Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A question and an announcement to everyone in the RP community, please read to prevent possible confusion

KuraioNokami

Hello, everyone. I'm Kuraio, currently perhaps the most hated person within this community. As you most likely know, my RP's are in a league of their own when it comes to craziness, and most of you most likely hate me for making RP's that don't fit the norm. For all of you that hate me and my RP's, good news! I'm thinking of quitting RP for good. Between Rakawan and Bowiespoon's RP's, serious RP's are making a comeback, and, well... I feel alienated. Due to my style of RP, I can't make a serious AND lore-friendly OC, and due to my style of RP-writing nobody will join my RP's. I have always lived by the mindset that people that cannot positively contribute to the world or the community should "cease to exist", so to speak, and seeing as I feel alienated, useless and hated, I feel I should take my leave here. Being just plain inferior to others is no fun anyway. However, before I do something entirely stupid, I feel I should probably ask the others within this absolutely amazing community for help. And no, that wasn't sarcasm. Despite how I may feel, the community is not at fault. But enough of my rambling, I'll get to the point.

I was -before deciding I'm useless- working on an RP known only as "Project: Gain Ground". If I were to post the whole concept here in the forums, would you all be willing to help me perfect the RP and make it the best it could ever be?

And, whilst you're here anyway, would you mind telling me your opinions? Do you hate me? Dislike me? Want me to leave? If not, what reasons do you have for not joining my RP's and what can I do to improve myself and my RP's?

I'd appreciate any replies you guys can give me, but don't be surprised if your arguement gets shot down. Unless your answer is reasonable, I'll point out any flaws until we work them out and form a solid idea. If nobody can be bothered to help out, then I have my answer and I will leave these forums, and as such my lifeline, behind and never return.

Honestly, I'm not that all that up to date with what role-plays you started but I decided for the sake of curiousity, I looked them over and there's two things that bothers me and believe me when I say this is constructive criticism.

One of them is single line posting. This is often seen as lazy, unimaginative and not giving a person a lot to work with, a lot of people are guilty of this but most understand that person's not skilled in forum role-play but when you're a DM, you're expected to provide detail and life into the story of your heroes, not give a person one sentence to figure out what in the Cigarettes is going on.

Another is Out of Character in the In Character Pages. There is a reason you start with an OOC page and an IC page, some of your OOC stuff happens in the IC areas For example in your  Crossover roleplay, you had an OOC conversation in the IC page about...10 to 13 pages down, that's a bit...messy and kinda makes a cluster of information that's confusing and hard to process.

But what's what I've seen so far, 

Oh and also, you're NOT the most hated, If anything, you're the most unknown at the least. If anything, there's potential in your ideas but you need to find a better execution and perhaps improve a bit on your DMing skills, try joining another RP and look at how the DM acts.

Edited by Drakeardian

Just now, Drakeardian said:

Honestly, I'm not that all that up to date with what role-plays you started but I decided for the sake of curiousity, I looked them over and there's two things that bothers me and believe me when I say this is constructive criticism.

One of them is single line posting. This is often seen as lazy, unimaginative and not giving a person a lot to work with, a lot of people are guilty of this but most understand that person's not skilled in forum role-play but when you're a DM, you're expected to provide detail and life into the story of your heroes, not give a person one sentence to figure out what in the Cigarettes is going on.

Another is Out of Character in the In Character Pages. There is a reason you start with an OOC page and an IC page, some of your OOC stuff happens in the IC areas For example in your  Crossover roleplay, you had an OOC conversation in the IC page about...10 to 13 pages down, that's a bit...messy and kinda makes a cluster of information that's confusing and hard to process.

But what's what I've seen so far, 

Oh and also, you're NOT the most hated, If anything, you're the most unknown at the least. If anything, there's potential in your ideas but you need to find a better execution.

I see. As for the single line posting, I can understand that such a thing is disliked. However, 99% of my posts are made on my phone, and if I type for too long on that thing, or any thing for that matter, my hand ends up paralysed for hours. It took me about three days to write the original post here, the one you replied to! I either keep my posts short or end up unable to post at all... And I have no idea how to stop that from happening.

As for the OOC in IC posts... If I'm honest, that just... Happens. Most of the time we're so busy IC that we forget the OOC exists...

Still, I appreciate the feedback. Now excuse me whilst I try to un-paralyse my hand again.

5 minutes ago, KuraioNokami said:

I see. As for the single line posting, I can understand that such a thing is disliked. However, 99% of my posts are made on my phone, and if I type for too long on that thing, or any thing for that matter, my hand ends up paralysed for hours. It took me about three days to write the original post here, the one you replied to! I either keep my posts short or end up unable to post at all... And I have no idea how to stop that from happening.

As for the OOC in IC posts... If I'm honest, that just... Happens. Most of the time we're so busy IC that we forget the OOC exists...

Still, I appreciate the feedback. Now excuse me whilst I try to un-paralyse my hand again.

Two questions.

1. Why do you do most of your posts by phone?

2. If it took you three days to write up the OP on your phone, then how were you able to respond to Drake in 5 mins?

Just now, Spikey844 said:

Two questions.

1. Why do you do most of your posts by phone?

2. If it took you three days to write up the OP on your phone, then how were you able to respond to Drake in 5 mins?

1) Because when almost everyone I RP with is online, I'm in bed and about to go to sleep.

2) I'm on my PC right now, and can make longer posts on there because I have a special keyboard that at least slows how fast my hand ends up paralysed.

1 minute ago, KuraioNokami said:

I agree with Drake's opinions (including not really knowing you too much) and i'll add my own in light of this new information.

You post on phones, well-knowing that it seemingly hurts your hands? That's a little nonsensical, if i'm being honest. You really should get a keyboard or something similar that can plug into a phone, if you are really that attached to doing such.

On another note, considering you managed to type that post in a fairly fast speed makes me believe you can type pretty fast on that thing(thus making the 3-days to make the post seem a little absurd), or alternatively you do have a keyboard at the moment, which you should be using if using a touchscreen hurts your hands so bad. If that too causes pain, may i suggest seeing a doctor or alternatively simply not RPing?

You seem like a fairly nice fellow, and you've got some interesting ideas, although not well executed. But if such things legitimately cause you actual physical pain from doing them, I think it's common sense that you may just want to avoid them, if only for medical reasons.

Just now, K0ishiKomeiji said:

I agree with Drake's opinions (including not really knowing you too much) and i'll add my own in light of this new information.

You post on phones, well-knowing that it seemingly hurts your hands? That's a little nonsensical, if i'm being honest. You really should get a keyboard or something similar that can plug into a phone, if you are really that attached to doing such.

On another note, considering you managed to type that post in a fairly fast speed makes me believe you can type pretty fast on that thing(thus making the 3-days to make the post seem a little absurd), or alternatively you do have a keyboard at the moment, which you should be using if using a touchscreen hurts your hands so bad. If that too causes pain, may i suggest seeing a doctor or alternatively simply not RPing?

You seem like a fairly nice fellow, and you've got some interesting ideas, although not well executed. But if such things legitimately cause you actual physical pain from doing them, I think it's common sense that you may just want to avoid them, if only for medical reasons.

A keyboard whilst in bed is... Difficult.. to use. 

1) Because when almost everyone I RP with is online, I'm in bed and about to go to sleep.

2) I'm on my PC right now, and can make longer posts on there because I have a special keyboard that at least slows how fast my hand ends up paralysed.

This is also a thing.

As for not RP'ing... Not an option. RP is the sole thing keeping me alive. 

40 minutes ago, KuraioNokami said:

I have always lived by the mindset that people that cannot positively contribute to the world or the community should "cease to exist", so to speak

This is why. RP is the only thing that I feel I can actually contribute in. Seeing a doctor has been tried, but not even doctors can cure a genetic flaw. It's quite the predicament, and if I hadn't been in exactly this situation your ideas would probably have been literal lifesavers.

Just now, bowiespoon said:

Let me answer your question with another question

What is wrong with serious RPs?

What is wrong with non serious RPs?

Can they coexist?

The answers are: nothing, nothing, and yes.

You speak truth, but for coexistance, there must be balance. As of now, it seems like literally nobody wants my RP's to exist. Ergo, there is no balance, ergo, there is no purpose in coexistance.

30 minutes ago, KuraioNokami said:

You speak truth, but for coexistance, there must be balance. As of now, it seems like literally nobody wants my RP's to exist. Ergo, there is no balance, ergo, there is no purpose in coexistance.

As someone who tried to take part in most of your RP stories. 

I was always involved in them, but the frantic speed of updates, especially since no one was ever waiting for the others got me out of it each time. Worse was the time it took me sometimes to find back posts to quote. 

Maybe you should try to take back one of those more intricate stories, like the one, with that crazy Rhino, and take them slowly, not making it a run between players, but one against the scenario for example. 

Going out with crazy scenarios doesn't sounds like a problem to me, but it then asks for a lot of control exerted by the DM so that everything remains,  if not on rails, along some guiding lines. For example having an open rp works for hub places, but apparently  it with stories such as runs. 

Edit: Drake, Spikey and I are all part of a really slow going one if you want to check how more controlled stories can go. Though I believe yours would go way faster than ours as we have had troubles quite regularly. 

Edited by Cyriann

1 minute ago, Cyriann said:

I was always involved in them, but the frantic speed of updates, especially since no one was ever waiting for the others got me out of it each time. Worse was the time it took me sometimes to find back posts to quote. 

Maybe you should try to take back one of those more intricate stories, like the one, with that crazy Rhino, and take them slowly, not making it a run between players, but one against the scenario for example. 

Going out with crazy scenarios doesn't sounds like a problem to me, but it then asks for a lot of control exerted by the DM so that everything remains,  if not on rails, along some guiding lines. For example having an open rp works for hub places, but apparently  it with stories such as runs. 

Hmm... Forgive my idiocy, but I have no idea what exactly you're trying to say. I... Seem to be having trouble reading what you wrote and understanding what it is I'm reading.

...Maybe I should drink something. Haven't done so since yesterday...

Hmm... Forgive my idiocy, but I have no idea what exactly you're trying to say. I... Seem to be having trouble reading what you wrote and understanding what it is I'm reading.

...Maybe I should drink something. Haven't done so since yesterday...

First... GO DRINK SOMETHING ! Its essential to survival dammit !

Second, dont worry I know I'm being extremely bad at explaining my idea. 

In essence what I want to say is that you are a good DM, but the structure in which you create your story might not always be the correct one to use. I take for example the one I mentioned at a moment you threw a huge wall at me, it was obvious it could not be defeated and thus I ran away from it and engaged into researchs to find out how to get past it. But each time you had moderation to do for me it took me forever to find the post as sometimes it was buried in a serie of back and forth between another PC and one of your OC assisting this PC. Even sometimes you forgot to moderate my posts because it got buried under tons of other things. 

What I want to say is that most of the times your stories were extremely hard to follow due to the nature you implied into them (for those I participated in) which was a run.

The players weren't working together, they were always opposed to one another as the story revolved exclusively around rushing as fast as possible to the objective. 

I think you should try a slower paced story, with teamwork involved between the players, giving you the opportunity to create even weirder things than when only having one person involved. 

18 minutes ago, Cyriann said:

Edit: Drake, Spikey and I are all part of a really slow going one if you want to check how more controlled stories can go. Though I believe yours would go way faster than ours as we have had troubles quite regularly. 

As for Project: Gain Ground... It's supposed to be a filler-less, spam-less RP.

First... GO DRINK SOMETHING ! Its essential to survival dammit !

Second, dont worry I know I'm being extremely bad at explaining my idea. 

In essence what I want to say is that you are a good DM, but the structure in which you create your story might not always be the correct one to use. I take for example the one I mentioned at a moment you threw a huge wall at me, it was obvious it could not be defeated and thus I ran away from it and engaged into researchs to find out how to get past it. But each time you had moderation to do for me it took me forever to find the post as sometimes it was buried in a serie of back and forth between another PC and one of your OC assisting this PC. Even sometimes you forgot to moderate my posts because it got buried under tons of other things. 

What I want to say is that most of the times your stories were extremely hard to follow due to the nature you implied into them (for those I participated in) which was a run.

The players weren't working together, they were always opposed to one another as the story revolved exclusively around rushing as fast as possible to the objective. 

I think you should try a slower paced story, with teamwork involved between the players, giving you the opportunity to create even weirder things than when only having one person involved. 

...What you said I should be making is essentially Project: Gain Ground in a nutshell.

I will, however, need to work out the flaws first.

Basic world building thing here. 

On another note, one liners aren't always bad in a rp. Personally there are times when I find them to be very good answers. 

But it is also a matter of knowing when to use them.

For example in a back and forth that works perfectly to not make long posts, but when you see the answer going in a direction but not fully making it, or let's say an action with very small impact. There one liners are problematic, lacking descriptions, clues and pointers for the player to know what to try or say to have either another clue or start something around them. 

Most of the times you did great with these, creating lively discussions, but there were times where I felt hanging in the air not knowing where to step to continue the story because the line did not gave me the information I was looking for or didn't hinted at anything clear to my eyes. 

(yeah I know talkative, but you asked for help, and these walls aren't the best I can do) 

Basic world building thing here. 

On another note, one liners aren't always bad in a rp. Personally there are times when I find them to be very good answers. 

But it is also a matter of knowing when to use them.

For example in a back and forth that works perfectly to not make long posts, but when you see the answer going in a direction but not fully making it, or let's say an action with very small impact. There one liners are problematic, lacking descriptions, clues and pointers for the player to know what to try or say to have either another clue or start something around them. 

Most of the times you did great with these, creating lively discussions, but there were times where I felt hanging in the air not knowing where to step to continue the story because the line did not gave me the information I was looking for or didn't hinted at anything clear to my eyes. 

(yeah I know talkative, but you asked for help, and these walls aren't the best I can do) 

Again, as I said, the one-line posts are not out ofd a lack of creativity but due to a geneticv flaw causing my hand to get paralysed when typing on my phone late at night.

3 minutes ago, KuraioNokami said:

Again, as I said, the one-line posts are not out ofd a lack of creativity but due to a geneticv flaw causing my hand to get paralysed when typing on my phone late at night.

The as they said above... You should find a way to have something not paralyzing your hand... Also how come that happens? 

Just now, Cyriann said:

The as they said above... You should find a way to have something not paralyzing your hand... Also how come that happens? 

It's a genetic thing. Apparently it's due to something in my DNA causing repeated movements to confuse my nerves or something. Don't ask me, it was never really explained to me either. Point is, there's no real way around it.

4 minutes ago, KuraioNokami said:

It's a genetic thing. Apparently it's due to something in my DNA causing repeated movements to confuse my nerves or something. Don't ask me, it was never really explained to me either. Point is, there's no real way around it.

I had never heard that could be a thing... (Question for genetic class noted) 

Then knowing so,  in such situations, it should suffice to just let people know that past a certain hour you might not be able to answer with something else than one line. And thus as well extend peoples expectations of your answer to come  out always in a minute like you are doing here. 

I had never heard that could be a thing... (Question for genetic class noted) 

Then knowing so,  in such situations, it should suffice to just let people know that past a certain hour you might not be able to answer with something else than one line. And thus as well extend peoples expectations of your answer to come  out always in a minute like you are doing here. 

Time zones then end up being a thing, not to mention human memory not being the best at times.

If I can weigh in here. You're Rp's are good, maybe a little disjointed with the rate at which post come in, like with the Rp "the cross zone" where I'd leave for a couple of hours and come back to find a page or two taken up from one or two other people which can get frustrating especially for those who are not as active but still participate. Maybe try to slow it down a bit.

1 minute ago, Sharpstriker said:

If I can weigh in here. You're Rp's are good, maybe a little disjointed with the rate at which post come in, like with the Rp "the cross zone" where I'd leave for a couple of hours and come back to find a page or two taken up from one or two other people which can get frustrating especially for those who are not as active but still participate. Maybe try to slow it down a bit.

If I slow it down out of my own accord, certain others that I will not name end up complaining about the slow posts. As I have mentioned multiple times, Project: Gain Ground aims to fix both these problems.