Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weapon Sounds: Remastered

[DE]erichdigital

You just made a lot of arguments for finicky realism in one of the least grounded in reality shooters in existence.

What's important about the art style and audio design in a piece of fantasy isn't the realism of the thing. It's the plausibility of the thing, and adherence to established internal logic of the world in which it takes place.

Or, basically, none of those reasons are sensible or fun. Hell, if guns sounded in video games and movies like they do in real life, everyone would complain that we had boring gun sounds. because real guns sounds are varying registers of "flat" or "tinny" compared to the foley enhanced mixes we use for those glorious bassy blasts we get in fiction.

Also, I can't in my right mind understand anyone that would buy customization that only they could ever see or hear. That's like buying skins for a single player game, who in their right mind wastes money on that, and more importantly, what lack of scruples leads developers to charge for such a thing?

Would be neat if stuff specifically intended to alter the sound of guns actually did that though, as in silencer mod/abilities actually filtering the gun sounds as that IS a point of cognitive dissonance. The game says "less noisey" and you hear... the same noise. That's a sensible change as there's a problem with the plausibility of the hush and such things when it doesn't actually hush stuff from the user's perspective.

I've noticed that the gunplay is definitely more satisfying since the changes to these starters weapons. I picked up a Lato and MK-1 Braton and brought them through the star chart, and it was definitely much more enjoyable to use them than before.

In terms of what weapons to tackle next for this kind of treatment, I'd vouch for the Soma, Magnus, and Gorgon series. The Soma in particular, despite being one of the most used weapons in the game, sounds absolutely pitiful, with no punch at all to the firing foley. Comparing it to the regular Sybaris or Buzlok, or even the Braton *before* the remaster, is like night and day.

17 hours ago, Robert_Cop_2 said:

I don't mind a complete overhaul actually, especially on the snipetron, prisma gorgon and paris prime while charging the arrow.

Yeah, my wife says that drawing back the Paris to charge it sounds like someone hocking up a big spitwad. I know it's supposed to be a creak indicating the power of the bow, but really...no. It's hockin' a loogie at someone. 

For these particular remasters:

Paris: the thump of actually firing is nice; otherwise the sound is identical to my ears.

Lato: this is a substantially better sound; gives us the beefy punch that any good cinematic weapon needs.

Braton: I actually couldn't detect much difference - if there is a difference, it's too subtle for my old ears to catch. 

7 hours ago, PopeUrban said:

You just made a lot of arguments for finicky realism in one of the least grounded in reality shooters in existence. What's important about the art style and audio design in a piece of fantasy isn't the realism of the thing. It's the plausibility of the thing, and adherence to established internal logic of the world in which it takes place.

Also, I can't in my right mind understand anyone that would buy customization that only they could ever see or hear. That's like buying skins for a single player game, who in their right mind wastes money on that, and more importantly, what lack of scruples leads developers to charge for such a thing?

Correct. And plausibility is rooted in things we can relate to. Part of that is reality, part of that is fiction we grew accustomed to. Which is why I'm a little unsure why you confuse realism with plausibility, and paint my post as if I want to have hyper-realistic somethings in there, because we're essentially on the same side? If there is a sound for a weapon that feels unfitting, then because it doesn't feel right compared to what you hear and what you see. Some have a higher threshold for noticing these off things, others have a lower.

A fantasy game still adheres to rules that we know about. The more abstract it becomes, the less general appeal it will have. In the Warframe universe, it is established that we get our Warframe powers channeled through the Tenno, the Frame is the different conduit so to speak, and the Tenno got the powers from "Void Miracles." With that correlation, the "magic" stuff becomes plausible. But it is still a game that is based on physics, which can somewhat be bent by the Tenno (wall-hopping, which I'm still not quite happy with, I could relate to the old static wall-running more) but there are limits still, even if imposed due to balance reasons.

Whenever those limits are broken, and whenever other things make no sense that have no correlation or explanation, it feels off and sticks out like a sore thumb. So yes, I still agree soundpacks are a bad idea. But I never said that every weapon should be sounding exactly like it should based on it's physical properties. I only put up that reference to have something to hold on to when comparing things like suppressed-sounding guns that have actually no silence effect at all. That's off. If the Latron Prime was an inherently silent weapon? Then it's not feeling off. But if I remember correctly, it has the same alertness range than the regular Latron. Which makes no sense, on an inherently felt plausibility level, right?

As to what you said second, I think you also misrepresent my post. I talked about options, not about hardcoded behavior. People buy what they want for the reasons they want. Some people throw they wallet at any and all ridiculousness, but that's not our judgement call to make :)

So we're still on the same side, essentially. We just come from different angles I guess.

12 hours ago, PopeUrban said:

Disagree with the posters floating the idea of sound customization. Between skins and coloration it can be very difficult to pick out the primary differences between weapons already. This, combined with the speed of the average session of warframe makes it extremely difficult to identify weapons that don't have exotic ordinance.

that isn't thought through - i don't recall anyone saying that customizing Firing Sounds means they'd be able to make their Braton sound like a cow or a duck. it's still a Braton, different styled sounds made for it.... would still be for the Braton.

the differences would be leaning more towards 'subtle', than 'completely different Weapon'.

9 hours ago, Khunvyel said:

Again, I will keep disagreeing with everyone who wants to customize their weapon sounds but not on the basis of "unable to hear crap" but rather because these things simply should not happen. The sound of a gun is based on it's design and the ammo it is firing. In order to customize a sound, one would require to physically modify the gun. Which is why the only kind of sound alteration I would welcome is the one I previously mentioned, where a "hushed" gun actually changes the sound to be more suppressed and softer. Maybe even other extremely subtle changes could indicate the one or the other mod that is inside a given gun, but that is just a wild thought and had no more thought applied to it. Even for that there should be an option in the audio menu that would disallow custom sounds like that. And while people argue "if you want that option, why are you categorically against custom sounds?" I just repeat my previous point. Gunfire changes don't come from nowhere. Sounds of tangible weapons is based on tangible physics. If you create a Whip that draws it's energy from the Void and has it's properties and damage based on the wielders Energy levels and other stats? Sure, go nuts with sound options. Magic things get magic changes.

pulling the realism card in a game that has no connection to realism in the first place - is just nonsense. and makes for a completely invalid standpoint.
the Weapons in Warframe don't sound realistic in the first place. they're heavily stylized and romanticized.... because in reality guns don't sound very interesting. infact, the majority of Guns in reality sound almost identical to each other......

but you'll selectively pull the realism card to support your own interests, but ignore it for interests that are not of your own.

- - - - - 

as for Suppressor Mods, you have this Community to thank for it - people complained that a Supressor Mod reduced the volume of their Weapons... for some reason.

On 2/14/2017 at 6:33 PM, Khunvyel said:

I'm happy the Braton Prime stayed as it is so far because it definitely feels like having more firepower in my hands than with the regular Braton.

The Braton Prime sounds like a pea shooter. I'm not sure what about its sound makes you think it feels like having more firepower.

On 2/14/2017 at 3:03 PM, [DE]erichdigital said:

Naith,

We love these sounds too! One of the main objectives of the remaster is to stay as true as possible to the original core character of each weapon. 

--[DE]erichdigital

Well, I, for one, am ok with any change that makes the Braton Prime sound like something other than a pea shooter or a silenced weapon (seeing as it's not a silenced or sound-suppressed weapon).

On 2017-02-15 at 7:35 PM, PopeUrban said:

-snip-

Also, I can't in my right mind understand anyone that would buy customization that only they could ever see or hear.

-snip-

I would.

At least if I could make the Dex Sybaris sound like the regular Sybaris. Yes, even if only for myself.

So... there's that :)

19 hours ago, taiiat said:

1) that isn't thought through - i don't recall anyone saying that customizing Firing Sounds means they'd be able to make their Braton sound like a cow or a duck. it's still a Braton, different styled sounds made for it.... would still be for the Braton. the differences would be leaning more towards 'subtle', than 'completely different Weapon'.

2) pulling the realism card in a game that has no connection to realism in the first place - is just nonsense. and makes for a completely invalid standpoint.

3) but you'll selectively pull the realism card to support your own interests, but ignore it for interests that are not of your own.

4) as for Suppressor Mods, you have this Community to thank for it - people complained that a Supressor Mod reduced the volume of their Weapons... for some reason.

1) Some different weapons sound very similar. In a crowd of gunfire these similarities could blend together to the point where they are indiscernible. Even the same weapon sounds slightly different at times when you shoot it compared to someone who just stands next to you, shooting it. Even to the point of making you wonder if they really fire the same gun. If these changes are so subtle already, then even subtle soundpack changes would cause confusion. Hence they should not make soundpacks.

2) Again, I brought an example and basis for a tangent, nothing more. Maybe not the best but still something to bring it into perspective. If you read the rest of my texts just here, you'll notice how I draw other correlations in a fashion that reasons how a fantasy game makes one feel well immersed due to plausibility.

3) I've even advocated for things I don't even personally like, because I look at stuff as objectively as I can. And sometimes the best choice for the game is not a choice I would personally like :)

4) Well, that would be a perfect but sad example of how loud complaining voices (which were most likely the vocal minority, given forum and yadda yadda) prohibit a reasonable and immersive change :(

16 hours ago, AntoineFlemming said:

The Braton Prime sounds like a pea shooter. I'm not sure what about its sound makes you think it feels like having more firepower.

The original, regular Braton was rattling around a lot. Which is something I liked as it was a starter weapon! Like "Here, have a crap gun and do something with it" :D Now it sounds more refined which I like as well, especially since it got buffed a while ago due to improved new player experience. It gives you a feeling of actually starting out as someone who isn't unplugged from the freezer, tossed some scrap and told to earn your spurs. Feels like you actually have something worthwhile in hands. The Braton Prime shares the same old rattle but it sounds a bit more refined and punchy (might just honestly be the higher fire rate though) with a hint of "Orokin sci-fi fluff" underneath. Sure it can be improved, I just would view other candidates as mentioned above as more important to to get some love :)  (( and I don't even use these weapons any more, yet I still believe they should get sound treatment very soon ))

if only there was a option to bring back some old sounds.....

would love to here the old lotus voice,and the old mob voices as well

bring back the sounds from about update 7 (when i first started playing this game)

this would allow old players to rejoice in nastalga while giveing the newer players something new....

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Best assault rifle sound ever = Aliens - Pulse Rifle.    Thats what the Braton Prime should sound like.   The new SFX sounds like real firearms = lame.  Add resonance and or reverb for some unique sounds.    He we also need to hear the sounds of shell casing hitting the floor.   And maybe give some unique reload SFX.   Everyone knows the PING of a ww1-2 rifle,  something unique like that.

If we use HUSH mod we should get unique silenced weapons fire.   Silencers dont actually eliminate all sound so that could be fun to play with.

My 3 fav guns so far are Braton Prime, Karak, Tibaron.  If im not using those im probably using a bow but only for fun.   The only other guns I like to play with are dual pistols but I dont have very many of those.  Just my Afuris.  The other take alot to build lol.   Havent even touched shotguns.

It would be really awesome if you gave the Atomizer?Atomis? (flamethrower) a nice super rish flame thrower sound effect.  I love using that on my Ember lol. 

can we talk about guns that dont sound so great?

Sicarus prime is one of those guns that by concept I should love
I mean its battle rifle turned pistol

so why does it sound like squirt squirt squirt  when firing?
it completely kills the excitement of the weapon for me

I always think that burst weapons should have heavy sounding firing sounds

then what about throwing knives?
I wish they sounded just a little bit more velocious and with that I mean it should sound like they are cutting through the air with a slight whistle during travel time
also I think they should have little bit more satisfying sound on impact think stab stab stab  sounds as the three projectiles hit the enemy

Im sure theres bunch of others that dont come to mind at this moment

Like someone above me, I'm a big fan of the Argonak's sounds - it's got such a solid, punchy noise I can't help but love it, so I really hope no changes are made to it! That aside, I'm very excited to see (and hear) more about this remastering at some point in the near future.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice stuff.

I don't know if this has been suggested before, but what I'd love to hear is muffling effects on weapons that are using suppressed weapons. The muffling is already in the game in one form or another -- notably, while using Ivara with any loud weapon modified with a maximum-rank suppression mod' (...such as Suppress). It'd be great to see this same effect applied to weapons fire if they would be suppressed by the equipped mod'. Obviously other things get suppressed while using Prowl, but you know what I mean.

Perhaps an even more impressive touch would be to apply these effects in line with the chance that each shot would be suppressed. So, if one of the mod's is used but isn't maximum-rank, then not every shot will be suppressed. It'd be great to hear the suppression muffles applied only when a shot would be suppressed.

Just a thought. There is impressive detail throughout Warframe, as it is, so this is really just me being pedantic.

Thanks for the hard work!

Archived