Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Oberon is fundamentally flawed, and a full Offensive Support rework.

-FV-Metheria

Oberon is a frame I quite love, always has been for a good three or so years. I can still remember killing Vay Hek for his parts. Despite this, I am not blind to the fact Oberon is easily the worst warframe. Oberon is so truly terrible, where other bad warframes still have their niche uses, Oberon just doesn't. There is no good reason to use Oberon in a squad if you have other warframes built. Some might say it's fine he is a Solo frame, but Warframe is marketed as, balanced as, and enjoyed as a Co-op game. There should not be frames that are only useful in Solo, all frames should be able to be used in Co-op. In this post, i'll go over what Oberon's fundamental flaws are that require not just number tweaks but a full rework to be good, my full list of how to rework him in a way that continues his general theme, and closing thoughts on some extra miscellaneous things related to this post.

Before I begin however, I would like to establish my ideas throughout this on how I will judge him. I will not judge his viability based on augments, the base frame should be good already. I will not balance him to be a secondary support, I want Oberon to be a viable choice to consider instead of Trinity. And, I believe in making all frames distinct and unique.

Why he needs not just number tweaks but a rework

Spoiler

As a whole, Oberon seems to be a jack of all trades. But, jack of all trades don't really work in squads since you have four slots. You don't need a sub-par damage dealer, support, tank, and cc in one when you can just have a great damage dealer, support, tank, and cc in these four slots available. Also, his passive is far too luck based for when it is useful, and only really exists against Grineer. 

Why the Passive is fundamentally flawed:

The Passive right now, is luck based and only takes practical effect against Grineer. Sure, you can pacify Kavats sometimes in Derelict, but every other time you will only encounter enemies to pacify with the Grineer faction. And, this passive is luck based. If RNGesus decides not to let the enemy spawn too many Hyekka Masters or Dhrak Masters your passive is useless. Sure, you may occasionally amass a army that devours everything but even then maintaining that army will be hard as they run off to kill enemies and you need to be near them to keep them pacified.

Why Smite is fundamentally flawed:

Smite, does pitiful damage. Sure, you can knock over a enemy and do a ground finisher. But that leaves you open to enemies shooting you, not to mention if i'm not mistaken that won't work with Covert Lethality. Yes, it irradiates one enemy. But, even if you irradiate a Heavy Gunner it won't hurt it's allies enough and just bullet sponge any damage itself takes. Simply increasing the damage, will still mean it scales poorly.

Why Hallowed Ground is fundamentally flawed:

This ability is a joke for a reason. The damage is dreadful, and doesn't scale well. The armor buff is percentage based, which presents a big issue. You see, the frames that would most need a armor buff get very little since it is after all percentage based. And, frames that would get a significant armor buff, already having a high armor stat to begin with means they don't need this buff. Also, this thing is tiny. Like seriously, there is barely room for one Tenno to stand in this, let alone a full squad.

Why Renewal is fundamentally flawed:

Renewal takes the longest amount of time to begin healing compared to other healing methods, provides a less strong effect compared to other healing methods, and costs more energy than other healing methods. As it is, Renewal is not good as a emergency heal since it takes time to reach, and more time to heal, and it is not good as a passive heal since it goes away the moment the target is fully healed. 

Why Reckoning is fundamentally flawed:

It's damage, while fine to start with doesn't scale. This ability leaves you open to any enemies that were not immediately picked up as you stand still. Also, why is the health orb stuff a thing? I know this is off-topic but...has anyone seriously gotten use out of this? You already have a heal in your three, yeah I mean, pick it up while your companion is down and they are revived. But, it isn't guaranteed you get a health orb from this and it scales poorly so you're better off just reviving your companion normally.

The Offensive Support Rework

Spoiler

My idea for a fitting rework of Oberon, is to make him a support that will enable your teammates to stick to the front lines doing more damage on key targets. The goal is to retain as much of his original kit and paladin idea as possible while refocusing it all into a support that will offer a unique experience for both the user and team mates that will have the ability to scale with endless levels.

New Passive:

[DE] wants Oberon to have interactions with beasts and animals, as such to preserve it this is how i'd change the way this ability works. To keep this ability more consistent, you instead can only pacify five enemies but they are permanently sticking with you until death or a higher level enemy comes up which will replace the lowest level beast in your squad making them go feral. In addition to this, Oberon can now pacify Chargers and Moas. We can do this now because since he will only pacify five of them he won't completely trivialize the main infantry of those factions. To keep things fair, Oberon's pack of animals will receive minor buffs to damage resistance and output. Not enough they destroy everything they come across, but enough you will notice their presence. And, as a final measure they will gain Kubrow like A.I where they will stick near Oberon.

New Smite:

To make this ability good, we just need to add one thing, that will be game changing for Oberon and allow him to scale. This ability, now applies a "Judgement Mark" (Forgive my stupid name) that causes that enemy to take increased damage by all sources at a percent affected by power strength and it's length affected by duration, such as potentially bonus 50% damage for ten seconds. (Wild numbers off the top of my head, if [DE] decides to implement this idea they will work out the specific amount.) What this will do for Oberon, is allow him to scale well as allies being able to just do flat bonus damage will always be good. It means he can single out that Eximus Heavy Gunner, and give his allies the ability to hit them hard.

New Second Ability, Divine Favor:

Hallowed Ground, will go away. Don't worry, it'll be implemented into his ultimate. But what do we replace it with? A truly focused, dedicated buffing ability in his kit. Now, since we already have plenty of damage buffing abilities in the game this will instead be focused on giving allies more capability to stay on the front lines. Divine Favor will give allies a small damage resistance, i'd say 20% capping at 50% (Once again, wild numbers off top of head) The point, is that damage resistance is only one part of this ability. To encourage people to take to the front lines, it will have damage reflection returning some of the damage you take right back to the enemy. This should scale well, and provide a more unique buff effect relative to what we already have in the game.

New Renewal:

Many people suggest having this ability last for as long as you have energy to support it, but I have a different idea. When a ability "channels" in a way, it disables energy regeneration effects. What this means is that you become more dependent on Trinity supports to keep you energized or luck of having aplenty energy orbs dropping. As I said, I want Oberon to be a potential choice instead of Trinity, not something to pick after one is already in your squad. As such, my suggestion will be to have the orb swirl around you as a natural health regeneration buff for a good while depending on Oberon's duration. Oberon can use energy for other things, it won't go away if he happens to suddenly lose his energy, and his allies can confidently know exactly how long they will have this health regeneration for. As a small quality of life change, his renewal ribbons will continue increasing in speed infinitely until they reach their target.

New Reckoning:

To start off with, this ability applies a Judgement Mark to every enemy directly hit. As I said during the new second ability paragraph, we implement Hallowed Ground into this ability. It is now a circle around Oberon, that applies a Judgement Mark to every enemy that walks over it. It also gives a flat armor buff to any Tenno standing within it. This Hallowed Ground immediately spreads out around Oberon when you cast the allies, so he is capable of taking more abuse while he smashes enemies. This dual nature will allow Oberon two options on how to use it, if he wants to cast this closer to allies so they benefit from bonus armor or where enemies tend to come in so more enemies are marked. In exchange, we just drop the whole health orb thing. No one will miss that.

Miscellaneous Thoughts

Spoiler

Oberon's stats are actually pretty good as is, as such for a suggestion on what to do with Oberon Prime stat buffs give him additional movement speed so he keeps up with faster allies easier, more armor to reinforce the Offensive Support idea, and addition energy to allow him to stay more independent of Trinity. This would make the effort to farm Oberon Prime if he happens to come into existence worth it for those who enjoy the frame. Since he needs a completely new second ability augment, i'd say allowing the buffed target to heal for a bit of damage reflection could be a nice idea.

Once again, I really do love this frames visual design and concept. I just want to see him in practice work far better in squads. I highly doubt I was perfect in my suggestions, so please pitch yours. 

Edited by -FV-Metheria
Accidentally called Augments "Passives"

Additional Passive tweak: Oberon can summon animals to his location

New Sprint speed: 1.1

Renewal: Heals faster 

Hallowed ground: Bigger buff like 100+ armor. Once you touch the Hallowed ground, it sticks to you for the duration of the ability so you don't need to always be on the carpet to always have the buffs. 

Reckoning: Better range at max level (like 23 meters) and enemies over level 50, Reckoning does 50% more damage, ignores 20% of armor and the blinding duration is a lot more effective. 

Edited by (PS4)CaptainIMalik

Here's my take without changing anything too drastic.

Passive: Can't think of anything atm.

1st ability, I think it's fine but I'd rather have the orbs guarantee a radiation proc. So you knockdown + confuse the initial target and confuse + lower the damage of enemies hit by the orbs.

2nd ability, change armor % increase to damage reduction % similar to blessing. Increase base length and width or make it radial. % Damage reduction helps fragile warframes, and makes defense objectives more durable.   

3rd ability, remove the orb and give it the blessing treatment. Instantly heal everyone within affinity range and remove the energy drain. Casting it will provide the initial heal and then heal over-time without additional energy cost. Recasting will provide the initial heal and refresh the heal over-time duration. The heal over-time duration should remain even at full health, currently the sentinel healing mod functions like this. Any downed Tenno within affinity range will gain the increased bleedout timer. This encourages other players to stay nearby.

4th ability is in a good spot, I would love to see an increase to base range, 16-20m instead of 15m. Scales well if you exclude the damage.

I like this rework as it gives him a mobile buff instead of the stationary HG, makes renewal more usable while keeping it unique from blessing which is very nice, and attempts to increase scalability - dont think you quite nailed this one though, reason being he'll be massively op against lvl 30-50 now and still fall off later on since marked enemies will have a cap on bonus damage taken.

You might be interested in a rework I posted recently. My numbers are also off the top of my head but you get the point, also wouldn't mind your version of renewal in there.

Edited by BeardyKyle

change his passive to :

1 hp / sec regen, armor + 10 % for all team

his 1st skill is good, keep it

2nd skill ground to small 44 m2 are serious ?

3rd skill health regen ? we got a trin for that

whats the point of having a 40 heal / secs?

change it to shield 200 and hp heal 200.

4th skill dmg 1250 max lvl is too low make it 2k at least

I would like to see Oberon's passive to be worked into his kit better.

Instead of having to encounter an animal for his passive to work how about he summons a spectre of an animal (rad spectre would look awesome) when he picks up a health orb or maybe kills an eximus (eximus one is a tad random)

They could maul enemies downed by his 1 and 4 for added damage

If Oberon is on HG then they can radiate the buff, prioritizing to stay near allies and Oberon

Renewal could work the same way by radiating the heal

Those all took like 10 minutes to think of, I would like to know how you guys would work his passive into his kit

1 hour ago, TheGoodNamesGotTaken said:

I would like to see Oberon's passive to be worked into his kit better.

Instead of having to encounter an animal for his passive to work how about he summons a spectre of an animal (rad spectre would look awesome) when he picks up a health orb or maybe kills an eximus (eximus one is a tad random)

They could maul enemies downed by his 1 and 4 for added damage

If Oberon is on HG then they can radiate the buff, prioritizing to stay near allies and Oberon

Renewal could work the same way by radiating the heal

Those all took like 10 minutes to think of, I would like to know how you guys would work his passive into his kit

my suggestion for his passive was to make health orbs give him a 2% boost to power strength and armor per orb but he no longer gains health from them.

this scales his powers and makes him more tanky gradually. For instance the armor buff from hg would increase by 2% for each orb while his armor also increases independantly

Definitely one of the better reworks I've seen so far. It's drastic, without being TOO drastic.

My feedback on your ideas:

Passive - Simple, effective against all enemy factions (except Sentients, but those don't appear as a sole faction anyway, yet) and still is true to its current nature. It also fits with the fact that you make enemies more suscepctible to damage with his judgement marks. Good overall tweaking here. Now for some notes/questions/suggestions:
* Moas, would it be of ANY kind? Or just the "plain" Moas? How it would make sense, I dunno, but the Moas' AI / sentience seems animalistic enough to work for me to not care :D
* Chargers seem the most "feral" of the infested, so this works fine by me.
* Also, if this "permanent until death enchantment" thing would happen, I think they should count as "killed" for the sake of not breaking missions like Exterminate and Defense etc.
* Giving the pets some increased damage done is fine I guess, but don't give them damage resistance, instead, make them benefit from Divine Favor ;)

Smite - Considering you gave the judgement mark on all Reckoning targets... Smite's purpose diminished again. Thus, some notes/questions/suggestions.
* I'd arguably suggest that the damage on the main Smite target could be increased a whole bunch (like, "reduce base damage but make it scale with melee mods" kind of damage) so it truly sticks out in his kit.
* The above, or remove the radiation proc from Reckoning. This gives it the a purpose, misdirecting, something Reckoning wouldn't need anymore (considering the mass-marks)
* Something to go along with the above suggested "kill"-nature of this ability: What if an enemy died from Smite (or killed within X seconds after being struck) did something worthwhile for Oberon? Like... grant him mild energy regen (non-stackable, just refreshable)? Just something so he WANTS to use this ability rather frequently and so he more easily can feel a bit less dependant on someone like Trinity.
* Augment is ok, I guess?

Divine Favor - Giving him a DR buff, with the amount of DR also being reflected back (and amplified, I hope, otherwise its damage will be pitiful) sounds incredibly fitting. As he is part Paladin, part Druid, it is an effect that fits both archetypes (Usually known as Retaliation and Thorns, respectively). Now notes/questions/suggestions:
* Is it an aura (like Elemental Ward) or is it a "snap-cast buff" (like Roar)? If the former, it should linger on allies a bit after leaving his presence, if the latter, it really ought to be recastable at any point. I'd prefer the former, as we don't have many "aura"-buffs in Warframe right now (and auras are very Paladin-esque).
* I know you said wild numbers, but just wanna note something here: When handling DR, it has to be handled with good care (something not done all too well overall in Warframe). Lemme explain; 10 - 30% DR is barely noticeable in WF, which is also why singular puncture procs at kind of eh. At 40 - 60% DR, the effects starts to get noticed a bit, without being too over the top either. At 70 - 80% you get some really noticeable effects going on, but it's also going towards "potentially OP" territory. At 90% DR, you are getting TWICE as much help as from 80%... In short, DR needs to be noticeable for Warframe gameplay, but not given too much either, as it scales insanely well. (Imo, enemy damage needs to be reduced, and selfish defense abilities like Shatter Shield and such should cap at max 80-ish percent.)
So, that rambling aside; since this ability is not only a team buff, but also is retaliatory, I'd suggest these numbers:
Make it 40% DR, and cap its buffing with Power Strength at 65% or so. Then, make the retaliated damage amplified back at enemies by like 300% of the damage resisted (unmodifiable?). Or, make the DR static (like 50%), but make the retaliation-damage be the part which scales with Power Strength (starting at 200% amp or so).
* The name suggested seems too tilted towards the Paladin and holy nature. Since he is both Druid and Paladin, I'd go with something more neutral, like "Guardian Oath" or something.
* Don't have any ideas for augments yet, but I bet others have.

Renewal - I need a bit of clarification:
* I dunno if that is what you are suggesting, but do you mean you want to remove the clunky channeling aspect from it, and simply make it a singular cast ability? A more "fire and forget" kind of thing? In other words, something like; Costs 50 energy (and nothing else), sends out a wisp to each ally (and one instantly for Oberon). When touched by the wisp, it heals X instant amount, and then another Y healing over Z duration (more duration now also meaning longer duration and more potency from the heal-over-time). This stays on the enemy, even if they are at max health. Casting another Renewal gives struck allies the X instant heal again, and refreshes the heal-over-time duration. If so... ALL OF MY YES!
* Suggestion/question: Should Renewal still make allies immune to status-effects when fully healed (or even during the entire duration?)? Or is that something possibly scrapped, letting that niche be filled only by staying on the patch created by Reckoning?
* Suggestion: How about Power Range affecting the initial speed of the wisps?
* Casttime needs to be DRASTICALLY reduced. Long casttimes for healing is a no-no in WF.
* Augment: How about it allowing it to resurrect in 2 different ways: Anyone who dies with the buff on is auto-revived, or, a wisp reaching someone who is downed is auto-revived. Either auto-revive forsakes the healing buff (you need to cast again if you wanna keep the healing on that person) Makes it a bit more flexible in useage.

Reckoning - I like merging Hallowed Ground and Reckoning. Slam and burn. I also like that it "marks" all enemies that are slammed/burnt from it (and is also a bit of a unique damage-amp with the ground marking enemies too), indeed giving it something worthwhile for the team. Flat armor and circular groundpatch are both great improvements as well. On to the notes/questions/suggestions:
* As asked on Renewal: Is this ground still granting status-immunity? Or is it moved over to Renewal?
* And ideas to tweak the augment: Holdcasting now detonates all current ground-patches (doing exactly what it does now for Hallowed Ground), at the downside that now you can max only have 4 patches existing at once. Problem though: Radiation-procs (while nigh necessary to be a worthwhile augment) could potentially diminish Smite's role... AGAIN. Smite really needs to have something unique about it.

So yeah, I like it overall though, giving each move a distinct use:
Divine Favor is the protection/retaliation-move.
Renewal is the healing-move.
Reckoning is the flexible one; For allies it's armor+status immunity, for enemies it is flat damage+snap CC+damage-amp.
Smite needs something extra though, as suggested, possibly making any or all of these: The "killer"/misdirection/sustain-move.

3 minutes ago, Azamagon said:
Spoiler

Definitely one of the better reworks I've seen so far. It's drastic, without being TOO drastic.

My feedback on your ideas:

Passive - Simple, effective against all enemy factions (except Sentients, but those don't appear as a sole faction anyway, yet) and still is true to its current nature. It also fits with the fact that you make enemies more suscepctible to damage with his judgement marks. Good overall tweaking here. Now for some notes/questions/suggestions:
* Moas, would it be of ANY kind? Or just the "plain" Moas? How it would make sense, I dunno, but the Moas' AI / sentience seems animalistic enough to work for me to not care :D
* Chargers seem the most "feral" of the infested, so this works fine by me.
* Also, if this "permanent until death enchantment" thing would happen, I think they should count as "killed" for the sake of not breaking missions like Exterminate and Defense etc.
* Giving the pets some increased damage done is fine I guess, but don't give them damage resistance, instead, make them benefit from Divine Favor ;)

Smite - Considering you gave the judgement mark on all Reckoning targets... Smite's purpose diminished again. Thus, some notes/questions/suggestions.
* I'd arguably suggest that the damage on the main Smite target could be increased a whole bunch (like, "reduce base damage but make it scale with melee mods" kind of damage) so it truly sticks out in his kit.
* The above, or remove the radiation proc from Reckoning. This gives it the a purpose, misdirecting, something Reckoning wouldn't need anymore (considering the mass-marks)
* Something to go along with the above suggested "kill"-nature of this ability: What if an enemy died from Smite (or killed within X seconds after being struck) did something worthwhile for Oberon? Like... grant him mild energy regen (non-stackable, just refreshable)? Just something so he WANTS to use this ability rather frequently and so he more easily can feel a bit less dependant on someone like Trinity.
* Augment is ok, I guess?

Divine Favor - Giving him a DR buff, with the amount of DR also being reflected back (and amplified, I hope, otherwise its damage will be pitiful) sounds incredibly fitting. As he is part Paladin, part Druid, it is an effect that fits both archetypes (Usually known as Retaliation and Thorns, respectively). Now notes/questions/suggestions:
* Is it an aura (like Elemental Ward) or is it a "snap-cast buff" (like Roar)? If the former, it should linger on allies a bit after leaving his presence, if the latter, it really ought to be recastable at any point. I'd prefer the former, as we don't have many "aura"-buffs in Warframe right now (and auras are very Paladin-esque).
* I know you said wild numbers, but just wanna note something here: When handling DR, it has to be handled with good care (something not done all too well overall in Warframe). Lemme explain; 10 - 30% DR is barely noticeable in WF, which is also why singular puncture procs at kind of eh. At 40 - 60% DR, the effects starts to get noticed a bit, without being too over the top either. At 70 - 80% you get some really noticeable effects going on, but it's also going towards "potentially OP" territory. At 90% DR, you are getting TWICE as much help as from 80%... In short, DR needs to be noticeable for Warframe gameplay, but not given too much either, as it scales insanely well. (Imo, enemy damage needs to be reduced, and selfish defense abilities like Shatter Shield and such should cap at max 80-ish percent.)
So, that rambling aside; since this ability is not only a team buff, but also is retaliatory, I'd suggest these numbers:
Make it 40% DR, and cap its buffing with Power Strength at 65% or so. Then, make the retaliated damage amplified back at enemies by like 300% of the damage resisted (unmodifiable?). Or, make the DR static (like 50%), but make the retaliation-damage be the part which scales with Power Strength (starting at 200% amp or so).
* The name suggested seems too tilted towards the Paladin and holy nature. Since he is both Druid and Paladin, I'd go with something more neutral, like "Guardian Oath" or something.
* Don't have any ideas for augments yet, but I bet others have.

Renewal - I need a bit of clarification:
* I dunno if that is what you are suggesting, but do you mean you want to remove the clunky channeling aspect from it, and simply make it a singular cast ability? A more "fire and forget" kind of thing? In other words, something like; Costs 50 energy (and nothing else), sends out a wisp to each ally (and one instantly for Oberon). When touched by the wisp, it heals X instant amount, and then another Y healing over Z duration (more duration now also meaning longer duration and more potency from the heal-over-time). This stays on the enemy, even if they are at max health. Casting another Renewal gives struck allies the X instant heal again, and refreshes the heal-over-time duration. If so... ALL OF MY YES!
* Suggestion/question: Should Renewal still make allies immune to status-effects when fully healed (or even during the entire duration?)? Or is that something possibly scrapped, letting that niche be filled only by staying on the patch created by Reckoning?
* Suggestion: How about Power Range affecting the initial speed of the wisps?
* Casttime needs to be DRASTICALLY reduced. Long casttimes for healing is a no-no in WF.
* Augment: How about it allowing it to resurrect in 2 different ways: Anyone who dies with the buff on is auto-revived, or, a wisp reaching someone who is downed is auto-revived. Either auto-revive forsakes the healing buff (you need to cast again if you wanna keep the healing on that person) Makes it a bit more flexible in useage.

Reckoning - I like merging Hallowed Ground and Reckoning. Slam and burn. I also like that it "marks" all enemies that are slammed/burnt from it (and is also a bit of a unique damage-amp with the ground marking enemies too), indeed giving it something worthwhile for the team. Flat armor and circular groundpatch are both great improvements as well. On to the notes/questions/suggestions:
* As asked on Renewal: Is this ground still granting status-immunity? Or is it moved over to Renewal?
* And ideas to tweak the augment: Holdcasting now detonates all current ground-patches (doing exactly what it does now for Hallowed Ground), at the downside that now you can max only have 4 patches existing at once. Problem though: Radiation-procs (while nigh necessary to be a worthwhile augment) could potentially diminish Smite's role... AGAIN. Smite really needs to have something unique about it.

So yeah, I like it overall though, giving each move a distinct use:
Divine Favor is the protection/retaliation-move.
Renewal is the healing-move.
Reckoning is the flexible one; For allies it's armor+status immunity, for enemies it is flat damage+snap CC+damage-amp.
Smite needs something extra though, as suggested, possibly making any or all of these: The "killer"/misdirection/sustain-move.

I uh....may have forgot about the whole Status heal thing. I've been playing this guy for three years and he still can do so much random stuff I can't remember it all...in any case Renewal should probably lose it since it may get a bit dumb if every time you got to full health you were no longer status'd, and keep it on Hallowed Ground 2.0. I was thinking of a targeted buff for his new second ability like Smite Infusion, since this is a mobile game. And yes, I mean make Renewal a one time cast that costs energy once, then reaches allies giving them a instant heal and healing regen buff for [Insert Length] duration. I think removing the radiation proc from reckoning would actually be very good for both Smite and Reckoning. You see, removing the proc means Smite has something unique, while if enemies were irradiated enemies that are walking up may stop moving to shoot the irradiated targets instead, which means they won't step into the marking ground.

Smite is actually quite decent...

It's a singletarget radiation dbuff which spreads puncture dbuffs to nearby enemys.

The single radiation target falls victim to every nearby enemy, what in a sense makes it the strongest first ability in the game, not only extending every others damage due to the fireflies but also by offering Cc and enemy damage.

Same goes for reckoning, which could have duration to its radiation but then again, what was it? 12, maybe 14 seconds radiation doesn't even need it...It's nyx chaos with a innitial knockdown and damage attached. It's range is a bit low but it's frickin decent.

CC plus damage is allready plenty reason to justify his existance.

Hallowed ground and renewal ARE fundamentaly flawed tho. No use denying that. The way renewal works is just in full conflict with HG and the ground...damage isn't his fortee, the status ward and buff is,but then again, it's true...not only that armored frames hardly need it, they are not made to avoid damage...hell most of the heavy armor frames heavily profit from using melee...why would they stand in a specific area? But the solution is easy...make it a numeric buff.

What he needs is a new passive and heavy tweaks including a full rework of renewal but no, he doesn't need a full rework if you ask me. Don't let yourself get pinned down on this whole "role" bullS#&$ the endgame tends to become. He doesn't need a role...he needs a balanced standpoint compared to other frames, which simply isn't the case right now.

Oh boy, I love Oberon, but he sucks! He really does try to be a bit of every class to be honest, simply falling short on everything; damage, tanking, healing, etc... 

Personally, his powers are just misused and some what misappropriated. His one should be a combination of Renewal and Smite. What I mean is it should work the same, but the enemy should become immobilized and produce healing waves dependent on duration and intensity. Sort of like Trinity's energy vampire, but instead of giving energy, it gives health. It also will give off the damage seekers that normally occur. 

His two would still be Hallowed Ground, but it would be a large circular area. This ability would cast a small area and would expand when the 2 is held. As the Hallowed Ground expands Oberon releases healing waves of energy like his original 3. These waves slow and damage enemies  and scale based on how many are on the area and how large the area has become. Release to set area and end healing effect. 

It would also make allies immune to status effect and slowly drain the health of enemies on it into energy for the team. It would also make allies immune to knockdown and make the enemies take more damage from other sources. Enemies killed on Hallowed Ground by Smite would give health and energy to the team . 

His number 3 would be scrapped and replaced with Righteous Fury; a buff that effectively makes the entire team immortal for set time and increases power strength. It also increases all damage of allies if they are on Hallowed Ground.

This ability will be strengthened to almost 90% damage resistance when cast on a Hallowed Ground that has been charged by enemies being killed on it. So a Hallowed Ground that lasts a long time and builds stacks like Nidus, but only strengthens the 3. 

Oberon's final would be similar to Reckoning, but different. It is called Tree of Judgement or simply Final Judgement. Oberon channels void energy into growing a massive void tree that whisks enemies into the air and holds them in place draining their health and energy and when they die they release radiation projectiles that seek other enemies. Enemies that are on Hallowed Ground when 4 is cast will be held stationary and energy drain increased.Also a charged Hallowed Ground will increase damage of 4 by 90%.

Pressing 4 again destroys the tree creating an explosion that deals 10% of the damage inflicted on enemies. If the duration of the void tree reaches zero it dissipates slamming enemies to the ground.

His passive should be enemies have a chance to panic or side with Tenno for a short duration (up to 5 and within 10 m) and are still vulnerable to damage. 

I wrote more than I thought I would. Frankly, his original abilities just didn't do enough "justice" and did not synergize well and I took a little inspiration from Nidus as well in that respect. 

here is an idea that i had that could replace oberon's 4th

make it a mix of novas and the ameshas (but make it take most of the damage, not all) 1sts and make it a toggle that replenishes the orbs. when an orb hits an enemy it will still deal radiation but to make it scale better it will also proc some punc.  

this would make oberon a powerful cc + tank warframe

19 hours ago, BeardyKyle said:

we talking high range reckoning and good weapons? Cause I dont see how else you pull that off

Yeah, high range and efficiency is pretty much endgame for him, unless you're more supportively focused, which would call for high strength and duration. I might make another video soon, but I'm in need of platinum, so I can't really prioritize it.