Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe low-level optimization(multithreading)

Death_Master_

Hello!

At certain windows settings(low task quantums length like 6/6 or 12/6) warframe becomes horribly laggy.

After investigating i noticed that around 90% of CPU work happens in just ONE thread.

At those settings because of imbalanced(thread-load imbalance) work warframe trashes system with excessive context switches.

What i can advice: balance main workload into num_real_cores(ignore Hyper-Threading fake cores and use all real cores) threads.

I know that such balancing is really hard and tricky but i believe in this case it can be worth it.

P.S. This thread is not created for average player that does not have programming skills, don't feel bad if you don't fully understand above this line.

P.P.S. For average players - I wish Warframe to work better on multi-core CPUs. There is a problem inside warframe and I explain where.

This would be impossible to accomplish simply because there are too many different CPUs. For example the AMD FX8k and 9k series have 8 physical core, but every 2 share the same cache memory, thus this will be impossible to do for warframe. What I have done manually though is I have put the affinity to the CPU on cores, 0,2,4,6 so it is always using one memory cache per core for the game. You can do the same for Hyperthreaded Intel CPUs. Although the performance increase isn't as significant. As far as I've tested warframe is very well optimized as far as GPUs go, but for CPUs you need something around the 5960x or 6950x if you want SOLID 60fps on 1080p in Absolutely every occasion. 144fps or 240fps is out of the question, even for a TITAN X(P), because the CPU-side of the game isn't optimized to handle such a workload.

2 hours ago, Alex9-3-9 said:

This would be impossible to accomplish simply because there are too many different CPUs.

That's why i wrote "num_real_cores" - it can be possible to exclude on AMD not fully designed(not having own cache) cores.

There aren't too many CPU types on which warframe may work so detection is rater trivial task.

For now tuning task quantums to 36/12 instead of 6/6 in my OS gave HUGE difference(from situation where framerate drops to around 5-10 during mission to stable 55-60fps) on my i7-3770k(works at 4.3Ghz all the time) and 1080p resolution).

But retuning OS for game because of multi-threading problem is a band-aid, much better will be game that tunes itself to run perfectly on any system that is good enough.

• 1 month later...
On 2/6/2017 at 3:00 PM, White_Matter said:

And I still get some FPS drops after upgrading my system to I7-7700k(oc to 4.8ghz) at certain times.

On one of streams Steve told they will look at it and possibly split main thread in two.

It is a huge work so it will not be very soon but that they do work on it gives us some hope ^_^

• 1 month later...

My biggest issue is how hot my case gets because of the heavy CPU usage by Warframe.  I hope there are some optimizations out in the near future because last year, my CPU overcooked.  My framerate is fine. Occasional lag when joining up with other players but solo play is smooth until case starts getting really warm and fans are being over-worked.   AMD FX8350  8-core 4GHz CPU.  64bit system with 16GB DDR3 RAM  and R9 290 4GB GPU.  Nothing is overclocked. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/22/2017 at 11:49 PM, S_Blackheart said:

My biggest issue is how hot my case gets because of the heavy CPU usage by Warframe.  I hope there are some optimizations out in the near future because last year, my CPU overcooked.  My framerate is fine. Occasional lag when joining up with other players but solo play is smooth until case starts getting really warm and fans are being over-worked.   AMD FX8350  8-core 4GHz CPU.  64bit system with 16GB DDR3 RAM  and R9 290 4GB GPU.  Nothing is overclocked. 

Are you using the stock AMD cooler? The 8350 is pretty beefy in terms of power consumption, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was a contributing factor. In addition, what case/case fans are you using, and are your cables properly managed?

• 1 month later...
On 14/06/2017 at 1:00 PM, PropiPanda said:
I can totaly agree

Um I'd argue that isn't necessarily down to warframe, although ryzen does benefit from certain optimisations.  I'm using an i7 4790k and 1060 and I don't have the low fps you have.  What resolution are you using?

• 1 month later...