Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Coming Soon: Special Enemy & AI Devstream #87

[DE]Rebecca

Devstream87_1080p.jpg

Join us this Friday, February 3rd for Devstream #87!

Who: Rebecca will be joined by special guests Tom & Dan (and maybe more!) to cover AI & Enemy Design: Present and Future!

What: We're organizing Friday's stream into many sections covering Warframe's enemies, including a focused Q&A! We want to give everyone an overview of what changes you can expect to existing enemies as well as what lurks in the future!

Prizes? Why yes, we will be giving away 3 x 1000 Platinum Prizes during the Livestream!

Where: Find us at: twitch.tv/Warframe

When: Join us this Friday, February 3rd at 2 p.m. EDT! Time Zone Converter: http://www.worldtimebuddy.com/

This thread closes at 10 a.m. on February 3rd!  Please put your AI & Enemy Design focused questions in this thread! Questions not relating to this topic will not be considered.  

Oh wow, we're finally getting an insight into the enemy AI of Warframe! That's like... literally the only thing we haven't had a special Devstream for yet!
Dis gon b gud! Alright, now for my question, as per tradition.

Dear Dang Diddly DE Developers

As a fan of 2008's Dark Sector and its very fun Glaive usage, I think it's an incredible shame that Warframe's counterparts to the Glaive have fallen so far behind in terms of usefulness. All Glaives (except the new one) have Skana damage or less, rely on incredibly rare stances to be even remotely useful, and have minuscule Throw Attack damage that makes them completely overshadowed by Gunblades, which have around 4 to 9 times more damage on their shots compared to the various Glaives, something their differences do not make up for.

Would it be possible to do a pass on Glaives (especially their Throw Attack damage) like you have done in the past for Heavy Blades and Scythes?

Something I would do is give Glaives Throw Attack damage on par with the Gunblades, but remove stealth damage bonus from Throw attacks, so it wouldn't become overpowered. After all, the stealth bonus damage is meant as a reward for getting up-close in stealth. Ranged stealth is what we have headshots for.

Like always, stay hotdog.
Thanks for reading, have a Hektato:

Zs1N6oJ.png

Edited by Cyborg-Rox

Can we get a progress report on the ability to individually colorable our cosmetics?
I've been holding off on buying cosmetics because ALOT of the cosmetics coloring slots are all over the place, which ruins my endgame.

I jumped the gun on the question without reading the OP's fine print (only questions about AI / enemies), I had no AI / "special" enemy questions :(

Please enjoy this picture of a ripe tomato instead.

@Jamescell
Has asked me to repost his message since his is buried in this thread somewhere.

Spoiler

1.) The current state of Warframe's energy economy and the accessibility of energy restoration has resulted in gameplay and a meta profuse with ability spam. While ability nullification does something to counter the largely unbalanced energy system, ability use is a large part of Warframe's identity, and a large part of what attracts many players to the game. Furthermore, nullification can result in situations that players perceive to be largely unreasonable or irritating. How open is DE to the idea of reworking/balancing the energy system to naturally limit ability use instead of implementing situational restrictions such as nullifiers? A possible approach would be to remove or restrict all of the energy-use altering mods and energy replenishment mechanics currently in place and instead implement innate energy regeneration for each Warframe. Such a change would promote the smarter use of abilities. Players would occasionally have to choose a best course of action instead of simply spamming all four abilities, and there would be no need for nullifiers.

2.) Warframe has a great variety of enemy units. However, the majority of enemies are re-cycled versions of a few unique models, often with aura abilities slapped on. While auras may be intended to create challenge and stimulate players, aura effects lack the mechanical complexity or responsiveness that abilities do. Players often find themselves dying to a toxic aura coming from an enemy in the next room over, or dealing with a hoard of super enemies augmented by a rainbow of auras. The only real options players have are to kill the aura unit quickly or run away. Are there any plans to move away from blanket auras and towards more precise abilities and predictable behaviors that can be avoided, obstructed, and possibly countered?

3.) A while ago, DE invested in interchangeable parts for the Corpus Comba and Scrambus units, implementing the first truly interchangeable enemies. The infested are often viewed as the least developed of the three main enemy factions, especially due to their lack of unit diversity. Furthermore, many of the infested models were created a a time when the lore of the infested was very limited. Recent developments have indicated that the Infestation is much more conscious and controlling than previously thought. The infestation seems to gain control over its form as it progresses. As such, it would make sense for the infested enemies encountered in heavily infested areas to demonstrate much more purposeful, crafted, and useful looking designs. Is a completely revamped infested faction- with units that are heavily randomized and more purposeful/predatory in design- a possibility for the future? 

Edited by RIOT
things

Zephyr's release day will make her 3 years old on Sunday. 

(Re-No-Vah Coo-Noo Mah Roo)

General AI 

Do you feel that AI tactics are limited by Warframe Style Combat Engagements? <---Pick this one if you must choose 1.

1. There are no opportunities for planned AI countermeasures in melee combat for example. Some games offer combat in which players can engage an enemy when they're in vulnerable state. They use dodges and rolls to effectively avoid enemy attacks and target specific enemies to use specific situation combos. 

However warframes combat consist of overwhelming fire to a multiple targets or spamming EEEE melee dismissing enemy attacks with little to no strategy.

Easiest way to explain this is: If you create an enemy that dodges, parrys, does backflips to dodge or rolls out of the way and uses combos, the playerbase will dismiss it unless it has invulnerability phases. We will Blow it up with Simulor immediately or bullet jump to close the gap instantly and spam EEEE.

Companion AI

Will AI get an overhaul to increase the effectiveness of kubros and kavats? I should be able to prioritize the tactics I need them to perform in mission.

• Example. Look at Kubro and scroll to command, "Defend Waypoint" Then waypoint the Hostage.

Non Combat Related AI

• NPC's on the relay should greet me by Warframe Name. Bring some life to that place.
    NPC -"Who would win in a race, Zephyr or Titania?"

• Enemies should talk among themselves in mission
    Grineer- "I heard there's a Tenno that can drown you in a puddle" "Really? And here I thought switching from Uranus duty to Cere's I wouldn't have to deal with getting my feet wet." 

Enemy Related AI

• Will enemies Squad up or use retreat in any of their tactics versus Tenno?
  • Can you limit the amount of instakill balls a single osprey can can active at once? 
  • Why can a Grineer shield guy almost bash you to death in an unstoppable loop in the corner/if they knock you off a cliff?
  • Why does the AI know where I'm going to spawn and are already actively shooting me before I can even recover from black screen when falling off a cliff?
  • If I'm surrounded by like 30 enemies and they are all about 2 feet away from me, they should not all be shooting me. Why is this a thing? 
  • When will you address Roadhog's hook? I mean Ancient's hook. They shouldn't be able to hook enemies they can no longer see.
Edited by (PS4)RenovaKunumaru

AI eh?

Question then! When will Shadows of the Dead actually work like undercover agents for the Tenno?

Can Corpus robotics develop life of their own?

Just kidding, serious question now:

-How hard was it to program the Chesa Kubrow? Are you confident it can be further improved? (Not trying to sound harsh btw, I know it must be pretty difficult to do)

Such a nice change to see :) I wonder what improvements are coming to the department!

Q1: With Damage 3.0 being talked about being more related to enemies than warframe and weapons, what changes to enemy AI and what design mechanics (Such as Nullifiers getting a specific weak spot) are being considered in relation to Damage 3.0?

Q2: Will we see enemies begin to work in synergy with each other in the future, both in ability and in AI? Ancients focusing on pulling players into the mobs of infested (This also triggering mob enemies to prioritize that player as they are stunned), Small ambush grineer units cloaking and waiting for players to be distracted by a coordinated rush from enemies in front of them in order to catch them from the back?

Q3: Any redesign of existing enemies in the works? Any future concepts of enemies available (More enemies for Sentience)? 

Q4: With the introduction of Feral Kavats, are there any thoughts on expanding current faction move sets to include more parkour-esque behavior? Surely the Corpus aren't as agile, and the Grineer have clunky armor, but I could see a Corpus with hydrolic boots that allow them to bullet jump and slam into the battle field from above (Surprising players in the process). The Grineer have Helion, but they are not very active in their use. They go up, and down. Why not allow them to free fly around the battle field for longer periods, pick up other units for brief periods (Imagine a bombard from above) and, using them to dodge and give them a bashing attack that pushes them forward and knocks players down?

Q5: Any thought to reinforcement abilities that enemies can incorporate as a very special event for a "radio" centric enemy? Similar to lock downs that can summon special enemies, it would require the AI to reach and perform certain devices or actions in order to make it happen but when it does, a ship flys in and unleashes a big drop of enemies as reinforcement (Perhaps top tier enemies from every day missions, maybe a group of eximus, maybe Rathuum/Index opponents) 

Q6: The infested have Ancients and Corpus have Shield osprey, but the Grineer do not have a "Medic" themed enemy. This could be seen as the deployable blunt cover, but I'm curious as to what could be designed in its place as a functioning enemy. Would they look like a rotting plague doctor? Would they be limited to healing only 1 enemy (Heavy and Medic style)?

Q7: Outside of Prosecutors, I can't think of another melee focused enemy that isn't infested. I recall when they were first being talked about, they were going to be enemies that were going to challenge you and you had to use melee in order to beat them. Will we see that kind of design return in the future, enemies that are focused on melee, and require melee in order to beat?

Q8: Out of curiosity, are there any special triggers for AI? Do certain enemies trigger earlier by sound, while others by sight? How far is any given enemy's cone of reference in sight, sound and proximity?

Any word on anything at all related to mutagen samples? I know steve said that the rates would not be touched because it's "Raining in the derelect" - which, lets be real here.... no. Perhaps make mutagen, detonite, and fieldrons drop from factions specifically instead of being tied to planets? that would ease the grind off of it being in two spots only, an could open up more planet-specific resources for the future.

enemy ai improvements? sounds amazing! finally enemies will be becoming smarter instead of being the same dumb bullet sponges with increased absorption capabilities over time (For some reason it makes stalker feel as a boss going backwards instead of improving. the original was actually scary, the one with the dread was already easier to kill, but the shadow one is simply the easiest one to kill)

- Can friendly syndicate specters get a different color from the enemy ones? if a friend spawns an eximus charger during an infested missions there's no way to tell which is the friendly one other than looking the minimap, making teammates randomly start shooting it only to find out that it takes no damage.

- How long before older quests become replayable too?

- Any chances to make lenses drop from Lua missions? 

- When will this be coming to PC?

Spoiler

C3h7-mNWYAEEAAL.jpg

so hyped! :D

btw, since a devstream is coming and I'm asking about content additions, I guess this is somewhat mandatory since I don't want it to be forgotten again

Spoiler

GiftedHideousAmericanquarterhorse.gif

yeah, I was too lazy to remove the original subs

Still waiting for the "asap"

Greetings!

Edited by -----LegioN-----