Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

4K UI Support

[DE]Pablo

So this is why my UI has to look like blurry garbage that blocks like half my screen?

Why did you have to ruin the UI on other resolutions to make it fit 4K better, every other game I've ever played had the UI change when you change resolutions; they never messed with each other.

I'm on a 27'' 1440p IPS monitor with crystal-clear colors and sharpness.

I'm going to show you a few screenshots. Since there is no way for you to know how they look on my screen (especially if you see the pictures on a smaller, lower res monitor), you'll have to trust me here.

These texts, from before the uglification patch, looked perfect:

Warframe0002.jpgsubefotos

Shield and Health indicators have a perfect size, same as my equipped weapon on the bottom right corner, and the "ammo full" text in the bottom middle.

Now, compare that to this disaster:

Warframe0020.jpghosting imagenes

Everything looks bloated. Texts are a swollen low resolution jaggy mess.

And let's not forget this one:

Warframe0035.jpgsubir imagenes

My post-mission menus used to look this this:

Warframe0003.jpgsubir foto

Texts were crispy and well-defined.

Now I get this:

Warframe0030.jpgsubefotos

Again, texts are jaggy, in your face, and so massive that they are really hard to focus on.

Edited by Sergei.Pavlov

Do not envy PC users at the moment, though perhaps not technically in your minds (Though Warframe is in perpetual Beta), you are the beta testers for the console build. So thanks.

Temporary fix could have been... turn off HUD. 

I actually don't like the current HUD for the console build. The one most are clamoring for a return. It's not immersive and it's always been cluttered and getting even more cluttered with every build.

I prefer to play with HUD off but for months now that has been inconvenient because you can't revive and you can't see overlay map with HUD off... which you could before. So you can't tell where you need to go and if taken down you have to go into options turn HUD on, revive, then go back in and turn HUD off again.

So Pablo, please bring back Overlay map and revive with HUD off for players who want to enjoy the graphics DE is constantly improving upon. At least give us the option to toggle all elements of HUD on and off so players can customize their gameplay experience to their satisfaction. Might be the quickest fix for the current user experience on PC... and console eventually.

4K is a niche market right now, for TV at least. I am writing as a console player. Yes, it will be necessary for all when 4K is the standard but that's not right now. No offense to current 4K users but that's a lot of effort for the problems it's currently causing. 

Warframe needs to evolve so the HUD is unnoticeable. Look at Dead Space, a game that pre-dates Warframe or for that matter how about a little game called Dark Sector. 

All I'm saying is to this player, audio cues or visual cues are preferable to text cues or icons unless your character is accessing some form of text interface. I would love for each Warframe to be given a voice to communicate with its' current operator during gameplay. The voice of the original operator! Ooh chills.... lore lore lore implications.  

Simple example from Archwing,  Archwings having a beacon that activates when allies are downed like mobile defense satellite beacons. Or when extracting, host Liset waiting at extraction, beacon lit. How hard would that be to incorporate?

U20 is coming to console eventually so hopefully this post will be something for DE to consider in the coming weeks. 

Also DE... blurry.... not good. Lol Just saying.

Edited by (PS4)SIVISA

I still don't get how this ever went though; was this way it looked in development and somebody thought it was OK?? Was it just not tested thoroughly, and has gone live glitched? Quite possible since the FoV seems different and the UI sliders do nothing. Still I find it disconcerting that DE requested screenshots... what do their builds look like at the office?? Now I've never designed an interface for a game but I've worked on some responsive web design and we test on a huge range of resolutions from mobile size upwards, so how did this happen, and why has the end result surprised the devs?

Ultimately this has highlighted the UI in general is pretty clunky, maybe time to start rebuilding it with vector assets.

I play in 1440x900, and I think that since this update some of the writing in UI's has actually decreased in quality. For example, the extractor box's writing seems very blurry.

Although I might just be being paranoid, I also believe that the menu in the top right for Alerts/Sortie/... has shrunk, though I'm not entirely sure this is the first time I've thought this either. The writing by each section certainly seems harder to read now.

1 hour ago, JCBeastie said:

I still don't get how this ever went though; was this way it looked in development and somebody thought it was OK?? Was it just not tested thoroughly, and has gone live glitched? Quite possible since the FoV seems different and the UI sliders do nothing. Still I find it disconcerting that DE requested screenshots... what do their builds look like at the office?? Now I've never designed an interface for a game but I've worked on some responsive web design and we test on a huge range of resolutions from mobile size upwards, so how did this happen, and why has the end result surprised the devs?

Ultimately this has highlighted the UI in general is pretty clunky, maybe time to start rebuilding it with vector assets.

I truly do not mean to be malicious or rude when I say this, but fiascos like this just further the perception that DE doesn't really play its own game. Given how widespread the problem seems to be on various resolutions, it's difficult for me to believe that this problem couldn't have been picked up before the patch hit by simply launching the game.

Again, no disrespect, but in most other fields of work, heads would be rolling for a mistake like this.

50 minutes ago, SilentCynic said:

I truly do not mean to be malicious or rude when I say this, but fiascos like this just further the perception that DE doesn't really play its own game. Given how widespread the problem seems to be on various resolutions, it's difficult for me to believe that this problem couldn't have been picked up before the patch hit by simply launching the game.

Again, no disrespect, but in most other fields of work, heads would be rolling for a mistake like this.

Exactly how I feel; generally I think DE does some great work but I just don't see how this went through. Nobody had a chance to test the changes, this post was put up as a heads up and received no criticism because the goal of fixing the UI at 4k isn't something anyone is going to oppose. There were no previews. No-one had any idea it would affect the UI at any other resolution like it has, and people playing at 4k report that the scaling is even off for them. I'm sure Pablo has a lot of work cut out for him but I'd like to know if it looked like this on his screen, because nobody needs graphical elements this relatively large on screen, and especially when it's stretching/compressing art and causing fluffy text rendering too. Previously the UI has been quite tidy and hasn't consumed much space, but if re-scaling the elements back to the earlier proportions is not a quick fix then clearly they need to go back to how it's coded because that doesn't sound optimal for anyone.

3440x1440 user, and please give us hud options, I liked it the way it was before, it now looks like stretched 1080p.

Trying to navigate anything like this looks silly, and before I could see all alerts, syndicate missions etc. now I can't even see half.

I get some people will want this change, but please let us choose for our selves.

For a 3440x144 these are what some of the changes look like:

Before 

It

After [.img]

Galaxy Map After

It might not be easy to see, but if you look at the "Select mode, Load out Options, Exit' buttons, you can see they have gotten about 2.5 times bigger. Now if you look at the galaxy map, the missions tab has done the same (sorry no before picture of that one), so you can only fir 5 missions instead 9. It feels bloated and uncomfortable to use.

What are you doing? Cannot atleast one of you in the office see how dogS#&$e awful the menu looks now?

I just don't understand how you could let this go through, i'm baffled.

WE DON'T ALL HAVE GLAUCOMA, PLEASE REVERT.

22 minutes ago, Sauroc said:

I just don't understand how you could let this go through, i'm baffled.

Apparently DE only ever tested on 900p resolutions, said it looked good there, and then released the changes to everyone without checking  how it looks at various resolutions on various screen sizes.
All because it looked good at 900p and they thought it would scale properly up to 4k and not look "tiny". (which as a side note: on 900p resolutions or lower it doesn't look bad, it just looks bad on anything higher than 900p)

Well they got one part right: It doesn't look "tiny" anymore.....

8 hours ago, (PS4)SIVISA said:

Do not envy PC users at the moment, though perhaps not technically in your minds (Though Warframe is in perpetual Beta), you are the beta testers for the console build. So thanks.

Temporary fix... turn off HUD. 

I actually don't like the current HUD for the console build. The one most are clamoring for a return. It's not immersive and it's always been cluttered and getting even more cluttered with every build.

I prefer to play with HUD off but for months now that has been inconvenient because you can't revive and you can't see overlay map with HUD off... which you could before. So you can't tell where you need to go and if taken down you have to go into options turn HUD on, revive, then go back in and turn HUD off again.

So Pablo, please bring back Overlay map and revive with HUD off for players who want to enjoy the graphics DE is constantly improving upon. At least give us the option to toggle all elements of HUD on and off so players can customize their gameplay experience to their satisfaction. Might be the quickest fix for the current user experience on PC... and console eventually.

4K is a niche market right now, for TV at least. I am writing as a console player. Yes, it will be necessary for all when 4K is the standard but that's not right now. No offense to current 4K users but that's a lot of effort for the problems it's currently causing. 

Warframe needs to evolve so the HUD is unnoticeable. Look at Dead Space, a game that pre-dates Warframe or for that matter how about a little game called Dark Sector. 

All I'm saying is to this player, audio cues or visual cues are preferable to text cues or icons unless your character is accessing some form of text interface. I would love for each Warframe to be given a voice to communicate with its' current operator during gameplay. The voice of the original operator! Ooh chills.... lore lore lore implications.  

Simple example from Archwing,  Archwings having a beacon that activates when allies are downed like mobile defense satellite beacons. Or when extracting, host Liset waiting at extraction, beacon lit. How hard would that be to incorporate?

U20 is coming to console eventually so hopefully this post will be something for DE to consider in the coming weeks. 

Also DE... blurry.... not good. Lol Just saying.

You can't play the game without the UI, and that is where the majority of the issues lie.

Here's a suggestion:

When people have resolutions that are double the width and height of regular 1920x1080 HD, just double the scale of the existing UI to fit.  It's not a remotely GPU intensive process to do scaling of that type, especially because you don't need to update the UI on every frame update.  That way 4k users will get exactly the same UI experience that regular HD users have, without having to over-complicate and ultimately break things, or go to the trouble of redesigning the whole UI, while trying to find a way to scale it down without losing detail.

Who the hell puts so much detail into UI elements that they look any crisper on a 4K display anyway?  That's time that can be better spent on more pressing issues, that affect far more users.

Edited by polarity

13 minutes ago, Krionion said:

Also not sure if this is supposed to be this zoomed out, though I feel this wasn't like this yesterday. It looks a bit awkward and empty. Anyone else experiencing this?

EXIADjF.png

That bug was in the previous version also, sometimes happens. But thisis a minor bug compared to UI.