Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

4K UI Support

[DE]Pablo

• 2 weeks later...

After looking for more stuff about resolution/aspect ratios, I think I might have made a mistake buying my new 21:9 monitor. If people are having problems with 2k/4k which is still using 16:9, then I have no hope for my new monitor. And I was so excited since my movie watching experience will become almost perfect. Oh well, can't have everything I guess.

i agre too the ui scale is 

5 minutes ago, Leleat said:

agree with the guy above me, the ui scales horriblly with 21:9 ratio (2560x1080), everythings got too big (and sometimes blurry...) :(

16:9  3840x2160 i like my ui smaller too  so please 

On 3/3/2017 at 6:02 PM, [DE]Pablo said:

We’ve been hard at work adding 3840 × 2160 (4K) resolution support to Warframe! This has required us to change the approach we take to making our UI, and it will come with some changes for all resolutions!

First, let me show you the pain our 4K players endure at the moment: 
4kSettings.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

1kpn2w.jpg

And, now, some background: 

This happens because most of our players use either 720 or 1080 resolution, so we decided to design for the in-between resolution of 1600 x 900. When it scales down to 720, it’s still readable, and in 1080 we just add empty space around it.

So, when we add empty space around it for 4K, things look tiny. The first change is that now all screens will adjust to the resolution. If you were playing on 900 or less, there’s almost no change for you. If you are playing on any resolution greater than 900, screens now won’t have empty space around them. Instead, they will grow to match your resolution.

We also made a few setting changes to help on 4K: 

• Chat Scale allows you to make Chat larger
  • A slider to increase the size of the cursor
  • The HUD Scale now allows higher values

One key part of this change that is still being worked on is font rendering, which will be an ongoing effort for a future revision of our 4K launch! 

Problem is, everyone WITHOUT 4K is having issues; buttons are darn huge.

Well, the update droped and now it makes the game almost umplayable for me at 2k(1440p) because the uy its so big that it apears blurry, i want my ui for ants back please, now i will have to play at 1080p windowed to being able to see some deail in the ui.

Um, why is everything so BIG and blurry?
I'm on 1440p, and i'm having problems reading the text as it's too BIG, I literally had to move my seat back to be able to read.
And i'm seeing blurry patches everywhere.
Why does UI scale go from only 100 to 300?
Right now i want to set it to around 30.

EDIT: yep, this looks reasonable in 1920x1080, in windowed mode,  looks like we are not meant to enjoy higher resolutions at all
In case someone missed the point of high resolutions, I'm running a 2560x1440p monitor, not because I wanted larger, but because i wanted more information density.
If i wanted physically bigger, I would just play on a TV.

.. from up close.
Sorry, I have to say it, this UI looks designed for the severely visually impaired.

And on the topic of zoom, I still feel the same about the expanded map btw, I never expanded it to make it bigger, I wanted to see more area.
The patch that zoomed in the expanded map, just.. didnt help.. at all...

Edited by enizer

I think someone messed up with whatever scaling they use for the UI slider. The size it is now should be the max (300%), since that would leave normal GUI settings (<200%) around what they used to be, and it would leave the max size taking up the entire screen. It can't get any bigger, but the slider says it's at minimum size, and can get 3x larger.

8 minutes ago, LeakingAmps said:

I think someone messed up with whatever scaling they use for the UI slider. The size it is now should be the max (300%), since that would leave normal GUI settings (<200%) around what they used to be, and it would leave the max size taking up the entire screen. It can't get any bigger, but the slider says it's at minimum size, and can get 3x larger.

Hmm, that makes me think, this only changes the ingame UI, and it's really the ESC menu interface and others on the ship that i have a problem with, THOSE are way too huge, and are even hard to read because the font is just too BIG.

The in-mission one isn't too big, although something is wrong graphically, I have yet to spot exactly what, details come later on that once i do more testing.

Edited by enizer

22 minutes ago, enizer said:

Um, why is everything so BIG and blurry?
I'm on 1440p, and i'm having problems reading the text as it's too BIG, I literally had to move my seat back to be able to read.

Same here, on a 40" 4K monitor. I can't literally can't read the text, unless I move a meter back.

How is this "4K UI support", when on monitors of a decent size the old UI was fine on 4K, while the current UI, is not?

Ok so iv played in 4K with that old UI..... this new UI is so god dam @(*()&#036; large and its horrid.
I want my small UI Scale back.... that was one of the reasons i liked 4K is because game UI never supports it so the UI is small and nice.... now its @(*()&#036; way to god dam big. Dam it.

Before we had a few screens that always stretched up to match resolution, Like Arsenal, Mods, Main Menu, Foundry, etc. Now all screens do this, I realize things now look bigger, in some cases MUCH bigger and that might be undesirable.

Unfortunately giving you control over this is pretty complicated, since each screen is setup manually for it's own needs. Steve does have a theory of something we could try but it will take some time to investigate once we are out of the woods for the update.

Will keep you informed, once we know more, it will take some time, thanks for your patience.

PS. The HUD scale slider only affect Heads Up Display in missions, it does not affect any of the menus.

2 minutes ago, [DE]Pablo said:

Before we had a few screens that always stretched up to match resolution, Like Arsenal, Mods, Main Menu, Foundry, etc. Now all screens do this, I realize things now look bigger, in some cases MUCH bigger and that might be undesirable.

Unfortunately giving you control over this is pretty complicated, since each screen is setup manually for it's own needs. Steve does have a theory of something we could try but it will take some time to investigate once we are out of the woods for the update.

Will keep you informed, once we know more, it will take some time, thanks for your patience.

PS. The HUD scale slider only affect Heads Up Display in missions, it does not affect any of the menus.

Pablo, if the old menu at 1080p was roughly 85% of total size (900 UI with empty space for 1080), do you think you can downscale it so at all resolutions it looks like that? I think it would work.

Edited by NightmareT12