Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

64 bit crashes on launch after updating warframe and Nvidia

Costanzafaust

12 hours ago, Costanzafaust said:

I have seen other topics in the past for issues like this, and the game generated a few automatic bug reports when it crashed.

You should see a WAR-#### appear on the last page of one of these bug reports. Can you tell us what that WAR-#### is?

4 hours ago, [DE]Dmitri said:

You should see a WAR-#### appear on the last page of one of these bug reports. Can you tell us what that WAR-#### is?

One of them that I wrote down was WAR-1201469

I tried disabling the GeForce Experience overlay but I can still reproduce this on demand by checking 64 bit option. I will also try disabling the steam overlay and discord.  These were all working previously. This started happening after I updated the game and the nvidia drivers / software on 2/15.

29 minutes ago, Costanzafaust said:

One of them that I wrote down was WAR-1201469

Alright, thanks. Do you happen to overclock your video card at all? Either through an Nvidia tool or some sort of third party program? If so, you might want to remove the overclock just to see if there is any improvement with Warframe.

Video cards use the factory clocking.  CPU is also set to default speed.  I am using Nvidia SLI, I tested with SLI disabled and it still fails to launch in 64 bit mode.

I have not tried rolling back any of the Nvidia drivers, but Warframe is playable without the 64-bit option. However, the performance is especially bad when an environment first loads so it would be nice to find a way to resolve this that allows the 64 bit choice.

Edited by Costanzafaust
SLI tested

7 minutes ago, Costanzafaust said:

Video cards use the factory clocking.  CPU is also set to default speed.  I am using Nvidia SLI, I tested with SLI disabled and it still fails to launch in 64 bit mode.

I have not tried rolling back any of the Nvidia drivers, but Warframe is playable without the 64-bit option. However, the performance is especially bad when an environment first loads so it would be nice to find a way to resolve this that allows the 64 bit choice.

Curious if this is being caused by Nvidia PhysX Effects. Since you can't log into the game to disable this setting, can you try doing it from your EE.cfg?

So you'll want to go here:
C:\Users\(your username)\AppData\Local\Warframe

Find EE.cfg in this folder, open it in Notepad

And at the very bottom you should see Apex.GameEnable=1
Just switch that 1 to a 0, save the file, then try launching Warframe again.

This is not the ideal solution, but it will help us rule out any other potential causes.

I was just about to post something about PhysX.

So I have never been able to enable the checkbox because of SLI, but I notice in 32-bit it says PhysX is disabled.  In 64 bit, I used to be able to hover over that option and it would say PhysX not detected or something like that.  I posted a previous bug question about it but ... sometimes they don't seem to go anywhere in these forums.

Going to test the cfg edit now.

14 minutes ago, [DE]Dmitri said:

Curious if this is being caused by Nvidia PhysX Effects. Since you can't log into the game to disable this setting, can you try doing it from your EE.cfg?

So you'll want to go here:
C:\Users\(your username)\AppData\Local\Warframe

Find EE.cfg in this folder, open it in Notepad

And at the very bottom you should see Apex.GameEnable=1
Just switch that 1 to a 0, save the file, then try launching Warframe again.

This is not the ideal solution, but it will help us rule out any other potential causes.

I had to add the line to the cfg file but the result was the same with it set to either 0 or 1, with 64-bit checked the game crashes on launch.

To be clear, since that line was not in the cfg file already, it needs to be in the [Windows_Config,/EE/Types/Base/Config] section?

13 minutes ago, Costanzafaust said:

I had to add the line to the cfg file but the result was the same with it set to either 0 or 1, with 64-bit checked the game crashes on launch.

To be clear, since that line was not in the cfg file already, it needs to be in the [Windows_Config,/EE/Types/Base/Config] section?

Yes, that is the correct place. If the line is disappearing that likely means it is using its default value (which would be 0).

So when you normally install your Nvidia drivers do you install everything? And do you perform a clean install? Worried that you might be missing some of the more recent PhysX updates and that this could be causing the driver to fail. It might be worth reinstalling the latest Nvidia drivers and just making sure everything is up to date.

------

If that doesn't help, can you try restoring all of your Nvidia 3D settings to their default values? This can be done by navigating to Manage 3D Settings in the Nvidia Control Panel and clicking on the Restore button at the bottom.

Restore02.png.a88f287a9d21596945fb6d14886eb749.png

Once you have done that, navigate to Configure Surround, PhysX in the Nvidia Control Panel and make sure that your processor is not CPU bound.
Automatic or setting it to your main GTX 660 should be fine. 

physx.png.763f846ca0dabf4b7ebacaeca8b2f207.png

Edited by [DE]Dmitri

On the most recent Nvidia updates I just let the software auto update with previous settings. 

Restoring the nvidia default settings didn't stop the hard crash, something just isn't initializing at launch, before it even puts up the nidus splash screen. And all of those settings work fine in 32 bit warframe, just sometimes with a horrible framerate.

I get a blank full screen like it's going to load a game, then the crash report window. In window mode it's a black window then crash.

I use auto select for PhysX, and as this is SLI, it picks the card that is not feeding the display.

I can try to update the nvidia software again to see if I missed anything there.  

Edited by Costanzafaust

1 minute ago, Costanzafaust said:

On the most recent Nvidia updates I just let the software auto update with previous settings. 

Restoring the nvidia default settings didn't stop the hard crash, something just isn't initializing at launch, before it even puts up the nidus splash screen. And all of those settings work fine in 32 bit warframe, just sometimes with a horrible framerate.

I get a blank full screen like it's going to load a game, then the crash report window. In window mode it's a black window then crash.

I use auto select for PhysX, and as this is SLI, it picks the card that is not feeding the display.

I can try to update the nvidia software again to see if I missed anything there.  

Understood. The only reason we suspect it's your drivers is because of the WAR-#### you sent us. Is there any chance you could post a new WAR-#### before trying to update your drivers again? (also just to be safe I would recommend clicking "Clean Install" on your driver update)

5 hours ago, [DE]Dmitri said:

Understood. The only reason we suspect it's your drivers is because of the WAR-#### you sent us. Is there any chance you could post a new WAR-#### before trying to update your drivers again? (also just to be safe I would recommend clicking "Clean Install" on your driver update)

I think the WAR# from just before the driver update is either 1202153 or 1202178.

After a clean reinstall of Win7 64bit v378.66 nvidia drivers game is still crashing at launch with 64 bit enabled. latest war# 1202298

I believe this is also after another warframe hotfix.

game will still launch in 32-bit, but many of my config and graphics options have been reset. Thanks for your help so far Dmitri.

14 hours ago, Costanzafaust said:

I think the WAR# from just before the driver update is either 1202153 or 1202178.

After a clean reinstall of Win7 64bit v378.66 nvidia drivers game is still crashing at launch with 64 bit enabled. latest war# 1202298

Still trying to narrow this down. Would you be willing to roll back to the previous Nvidia driver? 

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

You can use this program to remove your current driver, then..

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/113442/en-us

I'd recommend trying this driver. 

Do a clean install, then try running Warframe in 64-bit mode and let us know if it works.

I found this hotfix for the nvidia driver

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4405

This is GeForce Hot Fix driver version 378.72 that addresses the following:

-          Fixed hardware encoding in Steam (In-Home Streaming).
-          Resolved PhysX being forced to CPU when "Optimize for Compute Performance" setting is OFF.

This really makes me think it's something Nvidia has messed up with the driver interface to PHYSX, but there's also the issue that Warframe doesn't seem to know how to handle the PHYSX when the system has SLI.  In any case, even the bug is on the nvidia side, it would be nice if warframe handled the fault better.

Anyway, the new Nvidia driver didn't fix the 64-bit crash, but the WAR # is 1204930.  I suppose I will try the dreaded driver rollback.

Edited by Costanzafaust

On 2/17/2017 at 9:14 AM, [DE]Dmitri said:

Still trying to narrow this down. Would you be willing to roll back to the previous Nvidia driver? 

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

You can use this program to remove your current driver, then..

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/113442/en-us

I'd recommend trying this driver. 

Do a clean install, then try running Warframe in 64-bit mode and let us know if it works.

All right.  After rolling back to Nvidia 376.33 ... I can launch the game in 64 bit mode.  I suppose I will wait for another Nvidia release.

Is DE able to start some kind of dev support case with Nvidia to work out a solution?  Let me know what else I can do to help you out.

I tried opening an enduser ticket with Nvidia. I got the case# 170219-000361, but I don't think the online support tech even understood what I was trying to report.

Edited by Costanzafaust

2 hours ago, Costanzafaust said:

This really makes me think it's something Nvidia has messed up with the driver interface to PHYSX, but there's also the issue that Warframe doesn't seem to know how to handle the PHYSX when the system has SLI.  In any case, even the bug is on the nvidia side, it would be nice if warframe handled the fault better.

You're not experiencing a universal problem. I run the 378.66 driver with PhysX in an SLI system with Pascal generation cards. Aside from a high memory use issue, the game launches and runs as it should in 64-bit.

On 2/19/2017 at 2:20 PM, cx-dave said:

You're not experiencing a universal problem. I run the 378.66 driver with PhysX in an SLI system with Pascal generation cards. Aside from a high memory use issue, the game launches and runs as it should in 64-bit.

I have a feeling it's pretty specific to my configuration, I can't find any others who seem to be having the same issue. Troubleshooting this seems to have isolated it to some change in the Nvidia driver, but it's trapping in the warframe code.  I don't think I tried testing other games while I had the latest driver installed.

Out of curiosity cx-dave, what does the warframe graphics configuration options display for you on the PhysX setting?   In 64-bit mode, my option for PhysX is greyed out and says PhysX was not detected. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Actually happens to me as well. On update 20.1.1 i noticed there was some fixes to PhysX in the patch notes, which prompted me to attempt to load the game up in 64 bit mode for giggles, and it actually worked! However I noticed the Phys X option was disabled and said to update to driver 381.65 to enable it. So I went ahead and updated, and the game is back to crashing again. I really had high hopes that the issue was solved, but i'm guessing i'll need to roll back to whatever my previous driver was for the time being.

I'm still crashing on the 64-bit client too.

Nvidia 381.65

Warframe Engine 2017.04.20.13.38

Crash report War# 1267404

Yeah JW, I've tried a number of things like disabling steam and discord overlays, uninstalling GeForce Experience, other launcher settings, but the only thing that has fixed it is rolling back the Nvidia driver or using 32-bit warframe client.    You may want to open a support case with Nvidia, but since DE-Dmitri seems to have gone silent, I'm not sure if anyone is still working on this from the DE side.

• 2 months later...