Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

AFK Kick Timers in PvE

DarkFlameZealot

Now before all of you trash this post for reasons defending people with horrible connections and/or having to get up and leave to do something mid mission, take a decent amount of time to read it.

I'm tired of people joining missions and doing nothing but sit at spawn inside a frost bubble or hiding behind a box while the other three members proceed to play the mission through. Especially on sorties. I've had at least one mission per sortie where a player proceeds to go afk at spawn and still receives the rewards for completion. So I'm done with it. It's about time DE implemented the exact same afk timer for sitters in conclave events and such and applied it to PvE. Players may become discouraged by the Mirage Simulor spamming (of which I've not seen a single setup in 3 full days of sorties), or the embers/Nidus' dps making them seem broken and letting players pretty much go 'afk' while still hunting kills, but that's a different issue that the trash that leech from the very start.

Take today for instance, this very first sortie, I have two Nidus players, myself as a slowva and a frost. One Nidus decided they didn't care and sat at the extract as soon as we got to the usual mobile defense spot. Just rushed to extract and was actually, pathetically, sitting down in the middle of extract waiting the entire game for us to finish the three MD stations. It's stuff like this that makes the game flawed. Defense on any planet doesn't allow afk players to gain the rotation rewards due to 'inactivity', meaning they either stood in the same spot for the 5 waves, only killed one or so enemies and never casted a spell to leech affinity. While Akkad is common for this, going afk in a sortie, let alone any mission, should not be tolerated unless the party is a premade squad and the other three know exactly why the player has gone afk.

So I propose two things:

1) Add a timer setup for the host of a squad that can be changed until the first 30s of being inside a mission that will kick players that go afk (no movement, shooting, abilities casted in the past x time) from the squad and back to their ships. This would effectively remove the afk annoyance for teams that are premade to farm relics while also allowing friends that are in a squad of 4 to either choose to not have the afk timer applied to the game because they know if something comes up with their clanmates or irl friends, etc.

2 Apply the generic timer used in conclave to kick afk players from the squad after x time.

It may seem harsh to auto kick a player that had something come up in their home/life, but granting them, say, the third sortie reward, especially on annoying missions like Defense or Assassinate, for doing nothing is not ok. GTA has an idle kicking as well in multiplayer servers and matches. I see no reason why this shouldn't apply to PvE. Leeching by choice is already bad enough, and the 'leeching' caused by the meta of Synoid Mirage is getting a bit worse. 

What this will achieve if DE implement said AFK timers: use of autoclickers/macros will increase and ppl will continue to be AFK. The only difference will be that instead of sitting still the AFK player will run in circles or shoot in X time to avoid AFK detection.

Only exception needed is for solo mode, if you've selected solo there should be no afk penalties, you're playing single player, so you have to do the work eventually to complete the mission (as no one else will do it for you). But still allow room for taking things at your own pace in your own privacy. Otherwise, I get the need for better afk penalties.

Edited by SnuggleBuckets

2 minutes ago, EDM774 said:

What this will achieve if DE implement said AFK timers: use of autoclickers/macros will increase and ppl will continue to be AFK. The only difference will be that instead of sitting still the AFK player will run in circles or shoot in X time to avoid AFK detection.

And how is this cause for DE to NOT say that being a leeching shower implement is not okay?

Just now, EDM774 said:

Then we apply countermeasures. There's always going to be the few pieces of lazy community that don't like finishing the mission for a reward. I sympathize with them when it comes to archwing, but anyone has the skill to complete a mission that isn't Fortress/Lua Spy (hell, the spy sortie today took me 15 minutes cause I've ran it once with a single terminal hacked just to beat the map). I'm not sure how to fight the autoclicker and macros, but they need to be addressed too. 

10 minutes ago, SnuggleBuckets said:

Only exception needed is for solo mode, if you've selected solo there should be no afk penalties, you're playing single player, so you have to do the work eventually to complete the mission (as no one else will do it for you). But still allow room for taking things at your own pace in your own privacy. Otherwise, I get the need for better afk penalties.

I support this as well. Playing solo allows a player to be able to look up help guides on forums, YT, etc that can help them finish missions, especially those bugger spies on Uranus, Lua and Kuva fortress. I have to look stuff up sometimes as well while soloing the sortie spies just because I forget how to do something or I'm wandering in circles for 10 minutes. Solo would be exempt from being afk kicked as it doesn't negatively affect the party members.

43 minutes ago, SonicSonedit said:

This automatic afk auto detection was broken for ages and only hurts normal players, leechers made macros to avoid it like two years ago. It should be scrapped completely.

What normal players are affected by the AFK timer?

I've actually had the same problem for a while now. There's always that one guy or maybe two, that just stay behind and wait for the mission to be completed. I would rather have them run to extraction if they decide to not do anything because at least when the mission is over, I can get out of it quicker. It's so annoying having to wait for that one leecher to get to extraction because they didn't bother to keep up with the squad. 

I would rather have them not be rewarded at the end, wasting their own time in the process or perhaps have them be host migrated to different map alone and thus having to do the mission again entirely with a different group and if they continue to be afk, the whole thing repeats. 

53 minutes ago, ViS4GE said:

I can already picture all the " IM GET KICK 74MIN SIRVIVOR MISSON WHEN IM GO OPEN DOOR" threads.

It's never going to happen.

And this issue was blatantly and quite obviously addressed by the main post. At what point do you think a random pub squad will all 4 want to stay past an hour in any mission? Exactly. Perhaps 5% or less of the players actually try-hard to push their limits into relics that can go endless, defense, survival, etc. It's very rare to have a PUB group for that matter even go past 5mins on a survival, even 5 waves in a defense. 

The entire point of having the squad leader set those prereqs before the squad enters a mission is key. If one creates a squad of 4, that host will then be allowed to set a timer. If it's a random pub of 4 people, the so called 'host' (which is laughable, give us our fvcking dedicated PvE servers already), won't have these options. If the host who created the squad is still set to public for matchmaking, they won't be able to set a timer and must have MM on Friends Only or Invite Only.

• 3 months later...
On 2017-2-15 at 0:33 PM, SnuggleBuckets said:

On 2017-2-15 at 0:45 PM, DarkFlameZealot said:

I support this as well. Playing solo allows a player to be able to look up help guides on forums, YT, etc that can help them finish missions, especially those bugger spies on Uranus, Lua and Kuva fortress. I have to look stuff up sometimes as well while soloing the sortie spies just because I forget how to do something or I'm wandering in circles for 10 minutes. Solo would be exempt from being afk kicked as it doesn't negatively affect the party members.

If you are playing SOLO mode (no invite only, no friends only) you can actually pause the game and everything just freezes. Like an old school videogame.

On 2017. 02. 15. at 7:34 PM, DarkFlameZealot said:

Then we apply countermeasures. There's always going to be the few pieces of lazy community that don't like finishing the mission for a reward. I sympathize with them when it comes to archwing, but anyone has the skill to complete a mission that isn't Fortress/Lua Spy (hell, the spy sortie today took me 15 minutes cause I've ran it once with a single terminal hacked just to beat the map). I'm not sure how to fight the autoclicker and macros, but they need to be addressed too. 

What counter measures? Macros are almost undetectable, i had a team fortress auto move macro what uses nothing but a pre-set code on what i done and repeats it with mouse and keyboard input.

If you just set up a generic ban players who have macro capatable programs (damn huge list) you may ban everybody who bought gamer keyboard or mouse.

How about, instead of an automatic kick, the AFK timer triggers a vote option for the other players to either allow the AFK player to stay or to kick him?

This would leave it in the hands of the teammates whether they are fine with the AFK or not.

How about just removing afk timers all together. Only time it ever affects me is when im camping a spot spamming ev or other skills while trying to stay in cover. Or sniping since i like to find a good perch and sit there shooting. 

I dont actually care at all about afkers and i dont know why others do honestly. Chances are these are the people i sell things to in trade chat anyway

19 hours ago, (Xbox One)neoxal said:

If you are playing SOLO mode (no invite only, no friends only) you can actually pause the game and everything just freezes. Like an old school videogame.

Grats on quoting me for the purpose of explaining something I already stated lol. Solo mode would be exempt from this as it already should be considering solo prevents anyone else from joining you (except relays/bazaar/clan) so you can't afflict the 'trolling and leeching' I stated earlier :3

Im still wanting a kick function. had one game were one of our players was being griefed by the one random in the group. (he was playing with a sniper rifle on the shipyard def tile. and the random would run up there and stand infront of him so he ccouldnt shoot or see anything for the ENTIRE 10 waves of the alert)

I agree that afk'ers are annoying but let the player base decided who is truely afk since the current one has its issues already. (ive lost out on reward because i was on a def not moving and just kind of rotating turret mode with an ignis were an afk'er can just autowalk in a corner and get rewards)

Edited by Ordosan

2 hours ago, DarkFlameZealot said:

Grats on quoting me for the purpose of explaining something I already stated lol. Solo mode would be exempt from this as it already should be considering solo prevents anyone else from joining you (except relays/bazaar/clan) so you can't afflict the 'trolling and leeching' I stated earlier :3

Sorry if I am misunderstanding anything. I understood from your comment and @SnuggleBuckets comment that you both WOULD like solo mode to be exempted from AFK rules and that solo mode SHOULD not be penalized when going AFK. What I am trying to say is that solo mode IS exempted from all this AFK thing. You can actually pause the game and no afk kick bot, timer, punish or whatever will happen, because the game freezes. :D

Also when you are playing solo with the new host system in Dojo you can't invite anyone and you can't access the matchmaking options in the Dojo, so you need to return to your ship, change to invite only or public and then go to Dojo and invite. (happened to me the other day) :/

On 5/25/2017 at 0:02 AM, (Xbox One)neoxal said:

Sorry if I am misunderstanding anything. I understood from your comment and @SnuggleBuckets comment that you both WOULD like solo mode to be exempted from AFK rules and that solo mode SHOULD not be penalized when going AFK. What I am trying to say is that solo mode IS exempted from all this AFK thing. You can actually pause the game and no afk kick bot, timer, punish or whatever will happen, because the game freezes. :D

Also when you are playing solo with the new host system in Dojo you can't invite anyone and you can't access the matchmaking options in the Dojo, so you need to return to your ship, change to invite only or public and then go to Dojo and invite. (happened to me the other day) :/

You misunderstood my point, I know you can pause, but I also want in solo mode for there to be no triggered timelimits in for instance extermination if you haven't killed anything in a while, if you for instance want to take your time, be more stealthy, see the sights, explore at your own pace.