Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Variable Zoom With Eagle Eye Mod Equipped

Alighierian

Lately I've been messing around with my new Snipetron Vandal (thanks, DE) and eagle eye. I sort-of noticed a few things:

- It's pretty useful in certain situations when you're really supporting your team from some distance away;

think of the large grineer tiles, like the 'hangar' (commonly seen in the mining machine destruction missions), the cannon rooms and the asteroid rooms (a lot of big ones there).

- It makes zooming a lot less useful when you're playing solo (or the map is mostly small rooms), or in certain defence areas.

- It's annoying to constantly swap between eagle eye mod on the weapon and off, depending on the mission. This is mainly because when you're just playing through a sector it's a bit hard to tell what kind of tiles the next map is made of.

So I wondered, would it be possible to implement a varable zoom if you have the eagle eye mod equipped?

This could be something like the following, controlled with mousewheel or a different keybinding the player wants:

- right mouse button (or what the player binds it as) zooms in and out, like it is now. zoom setting is remembered.

- zoom levels:

1: basic zoom, similar to eagle eye not equipped

2: eagle eye lv0: 10%

3: lv1: 20%

4: lv2: 30%

5: lv3: 40%

- zoom level becomes available if the mod is; 1: installed, 2: the proper fusion level.

This would allow players to adapt their sniper rifles on the fly, depending on what the situation requires.

Sometimes it's a guy waiting just 30m away, other times it's a guy on the other side of the digsite.

And because the zoom setting is done with a different binding, you don't have to shift through all the magnifications all the time; you set the magnification and then use 'zoom' like you currently do.

In my eyes this is one of those 'small' things which could greatly improve supportive sniper gameplay.

Edited by Alighierian

Have a +1. I can understand not giving it to weapons without scopes, but an adjustable zoom would be amazingly nice on snipers- even as only for *more* zoom than the default currently gives.

Edited by TheBlueJelly

Have a +1. I can understand not giving it to weapons without scopes, but an adjustable zoom would be amazingly nice on snipers- even as only for *more* zoom than the default currently gives.

variable zoom would only be available if you have the Eagle eye mod installed on your weapon, that's the mod which gives extra zoom right now, but it's the adaptability I'm missing

Right click once for normal zoom.  Right click again for deeper zoom.  Right click again to go back to normal view.

no, like I explained, a keybinding to set the zoom level, and the zoom key like it is right now, whilst the zoom level is remembered. I know from experience that having to click through multiple (even if it's just 2) zoom levels is bloody annoying

example:

room 1 on grineer asteroid base: average room, too small for max zoom because you'd have a hard time aiming at moving stuff, because you perhaps can't lead properly without losing track of the target.

- zoom level set to default

now you can snapzoom and snipe stuff at medium range

room 4: large open room, enemies in cover on the other side

- zoom level set to 5 (40% extra zoom, max eagle eye)

now you can cover your teammates and pick off the enemy at long range

room 5: medium room, max zoom could work, but not preferred

- zoom level set to 3 (20% extra zoom)

taking out the guys all over the room is now easier, since you can keep track of them, but still have a bit of extra zoom for more accurate shots

if needed you could obviously change the zoom level quickly when needed at all times, to get an easier shot at some shield lancer, or zoom out to get a better overview

and I'll say it again: the zoom level should be saved or remembered, however you want to put it, but result should be:

- zoom level set

- RMB to snapzoom to that level

- zooming out again

- zooming in again, zoom level still the most previous change

zoom level could be changable during zooming and during 3rd person view

Edited by Alighierian

i was going to write up a lengthy universe long story thread about having zooms that make sense for Warframe sometime, but this has most of it covered. 

basically what i feel zoom customization should be, sniping weapons should have an extra slot on them, JUST for the zoom mod. making a sniping weapon or buying one would give you the zoom mod, and it WOULD NOT be a drop, ever again. make it like powers where you can't sell it if you unequip it from the gun. (using a mod card as an example because Warframe likes mod cards, but could easily just be a setting on the gun rather than a removable mod).

this zoom mod (would only fit in this slot and nothing else fits in this slot) would cost 0 mod points, and would have something as simple as a selector on how much bonus zoom you want - within reason ofcourse. between 0% and 200% in 10% increments sounds good to me. no fusion or anything, just choose the amount of zoom. fusing to add zoom is preposterous.

along with this, sniping weapons should have their current zoom amounts reduced to rifle zooms(assault rifles). this way, everyone gets the level of zoom they want. 

it sounds very reasonable to me and makes complete sense. literally the biggest problem i have with sniping weapons is the zoom is freaking crazy. it's like i'm zooming into the enemies' soul to try and find the atoms he's built out of. it's WAY too much. but other people think it's perfect. personally, i find it to be astronomical and difficult to work with. i even miss with sniper rifles because of the zoom, it zooms in so much that if i don't spend many seconds calculating the trajectory of the projectile to place the crosshair in the right spot where the shot will land dead center on the enemies' head or w/e weakpoint, i'll often miss where i watch the tracer on the shot come so close to the head of say, that corpus crewman, i could have taken his ear off if it was a normal human that had ears and a head that isn't square. :p

that crazy zoom also makes moving with the optic up really difficult. i'll zoom in on a moving target, and lose him completely because by the time i zoomed in he walked forward half a step and now all i see is the wall. 

Edited by taiiat

variable zoom would only be available if you have the Eagle eye mod installed on your weapon, that's the mod which gives extra zoom right now, but it's the adaptability I'm missing

I didn't say anything to indicate that I didn't understand that :/