The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fantastic Raptors and How to Beat Them (semicit.)

(PSN)Kyerrid

Question

Hi guys,

I reached the moment every new player fear, the fight with the raptors :(

It's the first boss I feel is unbeatable in solo (and It's cool) but on the other hand I feel too much weak even if I have Warframe (frost) and weapons (Gorgon and Kraken) at level 30 fully equipped with leveled mods. I manage to destroy a first raptor but only consuming every ammo and with some death.

Although the first thing to do is to try it with a full team, what I could do to maximize my effectivness against this boss?

Is there some strategy to adopt on the battlefield? (cover behind something in particular or find a way to use less ammo as possible)

Thanks!

23 answers to this question

Nova. 200% str. High dmg Tigris/Sancti Tigris/Tigris prime.

1. Molecular prime to slow/increase dealt damage
2. Anti-matter drop. Unload 2 shots/1 catridge
3. Rinse and repeat for each raptor

Cons, survivability is an issue if there are plenty of surrounding mobs. that are high level and don't hold back punches.

Boss is not that hard, done only sortie versions wher it is lvl 100ish so dunno bout normal , just MR 23 things

1. Try Wukong with big energy pull rage mod and keep defy up, should make you invincible.

2. Mag , use magnetize and just shoot bubble raptors own rockets should not be able to pass bubble, lasers still pass it tho. ( Personal favorite basicaly can solo Sortie version of boss)

3. Limbo, rift walk and wait for phase when it is not shooting then go ahead and kill it.

4. Any Melee with naramon shadow step, ther are enough enemy to keep you invisible constantly.

5. As for team play get one player with limbo helps alot , he gonna keep resurecting if needed.

some way to distract their gunfire from you, or to CC them to take less gunfire, is recommended.

outside of specific Abilities, Corrosive Status will help a lot, to allow you to deal Damage to the Enemies. provided your Mods are up to the task of dealing Damage.
Elementals are important here - one of the many things the game won't teach the Player about in more than a passing glance, but they're the crucial fundamentals of everything.

Scanning is saved whether you complete a Mission or not, so this can be used to learn more about your Enemy! Scan them to find out what Health Types they have, and then apply Elemental combinations that the Enemy is weak to. for Enemies that have Armor, the recommendation would be a primary set of Elementals that have a bonus to the Armor/Health of an Enemy, and a secondary for either just more Damage or something that has a bonus to the Shields of an Enemy.

21 minutes ago, faiznorizan said:

Nova.

i don't think spending Plat is a particularly good recommendation for a Player to complete a Mission.
(Raptor is the Boss Mission that awards Nova Parts)

Just now, faiznorizan said:

it's for the anti-matter drop damage increase

AMD does not depend on power strength, it is only influenced by efficiency, even if the UI tells you otherwise.

And yes, people, you are forgetting, that said Raptor drops Nova parts and Nova Prime is vaulted. So how do you propose OP should get her?

To OP, if you can farm Mag, you could try using her on Raptor, because her magnetize attracts some of his bullets. Alternatively, you could try with Frost or Rhino, because those can take a punch and Rhino can boost your damage to kill the raptors faster. And if nothing helps, don't hesitate to go public for this one mission. 

Edit: Also, you could try to get yourself stronger weapons or rank up your mods more. You could take a look at Soma, Dread, Hek or Boltor, those are pretty good beginner weapons. Can I ask what mods you have/use (and at what rank) for Kraken/Gorgon?

Edited by bluepheonix13

16 minutes ago, bluepheonix13 said:

AMD does not depend on power strength, it is only influenced by efficiency, even if the UI tells you otherwise.

And yes, people, you are forgetting, that said Raptor drops Nova parts and Nova Prime is vaulted. So how do you propose OP should get her?

To OP, if you can farm Mag, you could try using her on Raptor, because her magnetize attracts some of his bullets. Alternatively, you could try with Frost or Rhino, because those can take a punch and Rhino can boost your damage to kill the raptors faster. And if nothing helps, don't hesitate to go public for this one mission. 

Edit: Also, you could try to get yourself stronger weapons or rank up your mods more. You could take a look at Soma, Dread, Hek or Boltor, those are pretty good beginner weapons. Can I ask what mods you have/use (and at what rank) for Kraken/Gorgon?

I could try the Boltor, I find It's overall better than Gorgon.

Anyway,

on Gorgon I have :

Rupture rank 4

Serration rank 6

Stormbringer rank 3 (I put it in order to try to do more damage to raptors)

Fast Hands rank 1

while on the Kraken (which I love) :

Concussion Rounds rank 4

Hornet Strike rank 5

Quick Draw rank 2

Ice Storm rank 3

I use all 30 mod points on both weapons :(

Just now, (PS4)Kyerrid said:

Anyway,

on Gorgon I have :

Rupture rank 4

Serration rank 6

Fast Hands rank 1

Do you have Hellfire? If yes, then I'd suggest you exchange Rupture with Hellfire to get Radiation damage and because Rupture is not that strong. Alternatively, you could boost Fire Rate and/or Multishot if you have Split Chamber or Speed Trigger.

Just now, (PS4)Kyerrid said:

Concussion Rounds rank 4

Hornet Strike rank 5

Quick Draw rank 2

Ice Storm rank 3

Same here with Concussion Rounds, it is not that strong due to the way physical mods work in warframe. Maybe exchange it for Electrical damage to get Magnetic, so you can then strip the Raptors of their shields with the Kraken and after that switch to Gorgon/Boltor with Radiation to kill it off. And once you have Barrel Diffusion and Lethal Torrent, definitely equip them, because they are a must for (almost) every secondary.

Yes, these guys are a royal pain.  And yes, I think they are a bit over-powered for where they are in the star chart.  I totally failed on them the first few times I tried them.  When I did finally get past them I got lucky and got into group that could take them down in just a few shots.  A little while ago I came back to farm them for Nova and started paying attention to the others in my group.  Several times I've gotten into group where someone has the Synoid Simulor and this weapon just seems to wreck them (but let's be honest, that's a Syndicate weapon and most players working through the star chart won't have access to it at this point in the game).

While farming them I was MR10, playing mostly Frost (a rather tanky frame so I could take some hits).  I'd gotten into a few groups with MR 6-10 buds and we'd had some fun fights - won a few and lost a few (lost as in we've run out of ammo and had to abort).  I was using a Vulkar that did about 1,200 magnetic damage / shot with a 50% critical chance and a 4x critical multiplier.  And even with that it takes me 6 or 8 shots and damage from all the others as well to bring each one down.  And with this setup the mission stats at the end had me doing over 50% of the damage  (and I NEVER do the majority of the damage).

Some other thoughts:

- Try to kill them close to the reactors (not too hard for the first 2, but when you get to the last one you don't want to have to carry the reactor all the way across the room)

- Have someone wait under him when he's about to go down and quickly grab the reactor to get it into the chute.

- You can leave the room and scrounge the level for more ammo (done that a few times)

So in short, get a hard hitting weapon and some friends.  

Hit me up if you want, I might be online later tonight EST.  

Good luck, Tenno.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Kyerrid said:

Anyway,

on Gorgon I have :

Rupture rank 4

Serration rank 6

Fast Hands rank 1

Concussion Rounds rank 4

Hornet Strike rank 5

Quick Draw rank 2

Ice Storm rank 3

I hate to tell you this, but your weapons are the problem.  The Gorgon is bad and the Kraken is in the running for worst weapon in the game.  Neither one is worth investing in.

Newer players should use shotguns.  Shotguns are easier and cheaper to modify.  Most rifles in the game need to be formaed repeatedly to be worth using.  The previous poster mentioned the Hek.  It is one of the best boss killing weapons available with no forma.  

You are at the point in the game where you can start investing is a weapon.  Get a Hek and use an Orokin Catalyst on it (sometimes called a potato).  This will double your mod points from 30 to 60.  

Start leveling up Hell's Chamber for multishot.  Multishot produces extra bullets or pellets when you fire and is mandatory on nearly every weapon build, rfiles and pistols too.  Multishot mods are expensive in terms of mod points, but the Hek has a special mod from Steel Meridian called Scattered Justice which gives you more multishot for only 7 points.  Get ahold of that mod if you can.

1 hour ago, bluepheonix13 said:

Do you have Hellfire? If yes, then I'd suggest you exchange Rupture with Hellfire to get Radiation damage and because Rupture is not that strong. Alternatively, you could boost Fire Rate and/or Multishot if you have Split Chamber or Speed Trigger.

Same here with Concussion Rounds, it is not that strong due to the way physical mods work in warframe. Maybe exchange it for Electrical damage to get Magnetic, so you can then strip the Raptors of their shields with the Kraken and after that switch to Gorgon/Boltor with Radiation to kill it off. And once you have Barrel Diffusion and Lethal Torrent, definitely equip them, because they are a must for (almost) every secondary.

Yes I have!

As a general rule when I start using a new weapon I initially see what is its dominant damage and use the related mod (that's the why for Rupture and Concussion Rounds).

So this kind of rule doesn't worth the effort? Is always better build elemental damage?

Anyway, magnetic damage for shield and radiation damage for armor sounds a great advice to me, I'll definetely try! Thanks!

1 hour ago, (PS4)HammerOfTheMist said:

Yes, these guys are a royal pain.  And yes, I think they are a bit over-powered for where they are in the star chart.  I totally failed on them the first few times I tried them.  When I did finally get past them I got lucky and got into group that could take them down in just a few shots.  A little while ago I came back to farm them for Nova and started paying attention to the others in my group.  Several times I've gotten into group where someone has the Synoid Simulor and this weapon just seems to wreck them (but let's be honest, that's a Syndicate weapon and most players working through the star chart won't have access to it at this point in the game).

While farming them I was MR10, playing mostly Frost (a rather tanky frame so I could take some hits).  I'd gotten into a few groups with MR 6-10 buds and we'd had some fun fights - won a few and lost a few (lost as in we've run out of ammo and had to abort).  I was using a Vulkar that did about 1,200 magnetic damage / shot with a 50% critical chance and a 4x critical multiplier.  And even with that it takes me 6 or 8 shots and damage from all the others as well to bring each one down.  And with this setup the mission stats at the end had me doing over 50% of the damage  (and I NEVER do the majority of the damage).

Some other thoughts:

- Try to kill them close to the reactors (not too hard for the first 2, but when you get to the last one you don't want to have to carry the reactor all the way across the room)

- Have someone wait under him when he's about to go down and quickly grab the reactor to get it into the chute.

- You can leave the room and scrounge the level for more ammo (done that a few times)

So in short, get a hard hitting weapon and some friends.  

Hit me up if you want, I might be online later tonight EST.  

Good luck, Tenno.

Nice to see someone who experienced this pain :D

I am about to build Vulkar, could be a nice try, thanks!

27 minutes ago, (Xbox One)ThermalStone said:

I hate to tell you this, but your weapons are the problem.  The Gorgon is bad and the Kraken is in the running for worst weapon in the game.  Neither one is worth investing in.

Newer players should use shotguns.  Shotguns are easier and cheaper to modify.  Most rifles in the game need to be formaed repeatedly to be worth using.  The previous poster mentioned the Hek.  It is one of the best boss killing weapons available with no forma.  

You are at the point in the game where you can start investing is a weapon.  Get a Hek and use an Orokin Catalyst on it (sometimes called a potato).  This will double your mod points from 30 to 60.  

Start leveling up Hell's Chamber for multishot.  Multishot produces extra bullets or pellets when you fire and is mandatory on nearly every weapon build, rfiles and pistols too.  Multishot mods are expensive in terms of mod points, but the Hek has a special mod from Steel Meridian called Scattered Justice which gives you more multishot for only 7 points.  Get ahold of that mod if you can.

Thanks for the sincere advice, I am following Steel Meridian and Red Veil associations so It's a matter of time I can reach the rank in which I can take the shotgun and the mod!

6 minutes ago, (PS4)Kyerrid said:

As a general rule when I start using a new weapon I initially see what is its dominant damage and use the related mod (that's the why for Rupture and Concussion Rounds).

So this kind of rule doesn't worth the effort? Is always better build elemental damage?

The thing is, Warframe calculates physical and elemental damage mods differently, let's compare +90% Slash and +90% Heat mods on a fictional weapon with 60 Slash, 20 Impact and 20 Puncture. What elemental mods do is taking the total base damage (in this case 100) and adding X% of that as elemental damage, so it would give you 90 Heat damage in this example. On the other hand, physical mods only take their respective base damage (in this case 60 Slash) and add X% of that, so it would only give you 54 extra Slash damage.

This is the reason why 30,60 and 90% Impact/Puncture/Slash mods are generally worse than elemental mods, only exception being weapons that do all their damage in a single damage type (Sonicor for example only does Impact). There are 120% physical mods though, these are worth it on weapons that deal 75% or more of their total damage in the respective physical type (Galatine for example deals 95% of its damage in slash, so the 120% Slash mod is better than the 90% elemental mods and even the 90% Slash mod is only a little worse than elementals).

Hope I didn't scare you away with all these numbers, but as a general rule you should use elemental mods instead of physical if you don't have the 120% mods and those are only good on weapons which deal a lot in the respective physical damage type.

15 minutes ago, bluepheonix13 said:

The thing is, Warframe calculates physical and elemental damage mods differently, let's compare +90% Slash and +90% Heat mods on a fictional weapon with 60 Slash, 20 Impact and 20 Puncture. What elemental mods do is taking the total base damage (in this case 100) and adding X% of that as elemental damage, so it would give you 90 Heat damage in this example. On the other hand, physical mods only take their respective base damage (in this case 60 Slash) and add X% of that, so it would only give you 54 extra Slash damage.

This is the reason why 30,60 and 90% Impact/Puncture/Slash mods are generally worse than elemental mods, only exception being weapons that do all their damage in a single damage type (Sonicor for example only does Impact). There are 120% physical mods though, these are worth it on weapons that deal 75% or more of their total damage in the respective physical type (Galatine for example deals 95% of its damage in slash, so the 120% Slash mod is better than the 90% elemental mods and even the 90% Slash mod is only a little worse than elementals).

Hope I didn't scare you away with all these numbers, but as a general rule you should use elemental mods instead of physical if you don't have the 120% mods and those are only good on weapons which deal a lot in the respective physical damage type.

No scare, You were very clear! Thank you!

Just this new way to build my weapons will improve my overall strength in-game ;)

For new players I think the best weapons are hek and dread (with catalyst)

And recommend using Mag for raptor (with duration)

other tips

Play spy and try to get all Data Vaults (to get good mod like Frigid Blast /Hell's Chamber / Rime Rounds / Vicious Frost)

Go to void and destroy Storage Container on secret room for good mods like vital sense,Streamline( if you haven't unlocked the void, you can do to marro's ayatan mission)

Hek (no forma) point blank, hell's chamber ,  contagius spread, charged shell  ,Chilling Reload ,Accelerated Blast

Chilling Reload ,Accelerated Blast are nigtmare mod (unlock all early planet node and you can play it)

Dread (best with 3 forma) Serration, split chamber, point strike, vital sense, speed trigger , infected clip, stormbringer, hammer shot

and play derelict with dragon key for many good mod

Edited by GmG-ITA

54 minutes ago, GmG-ITA said:

For new players I think the best weapons are hek and dread (with catalyst)

And recommend using Mag for raptor (with duration)

other tips

Play spy and try to get all Data Vaults (to get good mod like Frigid Blast /Hell's Chamber / Rime Rounds / Vicious Frost)

Go to void and destroy Storage Container on secret room for good mods like vital sense,Streamline( if you haven't unlocked the void, you can do to marro's ayatan mission)

Hek (no forma) point blank, hell's chamber ,  contagius spread, charged shell  ,Chilling Reload ,Accelerated Blast

Chilling Reload ,Accelerated Blast are nigtmare mod (unlock all early planet node and you can play it)

Dread (best with 3 forma) Serration, split chamber, point strike, vital sense, speed trigger , infected clip, stormbringer, hammer shot

and play derelict with dragon key for many good mod

I reguarly play Nightmare missions in which I found good mods and I can access the void through Phobos (and maybe Europa, I don't remember).

I always read about these "derelicts" but pheraps I didn't see the related explanation quest yet :(

20 minutes ago, (PS4)Kyerrid said:

I always read about these "derelicts" but pheraps I didn't see the related explanation quest yet :(

The Orokin Derelict key blueprints can be purchased from the market.  The blueprints are reusable.  You'll need a key to access the missions.

The missions there (with the exception of defense) will have a hidden vault that can be opened by the use of a dragon key (blueprints for those are found in the orokin lab of a clan dojo that has researched them).  There are 4 different dragon keys that have different negative affects on the player who carries the key but the door can always be opened, once found, by one of those keys.  It's recommended that you squad up for these missions and ensure that each person in the team has a different dragon key equipped to ensure that once the vault is found, the team will be able to open it.  Once the vault is opened, finish the mission and extract and you'll be rewarded with a corrupted mod.  Corrupted mods are powerful mods that can help to maximize builds (both weapon and frame builds).

13 minutes ago, (Xbox One)R3d P01nt said:

The Orokin Derelict key blueprints can be purchased from the market.  The blueprints are reusable.  You'll need a key to access the missions.

The missions there (with the exception of defense) will have a hidden vault that can be opened by the use of a dragon key (blueprints for those are found in the orokin lab of a clan dojo that has researched them).  There are 4 different dragon keys that have different negative affects on the player who carries the key but the door can always be opened, once found, by one of those keys.  It's recommended that you squad up for these missions and ensure that each person in the team has a different dragon key equipped to ensure that once the vault is found, the team will be able to open it.  Once the vault is opened, finish the mission and extract and you'll be rewarded with a corrupted mod.  Corrupted mods are powerful mods that can help to maximize builds (both weapon and frame builds).

Sounds cool, I am building my dojo for my clan and I will try these mission ^^

Raptor is a pushover, even in Sortie assassinations, as long as you know how to kill him. Doing it solo is not much harder. Kraken won't do much due to it's DPS, and Gorgon would need great mods. Focused Firepower and heavy weaponry that has relatively fast if instant flight speed, such as Tigris, Sybaris, Opticor, and the like are easy candidates, but just about everything is viable (Exception of Basic Weaponry, save Braton and Boar). If you're able to time it right, Launchers such as Penta and Tonkor evenwork.

Howerever, I just EV Trin them to death, as my Tigris Prime just One Shots them with my build :/

Just make sure you have decent mods and a general understanding on how to mod your specific frames and weaponry and you should be A-OK.

let's clean up some of this help...

what Weapon you use won't make much of any difference without any Mods. every Weapon performs so-so at best without Mods.
you can aspire to some Weapons that may be more practical to use for this situation (ones that are more Accurate/capable at longer distances), but either way the Mods will determine the outcome.

don't use Corrosive or Fire Damage vs Raptor.... that's talk of Players that got their Overpowered Stats too early and never learned how to do things. Corrosive and/or Fire Damage would actually be a terrible choice for this Mission.
Ice Damage would be... okay but not very good either.
Magnetic would be okay as long as you only shoot the Shields with that Weapon - once Shields break or are low, definitely switch Weapons.
still recommend you Scan any and all tough Enemies in the game for yourself, so you can see right in front of you what these Enemies are weak to, as well as what they are strong to.

i don't actually recommend that you use Mag. without Duration increases, Mag will not be helpful for you. because if you cannot Kill each Raptor within the time of one cast of Magnetize (which will be the primary reason Mag will be recommended), you will be stuck up a creek without a paddle since you won't have complete sets of highly upgraded Mods.
this isn't that unlikely either, without having lots of Weapon Mods highly upgraded and the Mod Slots filled.

21 hours ago, (PS4)Kyerrid said:

Is always better build elemental damage?

as a general rule, yes. Physical Mods are almost never useful for Damage, save for hyperniche strategies with Squads. generally used strictly for changing weighting of Status Effects.
even 120% Physical Mods are only slightly useful if your Weapon is heavily] weighted in that Physical Damage Type AND the Enemy is weak to that Damage Type. if both are not true, then it's a Damage downgrade to use them vs Elementals.

don't let people mislead you and tell you otherwise. they're wrong. fullstop.