Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Premium helmets look horrible !!!!!!

MrWednesday

hahah Take angel halo and increase it by 9000!

I just feel like most of the new designs, just... aren't my style I guess. Some of the original stuff looks very sleek, although they have a very futuristic theme, they maintain clean lines. Like Excal, perfect example of the art direction, his overall look flows seamlessly. This new stuff feels really out of place for the most part. I mean who thought it was a good idea to allow a helm to go through with a floating hula hoop? I feel like a futuristic halo concept could have been pulled off, but why try that for a tank type character with frost abilities? I don't know.

Atleast the new Ember helm maintains the original art direction in my eyes. They could very well just be branching out into the wild for people that enjoy really over the top design.

Atleast the new Ember helm maintains the original art direction in my eyes. They could very well just be branching out into the wild for people that enjoy really over the top design.

That's pretty much it. They're trying to cater to a variety of tastes and preferences. Nothing wrong with that really. I personally also prefer the less-is-more approach, but there's absolutely no problem for them to come out more and more diverse designs. Hopefully they'll provide many many more skins/models for each warframe in the days to come.

To me, this piece of official art captures all I love about Warframe, artistically speaking. https://d19xhykha9whxz.cloudfront.net/cdn/farfuture/4mKb7xgNwvl5EwIBxZ49vOejV4wD8_MmdqSyBoi-6CA/mtime:1354550057/sites/default/files/styles/original/public/images/element/%5Bcurrent-user%3Aoriginal%5D/1335416650/TennoFaction.jpg

So I wasn't sure about Excalibur's new helm just going by the store picture. I bought it anyway and I like it even less after seeing it in play. I wish they showed the whole helmet in the store, the top of the blade thing sticking from his forhead is cut off in the market picture and leaves out the fact it extends another few inches and ends in a flaccid tip. It's the only new helmet I really can't get into, which is a shame because it was the one I was looking forwards to most. The ring shapes that seperate the neck from the rest of it also don't flow well with the rest of the model either, and those aren't as apparent in the store picture as well. It's the only new helmet I really dislike, but I'm not too taken by Frost's either.

I think part of the problem is that the warframes don't seem designed to be modular, and that gives them a clean, cohesive look that is compromised a little by adding stuff designed afterwards. I'm still totally on board with the whole component swapping thing, though, and like I said, I'm a fan of most of the helmets created so far.

I think what would be best is a way to preview new components on your warframe before you buy them. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want my platinum back.

I think part of the problem is that the warframes don't seem designed to be modular, and that gives them a clean, cohesive look that is compromised a little by adding stuff designed afterwards.

Yeah, I agree. Also, I intially thought the skin designs would encompass an entire warframe. Which maybe they could consider changing this. If you design a skin around an entire frame, you could carry the same theme throughout. Which I think would help with these helms looking like patchwork.

Edit: Also want to add in the fact that I dislike stats being attached to these helms. DE please give that some more thought as-well.

Edited by Jadus

Yeah, I agree. Also, I intially thought the skin designs would encompass an entire warframe. Which maybe they could consider changing this. If you design a skin around an entire frame, you could carry the same theme throughout. Which I think would help with these helms looking like patchwork.

Edit: Also want to add in the fact that I dislike stats being attached to these helms. DE please give that some more thought as-well.

Entire frame skins require more work. We get more content faster with just the helmets.

Not saying its bad, just saying that separating them has its reasons.

I really want to find another Excaliber user with the new helmet and butt heads like a Rhino beetle. Just need to find a woman warframe to stand on the sidelines and it would make a great screenie!

Name the time and place my good man, and we shall engage in a contest of horn rattling.

I'm curious, are you a fan of his new helmet? It would make me feel better if someone liked it, then I could chalk my distaste for it up to personal preference.

Name the time and place my good man, and we shall engage in a contest of horn rattling.

I'm curious, are you a fan of his new helmet? It would make me feel better if someone liked it, then I could chalk my distaste for it up to personal preference.

I do like it actually, for the aforementioned reason that it reminds me of an armored beetle. Oddly fitting for an offensive frame like Excalibur, and I can see the natural evolution of the original helmet's "stub" to an elongated version like this. I only wish that I could manipulate the black collar color in order to better match my Prime's white armor, but it still looks good, I think at least.

I think they will make new helmet designs in future but I aggre with that, they should try to make better helmets.

This is so subjective. What constitutes as 'better'? If you have nothing that you can actually critique the helmet on, how is it contributing to the conversation? To help the developer team actually point out things that are objectively wrong with the design, not subjectively.

We get it, they are odd shapes and don't make sense. Honestly, none of the warframes make sense from a logical standpoint and they don't all look pretty either. Its just the art style, and this is an expansion of the art style in a different direction.

Express dislike of the direction, AND explain why.

Okay, so I've warmed up to the Excalibur helm. I still think the standard one looks better, but the alt works too. I think I'm feeling all the new helmets at this point. Good job, unknown artist(s)! It's a shame that has to be the title of the primary helmet discussion thread...

I think scorpion tail at Ash's head is not looking good. They are making really good designs but unfortunately premium helmets are not as good as normal helmets. That's what I meant. Im not saying to Warframe staff " you are making so bad designs". I think they do their job really good and I love nearly all designs of Warframe but new helmets and that new two handed sword is not looking good. I know they can do much better designs and that's why Im saying " they could do better. " Designs so important because all of us looking for good designs at whatever we use. Sword, helmet, suit and guns should looking good I think and I hope they will make better things.

I think scorpion tail at Ash's head is not looking good. They are making really good designs but unfortunately premium helmets are not as good as normal helmets. That's what I meant. Im not saying to Warframe staff " you are making so bad designs". I think they do their job really good and I love nearly all designs of Warframe but new helmets and that new two handed sword is not looking good. I know they can do much better designs and that's why Im saying " they could do better. " Designs so important because all of us looking for good designs at whatever we use. Sword, helmet, suit and guns should looking good I think and I hope they will make better things.

This is not better. You are literally saying the same thing, and either way you are not helping them improve at all because this is not giving good feedback.

Edited by G3rman

I think some premium helms look just fine, especially amber and excalibur. Mainly, it boils down to personal preferences if you base it on looks.

However, on certain helmets like Ash's, I feel like it should add some appearance upgrades to the overall warframe as well, to better suit the helmet's... extravagrant looks.

basically what I'm saying is; the premium helms look nice, but some needs the warframe needs to change a little too

besides, I doubt it'd feel "right" to only have the helmets change. Sure would be nice if we get some premium warframe skins too

I mean " scorpion " on our head is not ninja or future design. Ash's helmet should be more different, there should not be dragon, tiger claw, ying yang or scorpion on that helmets, these are basic and bad looking things I think. Ash's helmet should be more subjective in my opinion.

I mean " scorpion " on our head is not ninja or future design. Ash's helmet should be more different, there should not be dragon, tiger claw, ying yang or scorpion on that helmets, these are basic and bad looking things I think. Ash's helmet should be more subjective in my opinion.

"Should be more different", how is one to interpret this?

Subjective? You realize that this literally means 'personal opinion', it is not a way to describe how something should look.

This is not critiquing, you are not saying what is physically wrong with the helmet. Your explanation for why is not sufficient, or understandable either.

How is this thread still going?

Okay so basically to re-summarize, those who really like the alternate helmets most likely appreciate intricate/complicated/outlandish designs. Those who prefer the standard helmets most likely appreciate more minimalist/basic/tame design. With exceptions of course, and there's no reason one cannot like both, neither or some here and some there; I'm just trying to generalize and catagorize.

That's all there is to it: different design directions. And IMO DE is doing a great job at it, giving playeres WILDLY different types of visuals to choose from -- even though I think the majority of the alternate helmets look DOG AWFUL.

See? You can love a particular style while loathing another and still appreciate the fact that they're trying to cater to a spectrum of artistic preferences, which is AWESOME.

Edited by Gestalt

"Should be more different", how is one to interpret this?

Subjective? You realize that this literally means 'personal opinion', it is not a way to describe how something should look.

This is not critiquing, you are not saying what is physically wrong with the helmet. Your explanation for why is not sufficient, or understandable either.

I think he was trying to say the helmets should be more abstract than being based on things such as animals. I don't neccessarily agree, I think the design cues the Scorpion helm takes from its name are subtle enough to blend with rest of the games aesthetics. It's also the only helm I can think of that follows a theme like that.

As far as the designs not conforming to stereotypical ideas of being futuristic, that's a good thing in my eyes, and applies to a lot of other things in the game.

Edited by Sealgaire