[DE]Glen

State of the TennoNet 2017

:heart: We believe in you Glen-and-team!

Edited by Plushy
  • Upvote 4

* Raise hand sadly * i'm in the " Roughly one in twenty Tenno " who gets its public IP changed without notice thanks "honest cable comapny" ^.^ 

• Upvote 5

Thank you for the all the information Glen. I know me and a lot of tenno are very great full for all you're hard work especially when you shouldn't be working but your there fighting back attacks <3. It's much appreciated dude.

Edited by (PS4)PrincessDark_
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for the details.  Interesting read!

16 minutes ago, [DE]Glen said:

Roughly one in twenty Tenno are on a network that will change their public address or their NAT port-mapping without warning!

Or a lot of tenno play using their mobile phone as a hot spot.  Either way that's ... appalling. 

• Upvote 1

I noticed my ISP (BT) used to change my IP address every few months as Google thought I was somewhere else! Very odd. Don't know if they're still doing it now...

The CS student in me found this very informative, I can only imagine the hell you guys went through, part of the fun in working in this field hides behind a big wall of torture I guess, and that'd be a gross understatement.

Guys I have avoided warframe for almost 4 years, in fact my last comment here was at the release of the grustag three. I guess alot of folks won't even remember them days. So as you can probably imagine I was completely blown away when I was finally placed in my liset, the way it orbits the planet or ship of my last mission, i see it circling on my star map. The immersion of it all is light years away from the game I came to enjoy and eventually forsake all those years ago for lack of meaningful content. I just wanted to go on record and thank the developers in particular for the cohesive storyline told by the quest chain of Stolen Dreams, Natah, The Second Dream and The War Within. It has been a much more fulfilling experience and have naturally opened my wallet in appreciation since returning in November. I don't care for the dismal RNG on alot of stuff, but for those few items that have several drop sources I am grateful since it allows me to change things up and still have a shot at the object I'm after, big plus. The fact that I've completely missed opportunities to get certain things that were either events or vaulted, without buying it off someone else or awaiting it to cycle in kiteers stock or some future unknown event is... more than a little disappointing.. but I bide my time. All in all very happy I came back. Game looks fanfreakin tastic. Thanks Devs.

• Upvote 3

Even though im not 100% sure i understanding this properly but that last part scares with the example with the cellphone. So telling me that my network/modem/router can be screwing me over with something so simple?! Thanks for the info though i really wish i knew more about networking to fix it myself x.x

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, [DE]Glen said:

Luckily computers are pretty good at automating things and we should be able to handle some of these scenarios automatically. As time permits we'll be working on automatic workarounds for this totally crazy behavior because even though it isn't our fault, it's our problem.

The problem is that you use almost purely UDP. If you will step away from this dogma just a little bit and let's say, open 1 tcp keep-alive connection, you can watch it's status - there are a few mechanisms that allow you to know when tcp endpoint changes it's adress.

You can also send more important data via tcp tunnel, so there would be less desynch with server. Remember when reward appears in your inventory a few minutes late? Yeah these ones.

Edited by SonicSonedit
  • Upvote 2

Sadly, I'm one of those with Public Address that keeps changing every 3 minutes or less.

11 hours ago, [DE]Glen said:

-snip quote

This is great news. I wont bump a support ticket i put in... But i suspected something like this. That any time i left a hosted group or hosted, then disbanded. The game would just "forget" my ports and upnp. Glad you guys have working on this. 

Edit: One question i have. Why does Warframe have upnp and Nat-pmp Settings? This is the only game i have seen... use these settings. Do console players also get these option? I know by default console connect via upnp and Nat. (NOT nat-pmp)

Edited by Krhymez

16 hours ago, [DE]Glen said:

Roughly one in twenty Tenno are on a network that will change their public address or their NAT port-mapping without warning!

Question to Legal: Could you disclose a list of ISPs that do that so we (as their customers) could kick them in the bollocks? Or would that only get you into a lot of trouble?

9 hours ago, Krhymez said:

Edit: One question i have. Why does Warframe have upnp and Nat-pmp Settings? This is the only game i have seen... use these settings. Do console players also get these option? I know by default console connect via upnp and Nat. (NOT nat-pmp)

You mean why is Warframe awesome? I'm sure I can find a gif for that.

And that's two questions.

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, [DE]Glen said:

You mean why is Warframe awesome? I'm sure I can find a gif for that.

And that's two questions.

Well, i did start with one question in mind. :clem:

But i would like to know. Are those same options on console? Through trouble shooting this issue, i found a few threads about these setting. There was one post were it was suggested to disable both if you port forward.

Seems it was a post by you: 

From trying to "fix" issues i was having... i found that these settings were the issue. Even a few people in game that i have spoken to, have or had the same issues. In your statistics Nat-pmp was used very little. If that is the case, why is it enabled by default? Does it cause any issues to have it enabled? 

If find that it does.