Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Could we keep the fast bomb charging in The Law of Retribution?

Nspace

As of Hotfix 19.11.2, the bombs in the first stage of both versions of The Law of Retribution Trial take half as long to charge. While I'm sure that this change was an unintended side effect of one of the bug fixes in that hotfix, I'd personally like the charging speed to stay like it is now because it makes the whole stage a lot more hectic and fun. Players are no longer forced to stand still and do nothing while they wait for the bomb to finish charging but they instead have to move quickly and race to the injector before the battery is armed. This not only requires the team to have good movement skills but also promotes coordination between players, which is what the Trial missions are supposed to encourage.

While I can see how this change can make the mission less accessible to newer players and unorganized groups, Trials are supposed to be hard end-game content and this change would certainly be a good step in the right direction in that, unlike increasing enemy levels which simply encourages players to stack crowd control on top of more crowd control, it would actually make the mission more challenging.

Edited by -dicht.Nspace-
Typo in title

Just now, Praxxor said:

You can't exactly farm something that has a time limit on it though.

Well he meant the time taken to finish the raids is lesser and less of a pain with faster charging, Considering how many people neglect to do raids because of the time constraints, this will help a bit :)

I dont like it and i am looking forward to the fix (which has been announced on twitter if i recall correctly).
Raids are supposed to be a set of puzzles and not hectic running around, throwing energy pizzas like crazy and hoping someone will pick up the bomb after you dropped it.
Is this bug speeding up raids? yes. In a good way faster? No, in my opinion absolutely not. If 770 Energy is not enough to even reach the bombing place and requires energy plates half way through, then there is clearly something wrong. Sure its doable, no doubt there, but its unforgiving. Your energy is gone in seconds and you only have so much time to react.
Not to mention that it makes uncoordinated raids and raids with beginners unnecessary harder.

I am one of those that very much enjoy the faster bomb charging speed, but I can also see @ButterLutter's point about it being harder on beginners.

Perhaps a suitable compromise would be to keep the fast charging bombs for the Nightmare version of The Law of Retribution? It is meant to be a harder trial after all, and returning the slower bomb charging speed to the normal version of the raid will still allow it to be accessible for newer raiders.

I'm sure others can think up of a better solution though.

I think @--Q--Gelbug has the right idea - raids are perceived as frustratingly difficult by non-raiders as it is, and adding this kind of challenge would not help the problem. However, as a veteran, I can confirm a lot of people have been enjoying the change (as per this strawpoll http://www.strawpoll.me/12371313/r). Nightmare mode should be scary and challenging, which it isn't right now, and this would reward skill with faster times. And like OP said, it's not like you can't just give the bomb to a secondary carrier if you don't want to run faster or spam pads. 

31 minutes ago, --Q--Kyl0Ren said:

Well he meant the time taken to finish the raids is lesser and less of a pain with faster charging, Considering how many people neglect to do raids because of the time constraints, this will help a bit :)

That's correct, but still, there's no such thing as farming arcanes IMO.

I've seen experienced and fast speedrunners deal with this by spamming pads (and the love the faster charging time)

I've seen experienced but non speedrunners deal with this by co-ordinating the movement if EV and bomb carrier (and they seem to enjoy that they can't just stack max P flow and go into their own world to carry the bomb)

I've seen non experienced and non fully built raiders deal with this by having an backup for the bomb carrier (they are like mehhh whatever, one less guy for hacking, at least we don't have to worry about finishing hacks too early or shooting the bomb)

I think this change is a very welcome one, should it get reverted back to "normal", I would like the increased charging speed to be kept for LoRNM

I think we need this to stay. It creates more challenge and more coordination. It also posts a brand new challenge for people attempting 4 man runs. This is the type of thing I have been longing for since Raids came out because when they released it was mostly muscle memory, but now there is actually something that you need to race against and keep up with pads/good EV. 

+1 Definietly Support :D

Edited by -Voltage-

1 hour ago, Praxxor said:

That's correct, but still, there's no such thing as farming arcanes IMO.

LOL but there is. Arcanes are one of the easiest ways to make plat if you are dedicated and can host/be part of daily teams. Grace, Avenger, Energize, Fury are all expensive, but Trickery, Strike, Guardian, Aegis can make really good income. Also arcanes are one of the only "end game gears" left. Only the people who can do raids or the people with plat can obtain these items to enhance gear further.

Edited by -Voltage-

Just now, -Voltage- said:

LOL but there is. Arcanes are one of the easiest ways to make plat if you are dedicated and can host/be part of daily teams. Grace, Avenger, Energize, Fury are all expensive, but Trickery, Strike, Guardian, Aegis can make really good income. Also arcanes are one of the only "and game gears" left. Only the people who can do raids or the people with plat can obtain these items to enhance gear further.

Farming is a bit different from what you're describing though.

2 minutes ago, Praxxor said:

Farming is a bit different from what you're describing though.

While I can see your point, I'd argue that dedicating an hour or more of playtime everyday to running raids for arcanes still counts as farming, even though there's a hard limit on how many you can obtain in a given amount of time.

2 hours ago, --Q--Gelbug said:

I am one of those that very much enjoy the faster bomb charging speed, but I can also see @ButterLutter's point about it being harder on beginners.

Perhaps a suitable compromise would be to keep the fast charging bombs for the Nightmare version of The Law of Retribution? It is meant to be a harder trial after all, and returning the slower bomb charging speed to the normal version of the raid will still allow it to be accessible for newer raiders.

I'm sure others can think up of a better solution though.

I like this idea, but I think if DE wants newer raiders they should make a "Sortie" type of a raid with scaled down enemies, slow bomb charge, less enemy density, and such to help players get a feel for puzzles and run them 4 or less people no sweat. The reward would be only common arcanes (the "junk" ones).

It should scale with completions with each tier being harder and harder (bomb goes a little faster, higher level enemies + more density) and then eventually it locks and tells the player they must now make keys to attempt the actual Law of Retribution. This is not needed for the Jordas Verdict because this raid is not really super "difficult" just time consuming with useless filler (decryption stage).

This way we can keep the bomb the way it is for the veterans but still be thinking about new blood in raids.

Edited by -Voltage-