Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Placing in the top percentile of Annihilation should count as a win

Heckzu

Currently, to win an Annihilation match you must finish the match in 1st place. 

Annihilation can have up to 8 players. If everyone is at an equal skill level, then the odds of a player winning is about 12.5% (1/8) (2 or more players ending up 1st place simultaneously is rare).

In Team Annihilation and Lunaro, each team has roughly 49% (1275/2600) chance to win or  to lose and 2% (50/2600) chance to draw.

Proof:

Spoiler

The possible scores per team in Team Annihilation and Lunaro are 0~50 points. This means that there are 51 possible scores for either team.

Thus there are a total of (51 * 51) - 1 = 2600  combinations of scores, with the -1 coming from the fact that both teams can't tie at 50 points each.

To win, your team must have more points than the other. That means that if your team has 50 points, the enemy team can have 0~49 points, or 50 possible scores. If your team has 49 points, the enemy team can have 0~48 points, or 49 possible scores. The summation of all possible winning combinations is 1275 different combinations.

The same calculations are applied to losing.

To tie, both teams must have the same score. A tie can be achieved with both teams having 0~49 points, or in 50 ways.

In Cephalon Capture, each team has a 43% (15/36) chance to win or to lose and a 14% (5/35) chance to draw.

Proof:

Spoiler

The possible scores per team in Cephalon Capture are 0~5 points. This means that there are 6 possible scores for either team.

Thus there are a total of (6 * 6) - 1 = 35  combinations of scores, with the -1 coming from the fact that both teams can't tie at 5 points each.

To win, your team must have more points than the other. That means that if your team has 5 points, the enemy team can have 0~4 points, or 5 possible scores. If your team has 4 points, the enemy team can have 0~3 points, or 4 possible scores. The summation of all possible winning combinations is 15 different combinations.

The same calculations are applied to losing.

To tie, both teams must have the same score. A tie can be achieved with both teams having 0~4 points, or in 5 ways.

As you can see, there's a huge difference in the chance to win between Annihilation and the team based game modes. The weekly challenges require 6 wins, but because of how statistically hard it is to win in Annihilation, it is unfeasible for most players to acquire 6 wins in Annihilation alone. For that reason, I am suggesting that the top X players at the end of a match should receive a victory, with X depending on the number of players in the match, e.g.:

2~4 players- only 1st place counts as a victory

5~6 players- top 2 counts as a victory

7~8 players- top 3 counts as a victory

P.S.- I will not calculate the odds of multiple people scoring 1st place in Annihilation because there are over (25^8) = 152587890625 combinations of scores in Annihilation

Edited by Heckzu

2 hours ago, Heckzu said:

The weekly challenges require 6 wins, but because of how statistically hard it is to win in Annihilation, it is unfeasible for most players to acquire 6 wins in Annihilation alone. For that reason, I am suggesting that the top X players at the end of a match should receive a victory, with X depending on the number of players in the match

Sort of like the point reward brackets (all 2 of them) from the holiday events. Seems like a fair idea to me.

Spoiler

However, I suspect someone will come along and disapprove of the idea. I just have that feeling.

No opposition - it also helps to keep the rest of the lobby engaged in the fight if a single player happens to be dominating the match.

Just need to find a solution to that idiotic 'if everyone ties for second place, we all win so let's each get one oro and then afk-bot the rest of the match!' phenomenon that was encountered during recent events. Nothing is more of a turnoff than seeing an exploit lobby, both from new players and regulars alike.

2 minutes ago, Pythadragon said:

No opposition - it also helps to keep the rest of the lobby engaged in the fight if a single player happens to be dominating the match.

Just need to find a solution to that idiotic 'if everyone ties for second place, we all win so let's each get one oro and then afk-bot the rest of the match!' phenomenon that was encountered during recent events. Nothing is more of a turnoff than seeing an exploit lobby, both from new players and regulars alike.

The top rank could use all 3  tracked stats (oro, kills, death) to calculate who is #1 etc.

Like, Kills and Oro grant 1 point, Death substracts 1 point. So a player with O/K/D of 10/5/4 would have a score of 11, while a player with 8/12/3 would have a score of 17, so despite the first having more oro, the second would be on top.

What do you think?

3 minutes ago, Nazrethim said:

The top rank could use all 3  tracked stats (oro, kills, death) to calculate who is #1 etc.

Like, Kills and Oro grant 1 point, Death substracts 1 point. So a player with O/K/D of 10/5/4 would have a score of 11, while a player with 8/12/3 would have a score of 17, so despite the first having more oro, the second would be on top.

What do you think?

Too complicated and not easy enough to visualize. If it were up to me, I'd simply tie break based on 'whoever achieved their oro count first.'

PS. The game tracks information down to one-thousandth of a second.

22 hours ago, Pythadragon said:

Agreed – though this makes me wonder: what happens if everyone deliberately ties for first place in Annihilation right now?

Also, I think there's something to be said about player feedback as well as points earned: I've always felt Annihilation would be improved if the feedback at the end of the match had some middle-ground between: "You came in first, great job!" and "You didn't come first, you are a failing failure who has failed!" If Teshin had some lines telling people in the upper 50% of the scoreboard that they did alright, it'd mean a lot – it seems a shame to only give a pat on the back to one out of a possible 8 players at the end of a match.

21 minutes ago, (Xbox One)Aeries Vendetta said:

I disagree with this. If you want to win......earn it. Practice.  I dont feel like giving up my top spot on the podium because others don't want to practice. 

How is being better than 86% of the other players in the match not deserving of a win?

Your reason against my proposition doesn't even correlate; how does having  multiple people obtaining a win "give up your top spot" if you're still in 1st place if you finish the match in 1st place? In addition, scoring better than 86% or 71% of the other players in the match is by no means a free win. Who are you to say that those who don't reach 1st place are just players too lazy to practice?

My proposition is to bring the chance of winning in Annihilation more in line with the team based game modes, which would not affect you if implemented.

4 hours ago, Heckzu said:

How is being better than 86% of the other players in the match not deserving of a win?

Your reason against my proposition doesn't even correlate; how does having  multiple people obtaining a win "give up your top spot" if you're still in 1st place if you finish the match in 1st place? In addition, scoring better than 86% or 71% of the other players in the match is by no means a free win. Who are you to say that those who don't reach 1st place are just players too lazy to practice?

My proposition is to bring the chance of winning in Annihilation more in line with the team based game modes, which would not affect you if implemented.

I called it. I said a week ago one of these people would come along and be against your idea.