Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

DE is Heading in the Right Direction in DevStream #85

ssh83

DevStream #85 covered may core issues that is pulling Warframe down.

• Undercover Boss:  Many good games fell off a cliff because the game ran away from the developer.  This is great that Steve is playing the game from scratch and getting crucial 1st-hand experience of his game.
  • Resource Stockpile:  DE already has the perfect answer for this.  Change passive acquisition of rare resource and give them out as mission reward.  It can be like Kuva or a variation of Excavation mission (ex:  A Mutagen Sample Excavation mission will give 5 Mutagen Sample per extractor, but no other reward).  This way, people trying to farm a rare resource will not be slapped by RNG and people who aren't trying to farm it won't unintentionally inflate the market.   
  • Nullifier Change:  This is indirectly balancing weapons through better enemy design.  I hope this helps DE open up the meta.  For example, Grineer Heavy Gunner can get a reload animation that exposes a weak point for slow-firing burst weapon to take advantage of.  This allows player to play smart instead of relying on fast-firing slash/corrosive to kill lvl 150 Heavy Grineer.
  • It's not Serration's Fault:  The meta that heavily focuses on max dps is created by the gameplay design.  Steve realizing and addressing the root problem instead of knee-jerk reaction is the mark of a great designer.  Hopefully the remarks that Scott added at the end is NOT the extend of it. Increasing enemy legality just means GREATER emphasis on "who one-shots who first."  It doesn't support horizontal progression at all.
  • Dynamic Encounter Design:  While each enemy dies too fast for complex behavior, simple AI design that make enemies work as a team will pay off big.  For example, spawn 3 Shield Lancers who stay in formation for a moving wall.  Have sniper run toward and stay close to an eximus with snowglobe or nullifier.

7 minutes ago, ssh83 said:

It's not Serration's Fault:  The meta that heavily focuses on max dps is created by the gameplay design.  Steve realizing and addressing the root problem instead of knee-jerk reaction is the mark of a great designer.  Hopefully the remarks that Scott added at the end is NOT the extend of it. Increasing enemy legality just means GREATER emphasis on "who one-shots who first."  It doesn't support horizontal progression at all.

The problem of Serration that it improve all your type of damage... Limit it to Physical Damage could be good balance, especially for status build. For the multishot, maybe make the bullet less accurate. Still usefull on automatic weapon but not on sniper for example. 

For the rest I'm pretty agree with you. And I really want to see the new type of ennemy. 

Edited by Tigrius_MkIV

Thanks for summarizing the points of the DevStream for those who can't watch. I'm glad to see DE turning around and actually playing the game to experience it as a player. Hopefully, this will be one of many examples in 2017 of reducing the grind and meta.

9 minutes ago, ssh83 said:

• Resource Stockpile:  DE already has the perfect answer for this.  Change passive acquisition of rare resource and give them out as mission reward.  It can be like Kuva or a variation of Excavation mission (ex:  A Mutagen Sample Excavation mission will give 5 Mutagen Sample per extractor, but no other reward).  This way, people trying to farm a rare resource will not be slapped by RNG and people who aren't trying to farm it won't unintentionally inflate the market.   

5 would be way too low for defending something for 100 seconds. Even with 4 people that's only 20 samples per extractor. So even if they were all in the same clan and it was only a ghost clan it would take 250 extractors just to get the hema.

19 minutes ago, ssh83 said:

Resource Stockpile:  DE already has the perfect answer for this.  Change passive acquisition of rare resource and give them out as mission reward.  It can be like Kuva or a variation of Excavation mission (ex:  A Mutagen Sample Excavation mission will give 5 Mutagen Sample per extractor, but no other reward).  This way, people trying to farm a rare resource will not be slapped by RNG and people who aren't trying to farm it won't unintentionally inflate the market..

acquisition of rare resources is perfectly fine. if you play the game trust me that you will have no problem farming rare resources at some point they end up showing like candy and just came one after another play the game for some time and you will stockpile thousands of them. but if what you mean is that stockpiling them is an issue you should take into account that in the same devstream they said they want to icrease the difficulty to acquire weapons so that means much more inflated building or research costs (cof cof vauban prime, sibear, hema cof cof) so stockpiling them is not a problem is a need. and people wont go for a mission just to farm a specific resource, maybe if they give higher amounts of it but we are talking of DE they have shown us on multiple ocasions that they undestanding of interesting rewards are much more lower than whats rentable. when i want to farm resources i tend to go to excavations as i get relics and resources and if it is a fissure then just add traces to the mix and you´ve got grinding heaven going on a mision for just 1 resource seems like a waste of time.