The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

keybinding for slide attack (macro)

--CoB--Sorrow

Question

Hello guys, i searched into the forum to find an answer to my question and didnt find anything usefull.

i want to bind to my mouse/keyboard a macro that presses ctrl+e because my hand gets really tired when it comes to slide attacks.

some say its bannable and some say its not. what do you guys think? am i in any danger if i try and use this kind of macro?

10 answers to this question

The devs have been intentionally ambiguous on this. The general consensus is that macros that "simplify" controls for you (e.g. pressing a single button for CTRL+E) is okay, but macros that effectively play the game for you are bannable. Keep in mind, though, that while DE is unlikely to ban you just for combining two buttons into one, they still do have the right to ban you for it.

Also, brace yourself for other forumers coming into this thread and collectively crapping on your playstyle instead of answering the question.

Edited by SortaRandom

3 minutes ago, DenialBroh said:

Why would you get banned by that? Its just a shortcut to ease your life, kinda like a mouse with turbo.

The problem is that it's easy to exploit. Without any macro it is quite difficult to spam slide attacks the entire mission with any speed. But with a proper macro it is possible to spam slide attacks at an insane speed that totally breaks any balance these weapons might have. The Telos Boltace is the most obvious example, but not the only one. Macro users often use that weapon to cheese high-level missions with ease, moving very fast and melting heavy units regardless of level. It also tends to blind other players and cut those players out of the mission, so a lot of people really hate this tactic. Since it can clearly be used as an exploit, it is potentially bannable.

The reason that DE doesn't want to come out and say that it is bannable is that some players have physical problems with pressing multiple keys at the same time. These players often depend on macros do do things that players are supposed to be able to do, for example quick-melee slide attacks. DE doesn't want to alienate these players.

I would say that a macro that simply presses crouch and attack at the same time is fine, while a macro that continually presses those keys at extremely high speed is exploitative. The first one makes your life easier, the second allows you to break weapon balance and ruin the mission for other players in the process. Just try to be mindful of other player's experiences, and try not to spam it to the point where nobody can play or even see. As far as I know, DE will not ban you for using a two-button multikey.

Just now, SortaRandom said:

The devs have been intentionally ambiguous on this. The general consensus is that macros that "simplify" controls for you (e.g. pressing a single button for CTRL+E) is okay, but macros that effectively play the game for you are bannable. Keep in mind, though, that while DE is unlikely to ban you just for combining two buttons into one, they still do have the right to ban you for it.

Also, brace yourself for other forumers coming into this thread and collectively crapping on your playstyle instead of answering the question.

First of all, thanx for the fast and informative answers.Indeed DE aren't clear on that topic but i think i will take my chances on this one and use the ctrl+e macro atleast when im get tired enough.Im ready for any criticism but im not the type of guy that spams slides with atterax or t.boltace anyway :P

Just now, Azrael said:

The problem is that it's easy to exploit. Without any macro it is quite difficult to spam slide attacks the entire mission with any speed. But with a proper macro it is possible to spam slide attacks at an insane speed that totally breaks any balance these weapons might have. The Telos Boltace is the most obvious example, but not the only one. Macro users often use that weapon to cheese high-level missions with ease, moving very fast and melting heavy units regardless of level. It also tends to blind other players and cut those players out of the mission, so a lot of people really hate this tactic. Since it can clearly be used as an exploit, it is potentially bannable.

The reason that DE doesn't want to come out and say that it is bannable is that some players have physical problems with pressing multiple keys at the same time. These players often depend on macros do do things that players are supposed to be able to do, for example quick-melee slide attacks. DE doesn't want to alienate these players.

I would say that a macro that simply presses crouch and attack at the same time is fine, while a macro that continually presses those keys at extremely high speed is exploitative. The first one makes your life easier, the second allows you to break weapon balance and ruin the mission for other players in the process. Just try to be mindful of other player's experiences, and try not to spam it to the point where nobody can play or even see. As far as I know, DE will not ban you for using a two-button multikey.

I forgot to clarify that my macro isn't a repeatable one,its just a one time thing.Also im aware about how keybinding in exploitable way can ruin everyone's fun so i will try to use as less as possible

9 minutes ago, xsorrow94 said:

I forgot to clarify that my macro isn't a repeatable one,its just a one time thing.Also im aware about how keybinding in exploitable way can ruin everyone's fun so i will try to use as less as possible

Yeah, I think you're totally fine then. And thank you for being considerate.  :)

I actually have a crouch + melee keybind on my mouse, but I rarely use it. It's mostly for the occasional quick-melee slide attack, since my keybinds are not the defaults and doing that attack is often somewhat awkward for me. My hands are often really tired or sore when I play, so it helps. But I never spam slides or try to exploit it, because at that point why are you even playing?  :)

Just now, Urlan said:

This topic comes up a bit because as Chipputter said, its somewhat vaguely talked about by DE. This topic might help.

Its from a bit ago, but I hope that helps.

As far as i understand from this topic, using macros in a non exploitable way is fine and the keybind i want to use its simplest i can think off so i think i'm fine :)

Just now, Azrael said:

Yeah, I think you're totally fine then. And thank you for being considerate.  :)

I actually have a crouch + melee keybind on my mouse, but I rarely use it. It's mostly for the occasional quick-melee slide attack, since my keybinds are not the defaults and doing that attack is often somewhat awkward for me. My hands are often really tired or sore when I play, so it helps. But I never spam slides or try to exploit it, because at that point why are you even playing?  :)

You are totally right! Thanks again for your answers. Cya all in the WF battlefield tennos