Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Basic Art Guide

[DE]Syncrasis

14 hours ago, [DE]Syncrasis said:

Whenever possible, the skins will apply to weapons that share the same stances. But be careful not to lump similar items together... a Galatine (heavy blade) uses a different set of stances than a Fragor (hammer). Also keep in mind where the hands grip the weapons, and the length of the handles, as these are unchangeable and differ between stances. Check in the arsenal and in-game to be sure.

Dominion skin is applied to "heavy blades".

So if Dominion skin can be used on all heavy blades including Zenistar, which is an axe, does it means we can create an axe skin for Galatine?

And as long as the grip and the weapon length matches, are we allowed to create katana/machette looking skin for Skana skin? or spear/halberd for Orthos skin?

On 10/4/2017 at 1:21 AM, Rekkou said:

So if Dominion skin can be used on all heavy blades including Zenistar, which is an axe, does it means we can create an axe skin for Galatine?

And as long as the grip and the weapon length matches, are we allowed to create katana/machette looking skin for Skana skin? or spear/halberd for Orthos skin?

The Zenistar is a heavy blade, even if its shape is odd. It's not an axe, which uses a different set of stances. 

Please categorize as logically as possible. Machete has its own stance, so you wouldn't make a machete skin for a sword weapon, for example. You have a certain amount of creative freedom with your designs, but, if a machete is a machete, it isn't a sword.

25 minutes ago, [DE]Syncrasis said:

The Zenistar is a heavy blade, even if its shape is odd. It's not an axe, which uses a different set of stances. 

Please categorize as logically as possible. Machete has its own stance, so you wouldn't make a machete skin for a sword weapon, for example. You have a certain amount of creative freedom with your designs, but, if a machete is a machete, it isn't a sword.

Now, I don't mean to sound like a jerk or anything but the first part is false, axes and heavy blades use the same stances. Zenistar is definitely an axe, but also a heavy blade since in the game heavy blades and axes are exactly the same, with the only difference being that they use the hammer's idles instead. Take them into the game, you'll find that the Zenistar, just like the Scindo, uses the hammer idle pose. Hell, try swinging them: You'll find that, inexplicably, your warframe grips them from near the bottom of the haft, as if they were swinging a greatsword. Hm...

Edit: With that logic, being able to equip Chroma Deluxe's sword skin on the Zenistar is an oversight that must be corrected since it turns the thing into a giant sword. Or that you shouldn't be able to equip Oberon Deluxe's sword and shield skin on Ack and Brunt since it's an axe and shield.

Edited by Freeshooter92

1 hour ago, [DE]Syncrasis said:

yeah not to be rude or anything but in this game as far as stances go 2 handed axes are classified as heavy blades, and have been since U13 when melee 2.0 was introduced

hell, rending crane (one of the 3 heavy blade stances) depicts Scindo (warframe's first Axe) on it and both Zenistar and Scindo (prime) can equip all the same stances as Galatine, Gram and War.

so by all purposes your initial statement is false

also prova (what is essentially an electric club) Kama (litterally a kama which is a one handed scythe) and Nami solo (which is pretty much a cutlass a type of sword) are classified as machetes with machete stances, are not in fact not actually machetes but are still classified as such by the game's melee system

Edited by Melos-mevim

Ahh, my mistake! You're right, those weapons do share stances. 

Better answer: We try to apply TennoGen skins to whatever weapons make sense from a technical and also a visual standpoint, within a single, existing animation set/stance. Anything between categories visually has to be handled case by case. This isn't to say you can't still experiment. 

To be totally sure about a specific design example/sketch, please don't hesitate to reach out and show us! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, [DE]Syncrasis said:

Ahh, my mistake! You're right, those weapons do share stances. 

Better answer: We try to apply TennoGen skins to whatever weapons make sense from a technical and also a visual standpoint, within a single, existing animation set/stance. Anything between categories visually has to be handled case by case. This isn't to say you can't still experiment. 

To be totally sure about a specific design example/sketch, please don't hesitate to reach out and show us! 

This is pretty much the kind of weapon i'm planning to make. The basic idea is to create a sword that looks like a hybrid of european sword and katana. I believe it will be a fitting design for Tenno sword. But will this be disqualified as sword skin because the overall look is more similar to Katana?

image.jpg

1350198048052.jpg

7 minutes ago, Rekkou said:

This is pretty much the kind of weapon i'm planning to make. The basic idea is to create a sword that looks like a hybrid of european sword and katana. I believe it will be a fitting design for Tenno sword. But will this be disqualified as sword skin because the overall look is more similar to Katana?

image.jpg

1350198048052.jpg

By judging the first photo only this comes into my mind

L3LITlu.jpg

I'd love to see something like that as a Heavy Blade skin.

10 hours ago, Rekkou said:

image.jpg

1350198048052.jpg

oooooh a messer! That would be really nice to see sadly I think, you'd want to wait till we actually get a long sword category (we currently don't have one) or make it a nikana skin because as far as length goes nikana is the closest we got to a long sword right now.

seriously DE please give us actual long swords

17 hours ago, Rekkou said:

[snip]

Seems fine, as long as technical and stylistic (IE making it Tenno-y) requirements are met. :) 

You'd have to make a scabbard to go with it before you end up in Nikana territory.

• 3 months later...

Added a few additional points to the Steam upload checklist:

-Any pieces that are intended to have cloth physics added to them should be on a separate, watertight mesh (no holes).
-Helmets need to be watertight IE no hole in the bottom where it connects to the neck.
-Polygons are single-sided (the backsides of the polygons are invisible). When making a thin piece of cloth, it needs a front side mesh and a back side mesh, even if it has 0 thickness.
-Compare the size of your custom helmet to the default helmet included in the downloads file. Make sure it's not significantly larger or smaller.
-When adding screenshots, make sure to have at least one image lit in neutral lighting, so we can see all your hard work when we are judging for acceptance. 
-Make sure your Workshop images represent only the latest iteration of your work. Remove any old edits to avoid confusion.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Added another point to the Steam upload checklist:

-For any energy-only FX with scrolling textures: These need to be placed on their own mesh with their own UVs and texture sets. You will only need a black and white emissive texture + scrolling texture placed into the alpha channel. Please use the TennoGen tool to test it out and let us know what settings you'd like us to use!

• Like 1

Added another point to the Steam upload checklist:

-Textures are downres'd when added to the game. For most textures, 2048 sized textures are your WORKING size, and IN-GAME will be 1024. Make sure your textures are presentable at in-game resolution! Diffuse, roughness, specular, normal all stay 2048 for Warframe BODIES ONLY.

Edited by [DE]Syncrasis
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...

"Polygons are single-sided (the backsides of the polygons are invisible). When making a thin piece of cloth, it needs a front side mesh and a back side mesh, even if it has 0 thickness. "

I just clone the single-sided cloth, flipping the normals of the clone,is that ok?

or do I need some more steps?(like welding some point?change what edge to soft or hard of this cloth?move the clone or just make coincidence with the clone and the original?)

I really want a 0 thickness cloth of my work,and this 0 thickness cloth should have cloth physics ,plz help