The Second Stream Podcast: Mulling Melee, Clan comments, & other discussions!

[DE]Drew

The Second Stream Podcast  

709 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like an enemy or enemies who require more tactical melee combat?

• Yes, give me more reason to master melee.
    • Maybe - depends on the mechanics/situation.
    • No, you've been playing too much For Honor.
    • Other (post an explanation below).
    • No opinion on this topic.
  2. 2. What interests you *most* about new melee weapons?

• Interesting mechanics
    • Cool design
    • Viable stats
    • Other (post an explanation below)
  3. 3. In your opinion, how difficult should the participation reward(s) be to obtain in Clan events?

• Easy to obtain. (minimal participation required)
    • Somewhat easy to obtain.
    • Moderately difficult to obtain.
    • Difficult to obtain. (full participation required)
    • There shouldn't be any participation rewards.
  4. 4. In your opinion, how difficult should the competitive reward(s) be to obtain in Clan events?

• Easy to obtain (very little competition)
    • Somewhat easy to obtain.
    • Moderately difficult to obtain.
    • Difficult to obtain. (highly competitive)
    • There shouldn't be any competitive rewards.
  5. 5. How much time do you think you'll spend using the "photo booth" feature?

• A lot of time.
    • Some time.
    • A little time.
    • No time.
  6. 6. Do you think Wraith items should be recolorable?

• Yes, don't limit my Fashionframe!
    • No, keep the look iconic!
    • Other (post an explanation below).

This poll is closed to new votes

1. No.  I would like tactical melee to be more effective against normal enemies.  Right now I have exactly two reasons to block:  I'm playing Saryn and it's a reasonable defense, or I'm messing around with the Silva & Aegis.  Channelling is a mess, especially with things like Life Strike getting worse as you rank it up.  You've actually done a great job making a variety of weapons and melee tactics viable with the newest melee mods, but there's a lot of weird old stuff hanging around.
  2. I want new weapons to be distinct from old weapons.  Not just a  2x4 with new Grineer art.
  3. I'm in a Ghost Clan with 6 members, 5 active.  But I know that the larger a clan gets, the harder to organize participation.   Have mercy.
  4. More competition!
  5. Eh?  I usually want to take pictures of things in missions, but it could be useful.
  6. YES.  It would be one thing if they were Wraith skins, but they're distinct weapons with their own stats.  Better than the original!  We shouldn't have to be confined to one color scheme to be effective.

2. What interests you *most* about new melee weapons?

The feeeeeeel of the weapon. Of course I love the look of the weapon, but I play with the Ninkondi for 2 reasons; the feel of swinging two rods tied together with a chain and bapping foes left and right (pretty much the same time), and, of course, numbchuuucks are sweet and cool looking!

Also, I love finishers on foes, but when a finisher takes on average 5 seconds, is there a way where, for example I use Excals radial blind on a bunch of enemies, I don't want to be doing single finishers on each of them to get the cool look. Can we incorporate group finishing on a crowd of incapacitated enemies? Kinda like Assassins Creed will take out 2 or 3 people at a time when the positioning is close enough. The programming is probably complicated, but I wouldn't know really. I don't even have a clue what "scripts" even mean when you mention that in update announcements.

Thanks!

1. The idea is very intriguing, as a fan of melee I do like getting stuck into things but I often feel it lacks... well, almost everything.  Feels like I'm waving at the air until they fall over, or trying to fill a 'quota' of button presses for each enemy, rather than figuring out how best to eliminate them.  But for a horde-killing game, you're going to have to moderate this like crazy so it doesn't ruin the flow, whether it be some dynamic system that scales melee difficulty as necessary or only one or two types of enemies that you benefit from tangling in melee rather than dropping a tactical nuke on their face with any number of abilities/guns.

3. A bit of a loaded topic, that I'd like to redirect to examining the paradigm behind clan events and such; examining why you're creating this event in the first place.
Should a clan be participating purely because they want the carrot, or should they be participating because it's something the clan can do together?  Carrots are nice, but they do tend to complicate motivations, which can confuse the design of the thing in the first place.  Mixing the groups that want the reward and the groups that want the clan road trip could result in frustrations.

I love tactical combat games, such as Monster Hunter or Dark Souls. That said, Warframe's melee combat is the exact opposite of that. The combo system, the marginal/short cues for enemy attacks and the general gameplay of Warframe are all the opposite of what you'd expect from a tactical melee gameplay. If a tactical version gets implemented, it should get its own mission, probably with different mechanics compared to normal missions.

While these surveys are great, I think the mix of answers from veterans and newer players gives a really vague idea of what people want in what stages of the game, for example I think a lot players that enjoy fashion frame would be interested in the photo booth, but this survey shows that more than 50% will spend little to no time on there while considerable resources went to making that thing happen. While it's a cool feature I think the big big majority of the veteran players would much rather have interesting new content. While still voting that they'd spend a lot or some time in there.
So perhaps keep in mind the different phases people are in the game.

Edited by iTrust

Photo Booth

Although the Photo Booth did look cool in the Dev Stream I just could not think of a reason why I personally would ever use it. But then it just hit me. What if we could use the photos we took in the photo booth as the images for the display posters on our ship? That would be super awesome and definitely give me a reason to be excited about this project.

I don't recall anyone mentioning the displays on stream or in the podcast so whats the answer DE? Will we be able to make our own images for the displays using the photo booth? Please say yes. :heart:

1. Would you like an enemy or enemies who require more tactical melee combat?

I'm not entirely sure about all of that as I didn't listened to that topic. Either way, you must remember that Warframe is essentially a shooter game and a system seems to work best when in a 1v1 fight. To me the game is already good as it is.

2 - What interests you *most* about new melee weapons?

All of the above!!! :)

3 & 4 - In your opinion, how difficult should the participation/competitive reward(s) be to obtain in Clan events?

To me it doesn't quite matter, my current clan has almost no active members, only myself.

5 - How much time do you think you'll spend using the "photo booth" feature?

I'll see how it goes when it's out.

6 - Do you think Wraith items should be recolorable?

Yup! Wraith and Vandal weapons are so boring that you can't recolour them which was something that made me not like to have them at all, except for one that I have in my Arsenal. But realistically those guys should be recolourable, especially considering the whole "Fashionframe" that has been around for quite some time. I get that I'm not from a time where things were different but I know for a fact that Wraith and Vandal weapons were never recolourable before.

Edited by JackMcRain

Number 4 is vague. Are you referring to the top 10% reward or to the "Victory" reward. I wholeheartedly agree with the 10% reward and think that is a really cool way to encourage competition amongst clans, but when "Victory" is harder to obtain than "Competitive", there is an issue.

well I think enemies that are uniquely melee based would be sort of forced and restrictive towards players if I had a preference I'd like enemies that are almost manic like so that they would close in possibly from random directions or give the enemies the ability to reflect long range attacks to make melee preferable. Also I think there should be less enemies that are stronger, also by stronger I do mean that the enemies would be comparable to warframes with decent AI like in rathummm!!