Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Did DE lose its dictionary? (new exterminate rant)

tomnmillie

Exterminates are no longer exterminates and while it said in DE Megan's post that the enemy would flee, because their will, spirit or whatever broke, the only thing I noticed is about the same amount of enemies shooting at me, after completing the 'extermination' with the only real difference being, there are more eximus units.

Instead of adding crap like this that does nothing to enrich the game (seriously, seems to only add more reasons for horrible Lotus dialogue), how about fixing crap like one lone enemy in an exterminate gets behind you and then for some reason decides to run halfway back across the map.

If you ever happen to see it some time, check it out. Those SOBs are running like they have a fire in their pants.

And if this new change stays, which I'm guessing it will as most of the annoying stuff does, change the mission name to Cull or Attrition or something.

Actually, this "crap" makes a huge change to exterminate missions. Having more enemies than you need means you don't have to hunt for the last one, you don't fail if one gets stuck and you have more corruption targets for fissure missions.

And the name is still fitting.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

I do enjoy the idea they had for them, and it bypasses a lot of issues we were having with exterminates before. We just need to actually have the enemies do the "flee" part because they certainly aren't fleeing and they just keep attacking like in a survival.

3 minutes ago, AdunSaveMe said:

Actually, this "crap" makes a huge chance to exterminate missions. Having more enemies than you need means you don't have to hunt for the last one, you don't fail if one gets stuck and you have more corruption targets for fissure missions.

And the name is still fitting.

And specially on fissures in case for some reason someone joined at near end it's going to be useful as hell...

12 minutes ago, tomnmillie said:

Instead of adding crap like this that does nothing to enrich the game (seriously, seems to only add more reasons for horrible Lotus dialogue), how about fixing crap like one lone enemy in an exterminate gets behind you and then for some reason decides to run halfway back across the map.

They tried to fix that happening more than once, the current solution seems better IMO, rather than running marathons you can just keep killing until you're done.

The only fair point I see here (and I don't know if it is actually a fair point because I haven't been able to test them yet) is the thing about the enemies not seeming to really try to "flee" the way you would imagine it. But that can be tweaked to make it work better/more as intended. Overall this is a GOOD change. The OP is wrong. 

This is still an exterminate mission, they aren't using the word wrong with the new changes, and it is an improvement for sure. I for one am tired of running off to some random corner of the map, sometimes right near the beginning, to kill a final enemy that spawned later or that I missed. I am tired of running off to every tiny corner to squash every single enemy. It gets tiresome and not fun. This is a good change. 

Yeah see, these are all valid points, but none of them have anything to do with what exterminate means. This is now an untimed survival without the life support. Mobs not showing up, players arriving late, not enough gold balls, those problems are not because of exterminate it's because they are poorly implemented. Why match someone in a pug if they can't crack open their relic? Why doesn't every corrupted enemy drop the gold balls? Mobs not showing up, is a core problem that needs its own fix.

11 minutes ago, -Amaterasu- said:

They tried to fix that happening more than once, the current solution seems better IMO, rather than running marathons you can just keep killing until you're done.

There are other ways to have fixed or put in redundancy checks, like checking if anything has not spawned or been killed for the last 2 minutes, and if the count is lower than needed to compete the mission, spawn more enemies.

A handful of extra enemies is not much and keeps the spirit of the missions in tact.  Rather than continuously spawning enemies making exterminate just like every other mission type..

Edited by Loswaith

10 minutes ago, tomnmillie said:

Yeah see, these are all valid points, but none of them have anything to do with what exterminate means. This is now an untimed survival without the life support. Mobs not showing up, players arriving late, not enough gold balls, those problems are not because of exterminate it's because they are poorly implemented. Why match someone in a pug if they can't crack open their relic? Why doesn't every corrupted enemy drop the gold balls? Mobs not showing up, is a core problem that needs its own fix.

You are wrong. Just because we do not kill every single living thing does not mean it no longer means it is an "Exterminate mission". Exterminate means to destroy completely but the definition does not specify how many you have to destroy. It does not specify that you must kill a group or an entire colony. It just means to completely kill something. It means those Grineer you shot in that mission will stay dead -- check out the definition again. 

You just got used to it meaning "kill every enemy in the map" when playing Warframe, but you are confused about what the definition means -- you are probably also getting confused because pest control often call themselves exterminators and they try to kill every bug. But even the best don't guarantee they can get every single last one. They just kill most of them and then the rest flee for their lives to avoid the poison and traps... 

You are overthinking the definition and you are wrong. 

Calling it an "exterminate" mission, simply means that the only goal in that mission is to kill enemies. It is nothing like "survival without life support". In survival our objective is to distract the enemy while a really, really dumb Tenno tries to raid the ship for supplies and finds only garbage. In Exterminate we destroy our enemies... and that's it. 

Edited by Tesseract7777

2 minutes ago, tomnmillie said:
ex·ter·mi·nate
ikˈstərməˌnāt/
verb

1. destroy completely.

Yup. That is the exact definition I just quoted to you. Now tell me where it says "destroy a group completely". 

I'll wait. I have all night. 

*Hint, you won't find that definition because that's not what the word means. 

Exterminate just means the objective of the mission is to squash stuff like bugs, not to "destroy every enemy", that is Warframe specific definition that you got used to. The dictionary does not say what you think the word means. 

Edited by Tesseract7777

28 minutes ago, NightmareT12 said:

And specially on fissures in case for some reason someone joined at near end it's going to be useful as hell...

Absolutely. I hate those. You or someone else joins a mission even only halfway through, and you either have to wait an annoyingly long time to try and get reactant, or that person doesn't get any reactant at all.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

24 minutes ago, tomnmillie said:

So? This is still a good change, and it helps a lot with those issues. Just because they aren't permanently fixed at the source doesn't mean this change doesn't combat those issues. We're better off having it than not having it.

What exactly is the problem with this, then? Seems like you're against another issue, rather than being against the change itself.

And this idea that it's "untimed survival without life support" is ludicrous. Would you say the same about capture missions? They function the same way as exterminate does now: you go in, you fight through unlimited enemies, and you leave when you complete the objective. This is the same for sabotage, and assassinate, etc. etc.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

Dear Warframe apologists,

You win. I'm stupid and wrong and never should have voiced my displeasure over this change instead of them fixing the underlying problems. Thank you for your guidance and insight. I am a better person now and can feel the radiance of your righteousness illuminate my soul. 

2 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

Yup. That is the exact definition I just quoted to you. Now tell me where it says "destroy a group completely". 

I'll wait. I have all night. 

*Hint, you won't find that definition because that's not what the word means. 

Exterminate just means the objective of the mission is to squash stuff like bugs, not to "destroy every enemy", that is Warframe specific definition that you got used to. The dictionary does not say what you think the word means. 

1 minute ago, tomnmillie said:

You win. I'm stupid and wrong and never should have voiced my displeasure over this change instead of them fixing the underlying problems. Thank you for your guidance and insight. I am a better person now and can feel the radiance of your righteousness illuminate my soul. 

Apologists?

We like the change, what is it you believe we are apologising for?

4 minutes ago, tomnmillie said:

*facepalm*. 

I like the change, that doesn't make me an apologist. It just means I have a different opinion. I think you are getting way too caught up over a single word. If you weren't so caught up insulting them over a word meaning, this thread would be getting more discussion value. I think there are some things wrong with Exterminate missions that you pointed out, but I also believe this change helps fix some of those issues, and I think being against the change simply because you think the "word is now the wrong definition" seems like a silly reason to be against it. 

Some of your concerns are relevant and there is nothing wrong with voicing them, but lets not get caught up in ranting that is borderline bashing over a wording choice. 

9 minutes ago, tomnmillie said:

Calling people apologists just because they disagree with you isn't going to help matters. Everybody wants the underlying problems to be fixed, but the point is that this change helps a lot in combating those issues, and is a good change.

This is not about the word, it's about the change. The word is just icing on the cake.

For the money and time I put into this game I expect some quality in return, not these half measure workarounds.

I'm glad you folks like the change.

I have never hated a game that I love more than this one.