The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Whats the point of riven mods?

THegolo123

Warframe is a game that drives its players with loot.

For all these years, it has been a constant struggle of developers providing new content and then players consuming it - typically quicker than it takes to create. Riven mods are a procedurally generated loot. The benefit of this is that it's not a plateau that players can simply 'complete' like other additions to the game.

Even if a veteran player has a healthy supply of powerful Rivens, they will still be motivated to try for more in the hopes they may get one marginally better. In this sense, they provide an endless repeatable task for veterans to strive for. This is pretty much the definition of endgame, even if it is somewhat tedious and RNG-locked -- although that too is common in endgame.

That's the point.

The original ideas as explained by DE was that they would make players revisit older weapons and make them viable again. However this has not been the case, the meta weapons got stronger, and the weak got a bit better but still not useable on anything that would be considered a real threat.  example, the Sicarus Prime. It's rivens are meh at best, but the recent buff it got made it from trash tier to.....Not bad really.

What rivens really do IMO is make players throw their plat down one way or another. If it's buying them from other players, players may buy more plat so they can afford it...etc. etc..etc.

RNG mods existed once before a LONG time ago and they were thrown out back then due to many of the same issues we're having now but I feel like rivens are here to stay and I'm fine with that, I just hope Rivens find their niche groove and get the bugs worked out and balanced.

Riven should have been mods that completely change one weapon's gameplay instead of dumb +stat.

I'd perfectly imagine a Riven giving your Cernos a -95% Impact +1000% Slash/Puncture to switch it from Impact based to Slash/Puncture based. Same goes for Crit weapons that would become Status weapons. These mods would've been like the Stance mods but without any polarization gain/loss. Just a full change in the base stats (so that a newly Crit weapon would fully benefit from regular mods) of each weapons.

Straight +x% stat increase is just powercreeping without any intend to balance anything.

I was excited when I got Rivens in Sorties, but for the last weeks, I'm hoping not to get one because I don't really care about them anymore.

Edited by Chewarette

3 hours ago, THegolo123 said:

A simple dmg buff and increase stats in genearl improves a weapon easily. So why is there riven mods? All is needed is to buff the weapons.

to pretend there is some form of endgame goal when in fact we still only have endless games that fill that gap and to encourage trading and thus platinum sales due to players going mad trying to buy so called god mods.

4 hours ago, THegolo123 said:

A simple dmg buff and increase stats in genearl improves a weapon easily. So why is there riven mods? All is needed is to buff the weapons.

New system, loads of things to farm, collect and trade with it. Platinum is sure to flow and players are sure to spend many hours playing.

Their purpose was never to ONLY buff weapons, since every gun has Rivens.

Edited by -BM-Leonhart

6 hours ago, SergeiTheBeast said:

The original ideas as explained by DE was that they would make players revisit older weapons and make them viable again. However this has not been the case, the meta weapons got stronger, and the weak got a bit better but still not useable on anything that would be considered a real threat.

This is not true at all. The really strong weapons like simulor, Tigris Prime, etc. barely benefit from rivens at all. Those mods are barely even worth a mod slot. Meanwhile weapons like the tiberon get such strong mods that they suddenly are usable in much higher-level content than they were before. Initially, when there wasn't a disposition system, meta weapons got stronger while lesser weapons got left behind. But now the dispositions scale so hard that the stated purpose is being fulfilled for the most part.

And it's been working for me! I've found new life in my Burston Prime, Tiberon, Prisma Gorgon, grinlok, Lato, mutalist cernos, akzani, furis, and others. In fact I've really been enjoying myself collecting rivens and the kuva to roll them. It's given me a reason to play. Some of you guys seem to see evil plots and/or incompetence behind everything DE does, but in all honesty I'm having a blast. It's great getting buffs to weapons I barely used before (or used despite their lack of performance) and it keeps me playing and having fun.

And at the end of the day, that's the most important thing: having fun. It IS a game, after all. The riven mods are fun, so I have no complaints.

1 hour ago, Azrael said:

This is not true at all. The really strong weapons like simulor, Tigris Prime, etc. barely benefit from rivens at all. Those mods are barely even worth a mod slot. Meanwhile weapons like the tiberon get such strong mods that they suddenly are usable in much higher-level content than they were before. Initially, when there wasn't a disposition system, meta weapons got stronger while lesser weapons got left behind. But now the dispositions scale so hard that the stated purpose is being fulfilled for the most part.

And it's been working for me! I've found new life in my Burston Prime, Tiberon, Prisma Gorgon, grinlok, Lato, mutalist cernos, akzani, furis, and others. In fact I've really been enjoying myself collecting rivens and the kuva to roll them. It's given me a reason to play. Some of you guys seem to see evil plots and/or incompetence behind everything DE does, but in all honesty I'm having a blast. It's great getting buffs to weapons I barely used before (or used despite their lack of performance) and it keeps me playing and having fun.

And at the end of the day, that's the most important thing: having fun. It IS a game, after all. The riven mods are fun, so I have no complaints.

Well considering how stupid some of them are. I got a Daikyu riven, it's stats were crap so I rerolled it. Upon reroll I got -Recoil, +Magazine capacity. Those stats are both useless on a bow. Plus we can get negative damage and all sorts of things. Thus DE has just introduced another broken mechanic into the game forcing us to grind over and over to get what we want. Of course rivens only have like a 1/11 chance at dropping per day since the rewards reset every day. It's messed with the in game economy like crazy. The cheapest crappy Soma mod I saw was 250p. So of course the odds of us getting what we really want are astronomically slim. We have RNG to get a Riven, random generator that determines the weapon it's for, and RNG to determine the stats. I do not endorse the rivens. An actual change to the stats of underused weapons would be more acceptable. That's why I view Rivens as bad. Plus now everytime a weapon stinks people are just gonna say "Git gud, git riven make weapon gud m8. Dun be skrub newb." That's what I've seen from this community. 

1 minute ago, (PS4)salovel1991 said:

We have RNG to get a Riven, random generator that determines the weapon it's for, and RNG to determine the stats. I do not endorse the rivens. An actual change to the stats of underused weapons would be more acceptable. That's why I view Rivens as bad. Plus now everytime a weapon stinks people are just gonna say "Git gud, git riven make weapon gud m8. Dun be skrub newb." That's what I've seen from this community. 

This.

When you introduce RNG to influence the power and stats of a player, you create inequality in the game: the wealthy players will be more powerful than poor players because they can afford Riven mods that cost 3k plat. You already see this happening in the trade section of the forums where there are numerous new forum accounts created only to advertise and sell Riven mods for plat (they only have 1 post).

This obviously has no benefits for the community because it divides us and trends Warframe from F2P to P2P.

My theory:

1) they sell for HUGE sums of platinum

2) they need huge amount of kuva so people grind and buy the booster for platinum

3) they need slots, so people buy riven slots for platinum

4) they need formas and they are a pain to farm/build, reason why formas are amongst the best seller items in the platinum market.

5) as a side effect they make people build weapons they wouldn t have, selling weapon slots...for platinum :)

Tradeable platinum is only generated by real moneys

I could bet the idea didn't come from a "game" developer...already seen this stuff in many mmorpg.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2017 at 8:42 AM, AM-Bunny said:

Warframe is a game that drives its players with loot.

For all these years, it has been a constant struggle of developers providing new content and then players consuming it - typically quicker than it takes to create. Riven mods are a procedurally generated loot. The benefit of this is that it's not a plateau that players can simply 'complete' like other additions to the game.

Even if a veteran player has a healthy supply of powerful Rivens, they will still be motivated to try for more in the hopes they may get one marginally better. In this sense, they provide an endless repeatable task for veterans to strive for. This is pretty much the definition of endgame, even if it is somewhat tedious and RNG-locked -- although that too is common in endgame.

That's the point.

U sure love band aid fixes 

On 17/01/2017 at 2:35 PM, ashrah said:

trough rivens ppl will trow more cash in game...that is  point

That's the salty way of seeing things, as i see it, it's an incentive to farm and make weapons i like/love viable.

2 minutes ago, Syln said:

That's the salty way of seeing things, as i see it, it's an incentive to farm and make weapons i like/love viable.

its not salty.... they hve evidence what ppl wepons like.... they could    simple buff that wepons...  but  implementing... strong mods with high  rng factor.. its made with purpose  to ppl buy more plat... and get mods they wish...2-3k plat mod... and its many ppl who will buy it.. but in same time 75% plat discounts are reduced a lot...

On 17.01.2017 at 4:34 PM, THegolo123 said:

To make powerful weapons even more powerful!

All this salt. 

I enjoy Rivens a lot, they've given me more options for my arsenal, I've recently fallen in love with my Rivened Vasto Prime and Supra. 

Rivens aren't a necessity in the game, they offer miniscule advantages to current high tier weapons while significantly buffing some low-midtier weapons and they offer more build variety for weapons. U're still going to see bigger numbers with unrivened Tonkor compared to stuff like Strun with a powerful Riven. 

I just don't get the massive hate.