Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Did DE lose its dictionary? (new exterminate rant)

tomnmillie

26 minutes ago, tomnmillie said:

This is not about the word, it's about the change. The word is just icing on the cake.

1 hour ago, tomnmillie said:

Yeah see, these are all valid points, but none of them have anything to do with what exterminate means. 

I wish you'd make up your mind.

This isn't a "half measure workaround". This change isn't being introduced just to deal with the inherent problem of enemy spawns. This is its own change, that functions well on its own. You're trying to see it for something it isn't instead of taking it for what it is.

Ya know, I haven't seen this tossed around enough lately.

Spoiler

Image result for warframe its beta .gif

Good chance the name will be changed, calm down.  

You are correct that the name of the mission does not exactly and perfectly match the core concept of the objective, but...I rather like it.  I mean, those giant bases, you know there's got to be more than just 67 - 219 people staffing a base that takes up the space of a major metropolitan city.  (one that typically is home to around 1 million)

As far as the "flee" thing goes, after reaching the kill quota it seems like less enemies spawn as a whole compared to actively climbing the numbers. could just be coincidence based of rooms i was inhabiting by the time i hit the quota but out of 5five exterminates ran it always seemed like less spawns occurred.

The change is welcome and I think it was primarily done to fix this common issue of back tracking during Exterminate. It was quite annoying. However this change has a new bug/problem. 

I did a Kuva Flood Exterminate only with one other player. It wasn`t that easy to complete and the goal was at roughly 120 kills. We were missing 10 kills and the goal raised to 125 all of the sudden. We killed a few more spreading out across the map and tracking red dots on our map. Found two more enemys and the goal jumps again for 5 more kills. This continued till a 200 kills requirement because the goal always raised and we couldn`t find and kill enemys fast enough :shocked: 

It`s sligthly confusing at the moment, I`ve also seen green extract icons poping up way ahead of the listed requirement and vanishing again.

And btw "exterminate" doesn`t mean exterminate a certain amount, that would be "exterminate-a-certain-amount" :smile: 

Edited by AcceptYourDeath

7 hours ago, tomnmillie said:

This is not about the word, it's about the change. The word is just icing on the cake.

For the money and time I put into this game I expect some quality in return, not these half measure workarounds.

I'm glad you folks like the change.

I have never hated a game that I love more than this one.

I recommend you to stop putting money into it.

If you look closely, you will see other chronic problems too. And of course "beta excuses" fly all over the place when a thread like this pop up.

"Year of quality" joke in WF is always catchy.

If you want to keep your sanity while playing this game, you should not expect anything and don't think too much on the mechanics are well thought or not, numbers are appropriate or not, grinding, rng...etc. Being as brainless as possible is your salvation. 

Not directly related, but I guess they used up all their dictionaries to make a bonfire celebrating the coming of spring or something. And burned their editor at the stake while they were at it. 

I mean, seriously, I'm not a native English speaker but even I cringe when I see something like this:

jXSmbTB.jpg

The annoying part is when the extraction icon vanishes completely when there are mobs nearby once you've hit your kill quota. Can we please have the extraction icon remain in the minimap so that if you -aren't- interested in going out of your way to kill extra mobs and do just want to extract, you can see where you're going?

11 hours ago, ChuckMaverick said:

Apologists?

We like the change, what is it you believe we are apologising for?

He means it by the definition of: a person who offers an argument in defense of something controversial.
Though I hardly see the how this change is controversial.

11 hours ago, tomnmillie said:

For the money and time I put into this game I expect some quality in return, not these half measure workarounds.

How is this a "half measure workaround"?
It makes the mission more interesting and exciting.  It fixes pretty much all of the problems with the old version.

In what world is that a "half measure"?

And I don't know about you, but after going through every tile in the game hundreds and hundreds of times its nice not to have to go "Whelp, now I'm going through another empty ship with absolutely nothing to do and nothing to see and absolutely nothing happening...."
It fixes that boredom because now I have things to shoot and dodge instead of turning into a walking simulator.

18 minutes ago, Zendadaist said:

The annoying part is when the extraction icon vanishes completely when there are mobs nearby once you've hit your kill quota. Can we please have the extraction icon remain in the minimap so that if you -aren't- interested in going out of your way to kill extra mobs and do just want to extract, you can see where you're going?

This is the only change I want made.
Kind of annoying trying to get to the exit when you can't see the path to the exit.

Just now, Tsukinoki said:

He means it by the definition of: a person who offers an argument in defense of something controversial.
Though I hardly see the how this change is controversial.

I understand the meaning, and clearly the OP didn't fall into the debating 'trap' of detailing the definition because, as you say, the change isn't controversial.

2 minutes ago, ChuckMaverick said:

I understand the meaning, and clearly the OP didn't fall into the debating 'trap' of detailing the definition because, as you say, the change isn't controversial.

Fair enough and my apologies for defining it then.  I'm just used to far too many people that don't know the actual meaning and its almost an auto-response on my part now.

13 hours ago, ChuckMaverick said:

This change is a HUGE bonus for exterminate fissure missions, much less chance of running out of enemies before you hit 10/10 reactant.

It used to be especially bad if the mission switched types to an exterminate part way through.

Since they changed reactant to drop like candy in exterminates, I don't think this was really an issue. Not that i'm against the change mind you, but the reactant clearly wasnt the reason. At least now we don't end up with 123/127 sitting at extract. I used to be able to get 10 reactant from the first ten enemies of an exterminate without even waiting. Exterminate since the reactant drop buff is the fastest way to finish a fissure mission. 

Edited by Skaleek

12 hours ago, AdunSaveMe said:

So? This is still a good change, and it helps a lot with those issues. Just because they aren't permanently fixed at the source doesn't mean this change doesn't combat those issues. We're better off having it than not having it.

What exactly is the problem with this, then? Seems like you're against another issue, rather than being against the change itself.

And this idea that it's "untimed survival without life support" is ludicrous. Would you say the same about capture missions? They function the same way as exterminate does now: you go in, you fight through unlimited enemies, and you leave when you complete the objective. This is the same for sabotage, and assassinate, etc. etc.

Exactly, if exterminate is like that to him, why not complain about capture? i managed t sit in a room for an hour farming plastid after i downed the target, you want survival with no life support, there you go. I like the new changes. It makes it muc easier to get the fissures, you dont have to worry about not opening the relic or have to wait while someone runs back through the map picking them up.

4 hours ago, AcceptYourDeath said:

The change is welcome and I think it was primarily done to fix this common issue of back tracking during Exterminate. It was quite annoying. However this change has a new bug/problem. 

I did a Kuva Flood Exterminate only with one other player. It wasn`t that easy to complete and the goal was at roughly 120 kills. We were missing 10 kills and the goal raised to 125 all of the sudden. We killed a few more spreading out across the map and tracking red dots on our map. Found two more enemys and the goal jumps again for 5 more kills. This continued till a 200 kills requirement because the goal always raised and we couldn`t find and kill enemys fast enough :shocked: 

It`s sligthly confusing at the moment, I`ve also seen green extract icons poping up way ahead of the listed requirement and vanishing again.

And btw "exterminate" doesn`t mean exterminate a certain amount, that would be "exterminate-a-certain-amount" :smile: 

This happened to me before, most of the time it will happen when Lotus informs you that there are reinforcements, they make the total jump up by 5.

5 hours ago, AcceptYourDeath said:

And btw "exterminate" doesn`t mean exterminate a certain amount, that would be "exterminate-a-certain-amount"

"exterminate" is non-specific as to the amount, it just means "kill", the actual amount of enemies you need to exterminate is specified by the objective counter.

42 minutes ago, imoneoldfart said:

Exactly, if exterminate is like that to him, why not complain about capture? i managed t sit in a room for an hour farming plastid after i downed the target, you want survival with no life support, there you go. I like the new changes. It makes it muc easier to get the fissures, you dont have to worry about not opening the relic or have to wait while someone runs back through the map picking them up.

Capture, Excavation, Assassinations, Spy, Mobile Defenses, Ayatan missions...

I definitely miss the old exterminate.

They were the only missions ( defense doesn't count considering the extra small static layout, lack of loot-box, instant mission completion on last kill) were you could actually have the pleasure of full clearing, if you so wished. You kill everything, loot everything and no enemy or chest remains. No echo on radar. Once cleared, you could explore the place and if you wanted to practice some particular jump, you could do so undisturbed.

The new one, as some have already said, feels just like a survival.

I find far more anti-climatic to still have gazillions of guards to kill in the secret lab/ship after I've wiped the floor with the "large platoon of grinner stationed there" than the silent place it should be.

Edited by SubtleOaf

2 hours ago, SubtleOaf said:

I find far more anti-climatic to still have gazillions of guards to kill in the secret lab/ship after I've wiped the floor with the "large platoon of grinner stationed there" than the silent place it should be.

Steve has talked about a change that may be coming to exterminate missions where, once you've killed the required number of 'grunts', a mini-boss will spawn that you have to kill to complete the mission.

This should give you the 'climax' to the exterminate mission you are after, but will no doubt take longer to develop.

The updated system DE have just introduced is a good way to address the outstanding issues without requiring us to wait for the full overhaul.

16 hours ago, tomnmillie said:

Dear Warframe apologists,

You win. I'm stupid and wrong and never should have voiced my displeasure over this change instead of them fixing the underlying problems. Thank you for your guidance and insight. I am a better person now and can feel the radiance of your righteousness illuminate my soul. /s

FTFY

If you brought someone into your house to exterminate insects or rodents or something similar, would you be satisfied with them killing off a certain number and then having them say "Well, that's it. I filled my quota. Good luck with the rest of them."? No. You would want them to kill all of the pests in your home, if possible (and if it wasn't possible, it would likely be more of a sabotage than an exterminate. Lay down poisoned bait, set up traps, etc.) Why should the Lotus by fine with us only half-assing an exterminate?

If they do feel the need to keep the new exterminate, they should still cap the enemy spawns. maybe make it to where you can only have up to 2x the number of spawns required to complete the mission. That way, some people can blast their way through and be done, while others can do a genocide run and walk around an empty ship.