Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mutagen Sample farming guide for ODD (Orokin Derelict Defense)

k05h

Question

I have been running 30+ ODD missions since the Hema bomb dropped. I have learned a lot about mutagen sample farming from other players and my own experience. And I seem to answer the same questions every time I play.

How many waves?

I normally run 20 waves of ODD and that gives around 100 mutangen samples without any boosters. Because RNG also plays a role effective results may vary from 80-120 samples. I prefer to run 20 waves to balance out bad rng and because the ratio wave-length/mutagen-sample-drop does not get significantly better over time. Enemies in the first 20 waves do not require much work. Later waves will spawn a large number of Eximus units. 

1. The keys
The obvious thing first: build ODD keys and have them ready because there is always somebody that did forget building them.

2. The party
The most stressful part is setting up a party (D&D player here). Go into recruiting and search for a ODD party: "LF ODD [Mutagen Sample] farm"
If you do not find a party or you see some other tenno looking for ODD just invite them an create your own party. If you have your party setup but still do not have 4 players just use recruiting: "H ODD [Mutagen Sample] farm". Best time is for this are the evenings.

3. The minimal party (2 warframes)
The minimal party has at least two warframes. But be aware that you will get about 50% less drops in 20 waves. 
Nekros with 250% range and the despoil mod is the most important part of the party. 
Hydroid with decent range (100-150%), some efficiency, lots of strength and most importantly the pilfering swarm mod

The tactics:
Defend the pod and kill all enemies with slash weapons to increase the desecrate rate. Nekros uses desecrate all the time. Use Hydroid's tentacle swarm (pilfering) to catch the enemies. Enemies hold by tentacles can be killed without loosing the additional drop chance of pilfering swarm.
Recasting tentacle swarm when enemies walk through the general area of tentacles will catch them. Also recasting seems to do more initial damage to enemies (I could not find anything about that in the wiki). 

5. The perfect party (4 warframes)
Nekros with 250% range and the despoil mod is the most important part of the party. Just one nekros because they do not stack and one Nekros 250% range covers the whole area. 
Speed Nova with 40% power stregth and 250% duration
2 Hydroids with preferable limited range 70-100%, some efficiency, lots of strength and most importantly the pilfering swarm mod

The tactics:
Use speed nova to bring in the enemies much faster. Killing primed enemies will not interfere with Nekros desecrate. Nekros will run desecrate all the time. Use Hydroid's tentacle swarm (pilfering) to at catch the enemies. Enemies hold by tentacles can be killed without loosing the additional drop chance of pilfering swarm; same as before. Hydroid 1 uses his tentacle swarm for stairs leading upwards on the one side and Hydroid 2 uses his tentacle swarm for the stairs going down to the other side. Tentacles do not stack but with limited range you can create two separate areas with tentacle swarm and will get more enemies touched or killed by the tentacles. 
And as said above, recasting tentacle swarm seems to do more initial damage to enemies. 

A stationary shield osprey or an ancient healer specter make 20 waves trivial. A charming smeeta kavat, a drop chance booster and a drop rate booster will significantly increase mutagen sample drops. 

6. Dont bring ...
Dont bring Ember (Prime) when farming for mutagen sample. Crispy corpses cannot be desecrated.
Dont bring Trin (Prime) because we dont need her for 20 waves. Our Nekros does well on its own with despoil, Hydroid has his puddle to hide in when needed and Nova has her anitmatter bomb drop to do mass killings. 
Dont bring Frost (Prime) because we dont want to slow enemies down. The pod needs no protection because we have juicy tentacles for that job.
Dont bring Saryn (Prime) because she takes too long to kill enemies at later waves.
Dont bring Atlas with his ore gaze mod because it takes too long to petrify enemies. 

7. Use the time on ODD to level weapons
As long as you have at least one fully levelled weapon you can use the 20 waves for leveling the rest of your weapons. 

8. Try to stay sane - watch something on tv or listen to music
Doing ODD is interesting the first 5 times but when you have to farm thousend or tens of thousands of mutagen for your clan it is just boring. Listen to some music or watch some netflix on a second screen or tv will keep you sane. 

9. The result
20 waves with the perfect party will drop - depending on rng - something from 80-120 mutagen samples. This is without booster or kavat. With chance and drop rate booster 200-250 samples are what you are getting.

10. Mutagen samples / minute
Setting up a party can take 5-10 minutes. 20 waves will take 25-30 mintues with speed nova. You get 3-4 mutagen samples per minute play time without booster or 6-8 mutagen samples per minute play time with double booster. 

11. Additional loot
With 20 waves you will get some orokin cells and some more neurodes. That may not look much at first but doing ODD over and over again will have you drown those two rare ressources. Relic drops or small endo drops (80) are common for rotation A (5 and 10). Rotation B gives one Alad V Nav coordinate quite often and rotation C has a chance of giving a forma bp. Credit gains in ODD should be ignored. 

Edited by k05h

49 minutes ago, SilvaDreams said:

If you are only getting 450 ish per 40 waves then you are averaging out to what I get doing a solo 20 minute run with a Nekros.

My numbers average to between 100-150 with spikes of 205 and dips of 86 (Thank you RNGesus) meaning your 3 or 4 man team in ODD is less efficient than me running ODS solo

It was not a very good run overall because we had almost a dry run between waves 30-35. I did not want to leave early because the party was fun and they wanted to do 40 waves. But I will give ODS a try but I will not spend any more plat on boosters after 30 days drop chance and double drop boosters. 

55 minutes ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

I would say switch it up, because you'll  burn out faster doing the same mode over and over. you can get the samples anywhere in the derelict, so maybe change modes occasionally to switch it up a bit.

You are right about burning out or bore-out in ODD. I will give ODS a try and I regulary do solo ODE for the fun of it.

Alright, made a quick test trying to get a "perfect" ODD run; the team was not perfect and one of us crashed and came back after a couple of waves, but still the run was solid enough to be taken as sample.

Team was:

Hydroid(Pilfering, Stretch only)

Nekros(despoil full range)

Banshee

Speed Nova

As you can see, the team was ok but definitely not perfect; these are the results for 40 waves, ofc both boosters are up, no Kavat tho.

jL3UQS0.jpg

I think that in a team ODD is best as you don't have to worry about spawns, time, range and such, while solo is clearly not an option and ODS shine in that case.

Edited by Sir_Alex_Traffo

Smeeta can add an extra 20 to 40 samples over 20 waves, with the potential for many more if you are lucky enough to stack resource doublers.  Just put animal instinct on your smeeta and you won't miss any drops. Vacuum is unecessary because your team should be concentrating all the kills in a small area and defense gives plenty of time to collect loot.  I can't believe that people are still farming without smeeta.

5 minutes ago, (Xbox One)ThermalStone said:

Smeeta can add an extra 20 to 40 samples over 20 waves, with the potential for many more if you are lucky enough to stack resource doublers.  Just put animal instinct on your smeeta and you won't miss any drops. Vacuum is unecessary because your team should be concentrating all the kills in a small area and defense gives plenty of time to collect loot.  I can't believe that people are still farming without smeeta.

I think it really depends on your role: when I'm Hydroid I literally spam Tentacle Swarm because apparently enemies need to be grabbed by tentacles in order to drop loot, so the more I spam the power the more it kills or affect enemies. 

In that case, having a Smeeta would be counterproductive as I don't have time to collect the loot before it disappear; when I'm Nekros or Nova I have the time instead.

4 hours ago, SilvaDreams said:

Never had an issue with Nekros desicrate missing any

The issue we've encountered is that max range tentacles throw mobs onto level roof and you have to kiil them with antimatter drop or explosive/punchthrough weapon.

I also made a test ODS solo, with Smeeta and both boosters, 20 minutes:

nxVVJbv.jpg

I felt like I could have gone forever, but I stopped at 20 because someone said he was getting 100-150-200 solo; now, 100 seems definitely doable, 150 seems like those perfect RNG runs once every 10, 200 honestly seems like in our dreams.

Never stopped killing or had spawn issues, so I guess it was an average ok run.

EDIT: did a second run, 116 on minute 20, 142 on minute 25. Now, considering a good 40 waves run like the one I did before takes 45 minutes, so far I'd say ODD is still the most efficent way to farm, though ODS is an awesome solo option.

1 hour ago, Sir_Alex_Traffo said:

EDIT: did a second run, 116 on minute 20, 142 on minute 25. Now, considering a good 40 waves run like the one I did before takes 45 minutes, so far I'd say ODD is still the most efficent way to farm, though ODS is an awesome solo option.

The difference in sample amounts makes perfect sense since in the ODD setup you all are talking about there is a necros and a hydroid in action whereas the solo survival is only a nekros.  Three drops per enemy rather than two is going to add up especially when the difference is ~4500 enemies killed (3300 by hydriod) vs 900 [numbers from your screen shots].

FWIW, 900 kills is low.  Either your choice of location was bad or the spawn rate on solo is just that bad.  Take a buddy next time to increase the spawns.  Even better take the same ODD squad into ODS and find a good spot to camp.

My point is I really don't thing ODD is any better then ODS so play which ever you like.  It is a simple matter of killing infinite infested - this farm is a just numbers game.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Agent_CHAR said:

The difference in sample amounts makes perfect sense since in the ODD setup you all are talking about there is a necros and a hydroid in action whereas the solo survival is only a nekros.  Three drops per enemy rather than two is going to add up especially when the difference is ~4500 enemies killed (3300 by hydriod) vs 900 [numbers from your screen shots].

FWIW, 900 kills is low.  Either your choice of location was bad or the spawn rate on solo is just that bad.  Take a buddy next time to increase the spawns.  Even better take the same ODD squad into ODS and find a good spot to camp.

My point is I really don't thing ODD is any better then ODS so play which ever you like.  It is a simple matter of killing infinite infested - this farm is a just numbers game.

With the testing spree still pumping, I went ahead with another run and the results were quite incredible; I'd say the number of kills was not particularly low(especially since Atterax was just formaed), but RNG can heavily affect the results, as per below, 20 minutes:

6sXQr61.png

The Kavat went literally crazy in the first minutes and it provided insane amounts of resources; that said, such numbers are definitely possible, but not really likely to happen.

I kept on going until minute 40, then I extracted:

SPctPXN.jpg

The amount is still pretty high, but not worth the time as it didn't doubled from wave 20(again, because of RNG).

Team VS Solo is not even a comparison, as you pointed out, but I just needed to check if ODS solo was an option in the first place; I still think ODD is best for me when farming with clanmates, mainly because it just needs way less effort, but I can see how ODS is probably the best way to properly farm, if RNG allows that.

I would like to thanks to@Sir_Alex_Traffo, that he made research for us and put real numbers here.

Nova?  As for me, I'm still degenerate thanks to tons of runs to reach Rot C with Ember p bp asap, but this is farming. We are not sure about MP effect but 100% is, that she is not a Looter so she occupied 1 spot. Let's simplify: Drop was 500 MS with 2 Looters, 250/Looter, missing another 250 MS when there is Nova instead of another Looter.

7 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

Calling BS on that; my clan ran 40 minutes with a Hydroid/Nekros team for 40 minutes and we only got 60 or so each

If you see the testing pictures I posted before in this thread, those numbers are definitely possible but I'd say 90% with a booster; in 20 minutes solo with Nekros I got 90-116-190, all depending on the Smeeta job.

150 without boosters would mean being RNGesus cousin(Smeeta going perma Charm) or being dreaming.

Speaking of ODS, if you were to solo it, what room would you aim for to camp and get consistent spawn?

15 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

Calling BS on that; my clan ran 40 minutes with a Hydroid/Nekros team for 40 minutes and we only got 60 or so each

Boosters.  I farmed ODS a bunch yesterday with both types and these were my numbers:

25 minutes solo - 165

30 minutes solo - 170

40 minutes solo - 200

40 minutes squad of 3 (2 nekros and a nidus) - 300

At this rate I'll farm up the 2000 samples I need in about two days time.  FWIW, I'm really liking ODS as a farm spot right now.  Each run I came away with almost 1000 endo, a bunch of neo and axi relics plus some lith S4 and a couple of forma BP's.  I was getting way tired of excavation non-stop.

7 hours ago, Sir_Alex_Traffo said:

Speaking of ODS, if you were to solo it, what room would you aim for to camp and get consistent spawn?

I like the bigger rooms better even though they tend to be multi level.  Every time I try to use a smaller room I end up with enemies having pathing problems in one of two ways.  One starts with the tar moa's that stop to shoot at a distance and other units kind of pile up on them.  Or a door creates too small of a bottleneck and a crowd of enemies gets jammed up in it.

The other thing you have to watch out for is the wild kavats that spawn periodically.  When one of those is around the infested care more about them than you and it disrupts the enemy flow until you deal with it.

I didn't track my enemy kill numbers very closely but in the 25 minute run I was trying out the relentless combination mod on my atterax to see what difference it made to the counter so on that one I paid a little more attention.  Kill count was something like 2000 enemies with a combo counter of 3000 at the end.

As a complete aside the atterax is such a disappointment when compared to the galatine prime.  I don't know why any one would bother with the whip.  Seriously its like using the Mk1 Braton instead of the Soma prime.

37 minutes ago, (PS4)Agent_CHAR said:

As a complete aside the atterax is such a disappointment when compared to the galatine prime.  I don't know why any one would bother with the whip.  Seriously its like using the Mk1 Braton instead of the Soma prime.

Uhm, not sure about it, I'm actually farming with it and seems like a pretty solid option to me. Why are you disappointed?

Uhm, not sure about it, I'm actually farming with it and seems like a pretty solid option to me. Why are you disappointed?

45 base damage and a crappy stance on the whip vs 165 base damage and two awesome stances for the great sword.  It is no contest on which I'd rather use and which is more effective at killing.

Also I get tired of whips in general because I use the s.lecta a lot on my alt account to farm credits.  I'm not looking to use whips any more than that, as I said I think the stance is crap.

Alright, so I made another solo testing run, lasted 83 minutes; I had to set a secondary goal other than farming mutagens not to go crazy, which was the x5 combo counter. After I reached that(first time ever in WF)I just extracted.

A Phil Collins' greatest hits on Youtube also helped to keep calm.

Thanks to @Autongnosis for the tips on Nekros build, I literally couldn't die and Quick Thinking only triggered once when I was reviving the Kavat; speaking of which, I never had loot Charm stacking on itself but I had the normal one proccing a reasonable amount of times except for a 15 minutes window when Charm didn't trigger at all, none of the versions. It's a known bug but it's still damn annoying.

Here's the results, both boosters on:

HmMyWef.png

ZNc1sTv.png

Like I said, bring your umbrellas and your best raincoats, it's RAINING MUTAGENS THERE, BOIS.

11 minutes ago, Autongnosis said:

Muh rain hahahaha

Good run, glad to be of use :D Also, for funsies, i'm currently trying to break my own 2hr ODS record with Nekros, wish me luck :D

Also, Phil Collins <3

I guess that's definitely doable with Atterax, but you'll just to have the Kavat go at a certain point!

On 24 January 2017 at 8:05 PM, SilvaDreams said:

im with you. if ur solo then ODS.

ODD is much better for a group. i got 16 mutagen samples WITH a booster for 20 waves AND a smeeta. a few runs like this returned nothing over 20.

ODS i get 90 - 110 for 30mins. its not worth ODD solo. Nekros + Despoil too.

RNGesus is always gonna kick u in the teeth with someting, so i'll take his good fortune solo atm.

Edited by (PS4)redman74
spelling damnit

I guess that's definitely doable with Atterax, but you'll just to have the Kavat go at a certain point!

I went in with Galatine Prime actually, but had to pull out at 80 cause my toaster-level PC went crazy with stuttering and i didn't want to risk a crash :( Which also reminds me something i forgot about melee combat in general: if you can knockdown spam, you can trigger stealth melee multiplier on alerted enemies. And the hold RMB combo of Tempo Royale works wonderfully cause it does that lawnmower strike ending with a ground slam, and follows up right after with a couple of quick strikes.

EDIT: i also didn't realise that this was not the other topic so i had a moment of "how in the name of heck did i even get here" .-.

Edited by Autongnosis

There is a lot of valuable info in this thread. Can you guys also show your kavat builds and answer a few questions regarding kavat armor and Health Conversion as I couldn't find the answers on the wiki. Especially:

1. Does Link Armor benefit from Health Conversion stacks?
2. Does Stand United aura applies after or before Health Conversion stacks?
3. If "yes" to both above then how does Stand United affect kavat with Link Armor? Does it "double dip" increasing both my armor before link and kavat's after link?