Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

4K UI Support

[DE]Pablo

The mission selection box is too big, but that would be helped with less transparency.
The chat box is too small at 4k on my 27" 4k monitor.

YNXAn6n.jpg

2560x1440 - chat box is reasonable now, nav still way too big. This shot shows how the transparency is a problem. Also, wasn't the alert/etc pulldown anchored to the right before?

JnXbBdr.jpg

Edited by chrisx1125

Resolution scaling for menu screens and other elements is awful.... hud (in-game, like map, health, pickups, abilities in bottom right seem fine) but seriously when I was logging in I thought my game was at 720p or lower (from 1440p)

13 minutes ago, [DE]Pablo said:

It's not the sort of thing that can be reverted, it's setup on each screen, so after it was setup any additional changes done to that screen would be combined into it. It's tangled in along with dozens and dozen of changes over the past few months

Hmm, perhaps there's a way to re-code the UI scaling meter to allow us to go farther negative?

I mean as it is it's... Really, really bad. Like not something that can sit for a couple weeks or anything. I hope you guys prioritize this and good luck.

40 minutes ago, Egg_Chen said:

Don't rush, the 22 players using 4K are super happy right now, the rest of us, not so much! I think you have your priorities a bit backwards,

Even at 4K the size of many UI elements is too big and clunky and trying to play with all of the UI being different scale is headache inducing.

I mean some of the pop-ups, like "Do X Headshots" and stuff made me think at first that my resolution was in 800x600 with how huge they were compared to everything else.

They really need to tie the size of the UI to the hud scale at the very least.

In its current state the game is just causing headaches and migraines.

On 3/3/2017 at 9:02 AM, [DE]Pablo said:

So, when we add empty space around it for 4K, things look tiny. The first change is that now all screens will adjust to the resolution. If you were playing on 900 or less, there’s almost no change for you. If you are playing on any resolution greater than 900, screens now won’t have empty space around them. Instead, they will grow to match your resolution.

Removing some of the space would have been good.
But you didn't need to remove all of it.

Negative space is good in design.  Sure you don't want 90% of the screen to be negative space, but there wasn't a problem with it.
As it stands the current iteration of changes just has too little negative space and everything is too crowded and massive and even headache inducing.

One of the draws of moving away from 800x600 resolutions in a lot of things is adding in more space and being able to see more things and generally having your screen feel less cramped and full.  This change to the UI pretty much says: "You might as well stick to 800x600 because it will look exactly the same and cramped and you just can't have the option to un-cramp your UI!  Hope you like 800x600 as that's really the only resolution we're giving you!"

EDIT:
Here is an example of how bad the UI is messed up by your scaling:
This is a 1440x900 image of the starchart currently:

Here is the same thing in 4K resolution:

Somehow the UI is more cluttered in a higher resolution than the lower one.

If you notice on the 1440x900 the alerts window doesn't stretch all the way between the buttons on the bottom and don't cover the extractor logo.
In the 4K it does, and somehow doesn't show any extra information or anything else.  At the very least with the UI using more screenspace on a higher resolution (which is generally the opposite of how most games do things where higher resolution means that the UI covers less of the screen) it should show more information, not the same ammount.
But really it shouldn't be using more of the screen to show the UI on the higher resolution.  There should be some difference between the resolutions (I bet if I didn't lable it it would be hard to tell which resolution was which) and the UI shouldn't feel so cluttered on the higher resolutions.

When the higher resolution has less available screen space than the lower resolution someone goofed up somewhere, and badly.
A higher resolution should mean that the player has more screenspace to move stuff around in and look at stuff.  Somehow you're UI scaling  is way too intense and results in less screenspace at the higher resolutions than you get at the lower resolutions.

Quite literally the only things that needed fixing for 4K resolution was the HUD, and the main menus.  Nothing else needed to be scaled this aggressively.  Everything else was fine and working at 4K  outside of the main menus.

Edited by Tsukinoki

Not only the UI, but everything looks bad and blurry at 1080p, like I'm playing at a lower resolution. Something went very wrong with this patch, I thought it was only a case of resistance to change but I stopped playing in the middle of the Octavia Quest because I couldn't stand it anymore. The Fov is also weird.

This is with every setting at high. That can't be intended, it looks like a completely different game.

Edited by lukaself

I am using a 4k screen and after todays update the menu's are massive, there are litrally sections overlapping each other. The menus also seem to be blurry.

The ingame hud seems to be fine it just seems to be the menus.

It is so bad it was making me feel sick, i found switching off motion blur helped a bit but its still near impossible to use. Any ideas on how to fix this would be great.

U4AqVIf.jpg

That boxes are now so little compared to the previous we have. Also this happens when someone invite you, the massage toforce start a mission or declined, trying to leave a squad I make doble clikin the window(so I make the game window smart) instead of clocking on profile and then leave.

IItofAm.jpg
Im on 4K, this is &#!. i want my old UI size back.
the only parts of the UI that isnt god dam broken is the Foundry/Arsenal/Mods/Main Menus.
Everything else is way god dam to big.

I know that for some people there 4K screen sizes are normal.... but this is god dam horrid.

5 minutes ago, hopeofhell1 said:

Im on 4K, this is &#!. i want my old UI size back.
the only parts of the UI that isnt god dam broken is the Foundry/Arsenal/Mods/Main Menus.
Everything else is way god dam to big.

I know that for some people there 4K screen sizes are normal.... but this is god dam horrid.

Agree completely.

When I tried 4K in game before this patch my only complaints were the main menus and health/shields being too small.  Everything else was fine.
But for some reason they decided to aggressively scale everything to the point that at 4K resolution you have less screenspace and things are more cluttered than at 1440x900.

Someone goofed up somewhere and hopefully they scale it back down  outside of the menus.

The current state of the UI actually gives me headaches.

Edited by Tsukinoki

1 hour ago, RyanCooper101 said:

U20 = My HUD is DEAD, My contrast / fov settings are DEAD.

Awaiting Hotfix

12 minutes ago, CJBael said:

It looks bloody awful at 1080p, looks like the U.I., it's like a child's book with huge text but is blurry, this U20 has me not even wanting to play, so much gone wrong with it :(

51 minutes ago, Amontadillo said:

Everything is way too big, blurry, and with things overlapping, on 1920*1080, and my friend at 1280*1084 has major problems now as well thanks to this change. Definitely needs some fixing or reverting.

56 minutes ago, kusaku said:

I am using a 4k screen and after todays update the menu's are massive, there are litrally sections overlapping each other. The menus also seem to be blurry.

The ingame hud seems to be fine it just seems to be the menus.

It is so bad it was making me feel sick, i found switching off motion blur helped a bit but its still near impossible to use. Any ideas on how to fix this would be great.

If everyone could please attach the 'worst case scenario' screenshots to the posts as well it'd be enormously helpful - visual examples would be greatly appreciated.