Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Framerate Drops (PS4)

(PSN)EpicediumUK

After recent updates the frame rate on a standard PS4 can drop dramatically.

It's not just warframe ability, enemy, weapon combinations  - there are certain rooms / areas in tilesets that cause dramatic or noticeable frame rate drops:

- Europa, Baal mobile defence. the Corpus room with multiple 'waterfalls' in the center near a defence terminal

- Sedna, Kappa / Grineer Galleon tileset, 6 pillar room where Kuria 3-1 located

- Ceres, Kiste / Grineer Shipyard, outside areas with open sky / precipiation effects

- Neptune, Salicia Archwing mobile defence has a weird 'frame skip' / 'stutter' framerate issue when moving slowly through titleset and not using speed boost

- Uranus or Earth Mariana, Grineer Sealab tileset, rooms with raised circular platform with transparent middle like the ones found when hunting Kuria 5-4 

the above are examples, there are other rooms / areas in tilesets with similar issues

Edited by (PS4)EpicediumUK
Added examples

• 2 weeks later...

Yep I can confirm this. Over the time the warframe ps4 performance has suffered a bit. Since the graphics improved, there are so many effects that have been added into the game.

The normal ps4 cant handle warframe especially when the players do some fissure missions. The framerate drops are so bad that it feels like I am looking at a picture slide show (no joke). The controls get unresponsive at that point and it is difficult to perform combos since combos depend on timing.

I played warframe on ps4 and on ps4 pro with boost mode enabled. It is much better on pro but as soon as I play in a 4 man squad, I can say bye bye to 45-55 fps gameplay. When there are players and many effects (like fissure, miragulor, nidus etc..) the fps just barely stays at 30.

However, as soon as I play alone, it is really fluent.

Please Dev team you need to bring out a performance patch for the ps4 and we definitely need an fps on/off option so that we can see how much fps we got.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just started to play this game on a PS4 Pro and I noticed some serious fps drop in the game. When I play solo, the game runs very smooth, it's like 60fps locked (the impression), but when I play it with other people (full team), the framedrop is big. It's like game drop from 60 to 20fps (again, the impression).

Edited by (PS4)Jhonrock

• 2 weeks later...

I'm know it's been brought up many times but the frame rate is making the game unplayable in a team setting. I hover around 10-15 fps in every four player game I go into. Just came back after a few months and was looking forward to sorties and riven mods but sorties are terrible. How are we supposed to do endless missions or sorties if we can't even use our abilities or see anything because of the frame rate? 

Edited by (PS4)Dirtymurph

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still framerate issues in the areas highlighted ( first post, February 28th ) and subsequent posts.

Could it be PS4 CPU related? Warframe PC running on a test 'potato' PC with similar specifications to PS4 shows framerate drops in the same areas / same conditions when the PC's CPU is underclocked. 

Having invested so much time in PS4 version of Warframe I'm reluctant to move to PC, no migration option is available. 

PS4 Pro may be an option but even then players are stating FPS issues.

Can anything be done? Any current or future options under in game settings available to improve PS4 version framerate?

clarification

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2017 at 11:07 AM, (PS4)EpicediumUK said:

What information can we provide to assist in tracking down and resolving this issue on PS4?

Sorry for the delay. I can confirm that we are currently in the process of reviewing the tiles mentioned in the OP to find any potential areas for improvement. We are also using this information to try to find a pattern in the hopes of improving overall performance on PlayStation 4. The information you have provided is greatly appreciated, and if there are any specific rooms that seem to be causing you more trouble than others then please feel free to mention them.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Will this be patched in September?

I'm very new to Warframe, but unless the bad performance is fixed (very bad in 4 man coop teams on PS4 Pro) I won't put more time into the game.
Many say Warframe is better than Destiny. Regarding performance, I can't agree. I rather pay 60$ one time, and never have any issues, than start playing a F2P which has bad support and high prices. Time is precious! 

Edited by (PS4)NestroGER

• 3 weeks later...

haven't been playing warframe much lately but of the times i've played the earth tileset after the graphical update does seem to suffer from a dps drop more than it use to.

previously the ps4 fan would spin up pretty loudly but without a noticeable fps drop when in an area with water (earth, void, uranus) or a mission where there is a lot of effects going on like fissures.  after the update the earth tileset has suffered from more noticeable fps drop  especially in watery areas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 02/10/2017 at 10:56 AM, (PS4)xI_Orca_Ix said:

Anything new info so far on the bad performance? Also whats with the Ps4 Pro Patch they talked about in late 2016?

The PC version now has a dynamic resolution scaling option ( auto, off, on, width ) and some CPU threading optimisations.

PS4 current build doesn't have those optimisations yet so performance is pretty bad and getting worse, even solo on some Earth remaster tilesets; not a good first impression for new players.

Hopefully the optimisations mentioned will address performance issues.

I own both, PS4 and XBOX One S. Normally I prefer PS4 for most Games because most of my friends are on PSN. So I installed Warframe on PS4 first. After playing the first missions I was a little bit disappointed because of the FPS Drops. It's far from beeing unplayable, but it's something that disturbs the gaming experience for me. Maybe many casual players do not even notice it -- Who knows.  So  i decided to try the XBOX One Version. And surprise, surprise, it runs absolutely smooth.

If you compare XBOX and PS4 ( i switched my TV back and forth ), it looks like the XBOX One runs a slightly lower resolution as the PS4 version? But it still looks great and the difference is nearly not visible. It's even possible to expand the Field of View on XBOX ONE S without noticeable FPS Drops. I am on 70 now istead of 65.

On 10/24/2017 at 11:25 AM, (Xbox One)RealSpawny said:

I own both, PS4 and XBOX One S. Normally I prefer PS4 for most Games because most of my friends are on PSN. So I installed Warframe on PS4 first. After playing the first missions I was a little bit disappointed because of the FPS Drops. It's far from beeing unplayable, but it's something that disturbs the gaming experience for me. Maybe many casual players do not even notice it -- Who knows.  So  i decided to try the XBOX One Version. And surprise, surprise, it runs absolutely smooth.

If you compare XBOX and PS4 ( i switched my TV back and forth ), it looks like the XBOX One runs a slightly lower resolution as the PS4 version? But it still looks great and the difference is nearly not visible. It's even possible to expand the Field of View on XBOX ONE S without noticeable FPS Drops. I am on 70 now istead of 65.

Since both the PS4 and Xbox One have very very similar AMD CPU and GPU setups, id personally guess its a memory issue, although the One S might have slightly higher memory and cpu core clock since its an upgrade to the regular xbox one

31 minutes ago, (PS4)Orion-TheHunter- said:

I'm pretty sure I heard there's a fix for this coming with the PoE release. I heard it on one of their Twitch streams. Look for the friday right after the release of PoE on PC. They mentioned they found a bug on consoles that they're fixing that would improve performance. I'm pretty sure I heard something like that.

Yes, POE update and the smaller hotfixes and updates after had a very nice optimization bump to the game, for PC players and id assume console will get the same benefits, as well the devs have said there trying to get POE to consoles sometime in November

Edited by Tokens210

On 22.10.2017 at 12:03 PM, (PS4)EpicediumUK said:

The PC version now has a dynamic resolution scaling option ( auto, off, on, width ) and some CPU threading optimisations.

PS4 current build doesn't have those optimisations yet so performance is pretty bad and getting worse, even solo on some Earth remaster tilesets; not a good first impression for new players.

Hopefully the optimisations mentioned will address performance issues.

Dynamic Resolution could really help out the console performance. Hope they will bring it in some form to consoles.

Honestly, I'm OK with the fps drops.  I used to play on a crappy PC in 2013, so I'm used to it I guess.  What I don't like is that DPS of automatic and high RoF weapons is still effected by fps.  When my fps drops, my RoF on my soma drops significantly, and the damage numbers that pop up aren't any higher to compensate for a 50% loss in bullets per second...

Am 6.11.2017 um 19:11 schrieb InDaFace:

Is there an update on this for POE?  If the frame rate drops are pretty bad now, I can just imagine an open area like POE being worse.  

They added a dynamic resolution scaler with the last update. I set it to automatic and the framerate looks improved so far.

On 06/11/2017 at 6:11 PM, InDaFace said:

Is there an update on this for POE?  If the frame rate drops are pretty bad now, I can just imagine an open area like POE being worse.  

Much improved, enable Auto or set to ~85% under Options > Display > Dynamic Resolution