Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nyx Assimilate fix is a massive nerf

Treebiter

So, for anyone who doesn't play Nyx or hasn't seen the 19.13.0 patch notes, Nyx's Assimilate augment has been 'fixed' so that it absorbs friendly fire like Absorb does.

Fine on paper. However...

For me, and a lot of other Nyx players I've talked to, Assimilate's primary purpose is to tank. It's a shield. It allows Nyx to soak up a lot of damage, and has some cool synergies with self-damage weapons, guardian derision and Ack & Brunt's electromagnetic shielding. It's a powerful abilitiy, and the only thing other than Chaos that makes Nyx stand out. In fact, without Assimilate, Nyx degenerates into a one-trick pony.

The problem with this fix is that it massively hobbles Assimilate to the point of near-uselessness in many situations. For one, it's very easy to pop the assimilate bubble by accident, but in addition, it's also possible to for another player to troll a Nyx by actively removing their assimilate bubble by firing upon it. Not only does this remove their main form of defence, it also leaves them without any energy - in short, dead.

If any one from DE reads this, I implore you to rethink this decision. One of the nice things about augment abilities is how they alter the base ability. Leave Absorb as the damage soaking mini-nuke, and return Assimilate to it's rightful place as a defensive shield. As someone who mains Nyx, if I wanted to deal a crap-ton of direct damage to my enemies, I'd use a different frame.

I'd be interested to hear other people's thought on this, especially fellow Nyx players.

Thanks for reading.

It really highlights the design flaw in Absorb when it comes to storing damage draining additional energy for going over a threshold.

Why was it made possible for players to empty out a Nyx's entire energy pool by shooting their weapons with OP damage to "help" charge up Absorb explosion damage? I'm sure there are better ways to address Nyx sitting AFK forever in Absorb/Assimilate than this.

Well now you all you need to do is not stand in your allies line of fire and you should be fine.

You might say 'they should reposition to not hit me' to which i say if youre going to place yourself between my Kohm and a crowd im about to reduce to mulch then you, frankly, deserve what you get.

In the meantime if you want to facetank then get an Ice Chroma and biuld for 200+% power strength. Or if you want to keep playing Nyx then get Chaos Sphere and max out power range.

13 minutes ago, SeaUrchins said:

Nyx needs a rework.

/thread

In my opinion, prior to this 'fix', the only thing about Nyx that required rework was her Psychic Bolts ability. Now however, as others have stated, the reasons for playing Nyx have decreased significantly. Of all the frames that perhaps needed a nerf, Nyx wasn't one of them. Nyx doesn't wipe a level clean like a WOF Ember, and it doesn't lock-down a map like a max-range and efficiency Banshee can. Assimilate gave it a nice niche that was powerful, but not overpowered.

Even with Assimilate on and allies see me walking with this giant bubble around me, they still shoot me out of habit. The bad apples out there will flip and turn when they hear Absorb starts until they spot poor Nyx and make sure she runs dry. There's no denying the bad design in this ability's execution, and the excuses for workarounds left to the mercy of player behaviour.

6 minutes ago, Dualstar said:

Well now you all you need to do is not stand in your allies line of fire and you should be fine.

You might say 'they should reposition to not hit me' to which i say if youre going to place yourself between my Kohm and a crowd im about to reduce to mulch then you, frankly, deserve what you get.

In the meantime if you want to facetank then get an Ice Chroma and biuld for 200+% power strength. Or if you want to keep playing Nyx then get Chaos Sphere and max out power range.

Try playing with a Nova on your team. My assimilate bubble lasted all of five seconds and I was nowhere near her. Also, there are plenty of situations where 'giving space' isn't possible, like Kuva syphons in tight areas.

Ran Akkad with a Nova in the party - watched my energy go from 700 to 0 in about 5 seconds.  The explosions seems to count towards friendly damage to shield.  I've never seen energy disappear so fast.

Players do SO much more damage than NPCs, that its laughable how quickly a player can knock out a nyx energy.   If this was indeed a bug all along, then perhaps reduce the damage and or energy drain to a smaller ratio - maybe 25%. 

But really, I dont think anything was wrong before.  I never found it unbalanced as you traded invincibility for slow movement, etc.

As it stands, this has made nyx unplayable in a party.   Energy just disappears way to quickly.

IMO, this is a change that needs to be reversed.  Or certainly readdressed.

Edit: Vauban Vortex also bad; big energy drain if you stand too close

Edited by Asherax

Yes please. The fix for this ability isn't allowing friendly fire on it, the fix would be removing this unwanted feature of Nyx's ult. Limbo can't force teammates to stay in the rift anymore, and Volt can't force teammates to use his speed buff anymore. So why oh why, would we allow teammates to sap Nyx's energy at a absurdly high rate?

So you want to help Nyx, DE?

Here, have a whole list of bugs and suggestions about her that I've been posting about for months now to no avail:

I know you think you are "fixing" things and that you like to make changes based on what you think is right, but you should honestly give your community more credit. Don't make changes people don't ask for. Your community are your playtesters, listen to what they think is most important.

I've been playing this patch today, and my full energy pool while using Assimilate is obliterated instantly by my allies, whether intentional by them or not. This is literally the only augment that is keeping Nyx alive in more difficult missions, and it just got #*($%%@ over in one patch. I desperately hope you reconsider this change because at this point I'm on the verge on giving up on Nyx as a Warframe entirely.

Edited by OmniXVII

Assimilate Nyx, meet Miragemulor.

*Nyx dies*

Brilliant "fix." Please revert.

How did this "fix" even get shipped? Did no one point out the potential for Nyx players to get trolled - intentionally or not - with the implementation of this change to Assimilate?

Seems to me that the Assimilate augment has been rendered rather useless by this fix.  Given that friendly fire can so quickly pop an Absorb/Assimilate bubble, what, then, is the point in being able to move around at all?

Edit:

Does the Zenistar disk count as friendly fire?  If so, does the gas+stealth combo work on Assimilate and vaporize it instantly?

Edited by FlinttheImmortal

Well, this "fix" is a huge mistake, imho.

We had an opportunity to gain some tactical advantage with sacrificed mobility. That revealed potential in teaming, co-working etc. The sence of Assimilate mod is gone now.
Nyx has never been a musthave in party frame, now there is litterally next to zero use of her in a party. Oh yes, we still have Chaos, the only ability to cast on purpose. By the way- let's make it use energy per each second of chaos active with accumulating consumption like Valkyr's Histeria - that also makes us close to NOT PLAYING my poor Nyx ever.

Frustrated. Another interesting frame is crippled and reduced to one-trick-pony.