The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

16:9 vs 16:10 or 1920x1080 versus 1920x1200 ,black bars would be nice

LVVS

Hey fellow Tennos, i have a question, and maybe an eyeopener for some of you:

Which resolution do you prefer (if you ever tested out different resolutions) and why? -Because long story as short as possible:

Some time ago I had a 16:9 monitor ( 1920x1080 ). Not so long time ago I switched to a 16:10 monitor ( 1920x1200 ). That meant I switched the resolution for warframe as well. What I recognized pretty fast, when I visited my operator, was the focus circles got stretched in the menu, what botheres me till today! I guess all the menus get stretched, but nothing is so bothering like the ovals in the focus-menu. But having a bigger screen, I just went with it because of course from 16.9 to 16:10 is an upgrade - right ?...,yeay !.. until just recently... I discovered, that with the resolution of 1920 x 1200 I do NOT get a larger field of view. In fact, some parts are being cut off right and left. See the images I add below and compare it yourself! My conclusion now of course: 

I switched back to  1920x1080 -> but windowed, <-> since switching to 1920x1080 fullscreen apparently is basically the same as 1920x1200 fullscreen* Don't know why.[ DE HAAALP  please^^] It's got more cinematic feeing again either way! But playing the game in window mode, I had to make a few adjustments , as for example blending out my task-bar automatically and  select black as window color as well as pictures in the background that are 1920x1080 too ...

* I wish the game would allow me to select 1920x1080 fullscreen and add black bars on top and on the bottom for just the best experience for sure, just like the vlc-player does when playing a movie..you get me....

Note: I am aware of the 'Field of View' selection in the display settings, all I did as mentioned above i did while not making any adjustments to the FoV settings! 

Spoiler

notice how the red circles are cut in half on the 1920x1200 images, while they are full in 1920x1080 !

Did you select in the game to use 16:10 aspect ratio?

I know there's some issues with UI not actually liking anything that isn't 1080p once it goes above. But I'd swear they fixed 16:10 UI issues some time ago, although I could be wrong and have confused it for another AR.

Edited by NightmareT12

sometimes switching to a different aspect ratio monitor, even though the screen is larger and has more pixels, is actually a downgrade depending on what you need it for.  Movies, games, youtube videos, etc, are all formatted to 16:9 and will most likely stretch in some way when full screen.  I don't know, myself, if warframe supports 16:10 - there are other people reporting issues with various resolutions going into 4k - but it might be good to consider. 

6 minutes ago, NightmareT12 said:

Did you select in the game to use 16:10 aspect ratio?

I know there's some issues with UI not actually liking anything that isn't 1080p once it goes above. But I'd swear they fixed 16:10 UI issues some time ago, although I could be wrong and have confused it for another AR.

It was never mentioned in the hotfixes or even devstreams, as it isn't a common aspect ratio at all. 

Just now, -NvO-Venom said:

sometimes switching to a different aspect ratio monitor, even though the screen is larger and has more pixels, is actually a downgrade depending on what you need it for.  Movies, games, youtube videos, etc, are all formatted to 16:9 and will most likely stretch in some way when full screen.  I don't know, myself, if warframe supports 16:10 - there are other people reporting issues with various resolutions going into 4k - but it might be good to consider. 

It was never mentioned in the hotfixes or even devstreams, as it isn't a common aspect ratio at all. 

There was something definitely fixed in response of a thread, but I don't remember what. Could have been simply the Warframe Arsenal.

So yeah. Anyways I think Steve already noted they're aware of issues of anything other than the 1080p norm and they wanted to change it, so we'll see how it goes.

You say "1080p norm" , and I understand why that is the norm. (I think assassin's creed aslo has the wide-screen norm, lot#s of games use it as norm, and I myself like it more, too)

I let out the issue with the aspect ratio completely for "understandeable reasons" ,sorry, but trust me, i tried everything, and it didn't work, it even got worse. For some reason to slecet the ratio 16:9 plus selecting 1920x1080 won't make it the way I want it, no matter if fullscreen is selected or borderless or what else there can be selected. When i try to select ratio 16:9 and resolution 1920x1080 the outcome is even a stretched image with eggheads ( i think with borderless + 16:9 + 1920x1080 )...so it's worse

I can add images, if you want ( already would have, but imgur won't respond right now)

28 minutes ago, nyxtasy said:

You say "1080p norm" , and I understand why that is the norm. (I think assassin's creed aslo has the wide-screen norm, lot#s of games use it as norm, and I myself like it more, too)

I let out the issue with the aspect ratio completely for "understandeable reasons" ,sorry, but trust me, i tried everything, and it didn't work, it even got worse. For some reason to slecet the ratio 16:9 plus selecting 1920x1080 won't make it the way I want it, no matter if fullscreen is selected or borderless or what else there can be selected. When i try to select ratio 16:9 and resolution 1920x1080 the outcome is even a stretched image with eggheads ( i think with borderless + 16:9 + 1920x1080 )...so it's worse

I can add images, if you want ( already would have, but imgur won't respond right now)

Add pics here of examples where the UI is failing to meet the correct contrast ratio and I'm sure the team will end up seeing it. Sometimes you'll have to insist a bit though :P

I made another album with more detailed information. Hope this can help to make it clear what my thoughts/concerns are on the display settings.

[ Maybe it's just my built? idk, am now happy with my window mode though, DE should rather add 'toggle prime parts' for immortal skins as well before looking into this one :) ]

Spoiler

Thanks for that advise. I just tried it (again), and with help of various youtube tutorials. I managed to set the resolution to 1900x1080 with the "Radeon Crimson" software.

But as soon I start the game it just ignores, that I selected another resolution overall in windows and or radeon crimson software.

So My desktop in 1920x1080 but the game still in FULLSCREEN in 1920x1200 ...no thanks!

The game just  won't "detect" that I selected 1920x1080 as my resolution in general... " I am at the end with my latin here " 

Well that is very interesting, I have the same resolution, 1920x1200, and I do indeed notice the focus menu stretch, but if anything I have a higher field of vision than your 1920x1080 screenshots. What is your fov value because mine is maxed.

Edited by ikitclaw

My fov is 69 right now, not maxed, and as already mentioned above in my first post, I did all the comparison with the same fov.

So if you just try it once and set it to windowed 1920x1080 and 16:9 you might get an even larger view! 

• 4 weeks later...

Crap, should've checked this before ordering my my new 21:9 monitor. I just assumed WF would have no problems with resolutions since it's a newer game. Oh well, I shall see how it goes next week once it arrives. 

As for having a black background covering your screen, the most convenient way for me is using http://deadpixelbuddy.com/black.html and just using f11 to force fullscreen. I use this all the time to blakout my second and third screen. 

Mhh, really hoping I won't have to jump through hoops to get WF running properly on a different aspect ratio. Really excited about the new screen since I'm going from TN to IPS and it would suck to change screens when watching movies to playing gaming.

3 hours ago, alfaomega04 said:

Crap, should've checked this before ordering my my new 21:9 monitor. I just assumed WF would have no problems with resolutions since it's a newer game. Oh well, I shall see how it goes next week once it arrives. 

As for having a black background covering your screen, the most convenient way for me is using http://deadpixelbuddy.com/black.html and just using f11 to force fullscreen. I use this all the time to blakout my second and third screen. 

Mhh, really hoping I won't have to jump through hoops to get WF running properly on a different aspect ratio. Really excited about the new screen since I'm going from TN to IPS and it would suck to change screens when watching movies to playing gaming.

Warframe does not work on super widescreen monitors as it would give you an unfair advantage over other players.

On 3/17/2017 at 10:38 AM, Zepp_ said:

Warframe does not work on super widescreen monitors as it would give you an unfair advantage over other players.

New monitor finally arrived and got to set it up. Warframe actually does work in ultrawide. No, it doesn't add black bars to the side and leave a 16:9, nor does it stretch the image to fit the 21:9. It works flawlessly. Even the menus aren't stretched or distorted. As for the health/team overlay, it is simply pushed to the sides as it is normally done in the normal resolution. It works well. 

The only thing negative I think think of is that my framerate took a much bigger hit than I expected and I am now forced to running basically on the lowest settings. I guess gpu upgrade is next.