Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mutagen Sample farming guide for ODD (Orokin Derelict Defense)

k05h

Question

I have been running 30+ ODD missions since the Hema bomb dropped. I have learned a lot about mutagen sample farming from other players and my own experience. And I seem to answer the same questions every time I play.

How many waves?

I normally run 20 waves of ODD and that gives around 100 mutangen samples without any boosters. Because RNG also plays a role effective results may vary from 80-120 samples. I prefer to run 20 waves to balance out bad rng and because the ratio wave-length/mutagen-sample-drop does not get significantly better over time. Enemies in the first 20 waves do not require much work. Later waves will spawn a large number of Eximus units. 

1. The keys
The obvious thing first: build ODD keys and have them ready because there is always somebody that did forget building them.

2. The party
The most stressful part is setting up a party (D&D player here). Go into recruiting and search for a ODD party: "LF ODD [Mutagen Sample] farm"
If you do not find a party or you see some other tenno looking for ODD just invite them an create your own party. If you have your party setup but still do not have 4 players just use recruiting: "H ODD [Mutagen Sample] farm". Best time is for this are the evenings.

3. The minimal party (2 warframes)
The minimal party has at least two warframes. But be aware that you will get about 50% less drops in 20 waves. 
Nekros with 250% range and the despoil mod is the most important part of the party. 
Hydroid with decent range (100-150%), some efficiency, lots of strength and most importantly the pilfering swarm mod

The tactics:
Defend the pod and kill all enemies with slash weapons to increase the desecrate rate. Nekros uses desecrate all the time. Use Hydroid's tentacle swarm (pilfering) to catch the enemies. Enemies hold by tentacles can be killed without loosing the additional drop chance of pilfering swarm.
Recasting tentacle swarm when enemies walk through the general area of tentacles will catch them. Also recasting seems to do more initial damage to enemies (I could not find anything about that in the wiki). 

5. The perfect party (4 warframes)
Nekros with 250% range and the despoil mod is the most important part of the party. Just one nekros because they do not stack and one Nekros 250% range covers the whole area. 
Speed Nova with 40% power stregth and 250% duration
2 Hydroids with preferable limited range 70-100%, some efficiency, lots of strength and most importantly the pilfering swarm mod

The tactics:
Use speed nova to bring in the enemies much faster. Killing primed enemies will not interfere with Nekros desecrate. Nekros will run desecrate all the time. Use Hydroid's tentacle swarm (pilfering) to at catch the enemies. Enemies hold by tentacles can be killed without loosing the additional drop chance of pilfering swarm; same as before. Hydroid 1 uses his tentacle swarm for stairs leading upwards on the one side and Hydroid 2 uses his tentacle swarm for the stairs going down to the other side. Tentacles do not stack but with limited range you can create two separate areas with tentacle swarm and will get more enemies touched or killed by the tentacles. 
And as said above, recasting tentacle swarm seems to do more initial damage to enemies. 

A stationary shield osprey or an ancient healer specter make 20 waves trivial. A charming smeeta kavat, a drop chance booster and a drop rate booster will significantly increase mutagen sample drops. 

6. Dont bring ...
Dont bring Ember (Prime) when farming for mutagen sample. Crispy corpses cannot be desecrated.
Dont bring Trin (Prime) because we dont need her for 20 waves. Our Nekros does well on its own with despoil, Hydroid has his puddle to hide in when needed and Nova has her anitmatter bomb drop to do mass killings. 
Dont bring Frost (Prime) because we dont want to slow enemies down. The pod needs no protection because we have juicy tentacles for that job.
Dont bring Saryn (Prime) because she takes too long to kill enemies at later waves.
Dont bring Atlas with his ore gaze mod because it takes too long to petrify enemies. 

7. Use the time on ODD to level weapons
As long as you have at least one fully levelled weapon you can use the 20 waves for leveling the rest of your weapons. 

8. Try to stay sane - watch something on tv or listen to music
Doing ODD is interesting the first 5 times but when you have to farm thousend or tens of thousands of mutagen for your clan it is just boring. Listen to some music or watch some netflix on a second screen or tv will keep you sane. 

9. The result
20 waves with the perfect party will drop - depending on rng - something from 80-120 mutagen samples. This is without booster or kavat. With chance and drop rate booster 200-250 samples are what you are getting.

10. Mutagen samples / minute
Setting up a party can take 5-10 minutes. 20 waves will take 25-30 mintues with speed nova. You get 3-4 mutagen samples per minute play time without booster or 6-8 mutagen samples per minute play time with double booster. 

11. Additional loot
With 20 waves you will get some orokin cells and some more neurodes. That may not look much at first but doing ODD over and over again will have you drown those two rare ressources. Relic drops or small endo drops (80) are common for rotation A (5 and 10). Rotation B gives one Alad V Nav coordinate quite often and rotation C has a chance of giving a forma bp. Credit gains in ODD should be ignored. 

Edited by k05h

Honestly I'd suggest ODS over ODD, more spawns and thus more potential samples.

Also Slash doesn't do much since it doesn't break the Infested corpses up like Grineer and corpus (Still good against them in general though)

Edited by SilvaDreams

7 minutes ago, SilvaDreams said:

Also Slash doesn't do much since it doesn't break the Infested corpses up like Grineer and corpus (Still good against them in general though)

We tryed ODS but the amount of samples was smaller than from ODD, you know RNG, so i would suggest do some test runs and decide which one would you rather do. 

We managed to get the 50K in a fairly short time, without much complaining, just 2-3 runs daily, like 3-4 clan groups.  We have like 10 active vets so each of them had over 2k samples ready which helped a lot.

7 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

ODS is provably much, much slower for the same number of mutagen samples

Eh we've found it faster you just have to find the right spot that has multiple spawn points around a central room. Where as ODD have a set limit per round.

I can run a solo Nekros from 20 minutes and get between 100-150 per run and I've donated somewhere around 5000 not including what I had on hand when the Hema dropped.

Edited by SilvaDreams
Holy Veyhek I hate auto correct at times...

Solid guide, though we usually(my clan) run for at least 40 waves as the drops increase by a lot during the 20-40+; I'd say with a good Hydroid build you can decently stay up until wave 55, then a Banshee would be needed; perfect runs grant us around 450 mutagens for 40 waves, never less than 360-400 anyway.

Not sure about Smeeta, while the boost is awesome, not having Vacuum resulted in usually being the one with the less Mutagens at the end of the run.

Totally agree on ODD instead of ODS, easier and more efficent, with high risk of falling asleep tho.

Just a question tho, why 2 Hydroids and not 2 Nekros?

Edited by Sir_Alex_Traffo

4 minutes ago, Sir_Alex_Traffo said:

Solid guide, though we usually(my clan) run for at least 40 waves as the drops increase by a lot during the 20-40+; I'd say with a good Hydroid build you can decently stay up until wave 55, then a Banshee would be needed; perfect runs grant us around 450 mutagens for 40 waves, never less than 360-400 anyway.

Hydroids tenticals can only snatch so many guys, so having two of them means less can bleed through where as a second Nekros won't really speed things up since they can only desicrate a body once.

Edited by SilvaDreams

2 minutes ago, SilvaDreams said:

Hydroids tenticals can only snatch so many guys, so having two of them means less can bleed through where as a second Nekros won't really speed things up since they can only desicrate a body once.

True, but apparently Nekros randomly chose bodies to be desecrated and move on to the next one until there are bodies available; problem is, in the meantime bodies could disappear without being desecrated, hence why 2 Nekros would make sure that almost every body is affected.

Anyway, 2 Hydroids seem like a solid advice, though it's way harder to find another Hydroid usually; also, I think that too much range could be a problem on ODD, so I wouldn't go with more than just Stretch or Stretch+Exilus mod.

16 minutes ago, Sir_Alex_Traffo said:

20 waves is just the perfect min-max spot for me. Later waves give more samples but waves tend to go much longer and need more work. 20 waves with booster give 200-250 samples in 25-30 minutes without much todo other than occasional killing enemies near pod. 

1 minute ago, k05h said:

20 waves is just the perfect min-max spot for me. Later waves give more samples but waves tend to go much longer and need more work. 20 waves with booster give 200-250 samples in 25-30 minutes without much todo other than occasional killing enemies near pod. 

Uhm, 200 seems more like it, at least without a Smeeta; though I can see your point, but it really depends on the team, some clanmates prefer to do a single long run, others quick multiple missions with small breaks..

20 waves are definitely more relaxing than 40, as Hydroid only can kill everything spamming Tentacles!

21 minutes ago, Sir_Alex_Traffo said:

True, but apparently Nekros randomly chose bodies to be desecrated and move on to the next one until there are bodies available; problem is, in the meantime bodies could disappear without being desecrated, hence why 2 Nekros would make sure that almost every body is affected.

Anyway, 2 Hydroids seem like a solid advice, though it's way harder to find another Hydroid usually; also, I think that too much range could be a problem on ODD, so I wouldn't go with more than just Stretch or Stretch+Exilus mod.

Never had an issue with Nekros desicrate missing any, it's fairly fast despite what people claim.

2 hours ago, SilvaDreams said:

this^ ODS with two or more Nekros and you can get a lot of samples in a 40 min run, especially with Boosters on. regarding Slash, you can still cut Runners and Leapers in half, but because the other infested aren't using the human enemy skeleton ( Crawlers, Chargers and Ancients), they can't be eviscerated.

10 minutes ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

this^ ODS with two or more Nekros and you can get a lot of samples in a 40 min run, especially with Boosters on. regarding Slash, you can still cut Runners and Leapers in half, but because the other infested aren't using the human enemy skeleton ( Crawlers, Chargers and Ancients), they can't be eviscerated.

Do you have numbers on the drops? Maybe ODD is the wrong way for farming. Yesterday I ran 40 waves ODD with booster and a very good team but got "only" 450 mutagen samples. 

Edited by k05h

3 hours ago, k05h said:

5. The perfect party (4 warframes)
Nekros with 250% range and the despoil mod is the most important part of the party. Just one nekros because they do not stack and one Nekros 250% range covers the whole area. 
Speed Nova with 40% power stregth and 250% duration
2 Hydroids with preferable limited range 70-100%, some efficiency, lots of strength and most importantly the pilfering swarm mod

The tactics:
Use speed nova to bring in the enemies much faster. Killing primed enemies will not interfere with Nekros desecrate. Nekros will run desecrate all the time. Use Hydroid's tentacle swarm (pilfering) to at catch the enemies. Enemies hold by tentacles can be killed without loosing the additional drop chance of pilfering swarm; same as before. Hydroid 1 uses his tentacle swarm for stairs leading upwards on the one side and Hydroid 2 uses his tentacle swarm for the stairs going down to the other side. Tentacles do not stack but with limited range you can create two separate areas with tentacle swarm and will get more enemies touched or killed by the tentacles. 
And as said above, recasting tentacle swarm seems to do more initial damage to enemies. 

A stationary shield osprey or an ancient healer specter make 20 waves trivial. A charming smeeta kavat, a drop chance booster and a drop rate booster will significantly increase mutagen sample drops. 

You don't need a max range Nekros; Tentacle Swarm has a base 20m range, Desecrate has a base 25m range.

An energy-based Desecrate build works just fine if you have max efficiency and Equilibrium, Despoil isn't necessary, although it does give you more build flexibility.

Whether Speedva helps or not is an interesting discussion and would probably need actual testing to determine, it could be that 2 Nekros + 2 Hydroid or 1 Nekros + 3 Hydroid are better:

• MPrimed corpses decay after 3 seconds, as opposed to the normal 5 seconds for Infested corpses, Desecrate could miss some
  • MPrime's x2 damage increases the chance that mobs will die to initial tentacle damage and have a reduced chance to get their corpse slashed into pieces
  • Mobs that die to MPrime's chain reaction disappear instantly, it's unclear if you can slash invisible corpses into multiple pieces

You shouldn't need a Shield Osprey or Ancient Healer specter for 20 waves, it's trivial anyway, they may be useful if you're going longer.

3 hours ago, SilvaDreams said:

You absolutely can slash Infested corpses into multiple parts, Atterax all the things.

Edited by ChuckMaverick

33 minutes ago, k05h said:

Do you have numbers on the drops? Maybe ODD is the wrong way for farming. Yesterday I ran 40 waves ODD with booster and a very good team but got "only" 450 mutagen samples. 

no need to be a smartass about it, granted I don't have numbers, but more spawns = more potential samples, if you had spent that long in ODS with that team, you could have gotten even more.

but hey, you just do you and I'll just do me.

Edited by (PS4)robotwars7

5 minutes ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

no need to be a smartass about it, granted I don't have numbers, but more spawns = more potential samples, if you had spent that long in ODS with that team, you could have gotten even more.

but hey, you just do you and I'll just do me.

I meant it as a serious question. It is not that I enjoy ODD :( and I am always interested in other ways to farm those MS.

3 minutes ago, k05h said:

I meant it as a serious question. It is not that I enjoy ODD :( and I am always interested in other ways to farm those MS.

oh, fair enough, there's me jumping to conclusions again. apologies.

I would say switch it up, because you'll  burn out faster doing the same mode over and over. you can get the samples anywhere in the derelict, so maybe change modes occasionally to switch it up a bit. I find randomizing weapon loadouts helps occasionally as well. it's a long and annoying farm, but it can be done, just hang in there.

while I know the chances are slim, you could also try using Distilling Extractors on Eris. anything's worth a shot, really.

47 minutes ago, k05h said:

If you are only getting 450 ish per 40 waves then you are averaging out to what I get doing a solo 20 minute run with a Nekros.

My numbers average to between 100-150 with spikes of 205 and dips of 86 (Thank you RNGesus) meaning your 3 or 4 man team in ODD is less efficient than me running ODS solo

2 hours ago, Sir_Alex_Traffo said:

Not sure about Smeeta, while the boost is awesome, not having Vacuum resulted in usually being the one with the less Mutagens at the end of the run.

Totally agree on ODD instead of ODS, easier and more efficent, with high risk of falling asleep tho.

I noticed that when credit farming as well in Akkad:

~250k Credits from Wave 1 to 30 and then ~280k from 31 to 40.

Level seems to have an influence there.... seems.

32 minutes ago, Kaotyke said:

I noticed that when credit farming as well in Akkad:

~250k Credits from Wave 1 to 30 and then ~280k from 31 to 40.

Level seems to have an influence there.... seems.

Is that so? I'd like to see this confirmed by someone, could be really interesting.

1 minute ago, SilvaDreams said:

Going to take a shot in the dark here and say that is with boosters....

getting plat with prime parts is no big deal and boosters are not overpriced. better then searching in a non global (dead) lfr channel

1 minute ago, Evanescent said:

Is that so? I'd like to see this confirmed by someone, could be really interesting.

I think at certain point more enemies spawn, plus speed nova explosions no longer kill enemies if they are higher level. So that probably adds up.