Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

4K UI Support

[DE]Pablo

We’ve been hard at work adding 3840 × 2160 (4K) resolution support to Warframe! This has required us to change the approach we take to making our UI, and it will come with some changes for all resolutions!

First, let me show you the pain our 4K players endure at the moment: 
4kSettings.jpg

Spoiler

1kpn2w.jpg

And, now, some background: 

This happens because most of our players use either 720 or 1080 resolution, so we decided to design for the in-between resolution of 1600 x 900. When it scales down to 720, it’s still readable, and in 1080 we just add empty space around it.

So, when we add empty space around it for 4K, things look tiny. The first change is that now all screens will adjust to the resolution. If you were playing on 900 or less, there’s almost no change for you. If you are playing on any resolution greater than 900, screens now won’t have empty space around them. Instead, they will grow to match your resolution.

We also made a few setting changes to help on 4K: 

• Chat Scale allows you to make Chat larger
  • A slider to increase the size of the cursor
  • The HUD Scale now allows higher values

One key part of this change that is still being worked on is font rendering, which will be an ongoing effort for a future revision of our 4K launch! 

9 hours ago, [DE]Pablo said:

We also made a few setting changes to help on 4K: 

• Chat Scale allows you to make Chat larger

This just made my day, although since the changes seem to automatically set the UI to fill the screen from what I got would there be any way to scale it on our own so we can have a small amount of space if we want? I'm not sure if after all this time I'd be able to get used to something that big.

being able to adjust Cursor size will be nice strictly for the ability to make it giant so that it doesn't take as long to find it whenever you open a menu in Gameplay. 
less time spent randomly flailing my mouse around "where the is Cursor".

oh btw whenever a menu opens over Gameplay, the Cursor should either be auto centered or auto jumped to a point near where the buttons on that menu will be.
that way people don't need to flail their mouse around to try and find where the Cursor is since Warframe doesn't freeze its position while in focus (which isn't necessary, just move it to where it should be when you need to use it).

17 hours ago, mrecentric said:

4096x2160 ?

don't expect that to be supported by anything in the computing industry.
it's a completely unused Aspect Ratio that conforms to literally no standards in film media or computing. 

15 hours ago, taiiat said:

Don't expect that to be supported by anything in the computing industry.
it's a completely unused Aspect Ratio that conforms to literally no standards in film media or computing. 

It's my display's native resolution. My computer running it just fine along with every game including Warframe. It's just that the UI isn't scaling well. Why would I have cared about it if my computer weren't using it?

Don't believe me? Here is a list of monitors that resolution and it's just what Newegg sells and doesn't include TVs.

It's called 2160p.

Edited by mrecentric

3 hours ago, mrecentric said:

It's my display's native resolution. My computer running it just fine along with every game including Warframe. It's just that the UI isn't scaling well. Why would I have cared about it if my computer weren't using it?

It's called 2160p.

it's not 2160p - 2160p for media content and computing is 3840*2160. it falls into the category but nobody is referring to this form factor when referring to 2160p or '4k'.

4096*2160 is only used for cinema camera recording(but... if you buy a movie on a disc or stream it, it's going to be 3840*2160 if it's advertised to be '4k'. because 3840 was decided to be the Consumer standard due to being a standard Aspect Ratio.). it's not present elsewhere because it's a unique Aspect Ratio, in line with basically nothing else. content a consumer sees is all 3840*2160 (or in 21:9) because it conforms to Aspect Ratios that have been widely used previously.

Aspect Ratios and resolutions will get support (not exclusively for Warframe, just in general), as usage percentages start to become relevant.
which for 4096*2160, unfortunately, i'm afraid is likely to be never. it's just entirely unused in the Consumer space.

normally i'm all for options that provide more real estate than standard form factors, but 256:135 (or ~17.07:9) AKA your beloved 4096*2160, has extra real estate in the direction that there's already the most, in horizontal. rather than vertical, where there's less to begin with.

tl;dr if it gets supported at all, it's going to be pretty much at the bottom of the list because Market Share is effectively nonexistent.
even the more outlandish Resolution various versions of the Surface Tablet have higher Market Share.

I play on 1440p and have some problems because of the UI scale. I can't use the minimap in the top left corner because it's too small on the highest HUD scale setting, but the overlay minimap is way too big since the war within... Which doesn't change with HUD scale size. So I play the game from the overlay map staring at that rather than where I am in the level, to make use of my animal instinct to get all the drops and see where I am in the level I like to use overlay map though... Please revert it to the lower profile version it had been for over 3 years?

Is it more important to scale to a set resolution than to scale properly for different aspect ratios? Everything seems to come down on the same line of 16:9 . There is little to no love for 16:10 , no love for 21:9 and (naturally) no love for non-widescreen resolutions, despite the fact there are still high quality monitors of this type being produced. So can someone answer me why I would need to specifically code for something that is going to go bonkers anyway on other areas? Wouldn't be proper aspect ratio baselines along with true vector-rendered UI content much easier to conform to a multitude of monitors which would have provided futureproofing in the first place?