Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Alt-fire Mechanic For All Weapons?

(PSN)LoisGordils

Should all weapons have an alt-fire mechanic? I feel that it would make Warframe's already impressive arsenal even more interesting and versatile. I'll give out some examples:

Ignis: Shoots out a fireball that consumes ten ammo per shot and causes an AOE on impact

Angstrum: combines all rockets in the magazine into a single projectile. Covers less area, AOE and damage are dependent on the amount of rounds left in the magazine. 

Torid: Detonates the gas sac. Damage is dependent on the duration the gas cloud had left before detonation.

Tiberon: Swing the Tiberon's blades at enemies. Dealing the weapon's total damage as Slash

Opticor: Releases a condensed ball of light energy. Damage is 85% impact and creates an AOE + knockdown. Primary fire's AOE is replaced with innate punch-through 

Miter: Blades that are in mid-air detonate. Sending shrapnel at surrounding enemies while applying a Slash proc. Damage is dependent on charge time.

Snipers: Aiming no longer automatically scopes in. Rather, using the scope is tied to the altfire key; further clicks adjust zoom levels. 

Latron: Zoom passive is now an alt-fire mechanic. Shots fired with the zoom activated grants bonus crit chance. 

Ogris: Launches napalm bombs. Augment changed to Nightwatch Seeker (rockets will now pursue the enemy that was in your aiming reticule when the shot was fired)

Thoughts? Leave some ideas too :)

naw, i dont think that all weapons should have alt fires, considering the time and resources it would take to do that, since you obviously cant have all of them do the same thing, 2-3 maybe at most. besides, it'd mean less possible ideas for future weapons. and of course, theres always the fact that the more complicated you make something, the more likely something goes wrong

7 minutes ago, xXDeadsinxX said:

No I disagree, not all weapons should have a alt fire mechanic. That would 1. Break the game and 2. Make no sense.

How would it break the game? In a game where things like Mesa, Simulor and Tigris Prime exist... how will it break the game?

Also, how doesn't it make sense? Really now? 

14 minutes ago, NightBlitz said:

naw, i dont think that all weapons should have alt fires, considering the time and resources it would take to do that, since you obviously cant have all of them do the same thing, 2-3 maybe at most. besides, it'd mean less possible ideas for future weapons. and of course, theres always the fact that the more complicated you make something, the more likely something goes wrong

Ideas are always available. There are hundreds of fan concepts out there

14 minutes ago, Extroah said:

Wouldnt be a bad idea for some Weapons, but Angstrum would be OP yet again and Ignis probably also.

*looks at Simulor, Zarr, Kulstar* Really, kid?

13 minutes ago, John89brensen said:

Im not sure if all weapons should have an alt fire, some would make no sense, on the other hand its a game about cybernetic ninjas in space so...

What i would support is a fire selector for all or most of all assault rifles, with both benefits and drawbacks.

Exactly 

2 minutes ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

Won't take long for them to get the Nerfhammer. I'd rather see all other Weapons buffed, personally, but we all know how this will go, even if it takes some time.

2 minutes ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

Exactly 

I always appreciate when someone posts a suggestion, and when someone says they don't like it OP gets real defensive.

It would take a lot of time, and remove the uniqueness of weapons that do have Alt-Fire. Not to mention that a lot of the fan concepts just aren't that good and wouldn't work in the game, often having way overpowered stats and mostly being time/gravity/darkness/samurai themed frames or weapons. I mean what would you even put on a weapon like the Latron or Soma? Automatic fire? A Grenade Launcher? But why? To make the game more stupidly cheeseable?

8 minutes ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

How would it break the game? In a game where things like Mesa, Simulor and Tigris Prime exist... how will it break the game?

Also, how doesn't it make sense? Really now? 

It breaks the game because there's OP weapons like the Simulor, or Tonkor. Imagine that getting a alt fire mechanic, it would still be stupidly OP. It also makes no sense whatsoever because not all weapons in the game need a alt fire mechanic. Let's look at the Soma, a very good primary weapon. Now if a alt fire mechanic was on it, it would basically be the Stratavar but better. Why would we need the same type of weapons with the alt fire mechanic but some are better than others? Alt fire mechanic makes no sense what so ever, sure it's a fun mimic but no.

4 minutes ago, JSharpie said:

I always appreciate when someone posts a suggestion, and when someone says they don't like it OP gets real defensive.

It would take a lot of time, and remove the uniqueness of weapons that do have Alt-Fire. Not to mention that a lot of the fan concepts just aren't that good and wouldn't work in the game, often having way overpowered stats and mostly being time/gravity/darkness/samurai themed frames or weapons. I mean what would you even put on a weapon like the Latron or Soma? Automatic fire? A Grenade Launcher? But why? To make the game more stupidly cheeseable?

For the Latron: Make its annoying zoom an altfire. 10% extra crit chance in this mode

10 minutes ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

i should have added the requirement of actually being both viable and good, cus, unfortunately, most player designs are at best one of those, very few are both. an consider the number of weapons available right now, even if similar alt-fires were used on 2-3 weapons each, you're still going to burn through a ton of ideas, most of which will end up being novel, with only a hand full seeing regular use. then you have to consider the time to implement those ideas, which is more than adding a line or two to the weapon, a lot more, and this increases the odds of bugs popping up, which leads to even more time spent trying to fix those bugs that were created by adding those alt fires. this all adds up to a ton of time and resources that would have probably been better spent on something else.

The thing is that some weapons could, and many shouldn't have any alt-fire.

For exemple, putting a Fire selector on some Burst/Semi-Auto guns could be a way to make them a bit more enjoyable and usefull since the Riven Mods weren't quite enough to surpass the casual OP weapons. Guns like the Hind or the Tiberon could benefit of a powerfull Semi-Auto mode, unlike the Stradavar (imo). However, we still need simple weapons that are easy to use, and it would be a waste of idea to give every weapon an alt-fire. A different one for every Bow, AR, LMG/SMG, Sniper and Launchers that doesn't have any? Do you know how many guns there are in WF?

Also, your "exemples" of alt-fire are, for most of them, explosive-related, wich makes no sense since having explosives on every guns is like having none. Same with alt-fires. Moderation is key.

Edited by Blade_Wolf_16

34 minutes ago, xXDeadsinxX said:

It breaks the game because there's OP weapons like the Simulor, or Tonkor. Imagine that getting a alt fire mechanic, it would still be stupidly OP. It also makes no sense whatsoever because not all weapons in the game need a alt fire mechanic. Let's look at the Soma, a very good primary weapon. Now if a alt fire mechanic was on it, it would basically be the Stratavar but better. Why would we need the same type of weapons with the alt fire mechanic but some are better than others? Alt fire mechanic makes no sense what so ever, sure it's a fun mimic but no.

I don't understand your logic. 

You have predefined variables on what an alt-fire mechanic would be. Also, the Simulor already has an alt-fire. 

No one says Soma gets a single fire alt-fire mechanic, that would make little sense as the only thing the single fire has to offer is higher crit and considering the weapon already has the potential to achieve red crits with nothing more than headshots, there's no need for that. 

I'm in favor of alt-fire on weapons that sorely need a boost, such weapons as the Hind, Flux Rifle and Burston should be given alt-fires that compliment their designs. Hind, being a Grineer faction weapon, could have an elbow sudo-melee attack that opens enemies for finishers. 

However, I'm not in favor of giving an alt-fire mechanic to all weapons, as there are some that should not have them. Say, bows and explosive weapons. They're powerful already. 

Also highly in favor of the idea of dynamically toggling the Sniper scope. (Yes, I know there's an option in the HUD settings.) I'm generally highly in favor of any idea that lets us change our zoom at will, with more accuracy than just pressing the ADS button and letting it go to whatever the predefined zoom is for the weapon.