Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

TennoGen Round 7

[DE]Taylor

Why is Yatus being blueballed, guys? Seriously, I'm ready to buy his Ember Vesta skin, Trinity Holy skin, Excalibur Izanagi skin, Ash Vagabond skin, and Altair Syandana the second they'd go live. But... *grumble*

I'd air out my grievances with the Mesa Graxx pick, but not only am I pretty sure you've said on a previous devstream that you'll do all of the Graxx skins Faven makes, but if I pick apart how much I think it's a serious letdown compared to the rest of the set any more, I'll work up a brain aneurysm.

C'mon, guys. When is it Yatus time?

14 hours ago, [DE]Taylor said:

If you want a few tips on what to avoid to ensure you don't need to make any last-minute revisions, here's a list:

• Avoid perfect shapes - especially circles.
  • Make sure all surfaces, including smooth ones, still have somewhat of a grungy texture. Even smooth bone has flaws so keep that in mind when creating that organic aesthetic!
  • Be sure to keep to one Faction (unless you are trying to emulate Infested taking over a Grineer/Corpus/etc. piece)
  • Keep clipping and weapon-sights in mind when designing skins or Syandana. Large pieces behind the head can interrupt the player's aim and overall in-game experience.
  • Please do not add obvious facial features to Warframes. That means anything that would resemble eyes (including eye-coverings) or mouths will not be accepted. Warframes are not humans and thus do not have eyes. Alad V knows this, you should too.

A more extensive Style Guide and Things-To-Avoid list will be coming in the next few weeks.

:community:

So, if I were to try and give Ivara a pair of googles/night vision, it wouldn't be accepted?

What about the Harlequin helmet for Mirage? It looks like she has glowing eyes to me :S

17 minutes ago, Kuramasenju1776 said:

so I tried looking at the new tennogen stuff but by for some reason my account or my game wont show any of the new gear, is there a way I can fix this?

Hasn't been added to the game yet. Only announced as incoming whenever they do add more Tennogen content.

9 hours ago, SpiralViper said:

So, if I were to try and give Ivara a pair of googles/night vision, it wouldn't be accepted?

What about the Harlequin helmet for Mirage? It looks like she has glowing eyes to me :S

Potentially, yes. If it was created to show that she had 2 different eyes, definitely yes.

I can't speak for in-house created skins, but "do not make it human-like" has been a common request from the team for each Round I have seen.

14 hours ago, SerinVeya said:

Why is Yatus being blueballed, guys? Seriously, I'm ready to buy his Ember Vesta skin, Trinity Holy skin, Excalibur Izanagi skin, Ash Vagabond skin, and Altair Syandana the second they'd go live. But... *grumble*

I'd air out my grievances with the Mesa Graxx pick, but not only am I pretty sure you've said on a previous devstream that you'll do all of the Graxx skins Faven makes, but if I pick apart how much I think it's a serious letdown compared to the rest of the set any more, I'll work up a brain aneurysm.

C'mon, guys. When is it Yatus time?

I'm going to be perfectly blunt here. Yatus doesn't put the detail into his work that other Tennogen creators (who've been accepted) have. I'm not saying every single accepted item has been top-notch, because some definitely weren't, but I can say personally I would never buy any of those skins as they are currently, because they look half-unfinished. The only exception to this is the Gazal-counterpart syndana.

It would pretty much be a major kick in the face to anyone who puts time into a single skin for the N X/Y/Z/whatever skins to be accepted. The textures are unfinished, so DE would literally have to finish the guy's own work for him, whereas most other Tennogen creators submit fully fleshed-out pieces. Compare any of the accepted pieces by Hitsu San, Atarrwen, or Volkovyi to a single one of Yatus', and the difference in detail is overwhelmingly noticeable. Faven comes out with pieces often, but still manages to put a lot of detail into them - all of his Graxx pieces have full textures and look incredible.

If Yatus actually went back and added detail into the textures/shapes of some of his previous submissions, maybe he'd have something. The base concepts for a few of them are actually quite nice, they just look horribly undetailed. The Vagabond skin is by far the best one he's done, but it's still lacking texture detail. I'm sure if he focused on it and touched it up, it would get picked up in the next round.

1 hour ago, [DE]Taylor said:

Potentially, yes. If it was created to show that she had 2 different eyes, definitely yes.

I can't speak for in-house created skins, but "do not make it human-like" has been a common request from the team for each Round I have seen.

Thanks, Taylor :) good to know it's more of a general guideline and is a bit flexible. Just as long as it doesn't give a human-like impression I guess

I personally love the Graxx collection.

Mesa graxx is nice, but I don't think it should be graxx. Not grineer enough.

(think it should be just alt helm since the body seems to be just normal mesa w/ different colors imo)

On a different tennogen item... I'm quite surprised and happy Hydroid is getting some love.

12 hours ago, --Arkann-- said:

I personally love the Graxx collection.

Mesa graxx is nice, but I don't think it should be graxx. Not grineer enough.

(think it should be just alt helm since the body seems to be just normal mesa w/ different colors imo)

On a different tennogen item... I'm quite surprised and happy Hydroid is getting some love.

From what I've heard from Hitsu and Faven himself, Mesa is pretty tough to create for. As apparently the folds, grenades etc, are part of her actual skin, and thus cannot be removed, only retextured. Taking that into account, I think Faven did a great job with it, considering the restraints.

Edited by Shadow8600

On 1/21/2017 at 4:42 PM, Cat__Nap said:

I'm going to be perfectly blunt here. Yatus doesn't put the detail into his work that other Tennogen creators (who've been accepted) have. I'm not saying every single accepted item has been top-notch, because some definitely weren't, but I can say personally I would never buy any of those skins as they are currently, because they look half-unfinished. The only exception to this is the Gazal-counterpart syndana.

It would pretty much be a major kick in the face to anyone who puts time into a single skin for the N X/Y/Z/whatever skins to be accepted. The textures are unfinished, so DE would literally have to finish the guy's own work for him, whereas most other Tennogen creators submit fully fleshed-out pieces. Compare any of the accepted pieces by Hitsu San, Atarrwen, or Volkovyi to a single one of Yatus', and the difference in detail is overwhelmingly noticeable. Faven comes out with pieces often, but still manages to put a lot of detail into them - all of his Graxx pieces have full textures and look incredible.

If Yatus actually went back and added detail into the textures/shapes of some of his previous submissions, maybe he'd have something. The base concepts for a few of them are actually quite nice, they just look horribly undetailed. The Vagabond skin is by far the best one he's done, but it's still lacking texture detail. I'm sure if he focused on it and touched it up, it would get picked up in the next round.

His normal maps aren't nearly detailed enough, and his patterns on his retextures are way too detailed.

On 20.1.2017 at 8:50 PM, [DE]Taylor said:

Please do not add obvious facial features to Warframes. That means anything that would resemble eyes (including eye-coverings) or mouths will not be accepted. Warframes are not humans and thus do not have eyes. Alad V knows this, you should too.

Dont give me that bs, "Mesa Deadeye". Explain that.

Also most Graxx skins have eyes. "Lets not accept the good, unqiue skins, but the repetitive Grineer Imitations."

Edited by SerYreS

5 hours ago, SerYreS said:

No they didnt accept it because: "Insert bullS#&$ reason" (not warframeish enough.)

No, it can't be stressed enough, his work keeps getting rejected because he just uses existing Textures from other warframes and moves them around resulting in an unfinished look that fails to evoke the warframe style and incorrect shading.  Also he sometimes uses blatant references from other games like the chest tattoos on his Excalibur skin.

I see that he's making an effort to go through the process properly recently though. He just might get in someday.

Edited by MaaYuu

Thanks for the support guys. But i have to be real looking back at some of my work i now see the many mistakes i've made and totally understand why i didnt get accepted. After Nekros Hades i stopped using retextures because many of you said that that was bad. Ash tskuyomi on the other hand didnt have any retextures on him, but he wasnt that great though. I am going through the whole process now without any shortcuts. Faven helped me out a lot on what i am supposed to do, and with some of my personal problems. For this round i will be redoing the Altair syandana from scratch and making another Volt or Valkyr skin (with no retextures) :D

20 hours ago, AntoineFlemming said:

His normal maps aren't nearly detailed enough, and his patterns on his retextures are way too detailed.

2 hours ago, MaaYuu said:

No, it can't be stressed enough, his work keeps getting rejected because he just uses existing Textures from other warframes and moves them around resulting in an unfinished look that fails to evoke the warframe style and incorrect shading.  Also he sometimes uses blatant references from other games like the chest tattoos on his Excalibur skin.

I see that he's making an effort to go through the process properly recently though. He just might get in someday.

8 hours ago, SerYreS said:

No they didnt accept it because: "Insert bullS#&$ reason" (not warframeish enough.)