "Tradeframe"? Where players can spend tons of hours haggling, spamming, PMing and ignoring other players whilst pretending to trade?

That's what Trade feels like at the moment, it should be a standalone game connected to Warframe, so the folks who want to do nothing else but sit their arses in a relay (or chatroom) just trading and not play the game.

/s

As for all the nay-sayers claiming they "represent the community" and think an Auction House would absolutely destroy the economy, sorry, but you don't represent the whole community, just a fraction of it, the ones who come post or read the forums. Please consider the following:

tumblr_ngnd97QdBQ1sx331no1_400.gif

Give it a chance, at least for a test run. If it works, it stays, and folks will be able to trade and still be able to play the game. If it doesn't, well, tough luck, the devs can always remove it and try something else. As it is, if I want to trade, then I have to spend Gods-know-how-long sitting in the trade chat/Maroo's Bazaar doing nothing but Ctrl+V messages with my requests/wares, and the time wasted there is the time I could be using to get resources, levelling up gear, scanning stuff, and whatnot.

One option that could help is to have an in-game market board that allows you to list items that you want to buy or sell with the price (or 'offer' if you prefer), but the trades still have to be completed manually, giving you the option of haggling if you want.

It would basically get rid of the visual clutter of trade chat but wouldn't be a fire-and-forget system for dumping all your items.

Limit the number of listings per player (based on MR, perhaps) and only show listings when the player is online, or require players to 'refresh' their listings frequently to keep them active.

Sellers do not list what they want to sell, buyers list what they want to buy. Tada! AH fixed. Can not inflate nor deflate prices. Someone listing that they want to buy dual kamas for 100, plat is deducted and listing stays for 24 hours before you can take it down for free. Someone only willing to pay 2p for dual kamas? Most likely there will be others willing to pay a more reasonable price, so you do not sell the item to the fella for 2p.

Only static items can be listed, rivens gets sold the old fashion way.

Please tell me why my suggestion would not work.

I've found an easy way to solve the problems with trade.

I don't use it.

It's a horrible system and I hate it. There are 2 things I genuinely hate in this game and that's the trade system and Archwing. Archwing knocks me sick and the trade system just sickens me. 

They won't add an AH, we've asked for years so I just don't use trade at all.

Trading is one of the worst aspects of Warframe, but it comes as no surprise the trader minority is against an auction house - it'd devalue their items and put an end to scamming and other unethical practices they love so much. Don't kid yourself, DE knows this - problem is, they also benefit from this trainwreck. I assure you though, no normal person I know was even remotely happy when discovering how trading works in Warframe, it's an annoying waste of time and the alternatives like the trading sites got destroyed by dead offers.

I did quite a bit of trading myself and it sure can be a quick profit, but I'd give up the overinflated selling prices for more convenience and automation any day.

Edited by rroorr

1 minute ago, rroorr said:

Trading is one of the worst aspects of Warframe, but it comes as no surprise the trader minority is against an auction house - it'd devalue their items and put an end to scamming and other unethical practices they love so much.

Just to be clear, I'm not a trader, I've bought a few things from trade chat but never sold anything, and I'm against a traditional automated auction house in Warframe.

9 hours ago, Ninjacalypse said:

And why should it be a third-party, outsourced solution?

Because DE have more important things to do. You know, like giving you space AIDS, hema-roids, charging you plat for mod slots, putting nitain into sortie rewards.

3 minutes ago, Nyaa314 said:

Because DE have more important things to do. You know, like giving you space AIDS, hema-roids, charging you plat for mod slots, putting nitain into sortie rewards.

And the 2016 award for most constructive criticism goes to...

I actually like the Nidus infestation thing DE have going on right now, it's very reminiscent of the pre-launch zombie event for WoW's Wrath of the Lich King expansion.

1 hour ago, ChuckMaverick said:

There would be far more sellers than people offering reasonable prices, so prices would tank, as they will with any automated system.

Does not that simply mean that the prices set on certain items were artificially inflated and gets corrected?

Yes it does. 

48 minutes ago, Dedjal said:

Does not that simply mean that the prices set on certain items were artificially inflated and gets corrected?

Yes it does. 

Artificially inflated? No.

It simply means that the prices are a reflection of all the factors in play at the time.

Change any of those factors and you change the prices, there's nothing artificial about it, just normal market supply and demand.

2 hours ago, ChuckMaverick said:

Artificially inflated? No.

It simply means that the prices are a reflection of all the factors in play at the time.

Change any of those factors and you change the prices, there's nothing artificial about it, just normal market supply and demand.

But what that means is that there is in fact a surplus on supply, we just do not see it, so it becomes artificially inflated.

but I do not see how this is negative. If there is a surplus of something, the price will fall. Either sell at reduced price, hold on to it or sell something else. If you are willing to sell kamas blade for 2p, then that is up to you. If no one sells it at 2p, the person will have to raise the price in order to get someone to sell it to him.

so there is still nothing wrong with my suggested system.

please everyone, enlighten me to the faults so that I can make improvements to it. 

Edited by Dedjal

14 hours ago, death390 said:

no one is going lower that 30p for a sancti castanna for example.

ANd here you are wrong, just because it may be so in your region doesn´t mean it´s the same everywhere. Syndicate weapons are 25p for month now in my region even new ones.

If auction houses would work well Blizzard wouldn´t have shut down the D3 auction house.

12 hours ago, John89brensen said:

Perfect information of the market would force prices to drop until they reach a point of equilibrium. No one would sell ever an Ember Prime at 1200 plat if there is 10 other people selling  at 500.

12 hours ago, ChuckMaverick said:

Supply is also currently "soft" limited by the fact that only a small percentage of the Warframe population are prepared to engage in manual trading, many more would trade if it were automated.

Prices would crash due to simple supply and demand, supply would rise further than demand because you can farm multiple copies of an item, but you (generally) only use one.

In real life you can't create an infinite amount of items via space magic by running more missions.

So in other words you don't have any proof that an auction house would cause the Warframe market to crash. There aren't an "infinite" amount of items in Warframe. If someone went through the database they could get an actual number of how many items were in the game, therefor not infinite. More items can be generated by running missions. Running those missions requires a resource...time. But if you want to correlate that to the real world, factories can produce more products to meet consumer demand. Farms can also "create" more animals and create a self-sustaining loop.

12 hours ago, Rakawan said:

This has been suggested multiple times and the community has made it clear that not only is an auction house a bad idea for warframe, but that a rework of trade would be far better to address the current issues. 

Ah, so "the community" consists of a handful of people on the forums complaining about it. In fact, as I already mentioned one of the people who claimed that an in-game auction house would be bad (you know... "the community") claimed it was because people would buy up items and then mark them up for resale...which he himself WAS ALREADY DOING on Warframe.market. So he was full of crap. He just didn't want an in-game market because then everyone would be able to see fair prices for the items he was marking up and then they would know that he was full of crap.

Edited by Ninjacalypse

7 minutes ago, Ninjacalypse said:

So in other words you don't have any proof that an auction house would cause the Warframe market to crash.

Do you accept that making selling items easier via an auction house would encourage more people to sell items?

Do you accept that supply can and will increase more than demand, as you can farm multiple copies of an item but likely only use one?

Do you accept basic economic theory, and the law of supply and demand?

If you accept all the above, then you have to conclude that prices will fall; if you don't accept them, then which one do you disagree with?

Just now, ChuckMaverick said:

Do you accept that making selling items easier via an auction house would encourage more people to sell items?

Do you accept that supply can and will increase more than demand, as you can farm multiple copies of an item but likely only use one?

If you accept all the above, then you have to conclude that prices will fall; if you don't accept them, then which one do you disagree with?

You just described how real world industry and economy works. So...again...you have no proof that an in-game auction/trading post would cause the game's "economy" to crash.

8 hours ago, ashrah said:

i played one mmo where is  auction house been big part of trade...i had stockpile of 20 most expensive items its cost lets say 10milion credits.. i posted 20 this items for 5 mil.. sell it...in  30 min all...and other cant sell then cz they expect lower price

This is an example of where an auction house starts to go wrong.

Sure, you sold them quick... But to who? Auction Hawks will quickly buy anything that undersells for too much and then resell at a profit. Then you have even more artificial inflation and scarcity.

What happens in an auction house is that those that hawk it and watch it closely week but any rare item that goes for too cheap, then they control how much they want to Jack up the prices. You'll have rare items going sky high, and common items becoming absolute junk

8 hours ago, ashrah said:

This is an example of where an auction house starts to go wrong.

Sure, you sold them quick... But to who? Auction Hawks will quickly buy anything that undersells for too much and then resell at a profit. Then you have even more artificial inflation and scarcity.

What happens in an auction house is that those that hawk it and watch it closely week but any rare item that goes for too cheap, then they control how much they want to Jack up the prices. You'll have rare items going sky high, and common items becoming absolute junk as there will always be someone ready to undercut.

4 minutes ago, Ninjacalypse said:
6 minutes ago, ChuckMaverick said:

You just described how real world industry and economy works. So...again...you have no proof that an in-game auction/trading post would cause the game's "economy" to crash

And your answers to the questions I posed are?

1 minute ago, ChuckMaverick said:

And your answers to the questions I posed are?

I'm still waiting for your proof that an in-game auction house would cause the game economy to crash. I think maybe you misunderstood what I meant when I say "proof." Proof as in actual evidence not proof as in speculation and unproven theories.

In fact, Steam has a built-in market/auction house. CSGO and Dota 2's economies haven't "crashed." In fact, the games are thriving because of the item market.