Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Best Defense - Melee Creation Contest!

[DE]Megan

1 hour ago, FSH37 said:

I know I already put my thing in but I re-did my design. Hopefully this looks better.

(This is kinda closer to what I intended.)

tumblr_omukw8P0OG1vy4jwio1_540.png

Now if anyone didn't see the story on this weapon, here's the story.

The Mollsaka was designed and used in some of the older days of the Grineer. Used as a means of defense. Now it is in the hands of the Tenno.

So yeah this is a Grineer faction weapon. It deals high slash and puncture. It's kind of like the Nikana in terms of how it's wielded and all too.

As it is a more Katana  based weapon, much like the Nikana.

The downside to this weapon however is that it's slightly slower in swing speed compared to the Nikana. But it deals more damage and well, more crit damage. The crit chance is the same though.

Status chance is slightly higher too.

So yeah, not hoping for this to win but hoping at least this gets mentioned. <:3

(I'm not great at weapon designs so this is more of a rough thing than anything else.)

Not gonna lie and say this is an amazing drawing. Sorry. At this stage of learning/starting to draw, what you need are some (sometimes harsh) criticisms. Not empty praises. Nothing more poisonous than empty praises.

But I can appreciate the fact that you are keeping at it. and that shows potential. and compared to the last image you drew, I can say you are improving and you show that you care.

few pointers for future drawings or if you decide to improve this further. Pardon me, but I used your image and edited them to show what I mean

Spoiler

1. You really want a background that is neutral or muted so your actual drawing, the concept, stands out. You can use a flashy background that you put effort into in order to "advertise" your concept. However, if you cant commit to it, the thing that you should concentrate on is to give a clean and readable presentation. Right now your dark red background makes your dark red grip hard to see. What I usually do is put a grey-ish background unless I have something better. In this case, however, your blade is grey. So the background grey would be slightly tinged with a bit of blue which is a hue that isnt on your weapon and thus makes your concept stand out more.
001041dae2.jpg
You are sacrificing a "fancy" background so you can have your actual drawing pop. You could also just leave it white but I personally find it too bright and harsh to the eye. And it also dims any highlights that you might put on the concept.

2. You say your weapon is nikana based. But the way it is drawn makes me think it is a dagger. To both help with hitbox estimation and also to help design, you can also draw the concept over a pre-existing weapon so you can estimate the size better.
3f54953294.jpg

Doesn't have to be the exact same size, but it helps sell the concept when the proportions are closer to the end product. I don't know what kind of program you use but for that, I just used crop, copy and paste for the edit.

3. I feel like you need more Grineer shape. What I did was look at some of the Grineer weapons and their shapes and pick some out that I might like. And then emulate that into few parts of the weapon
8d7065f9c8.jpg

I dont want to elaborate too much just in case I am cutting in on a concept you might be already doing but that is the basic idea. Grineer tech is characterised by hard flat industrial metal surfaces and round organic shapes. So I am trying to incorporate that into the design to set me off in the right direction.

Now I may have used my tablet pen to draw it but you can do this with just your phone, pen and paper. Just scribble the shape, take a photo of it and then crop and cut it into your drawing. At the very least, you can throw in shapes on MSpaint to approximate shapes. MS paint is clunky but it gets where you need to go if you put time into it
c967280723.jpg
After basic shapes, you can try refining the shapes to your liking. I am still using MSpaint to show anyone can really do it, if they have the patience and the idea. 
fd50947325.jpg

So you just rinse and repeat that process. Plop down shape. Refine. Plop down shape. Refine.

After refining to a shape that you like, they you polish it.

I hope that helps a little.

Edited by tentacleface762

warframe_melee_contest_by_olkin_lex-db2c

Faction : Tenno

Grip: Rapier

Description : Forged by similar ether matter with an unknown organic materials like cloth around the raw energy ore create a sharp and focus high-energy emitter, it's alternate fire switch charged up and change from tip to heel into a javelin/lance and fire in high velocity strong enough pierce through shield and armor, while the cloth is regenerating, the weapon became lighter and the remain matter create a transparent like materials that able to cut through fleshy targets. 

Edited by acezero

Cephstus [Cephalopod + Cestus]

Faction: Tenno
Brief Description: Gauntlets.  Tenno designed biotic weapons based on cephalopods.  Any basic element modded in gives additional effects when striking, or with idle charge up at the cost of energy.

(fire = buildup to blind / bonus distance on charges and bullet jump) (cold = freeze / area chill) (electric = incredible range / speed increase and seamless travel to ziplines) (toxic = toxic clouds / invisibility)

Original Artwork: 

Z2h7GBM.png

Faction : Corpus

Brief Description : Stolen by Tenno from the Corpus, this equipment is originally used for exploring icy region in Europa. It uses sparring type grip and overwhelm the enemy with its speed and electricity that stuns them, thus increasing chance of survival in fast paced battles. Pativa will emits more electricity when channeling, increasing mobility and attacks. (Might use skating-like animation)
It would use stances that utilize kicks, spins, and slides.

9GlmBDi.jpg

On 03/03/2017 at 1:00 PM, [DE]Megan said:

HOW TO UPLOAD PHOTOS:

Step One: Upload the image file to an image-hosting site like imgur.

Step Two: Right click on the image and select "Copy Image Location". Please make sure you do this instead of copying the website URL for a clean upload.

Reveal hidden contents

Step Three: Copy and paste the URL into your forum post and the image will be automatically embedded!

Step Four: Submit your comment! (or don't, I'm not here to tell you how to live)

Hopefully this helps!

Added a "How to upload photos" section!

Hopefully this will help any of you who are confused on how to submit your entries. :) 

3 hours ago, (PS4)big_eviljak said:

Scourge of winter https://imgur.com/a/52BaK

Faction: Tenno

Grip: Nunchaku

Brief description: This is the Scourge of Winter...Flail of Reckoning. Initially its a impact/puncture based weapon with high status chance and descent attk speed. In the event of a critical hit...it grows another ball and chain and inflicts 30% more channeling damage with guaranteed cold proc when channeling for 10 secs.

ba34dc7a90.jpg

flail.jpg

Its a real shame that people go through so much effort with filters and such to hide the original image, in order to deceive other people...no. not even that. It is so obvious of a filter that people cant possibly confuse it for actual drawing.
cbfa954707.png
Instead of that, you could have just spend 5 extra min and draw the thing on FOR REAL MSpaint using a mouse. with just line and brush tool. with better effects. and more readability.

I am not trying to toot my horn that I found it. and I am not trying to rain on someone else's parade. I just think its generally a rude gesture to cheat like this at a friendly, community orientated contest.

Spoiler

To everyone else, I keep on bringing up MSpaint in my posts. I honestly am not having a go at how bad and crappy it is. I am not putting down people for using it. 

I am just trying to show how even the most basic pixel edit program such as MSpaint can go a long way if one puts the effort and apply a set technique/workflow and persevere through it, spending the time to learn the tool.

Now apply that effort to graphics editing programs that are much better and MUCH better at these things than MSpaint. Try GIMP. Try Paint Tool SAI. Try google search, see what you like. Try photoshop on your school computer, see if you like it. Try Flash in your IT class.

Edited by tentacleface762

(suggested) Weapon Name : Flamar
Faction : Grineer
Type : Gunblade
It would be a " Hilt " only, but when attacking it'd be like a Sword. could be stored as a Glaive, or Polearm. The common attacks would be swings of a fire "blade", charged attacks throw a fireball, attacks such as Bullet Dance ones would be smaller fireballs, I guess.
Sorry but I have no concept art for it :(

Faction:  Tenno

Description:  This pair sais is a fast melee utilizing a Dual Daggers Stance.  The stats on this weapon would generally be on the low to medium side, not being apparently strong in slash, puncture, or impact damage, but is compensated with a special perk;  the Tenno would regenerate a set amount of energy upon a successful critical hit.  

aZX2WFe.jpg

Edited by (PS4)ceejmr333
Photo link correction

Name: Anything, im not good with names

Faction: Grineer

Type: Greatsword

Description: Chainsaw Greatsword, do i need to say more? ok... it goes buzz buzz and chop stuff, lots of blood, lots of slash dmg, lots of status chance perhaps?

Grineer%20Chainsaw%20Greatsword_zpsqv65v

and a quick "montage"

Grineer%20Chainsaw%20Greatsword%20Montaj

Here's my old forgotten thread wich wasnt very popular... anyway, feel free to steal my ideas (DE)

Hi!! :D

I made a Kuva themed melee weapon (Cuz why not? ^^)

Anyways... The sketch I made by hand and then transferred it to illustrator

Hand drawing-

9Uhedek.jpg

And here is the illustrator drawing-

hc6Hh2A.png

Please tell me if I missed something :D

Edited by KseniGirl

2 hours ago, tentacleface762 said:

ba34dc7a90.jpg

flail.jpg

Its a real shame that people go through so much effort with filters and such to hide the original image, in order to deceive other people...no. not even that. It is so obvious of a filter that people cant possibly confuse it for actual drawing.
cbfa954707.png
Instead of that, you could have just spend 5 extra min and draw the thing on FOR REAL MSpaint using a mouse. with just line and brush tool. with better effects. and more readability.

I am not trying to toot my horn that I found it. and I am not trying to rain on someone else's parade. I just think its generally a rude gesture to cheat like this at a friendly, community orientated contest.

Reveal hidden contents

To everyone else, I keep on bringing up MSpaint in my posts. I honestly am not having a go at how bad and crappy it is. I am not putting down people for using it. 

I am just trying to show how even the most basic pixel edit program such as MSpaint can go a long way if one puts the effort and apply a set technique/workflow and persevere through it, spending the time to learn the tool.

Now apply that effort to graphics editing programs that are much better and MUCH better at these things than MSpaint. Try GIMP. Try Paint Tool SAI. Try google search, see what you like. Try photoshop on your school computer, see if you like it. Try Flash in your IT class.

Im 100% mobile dude. I cant do crap on this phn like a pc , but wanted to participate, and im not cheating. I just dont kno how else im supposed to make a post. I cant even upload a picture.

Pat urself on the back for being a jerk. Great job.

Edited by (PS4)big_eviljak