Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nyx Assimilate fix is a massive nerf

Treebiter

A fix is supposed to correct a problem.

Nyx is criminally underused, Assimilate comes out, and suddenly she can contribute something more to the team than Chaos. It's still a rare occurrence to run into a Nyx in a pub, but you'd see one or two, here and there.

Now? The first prime frame I got is back to having one helpful ability. Instead of being able to rez in terrible spots or save a defense target at the last second, she's back to spamming 3 over and over.

The "bugged" Assimilate was the fix for Nyx, this is a nerf or poor research. DE, don't send Nyx back into the bottom rung of of the most used list. Everything else that's been coming out has been aimed at getting people to use different things, and this is a step in the wrong direction.

The Assimilate mod is what made me play Nyx. Her Chaos isn't worth it alone since I just use Loki for Irradiating Disarm. This nerf completely undermines the point of the mod which is to offer another playstyle to make her not a one trick pony. #MakeAssNyxGreatAgain

Edited by CherryPauper

cool, now nyx have only ONE usable skill, Chaos.

Mind Control has a lot of bugs and doesn't do much because of the dumb AI

Psychic Bolts has almost no damage and it costs a lot of energy to cast

and now Absorb is practically useless.

thanks DE!

This is the world famous FIX THAT NERFS !!!

This change would make ANY sense if there was any soul in planet earth that was using Assimilate with a specific strategy to charge the bubble.

I can only imagine: Listen guys, here is the strategy, I enter in absorb and you guys charge it ok? After some time, I will be out of energy but who cares...

Edited by (PS4)lhbuch

I get the change but the fact that this makes Assimilate Nyx a potential trolling target is the real problem so addressing that likely will fix the same issue with any other friendly fire problems.

Luckily I hadn't finished the Sortie yet and there is a Defense mission up - this sets the field for one of my favourite Nyx Assimilate strategies. Hopping in a Defense Shotgun-Only Sortie with my 'Terminator Nyx' to protect the Ally after this change was the perfect testing ground for me - especially in Public matchmaking where you're never sure what others will bring to the table.

I'm conflicted about what I found - I expected to see the sky falling, especially with a full Public team with Shotguns! With my Assimilate build, I was still able to maintain Godmode Assimilate for each wave, stopping in between to hustle for drops and stock up on energy. I only removed my '4' in combat once to run to a fallen Squad mate to quickly reactivate it.

When the final Wave hit things got a little hairy - as they should - and I had to adapt with quick movements and Energy restock, only losing my Absorb once.

Is more testing necessary? Absolutely - that goes for everyone in this thread who has claimed we've ruined something that they themselves have not tried out.

It has been a while since Nyx has gone under any serious discussion so we'll see how far we can open this door based on the constructive feedback that takes place.

An excuse to play even more Nyx though? Sign me up.

1 minute ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

It has been a while since Nyx has gone under any serious discussion so we'll see how far we can open this door based on the constructive feedback that takes place.

Hmm, are you suggesting a chance at touch ups? I hope her 2 gets a pass too, it feels... *sigh*

Although on the other hand this is going to be busy for you guys: Oberon/Hydroid are very candidates for Primes, Chroma's Deluxe, Limbo warping up, Zephyr being another possible candidate later this year...

I hope you clone Scott or something.

47 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Luckily I hadn't finished the Sortie yet and there is a Defense mission up - this sets the field for one of my favourite Nyx Assimilate strategies. Hopping in a Defense Shotgun-Only Sortie with my 'Terminator Nyx' to protect the Ally after this change was the perfect testing ground for me - especially in Public matchmaking where you're never sure what others will bring to the table.

I'm conflicted about what I found - I expected to see the sky falling, especially with a full Public team with Shotguns! With my Assimilate build, I was still able to maintain Godmode Assimilate for each wave, stopping in between to hustle for drops and stock up on energy. I only removed my '4' in combat once to run to a fallen Squad mate to quickly reactivate it.

When the final Wave hit things got a little hairy - as they should - and I had to adapt with quick movements and Energy restock, only losing my Absorb once.

Is more testing necessary? Absolutely - that goes for everyone in this thread who has claimed we've ruined something that they themselves have not tried out.

I would say it should be tested on a non weapon restriction mission. 

Try Kuva farming maybe with Nyx assimilate?

Edited by Madway7

1 hour ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

I played the same mission and my bubble lasted all of five seconds. I think it's going to be highly dependant on who you're playing with and their load outs (and personalities to some extents).

The problem with that is there's now a lack of consistency. On entering a public mission you'll never know how hard a time you're going to have. It's a headache, and one that may over time drive me to play other frames without such issues.

Thanks for dropping in and giving us your thoughts.

I just finished forma'ing my Nyx for assimilate when this change happened and yeah, it is really really bad. 2 out 3 pugs have somebody shooting it just to troll you. What if you could just shoot any other warframe to drain all their energy? Or shoot chroma to debuff his vex armor or shoot rhino to remove his ironskin? This was just a terrible thought to even consider. They should just rename Nyx "Solo Prime".

Edited by Mozer33

Luckily I hadn't finished the Sortie yet and there is a Defense mission up - this sets the field for one of my favourite Nyx Assimilate strategies.

Oh silly Rebecca, but you guys patched it a long time ago and allow us to repeat sortie missions after he already did them once. ; D

On a more related now, the "problem" with this change for me is perhaps the same "problem" I have with the ability itself. Absorbing enemy fire? Great. Absorbing team mates fire? Well, what if they don't want it to be absorbed (which Terminator Nyx helped greatly when you are reviving them and they can clean enemies before they get up so they don't have to run like the sky is falling)? Worse yet, you can troll or get trolled. You can easily make Nyx run out of energy with a high DPS gun by simply shooting at the on purpose.
But sure, it's understandable that viable tactics exist for team mates to charge you up and it also allows the game to balance you out a little by killing your energy by a bit more, even though that can also means penalizing your team with your very existence (because you are blocking their stuff, making them lose ammo). It's not an easy thing to deal with, it's not a thing that will end without victims and it's hard to feel like burning ones hands over this (because honestly Terminator Nyx is just a variant of what Wukong already does without augments, the difference is that you get other 3 CC skills).

Food for thought though, did your teammates actively shoot at you?

I think that's the area that's really worth testing.

Interesting.

As a Nyx main myself, I have actually not had time to play since this came out. What I've gathered from here is that the "Fix" is making the Assimilate bubble use more energy for no good reason. Assimilate make Nyx the ultimate tank, with good crowd control and ultimate survivability. But if players can remove your bubble, even by accident, then Nyx becomes the Solo tank again.

Nyx is fun to play, but the main way I've seen people play it is to go with Range and Efficency. Making it absorb allies' fire is not going to make much of a difference with that kind of build. If it doesn't cost energy when enemies strike the bubble, why does it cost energy when allies do? Are they stealing energy, or what? Ultimately, this is not a very good fix, and a better fix, if you really want the bubble to absorb allied fire, would be to simply leave it as only draining energy as it is toggled on.

I was going to say it could still absorb allied fire, but I had a thought. What if... There was a button or switch that could be used, and the Operator using Nyx could decide if they want the bubble to absorb Allied fire or not. If not, then it would only block enemy fire, and I would presume, protect any players and allies inside from, say a Zarr blast or something. No damage would be added to the bubble unless the player choose it to be that way, so that it can fit their playstyle.

These are just the thoughts I had. I hope they help :)

2 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Large radius AOE weapons like Mirage w/ Simulor inflict tons of friendly fire to her while she is absorbing damage.

There is also now potential for allies to troll Nyx by draining her energy by shooting her.

Any mechanic that gives allies any potential to troll another player should not be a mechanic at all.

Of course, maybe if something interesting was added to Assimilate to make it WORTH shooting at, it could be definitely worthwhile. Maybe it speeds her up the more damage she absorbs? Maybe the AOE of the blast increases? Because as of now nobody uses Assimilate to charge up damage. The AOE of the blast is very small, and all Nyx players run at 40% power strength. It is purely used for being energy efficient shielding, which is now very much less efficient. 

2 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

now this seems logical on paper , when looking at using melee to make yourself lung about to possibly dodge enemy/ally fire to make this last it should be ok , same as how valyks tweaks worked

but those not using an efficiency build  may have a harder time with maintaining it 

bringing her to a cross roads of then are we being forced to use efficiency higher rather then range or another augment to play our character? 

but comparing what ive seen players stream on this to what i on console can do [still good god mode] shows a very large reduction in performance without much return, if allies use things like tonkor or other big damage number weapons nyxs are once again open to ally trolling in this regard. 

if say the augment didnt reduce the range or speed so much it could be noted that would be a fair trade off, or something to that degree 

but thats just my observation of this 

Edited by (XB1)EternalDrk Mako

i really liked how i could just tank in sorties with Nyx and revive allies i use guardian derision and Ack & Brunt's electromagnetic shielding. For the most part i didn't need to deactivate absorb to get to them and when i did i would die. if they want to kill the duration like that at least make it more damage you take you get back your speed or something.

also Nezah safe guard doesn't appear on defense operatives health bar so if your not looking at them you wont know if its still there.

16 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

I was in a pug right after this change came out. I hadn't read all the patch notes so I didn't know about the change. I run a max efficiency assimilate Nyx. A player with a Supra (not sure if it had a riven or not) was trolling me by shooting the bubble. It took less than 5 seconds to remove the bubble. If someone wants to troll you, which happens frequently in pugs, they can very easily do it. I feel like playing more Nyx is the last thing I wanted to do after the change. She is still quite viable solo and *possibly* in a clan or friendly group, provided they are not throwing massive riven AOE around, which is also often the case. With respect, she is absolutely not reliable to play pugs with. It took about 2 minutes to test that.