Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Huge memory leak

Kyratian

Hello there,

There was a hotfix today, or rather an update, before the update, I didn't have any problems at all, the game was running smooth.

When I relaunched and updated, I didn't notice anything at first, but the first time, 30 waves defense, then had to extract because of a huge lagspike, I thought I had to run Ccleaner, so I did and rebooted my pc. After this, 40 waves defense no problem, again a 40 waves defense and it started lagging again. Then I noticed a BIG, or rather HUGE memory leak, which is caused by the hotfix.

https://gyazo.com/b3278abe0e66047d19a3d266254c2e12

I hope I'm not the only player experiencing this, and that this will get patched soon, since this isn't supposed to happen.

I hope I provided enough information,

Kyratian.

So yesterday (01/24/2017) i started encountering an issue were mid mission the evolution engine starts to increasingly use up more and more of my ram until my entire system starts to crash. Typically the ram usage is about anywhere between 1.5 to 2gb, but when this issue occurs it starts using almost 7gb of ram. Even when i'm able to catch the issue starting and close the game, the evolution engine continues to run until i manually end the task myself in task manager. 

The issue didn't start until after i downloaded the update that was released Monday (01/23/2017) so its possible something there is causing the issue because before then I had to never run into a high memory usage problem in warframe. I don't its something with my system because i run several other games with much higher requirements completely fine, but ill put my pc specs below anyway.

Specs:

Intel i7 6700k 4.0 GHz

Nividia GTX 970 4GB

8GB DDR4

Hey guys,

Is there any chance you might be able to grab a copy of your EE.log from the session that this leak occurred in? If not, would it be possible for you to reproduce this leak and set your EE.log aside, then submit it in a support ticket? We are currently in the process of investigating this issue and some additional logging could be extremely helpful. 

How to find your EE.log

Thanks!

Edited by [DE]Dmitri

I noticed the same thing after I updated the game. Took me a while to log in, took even more to load into the game. Some games loaded in a few seconds as they should be... I didn't check memory and cpu usage but it is VERY noticable.
My pc specs are as following: CPU: Intel Pentium G3250 3,2GHz dual core, 4GB of RAM @ 1700MHz clock rate and AMD Radeon 7400G graphic card. I usually had no problems with the game, even on long run survival missions. Currently optimizing game cache from the launcher... will see if it helps

1 hour ago, Kyratian said:

It doesn't show the RAM usage in the game though, there is just says 600mb-1gb, so it is a huge difference in the task manager.

If this is the case then there is a chance that this leak could be the result of something outside of Warframe, possibly a driver or third-party software. You might want to try making sure your drivers are up to date and temporarily disabling any third-party apps that might have a negative impact on Warframe (streaming, recording, monitoring software, etc.)

Friend of Kyratian here, we were trying to recreate the problem with success. After doing two long runs the memory usage kept going up, we had to stop after a while because Kyratian's pc couldn't handle it anymore and started freezing and stuttering. We had another friend join who runs on low graphics and has the particles turned off, he had no problem whatsoever. My pc also started stuttering after a while.

Kyratian's specs, EE log and taskmanager screenshots:

Spoiler

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 factory clocked.  CPU:AMD FX-8370 Eight-Core 4.00GHz.  RAM:8GB.

EE: https://1drv.ms/t/s!Aq7rW1IY7ivPkxLJZuhj5BdjXqz_

First one is in the Liset, second one after first game and third one after second game.
kyratian_taskmanager_by_bioniclefusion-d

Here's my specs, EElog and taskmanager usage.

Spoiler

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 EVGA super-clocked.  CPU:AMD FX-8370 Eight-Core 4.00GHz.  RAM:16GB.

EE: https://1drv.ms/t/s!Aq7rW1IY7ivPkxPm7ZHKjBlcfWKz

Again first one is in the Liset, second one after first game and third one after second game.
The RAM usage ingame started at 650MB and rose to ~700MB, FPS dropped from ~100 to ~50.
warframe_taskmanager_by_bioniclefusion-d

37 minutes ago, [DE]Dmitri said:

If this is the case then there is a chance that this leak could be the result of something outside of Warframe, possibly a driver or third-party software. You might want to try making sure your drivers are up to date and temporarily disabling any third-party apps that might have a negative impact on Warframe (streaming, recording, monitoring software, etc.)

Only two things changed on my PC since your latest Hotfix:

Nvidia Driver Update 378.49 WHQL (Only Driver and PhysX installed)

Windows 10 Update KB3211320

4 minutes ago, bioniclefusion said:

Friend of Kyratian here, we were trying to recreate the problem with success. After doing two long runs the memory usage kept going up, we had to stop after a while because Kyratian's pc couldn't handle it anymore and started freezing and stuttering. We had another friend join who runs on low graphics and has the particles turned off, he had no problem whatsoever. My pc also started stuttering after a while.

Kyratian's specs, EE log and taskmanager screenshots:

Hide contents

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 factory clocked.  CPU:AMD FX-8370 Eight-Core 4.00GHz.  RAM:8GB.

EE: https://1drv.ms/t/s!Aq7rW1IY7ivPkxLJZuhj5BdjXqz_

First one is in the Liset, second one after first game and third one after second game.
kyratian_taskmanager_by_bioniclefusion-d

Here's my specs, EElog and taskmanager usage.

Hide contents

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 EVGA super-clocked.  CPU:AMD FX-8370 Eight-Core 4.00GHz.  RAM:16GB.

EE: https://1drv.ms/t/s!Aq7rW1IY7ivPkxPm7ZHKjBlcfWKz

Again first one is in the Liset, second one after first game and third one after second game.
The RAM usage ingame started at 650MB and rose to ~700MB, FPS dropped from ~100 to ~50.
warframe_taskmanager_by_bioniclefusion-d

Just as you said your FPS dropped from ~100 to ~50, mine dropped aswell from average ~120 to ~50 after a while.

And @[DE]Dmitri, I don't think my drivers are the problem, I always keep them up to date, because @bioniclefusion and I have almost the same rig, and played together again, having the same problem with this, also looking at the other people that replied having the same problem, even with a different brand of GPU, an AMD Radeon, we don't think this is a problem caused by our drivers.

As Bionicle said, we also had another friend with us, running on Low graphics and having particles off and he had no problems at all. This problem was just easy to recreate aswell.

Alright, thank you everyone for this information. Is there a specific tile set or game mode that anyone could recommend for this? Defense has come up a few times. If anyone could suggest a specific defense node it could help us track down the problem.

Edited by [DE]Dmitri

12 minutes ago, [DE]Dmitri said:

Alright, thank you everyone for this information. Is there a specific tile set or game mode that anyone could recommend for this? Defense has come up a few times. If anyone could suggest a specific defense node it could help us track the problem down. 

Kyratian and I played on Uranus-Ur, we used speed Nova and a max range desecrate Nekros. We also had a friend join with a Saryn who also had a max range build, which made the RAM usage rise a bit faster than usual.

Edited by bioniclefusion

7 minutes ago, bioniclefusion said:

Kyratian an I played on Uranus-Ur, we used speed Nova and max range desecrate Nekros. We also had a friend join with a Saryn who also had a max range build, which made the RAM usage rise a bit faster than usual.

Note that in the first round, the first 40 waves, I didn't get to use Molecular Prime, just forma'd my Nova, so it could've gone up faster if I didn't forma.

I didn't notice anything in the beginning, it started at around wave 34 it started to drop frames. After that, it just kept like that, the second round of Defense on the same map, it didn't raise RAM as fast as round 1, because less particles and less stuff for the game to remember.

If weapons CAN make a difference to this, the builds that we had on our frames were ofcourse the Speed Nova and a Synoid Simulor, Desecrate Nekros with an Ignis and Pox, Max Range Saryn with an Amprex and Sonicor.     I would also like to point out that the Pox when it got released, it already had a huge impact on the FPS drops in-game.

Edited by Kyratian

hiya, Im the friend of @bioniclefusion and @Kyratian and I joined them in the session earlier,

the game did not show any signs of problems on my side, there was something odd going on with the data usage as the game went on though.

while both of them kept getting more and more problems, my data usage actually kept going down, the game was using 1.176 MB around the start, but further in the game when they were getting issues, my game's usage was down to 580 MB

im also pretty new to the game having just been brought in by these guys so im not very familiar with everything.

So im a little late to this party but ive been having this problem for about a year now ive dealt with it because it seems it was only happening to me but if its starting to happen to more people its time to speek up. Im not home right now but when i get home ill get my game into that state and taking screen shots and my EE logs. A temp fix ive found is to turn down graphics alot (turn particles off and alot of the better flair options off) and put vsync on and cap my frames at 60. This lets me play alot longer but if i do a long survival (i was able to do 2 games of ODS to wave 30~35) i would start to see my system struggle to keep going. And my pc isnt a beast and i know that but it is more then enough to play at higher settings without this problem. Ill post screen shots and rig specs when i get home.

3 minutes ago, SoulHunter2008 said:

So im a little late to this party but ive been having this problem for about a year now ive dealt with it because it seems it was only happening to me but if its starting to happen to more people its time to speek up. Im not home right now but when i get home ill get my game into that state and taking screen shots and my EE logs. A temp fix ive found is to turn down graphics alot (turn particles off and alot of the better flair options off) and put vsync on and cap my frames at 60. This lets me play alot longer but if i do a long survival (i was able to do 2 games of ODS to wave 30~35) i would start to see my system struggle to keep going. And my pc isnt a beast and i know that but it is more then enough to play at higher settings without this problem. Ill post screen shots and rig specs when i get home.

Kyratian and I have found out that it has something to do with nvidia physx. If you don't have a lot of RAM then you will suffer from quite some stutters and lag when it is turned on. We are also looking for other things and hope this problem gets fixed asap! :D

9 minutes ago, bioniclefusion said:

Kyratian and I have found out that it has something to do with nvidia physx. If you don't have a lot of RAM then you will suffer from quite some stutters and lag when it is turned on. We are also looking for other things and hope this problem gets fixed asap! :D

I did indeed turn physX off as part of my " turning off flair" procces but this still occurs. Its better then it was but i still need to either restart client and or pc if ive been on all day or decide to do a longer run.

31 minutes ago, SoulHunter2008 said:

Im not home right now but when i get home ill get my game into that state and taking screen shots and my EE logs. A temp fix ive found is to turn down graphics alot (turn particles off and alot of the better flair options off) and put vsync on and cap my frames at 60. This lets me play alot longer but if i do a long survival (i was able to do 2 games of ODS to wave 30~35) i would start to see my system struggle to keep going. And my pc isnt a beast and i know that but it is more then enough to play at higher settings without this problem. Ill post screen shots and rig specs when i get home.

Thank you for this info. It does sound like something is leaking, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to play continuously without having to restart. Hopefully with some additional logs and screenshots we can get to the bottom of this. 

I think I found a way to easily reproduce it. Currently I'm doing a lot of Axi Capture missions one after the other. The Evolution Engine specifically is currently using 4.7GB according to the Task Manager atm. In-game HUD shows only 675MB. Perhaps, it's just a matter of lots of mission data accumulating?

EDIT: 2 missions later up to Evolution Engine 5.3GB

Edited by cx-dave

Just now, cx-dave said:

I think I found a way to easily reproduce it. Currently I'm doing a lot of Axi Capture missions one after the other. The Evolution Engine specifically is currently using 4.7GB according to the Task Manager atm. In-game HUD show only 675MB. Perhaps, it's just a matter of lots of mission data accumulating?

Yea, we just did Ur-Uranus 40 waves like 5 times today, with Speed Nova Prime, Desecrate Nekros Prime and max Range Saryn Prime, also an easy way to recreate it. We got above 5.5gb RAM by doing this all time.