Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Weapon Idea, Drone Bomber

PhoeniixFiire

So I was just thinking a bit about the different weapons in the game, and it's quite clear to me that the weapons I like the most are ones with weird/unusual mechanics, like the Simulor, Tonkor, Zarr, etc. It's where Warframe sets itself apart from other games like it. Unfortunately, we also get a lot of upgrade type weapons, that are basically just reskins of past weapons with slightly different or better stats, maybe a special bonus ability (i.e. Heliocor or Cernos Prime) but not really different mechanics. You still smash things in the face with the Heliocor and headshot with the Cernos Prime just like you do other hammers and bows, even if the Cernos Prime does shoot a volley of arrows instead of just one (or two with multishot).

With all that said, I was thinking of a new weapon type that would be fun to use and useful, but would be different from anything else we've ever had in the game. What I came up with is basically a Drone Bomber. I'm not sure what faction it should fit in with, though Corpus probably makes the most sense and is how I envision it. You would basically have a Drone Replicator as the weapon and it would launch a drone that would fly in an arc (think an arrow, but slower and with a more exaggerated arc) and along it's flight path it would drop bombs/grenades (could be energy based if Corpus weapon or kinetic if Grineer based). Once fired, the drone would fly in an automated line over enemies, however, if fired with the alt-fire, then the drone remains under your control and you can steer it's trajectory, similar to Nova's Antimatter Drop, and it can either be steered into enemies for a massive explosion for tons of damage, or alt-fire can be pressed again to drop it's full payload directly below it and then it would drop straight down and explode for much less damage (since it no longer has it's payload) but would proc an electrical surge that would arc between enemies and stun them for a duration. Also, while flying along it's automated arc if fired normally, if it gets close enough it would arc electrical procs to enemies that would stun them, but this would also cause it to lose power over time and the more procs it does the lower it flies until it eventually crashes for an explosion with damage based on it's remaining payload.

As for stats, I'll leave those up to the designers, but what I had in mind for it is giving it high status and high crit, but balance it by giving them a sort of tug-of-war property. The higher you mod crit chance, the more status chance is reduced, and vice versa. This will allow players to choose which they want to mod it toward without making it too powerful. Flight speed mods could be used to increase the drone's flight speed. Fire rate would increase the electrical arcs as well as bomb drop rate. Accuracy mods could be used to change it's bomb dropping pattern to be more sporadic as well as to affect it's steering speed. The Sinister Reach mod could be used to increase the range of the electrical arcs (But again, this would cause more procs and thus it would die more quickly). Magazine capacity mods would increase the drone's payload. Also, on that note, the weapon would work similarly to the Azima alt-fire where the magazine capacity actually denotes the drone's payload size and upon fire it, the magazine capacity drops to zero and a reload is required to shoot another. Therefore the max ammo actually just denotes the total payload rather than the number of drones. The number of drones is thus dependent on the magazine capacity as well as the max ammo value. More max ammo and less ammo capacity means more drones overall, but less payload per drone. Less payload per drone means less energy exerted to carry that payload, thus more battery for doing electrical arcs and thus it can fly longer while doing electrical arcs. This would allow the player to favor crowd control instead of damage, or vice versa, as less payload means less damage during it's flight and less damage when it explodes.

Overall, what I had in mind for this weapon was versatility and player choice. It could be used in a lot of different ways and can be modded to fit pretty much exactly what the player wants without being too over powered. This would also give us another really good crowd control weapon, of which there are very few. I'm honestly not expecting much notice to be paid to this idea, but I would be ecstatic to see a weapon like this in the game as it would be extremely unique and a lot of fun to play around with. Please let me know what you think and feel free to add ideas for tweaks/additions below...I'm very open to suggestions!

1 minute ago, Chipputer said:

I wasn't aware that an explosive launching weapon was weird, mechanically, nor was I aware that building a shotgun into one of them made it weird. Hm.

It's the fact that the projectiles bounce all over the place as well as launch you in the air, and the Zarr is there because it has secondary explosions and it's the fact that it has two very different fire modes. It's not the same as with the Stratavar that just has auto vs semi-auto. The Zarr is literally two guns in one. The thing is though, I mentioned those because I couldn't really think of too many others that had super weird mechanics. Most of the other weapons are basically just normal weapons with a slight twist. I guess another example would be the scissor-whip weapons. Being able to pull enemies or pull yourself toward them is pretty unique, but again, there just aren't that many truly unique, unusual mechanics among the weapons. The Simulor I think is the first truly unique weapon and it's also my favorite weapon at the moment. With that said, is there a reason you decided to critique that little statement, which is completely subjective, instead of actually commenting on the idea for the new weapon? You got the point of the statement, the specific examples I mentioned aren't really that important.

i feel like this would be more of an ally/sentinel companion rather than a weapon from what you are saying a weapon that deploys drones that go self destruct mode, given the name (drone bomber). Maybe a sentient type weapon variation would be more appropriate for such a strange weapon.