Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Banshee causing Seizures

(XBOX)PhilfyRatBagZ

With the last update came changes to Banshee's Sound Qwake visuals. The problem is it is now like a strobe light effect and several people have complained that it can cause seizures. Yes you could use a black colour and this kinda fixes it, but I think DE needs to remove this new visual before it causes more issues.

And while I'm here, the changes to Frost snow globe visuals are also horrible too. People like a clear bubble for a reason, why change stuff that is not broken

I don't even have epilepsy and that stuff still hurts. I literally told this to a Banshee player and they replied with "Not myyyy problem" and continued to chase me around spamming in a defense sortie. The effect is less intense from the users point of view and moreso from anywhere else to anyone else within about 60 meters. The "option" to use different energy colors is a mut point when everyone else is forced to deal with whatever one jerk decides to use or restart nearly half-way through a defense or mobile defense sortie.

Apparently this was a pre-existing concern/problem back in 2014 as well and the effect was removed then. Now it's back for whatever reason, but the precedent exists.

Edited by (PS4)imObvioslycrazy

Hey guys, thank you for bringing this to our attention. We're currently looking into reducing the intensity of this effect for anyone playing as Banshee. We are also considering making it so that only the player casting the ability can see it. This means if you're in a Defense mission with a Banshee in your squad you should no longer see that player's strobe light effect on your screen.

Unfortunately we do not have an ETA on when you can expect these improvements on consoles, however we will try to get them out to Xbox One / PS4 in a timely manner.

Edited by [DE]Dmitri

10 minutes ago, [DE]Dmitri said:

Hey guys, thank you for bringing this to our attention. We're currently looking into reducing the intensity of this effect for anyone playing as Banshee. We are also considering making it so that only the player casting the ability can see it. This means if you're in a Defense mission with a Banshee in your squad you should no longer see that player's strobe light effect on your screen.

Unfortunately we do not have an ETA on when you can expect these improvements on consoles, however we will try to get them out to Xbox One / PS4 in a timely manner.

Would it be possible to change the effect instead of completely removing it from other players? Knowing which powers your squad mates are using is really important for situational awareness.

4 minutes ago, SilentCircle said:

Would it be possible to change the effect instead of completely removing it from other players? Knowing which powers your squad mates are using is really important for situational awareness.

Absolutely. We have already reduced the brightness of the effect, and now it fades when near. So hopefully that is enough to avoid running into the kind of trouble that imObvioslycrazy brought up.

Edited by [DE]Dmitri

This is the reason I can't play Limbo actually, not only is my wife epileptic and being in the rift can make the entire room flash, but it gives me headaches and really reduces the fun I can have anyway. I think he could be an extremely fun frame which is why it's really disappointing that I can't use him, and all of the options and advice support staff have given me hardly touched it, along with the message that they just don't have enough options in settings to to counter flashing from abilities and weapons.

On 2/15/2017 at 9:03 PM, (Xbox One)PhilfyRatBagZ said:

And while I'm here, the changes to Frost snow globe visuals are also horrible too. People like a clear bubble for a reason, why change stuff that is not broken

Thought I might follow this up with the fact that Nyx's Absorb bubble is hard to see through without using Black as an Energy Color. Not a big problem, really. Unless of course, you are like me, and enjoy playing an Assimilate Nyx, and cannot see what you're doing as you try to navigate through obstacle filled rooms. All with low visibility. Until this is fixed, I cannot reach true endgame, as my Fashion will never truly be on-point.

2 hours ago, [DE]Dmitri said:

Absolutely. We have already reduced the brightness of the effect, and now it fades when near. So hopefully that is enough to avoid running into the kind of trouble that imObvioslycrazy brought up.

Sorry for semi hijacking attempt... but while we can appreciate things are brought up attention of the devs and things can change to the better, I think it's very important that whenever the art department that are remotely "flashy", extra care should be taken care of in consideration on not making things extra bright and fluctuating lightness too fast.

Meanwhile you are at it (and I will keep bring this up until it's fixed), please reduce Telos Boltace's spin attack's particle effects, for the same exact reason as OP brought up.

10 hours ago, Gryphon57 said:

This is the reason I can't play Limbo actually, not only is my wife epileptic and being in the rift can make the entire room flash, but it gives me headaches and really reduces the fun I can have anyway. I think he could be an extremely fun frame which is why it's really disappointing that I can't use him, and all of the options and advice support staff have given me hardly touched it, along with the message that they just don't have enough options in settings to to counter flashing from abilities and weapons.

100% with you.. even if you make your color just black as possible it still hurts... my eyes :l

17 hours ago, kgptzac said:

Meanwhile you are at it (and I will keep bring this up until it's fixed), please reduce Telos Boltace's spin attack's particle effects, for the same exact reason as OP brought up.

We took a look at the Telos Boltace and have made some improvements to the particles for next update. Both the particles that float around as well as the rings for each spin attack will disappear more quickly now. You will still see them, they just won't linger for quite as long (which should hopefully prevent your screen from being covered in rings). 

Edited by [DE]Dmitri

@[DE]DmitriWhile we're on the topic of sickening effects I would like to mention something that seems to get ignored everytime its brought up in the feedback section. Camera shakes. For many people screen shake is sickening and doesnt add any value to the gameplay. I would like to see someone from DE say something about this. Will there ever be a toggle for this effect? If not how come? Please dont ignore this issue.

Edited by kubbi

On 2/21/2017 at 2:21 PM, Gryphon57 said:

This is the reason I can't play Limbo actually

48 minutes ago, kubbi said:

@[DE]DmitriWhile we're on the topic of sickening effects I would like to mention screen shake is sickening and doesnt add any value to the gameplay. I would like to see someone from DE say something about this. Will there ever be a toggle for this effect? If not how come? Please dont ignore this issue.

Plus one to both of these

On 2/22/2017 at 8:30 AM, [DE]Dmitri said:

Thx DE Dmirtri and your team, But please consider removing the flash effect all together. The problem is not just for those it could make sick, but it hinders game play for everyone, try hacking a console with the flash going off in your screen......that is intense

I know it is not just a click of a button to fix this nor to say the ideas your team come up with to improve the game are bad, but lately a lot of players hate the visual chaos in an already colourful game. For every one person that posts here about this, there is 1000 more that say nothing.

Thx for listening to us...

:0)

Instead of pulsing  from  Banshee --> to the end.

Isn't another option just to pulse the final distant location. Similar to Vaubans Bastille - except on the ground and pulsing. 

7 minutes ago, LIKE_A_PR3DAT0R said:

Imagine 2 Banshees + Bard frame.+ Mirage.

You can have a dance club particle effects party.

Edited by xxswatelitexx

16 hours ago, kubbi said:

@[DE]DmitriWhile we're on the topic of sickening effects I would like to mention something that seems to get ignored everytime its brought up in the feedback section. Camera shakes. For many people screen shake is sickening and doesnt add any value to the gameplay. I would like to see someone from DE say something about this. Will there ever be a toggle for this effect? If not how come? Please dont ignore this issue.

Camera shaking is something we have been discussing, however we do not have anything to announce at the moment. I can assure you that we are aware that there are some players who find the shaking difficult to handle and we hope to have a solution for this in the future.

On 2/21/2017 at 6:10 PM, Lordnight5hade said:

Thought I might follow this up with the fact that Nyx's Absorb bubble is hard to see through without using Black as an Energy Color. Not a big problem, really. Unless of course, you are like me, and enjoy playing an Assimilate Nyx, and cannot see what you're doing as you try to navigate through obstacle filled rooms. All with low visibility. Until this is fixed, I cannot reach true endgame, as my Fashion will never truly be on-point.

We have just improved the visibility of Nyx's Absorb bubble for the next update. It should be easier to see through the bubble with these changes.

Edited by [DE]Dmitri

15 minutes ago, xxswatelitexx said:

Instead of pulsing  from  Banshee --> to the end.

Isn't another option just to pulse the final distant location. Similar to Vaubans Bastille - except on the ground and pulsing. 

Imagine 2 Banshees + Bard frame.+ Mirage.

You can have a dance club particle effects party.

ez 

515.gif 

18 minutes ago, [DE]Dmitri said:

Camera shaking is something we have been discussing, however we do not have anything to announce at the moment. I can assure you that we are aware that there are some players who find the shaking difficult to handle and we hope to have a solution for this in the future.

Thank you. I'm glad to hear that its been acknowledged and having a response for the matter.

@[DE]Dmitri

Just did a few games with a friend to see how Id cope (as an epileptic) with banshees new quake effect and I gotta say - not well at all. The pulsing is constant, pain inducing and you literally can't hide from it anywhere. He changed his energy to black to see if it made a difference - the pulse was still light and bright, not black at all.

We did the sortie intercept and then a 5 wave defence to test out the black and I am still feeling the effects now, so much so that Im going to lay down. Had we stayed for a proper length of time Id be on the floor doing the jitterbug.

I can't stress enough how much this needs to be removed, it is in no way epileptic friendly. Making it so only the user can see it won't work, how am I going to use my prime access banshee Ive been waiting for if thats a possible fix? Please reconsider this effect, it really is not needed.

40 minutes ago, Zanchak said:

@[DE]Dmitri

Just did a few games with a friend to see how Id cope (as an epileptic) with banshees new quake effect and I gotta say - not well at all. The pulsing is constant, pain inducing and you literally can't hide from it anywhere. He changed his energy to black to see if it made a difference - the pulse was still light and bright, not black at all.

We did the sortie intercept and then a 5 wave defence to test out the black and I am still feeling the effects now, so much so that Im going to lay down. Had we stayed for a proper length of time Id be on the floor doing the jitterbug.

I can't stress enough how much this needs to be removed, it is in no way epileptic friendly. Making it so only the user can see it won't work, how am I going to use my prime access banshee Ive been waiting for if thats a possible fix? Please reconsider this effect, it really is not needed.

Hi Zanchak, the improvements we made to this ability have not been released yet. We will try to get these changes out to you as soon as possible. 
When the Banshee improvements make it into an update they will be included in a future thread found in the Update & Build Notes subforum. 
https://forums.warframe.com/forum/3-pc-update-build-notes/

Edited by [DE]Dmitri

On 2/22/2017 at 1:06 PM, [DE]Dmitri said:

We took a look at the Telos Boltace and have made some improvements to the particles for next update. Both the particles that float around as well as the rings for each spin attack will disappear more quickly now. You will still see them, they just won't linger for quite as long (which should hopefully prevent your screen from being covered in rings). 

Thank you for keeping us updated on potential changes to effects.

Please consider reducing the amount of particles overall from the Telos Boltace, or alternatively, working towards implementing something like this so we can avoid being frustrated with obnoxious energy color choices by teammates. (I'd like to say in matchmaking, but.. well, who needs jokers in matchmaking when you have friends happy to do it for you)

Edited by Temragon

11 hours ago, [DE]Dmitri said:

Hi Zanchak, the improvements we made to this ability have not been released yet. We will try to get these changes out to you as soon as possible. 
When the Banshee improvements make it into an update they will be included in a future thread found in the Update & Build Notes subforum. 

Awesome, I just figured putting another voice out there for those of us with dodgy brains is never a bad thing. :thumbup:

18 hours ago, [DE]Dmitri said:

I would have thought you guys would just use a toned down version of the dust cloud fx around Banshee to indicate SQ growth, since that's already in the code and would just need to be applied to quake's range, with an inversely proportional function on the fx.

10 hours ago, Zanchak said:

Awesome, I just figured putting another voice out there for those of us with dodgy brains is never a bad thing. :thumbup:

Ideally no one should feel nauseous when playing Warframe, and if they do then we sincerely apologize. Hopefully the changes that will be going live soon can help improve the experience for yourself and any other players who have been affected. If the game still feels unplayable to anyone with epilepsy then we will go back to the drawing board and make it better. Sometimes it can be difficult to gauge how far we can go with certain effects, so all feedback is greatly appreciated.

10 hours ago, Temragon said:

Please consider reducing the amount of particles overall from the Telos Boltace

With the upcoming changes to the Telos Boltace the particles seem to be more reasonable now, however if it still seems out of control then please let us know (possibly with a screenshot) and we can see if there are any further improvements we can make.

3 minutes ago, [DE]Dmitri said:

Ideally no one should feel nauseous when playing Warframe, and if they do then we sincerely apologize. Hopefully the changes that will be going live soon can help improve the experience for yourself and any other players who have been affected. If the game still feels unplayable to anyone with epilepsy then we will go back to the drawing board and make it better. Sometimes it can be difficult to gauge how far we can go with certain effects, so all feedback is greatly appreciated.

With the upcoming changes to the Telos Boltace the particles seem to be more reasonable now, however if it still seems out of control then please let us know (possibly with a screenshot) and we can see if there are any further improvements we can make.

Is there any chance stuff like this can be made into a toggle for those who are not prone to seizures? I quite enjoy the madness and the light show of both Banshee and the Telos Boltace.