Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I think it damaged my GPU

saiprithvi123

Just yesterday, an alert came out of a mission with reward as Orokin Catalyst's blueprint (I forgot the mission's name and planet). I joined the mission and it was lagging like hell (I have a bad PC). After completing that mission, my FPS was dropped by 10. Normally my game runs around 45 FPS in my ship but now it runs at around 35 FPS. The game runs on my AMD Radeon GPU. But from then, all my games which run on AMD became unplayable.

Here are my system details :-

System Name : DESKTOP-6E4LBRS

System Model : HP Notebook

System Type : x64-based PC

Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) : 4.00 GB

I have switchable graphics - Intel HD 520 and AMD Radeon

Intel HD Graphics 520 :-

Shader version : 5.1

OpenGL version : 4.4

OpenCL version : 2.0

AMD Radeon :-

Graphics Chipset : AMD Radeon R5 M330

Graphics Bus Capability : PCI Express 3.0

Maximum Bus Setting : PCI Express 3.0x4

Memory Size : 2048 MB

Memory Type : DDR3

Core Clock in MHz : 1030 MHz

Memory Clock in MHz : 1000 MHz

Total Memory Bandwidth in GByte/s : 16.0 GByte/s

I just want to inform the developers about this incident and hope that it never happens again to anyone.

16 minutes ago, saiprithvi123 said:

AMD Radeon

There's your problem.

Jokes aside, HP computers aren't exactly renowned for keeping temperatures where they ought to be. I'd check my temperatures. Also, if you're like me and haven't cleaned your pc since the last ice age, it's worth a shot. 

23 hours ago, Misanthroplonker said:

There's your problem.

Jokes aside, HP computers aren't exactly renowned for keeping temperatures where they ought to be. I'd check my temperatures. Also, if you're like me and haven't cleaned your pc since the last ice age, it's worth a shot. 

I have a laptop.

9 minutes ago, saiprithvi123 said:

Is there  any way of repairing it ?

With or without voiding whatever warranty is left?

Seeing that this is an HP notebook, it'll likely have proprietary parts as well as most onboard GPU's in laptops being soldered onto the motherboard making changes impossible. Does it allow you to swap out the graphics processor?

Try using coreTemp to monitor heat, it's what I used before I upgraded to a mobo that has in-built temp software.  Maybe also look into software that will reduce your clock rates instead of thermal throtelling and potentially damaging you system further.  Side thought, maybe upgrade your ram, most laptops have a panel on the underside you can unscrew and take the ram out (I'm sure it doesn't void the warranty).

Edited by Starfreak911
Extra suggestion

I'm guessing that the Radeon is overheating and the system has an automatic failsafe that downclocks it (It can't really be just throttling itself if you see more than 2x decrease in performance IMO.) Radeon GPUs from those generations are really bad at dissipating heat, especially when you put one in a laptop.

Also, I'm running Warframe on an HD 530 at 950MHz just fine, if your HD 520 is at 800MHz or above and has access to enough RAM, it should be able to perform just fine.

Also, you can't really "repair" it, the best you can do is to buy one of the big laptop pads with fans or take it to a repair shop and have the GPU/CPU cooler, heat pipes and thermal compound checked and reapplied.

1 hour ago, Misanthroplonker said:

There's your problem.

My old HP laptop heated the CPU socket and melted the plastic around it. Can't say that all HP laptops are terrible, but having these issues with a Skylake processor is really weird considering their low TDP. You're probably correct, HP messed up big time here.

Edited by Praxxor

On 09/01/2017 at 3:47 PM, SurrealEdge said:

With or without voiding whatever warranty is left?

Seeing that this is an HP notebook, it'll likely have proprietary parts as well as most onboard GPU's in laptops being soldered onto the motherboard making changes impossible. Does it allow you to swap out the graphics processor?

If there is no quicker way, I think it will be better to take advantage of the warranty.

Just now, saiprithvi123 said:

If there is no quicker way, I think it will be better to take advantage of the warranty.

You'll probably want to follow advice from other posters in this thread, as there are possible safety measures in place to prevent it from overheating. If nothing comes up from other suggestions, the warranty is the next best solution if there are damages beyond what you can troubleshoot.

However, from my past experience with an HP product, they'll take a quick look and ship it back as is without touching much of anything. Or wipe the HDD/SDD and claim it as being repaired. So keep that in mind when giving them a reason why it's being sent to them.

On 09/01/2017 at 5:58 PM, SurrealEdge said:

You'll probably want to follow advice from other posters in this thread, as there are possible safety measures in place to prevent it from overheating. If nothing comes up from other suggestions, the warranty is the next best solution if there are damages beyond what you can troubleshoot.

However, from my past experience with an HP product, they'll take a quick look and ship it back as is without touching much of anything. Or wipe the HDD/SDD and claim it as being repaired. So keep that in mind when giving them a reason why it's being sent to them.

I never saw my PC get overheated, it never goes up than 85* C.

I've noticed a gradual increase in demands from the game despite Steve's saying they improve performance and all. Even on the absolute minimum settings (well, except HDR and Adaptive exposure, else I won't see a thing on infested leves) I'm sometimes forced to play in half a window size (1360x768) so the game doesn't feel sluggish. Despite this, my old GTX 550Ti screams at me with it's cooler (60+% performance for 60+ C°), whereas a year before I could even play with high textures and shaders and on the full screen (1920x1080).

2 hours ago, saiprithvi123 said:

I never saw my PC get overheated, it never goes up than 85* C.

85% is too much. Something is wrong. With that temperature you risk serious hardware damage. Normal, prefered temperature is between 40 - 65.

On 09/01/2017 at 4:55 PM, Praxxor said:

I'm guessing that the Radeon is overheating and the system has an automatic failsafe that downclocks it (It can't really be just throttling itself if you see more than 2x decrease in performance IMO.)

If my system downclocked my GPU, is it possible to revert that change ?

Edited by saiprithvi123

57 minutes ago, saiprithvi123 said:

If my system downclocked my GPU, is it possible to revert that change ?

If it's underclocking by itself then you'd better leave it like that until you have your laptop checked, download MSI Afterburner to see the clock speeds and temperatures. If you revert the change through afterburner the system may not be able to revert it and your laptop may become permanently damaged (you ARE technically bypassing a failsafe)

4 hours ago, saiprithvi123 said:

As my AMD is spoiled, Is it better to play with Intel HD ?

And as my GPU is spoilt like this, does it void the warranty ?

No, if you didn't open the laptop then the warranty is also intact, in that case DO NOT DOWNLOAD AFTERBURNER OR ANY OVERCLOCKING SOFTWARE, and take it directly to the store which is supposed to fix your stuff. Downloading that software will definitely void the warranty because you can't prove that you didn't burn the GPU by giving it too much voltage.

On 09/01/2017 at 10:51 PM, Praxxor said:

No, if you didn't open the laptop then the warranty is also intact, in that case DO NOT DOWNLOAD AFTERBURNER OR ANY OVERCLOCKING SOFTWARE, and take it directly to the store which is supposed to fix your stuff. Downloading that software will definitely void the warranty because you can't prove that you didn't burn the GPU by giving it too much voltage.

I had downloaded MSI Afterburner way long before this happened. Is it possible to remove it from my PC without any trace left ?

Also, IDK why, but "Core voltage", "Temp. limit (C*)" & "Fan speed" sliders were locked in the afterburner window. This means I had no means to play around with the voltage. Will the warranty still be void ?

And I did open the laptop for posting this (I just opened it in the normal way with my hands, no screwdrivers).

Edited by saiprithvi123

29 minutes ago, saiprithvi123 said:

I had downloaded MSI Afterburner way long before this happened. Is it possible to remove it from my PC without any trace left ?

Yeah you can just remove it from control panel or using the uninstall executable to remove it.

29 minutes ago, saiprithvi123 said:

Also, IDK why, but "Core voltage", "Temp. limit (C*)" & "Fan speed" sliders were locked in the afterburner window. This means I had no means to play around with the voltage. Will the warranty still be void ?

Depends on the seller, trust me, most will not repair your laptop for free if they just find Afterburner installed, unless you live in Australia probably.

30 minutes ago, saiprithvi123 said:

And I did open the laptop for posting this (I just opened it in the normal way with my hands, no screwdrivers).

By "open" I mean opening the panels and getting to the board and electronics obviously...

23 hours ago, Praxxor said:

Depends on the seller, trust me, most will not repair your laptop for free if they just find Afterburner installed, unless you live in Australia probably.

So if I uninstall it, will everything be alright ?

23 hours ago, Praxxor said:

By "open" I mean opening the panels and getting to the board and electronics obviously...

I knew that, I wanted to make people go LOL

5 hours ago, Bouldershoulder said:

I've noticed a gradual increase in demands from the game despite Steve's saying they improve performance and all. Even on the absolute minimum settings (well, except HDR and Adaptive exposure, else I won't see a thing on infested leves) I'm sometimes forced to play in half a window size (1360x768) so the game doesn't feel sluggish. Despite this, my old GTX 550Ti screams at me with it's cooler (60+% performance for 60+ C°), whereas a year before I could even play with high textures and shaders and on the full screen (1920x1080).

This is what i have tried to get attention to, so far it feels like im wasting my time