The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Wukong's tiny stick

Madamou

On 29/01/2017 at 1:03 PM, Madamou said:

GwDAYDM_700wa_0.gif < This is my when I saw the concept of Wukong and his kit, and when I started playing him...

Don't get me wrong, Wukong is an amazing frame, very tanky and with great survivability but he is supposed to be based on Sun Wukong...

" Sun Wukong possesses immense strength; he is able to lift his 13,500 jīn (7,960 kilograms (17,550 lb)) staff with ease. He is also extremely fast, able to travel 108,000 li (21,675 kilometres (13,468 mi)) in one somersault. (Note that this is more than half way around the world.) Sun knows 72 transformations, which allow him to transform into various animals and objects; however, he is troubled in transforming into other forms, due to the accompanying incomplete transformation of his tail. Sun Wukong is a skilled fighter, capable of holding his own against the best warriors of heaven. Each of his hairs possess magical properties, capable of being transformed into clones of the Monkey King himself, and/or into various weapons, animals, and other objects. He knows spells to command wind, part water, conjure protective circles against demons, and freeze humans, demons, and gods alike. "

And his staff, Ruyi Jingu Bang, is initially described as a pillar of black iron twenty feet in height and the width of a barrel. It is only when Monkey lifts it and suggests that a smaller size would be more manageable that the staff complies with his wishes and shrinks. This is when Sun sees that the weapon is banded with a gold ring on each end, as well as the inscription along the body reading "The Compliant Golden-Hooped Rod. The inscription indicates that the staff follows the commands of its owner, shrinking or growing to their whim, make copies of itself, and that it is immensely heavy, weighing 17,550 lbs (7,960 kg).When not in use, Monkey shrinks it down to the size of a needle and keeps it tucked behind his ear.

I understand and agree that DE made a great job with Wukong, but his staff's range feels so tiny. It's supposed to have almost infinite range, in Warframe, even if you build up the +200% range and use a Primed Reach mod, a Simple Atterax or Lecta will outrange it with Primed Reach.

See the problem ?

Game wise, it would become overpowered easily with the stick of doom, the PF staff would be able to hit through walls so that's why it been limited to its range.

7 hours ago, Misgenesis said:

But it does have the longest range of all melees once you build it up a little? I dunno whats going on but the last time i played with Wukong i was surprised by how powerful it is, i would pick it over Valkyr or Excal anyday.

To be honest, EB or hysteria are more powerful than PF, due to charge attack and finisher damage. Wukong's PF with his PR augment is strong at a certain point.

Edited by (PS4)Deception_Pharo

been seeing this thread resurfacing repeatedly over the course of time and brought up by different users on this forum, and it baffles me how DE doesn't recognize it or even went as far as saying that Wukong's 4th works as intended that made me feel like to leave a post

picked wukong since my day 1 and after a little more than a month most of the endgame content it's been a massive letdown with him. No CC,no Aoe whatsoever, in raids your only usefulness is just as bullet sponge with defy to ress other players,and still there are frames who are better at it and do more than that. Not to talk about the fact of having to build your combo counter to get your max melee range,just to see it bested by a normal weapon with primed reach.

I mean come on, it's Wukong we are talking about, having the longest shaft should be where he excels and melee range should be his bread and butter, of course the china version is exaggerated yet it doens't have to be a damn toothpick either

12 hours ago, HyokaChan said:

actually the slide wave damage falls off with range so unless you only focus on the status inflicted you won't get much result at the primed reach wave's max range

Mmm, yes it falls off with range but after you get to a point the slash damage in addition to everything else will be doing marvelously.

His 4 needs much longer reach.

I think his combos need to be reworked. I would like to see his combos do more of shifting the size of the staff. One combo does an attack in a AOE cone in front of him that is the staff extending and retracting many times. Using his 1 with his 4 active makes his staff be as big around as a barrel, he drops it, and stuns enemies, and it appears back in his hand. Maybe another combo he throws it in the air, it extands down and hits enemies in an aoe around him.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 1:45 PM, (PS4)lhbuch said:

Agree. It doesnt have to be ridiculous, but now you just spend energy to do less damage than a lot of other melees. Even its combo counter is worse.

Doesn't the augment help quite a bit?

I more or less followed this build on Playstation, and I didn't lack for damage hardly at all until I got to extremely high level enemies.

Edited by NewAgeDoom

13 hours ago, NewAgeDoom said:

Doesn't the augment help quite a bit?

I more or less followed this build on Playstation, and I didn't lack for damage hardly at all until I got to extremely high level enemies.

Speaking primarily on the melee weapon build here.

Looking at the build I don't personally think it's overly optimal. Certainly it's not what I would ever use.

Spoiled Strike is a bad damage choice imo. Swap that out for say Voltaic Strike/Virulent scourge and your base damage drops from 1588 to 1200, but your corrosive increases from 2858 to 2880, you don't lose any attack speed and your status goes from 25% to 40%.

I dunno wtf is up with that maxed Life Strike either, with the amount of damage that the staff can do an unranked Life Strike is more than enough, any higher and you're just wasting energy. Life Strike is also redundant, simply find a safe spot (using CW if needs be) to recast Defy and you're peachy. You've now got a whole extra mod slot for more damage if you want it.

I'd recommend using Guardian Derision in that slot instead of a damage mod personally, Wukong has never really been a team player and at least with GD I feel somewhat helpful.