Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Random Thought: Gun Finishers

(XBOX)CannyJack

So I don't know exactly what prompted this, but the idea of "gun finishers" just popped into my head. I dont' mean "finisher damage by shooting someone from a long way away" but more like an animation of a "finishing move" using a ranged weapon when you're up close and personal with an enemy. 

Honestly, my reason is less of a way to deal more damage or anything, and more just to have some cool-looking moves. But as an example, it would just be whenever a target is set up for a finisher, you could have a way to do that finisher with your ranged weapon. So say Inaros blinds an Bombard, setting them up for a finish. Instead of hitting melee to execute a finisher, you could pull the trigger and, say, grab them, jam the gun into their gut, and boom-boom-boom-boom. Or if you had a shotgun, you could jam it up under their chin and BOOM, that's all she wrote.

Again, random idea - less about damage and more about just other ways to kill enemies and look good doing it. Obviously, lots of potential issues, but just something I thought would be neat.

I concur. would be awesome. +1

Even better would be if the style of gun made a difference... like if you used a smaller sidearm (lex, etc) and if doing a stealth finisher, the frame would do a CIA hit style move where it just walked up behind the target quickly and put a bullet behind its ear. 

Edited by (PS4)GR13V4NC3

I was thinking that Quick Melee would start a combo with a Pistol whip or Rifle butt that can stagger an enemy as the first part of the sequence, then could transition to drawing the melee.

that way tap Quick Melee once or twice you don't deal much damage but can have a guaranteed stagger where you can reload or fire afterwards. then if instead you either hold or repeatedly press quick melee you eventually draw your Melee to strike at the enemy.

Instantly thought "Gun-blades already exist though".

But now that I think about it, seems like it could be cool. As an inaros player, I'd certainly be open to having more than 2 finisher animations for a mission.

3 minutes ago, Dumfing said:

It would seriously hinder trying to stun enemies and mow them down with just bullets

All the more reason to allow for the option to bind finishers to another/its own key.

Edited by chainchompguy3

As mentioned, there are issues - one, especially, is how to trigger it - did I mean to shoot that guy, or do a finisher? And that's probably a bigger issue for consoles, since we don't have many buttons to use. I would love to see it, but I admit I'm not sure how it could be smoothly implemented without breaking something else. 

Now, I've never gone into a mission without a melee weapon equipped, but as a sort of baby-step, it would be neat if, when you do that, your "Quick Melee" option uses the weapon in your hand to bash, stab (if it's got a blade or whatever), and otherwise fold, spindle and mutilate the enemy (e.g., if I have no melee weapon, and am wielding the Sybaris, then quick melee bashes the enemy with the rifle butt). 

8 hours ago, (Xbox One)CannyJack said:

did I mean to shoot that guy, or do a finisher

This is sadly still a problem with even melee finishers, in that if the enemy just moves out or the trigger isn't quite on point you just hit them with a normal melee attack.

Finishers on the whole need a look at, as most are much slower and not really needed over a faster more player controlled attack.

I'm not against having more, but lets get the system working reliably before stacking on top of it.

Edited by Loswaith

honestly,as soon as u said gun finishers i thought of the Dawn of War sync kills where marines just like mow the enemy down point blank with a heavy bolter, then i thought of how it would work with the orgris :I, dont think it would end well on ur end, still would be interesting, nice little bit of added fun 

Edited by Firestorm672

Maybe have it triggered by which weapon you have equipped when the finisher prompt displays? It will still use the melee button to execute a finisher, but the way it's executed will depend on if you have your melee, secondary, or primary weapon currently equipped. Each will each have their own finishers based on weapon class, and some weapons can have unique finishers like the Tigris and Tiberon.

Also for the Ogris, maybe have a special finisher which flings the enemy forward about 10 meters with a rocket embedded in their torso, then they explode (turn off self damage for this one move in case they hit a wall.) Any enemies they hit while in flight just get bowled over with a ragdoll effect and we gain a new Tenno tradition of Grineer bowling.

Edited by notHunky

On 24/2/2017 at 1:35 PM, (Xbox One)CannyJack said:

So I don't know exactly what prompted this, but the idea of "gun finishers" just popped into my head. I dont' mean "finisher damage by shooting someone from a long way away" but more like an animation of a "finishing move" using a ranged weapon when you're up close and personal with an enemy. 

Honestly, my reason is less of a way to deal more damage or anything, and more just to have some cool-looking moves. But as an example, it would just be whenever a target is set up for a finisher, you could have a way to do that finisher with your ranged weapon. So say Inaros blinds an Bombard, setting them up for a finish. Instead of hitting melee to execute a finisher, you could pull the trigger and, say, grab them, jam the gun into their gut, and boom-boom-boom-boom. Or if you had a shotgun, you could jam it up under their chin and BOOM, that's all she wrote.

Again, random idea - less about damage and more about just other ways to kill enemies and look good doing it. Obviously, lots of potential issues, but just something I thought would be neat.

Why stop at Finishers? We can replace the whole Quickmelee with Gun Stances! Combos would consist of basic (EEE) pause (EEpauseE) and hold (EEholdE) and feature different special shots.

Examples:
Sniper

Spoiler

EEE = plays like the basic Scythe combo, but hits with the butt of the gun.

EEholdE = hit>hit>player takes a pose a mix of slide and crouch and fires a high penetration shot that deals 300% damage and gains 3.0 punch trough

EEpauseE=hit>hit>player fires a bullet into the ceiling/ground and this bullet ricochets off walls and gains 1.0 punch trough to pierce trough enemies.

Opticor:

Spoiler

EEE= smack>smack>smack

EEpauseE= smack>smack>adopts pose similar to the sniper hold, but fires an instantly charged shot

EEholdE= smack>smack>plants the opticor in the ground then fires an instantly charged shot that releases a radial blast

Neat, yes. But animations are done with life peoples wearing special suit, even to create like 30 categories of such animations would take months of work. & hell there is lot more meanigless things that DE is not adressing for ages.

What i am saying that this is too big of a step, if game would be nearly bugless, new patches would not break old things (two steps forward one backwards), then and only then they maybe could take on such project.

23 hours ago, I3jionaa said:

Neat, yes. But animations are done with life peoples wearing special suit, even to create like 30 categories of such animations would take months of work. & hell there is lot more meanigless things that DE is not adressing for ages.

What i am saying that this is too big of a step, if game would be nearly bugless, new patches would not break old things (two steps forward one backwards), then and only then they maybe could take on such project.

Good point - the animations would have to be created, and that's a big step. There are definitely more important things to address. Perhaps this will be something for the far future.

• 1 month later...

Not sure how I missed this topic, but Stealth Finishers with Guns and no melee equipped are already in the game.

The damage is terrible

The animations are mostly unique

The hit-box detection to activate is very small

Example from Shotgun only Sortie: (Melee that was slotted was Lacera and that is not a Blade'n'whip Finisher animation)

Yes that is Taxon welding a Deconstructor Prime.

Had to sell all my Sentinel weapons and craft 3 Taxons to get Randomizer to finally pair the 2.

Worth-it

Edited by (PS4)MrNishi

This would definitely look cool, but could also be too clunky to use. Maybe if we needed to hold an additional button to perform a finisher this could work well. Same with melee finishers.

Edited by Ksaero