Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Spectator Mode

squidd

Before creating this thread, I researched the forums for an existing thread about implementing a spectator mode in Conclave. Beyond the periodic mentions in numerous other threads, I did find one from late last year that was bumped a few months ago, but it seemed to have focused on being an immediate remedy for weeding out cheaters and has quickly fallen off-course. Therefore, if you wish to discuss whether or not cheating/hacking exists or who may be guilty, please do not post about it. This thread will focus strictly on the implementation of a spectator mode within Conclave. I've remade the aforementioned thread in order to streamline thoughts and responses about how a spectator mode can work.

Spectator mode in a game serves three large purposes in my eyes:

• Allow a player to remain connected to a server/match while stepping away from the keyboard for a break or sudden emergency.
  • Provide entertainment/education for onlookers.
  • Grant players the ability to investigate a suspicious player that could be potentially cheating/hacking in some way.

Conclave is in a great position to accept an addition to improve all of these points. I'd like to personally emphasize the second two points. Many players view the game as being split between high-skilled and low-skilled players, with lobbies often resulting in landslide scores. Spectators would be given an opportunity to learn from watching others and asking questions, rather than taking yet another rough beating and not learning anything as a result. This allows for much better growth of the game mode and the Warframe/Conclave community. Also, spectating a player suspected of cheating will provide a much stronger base for recording and reporting to protect the integrity of the game as a whole. Cheaters have been caught and others undoubtedly still flying under the radar, so this absolutely would be a big help in identifying those players in the future and properly reporting them to support. Some players have also expressed an interest in "kill-cams", and while I am personally not interested in them, the addition would be trivial given a native spectator mode.

On the more technical side, I understand this feature would put more stress on the server/host, but I am not a game developer or server host and cannot provide accurate numbers. I do know that the feature has existed in much older games running much older engines. There is also currently a similar feature when a player is killed that displays an overhead view of the killer in real-time. The user-following and/or spectating ability is already there, and taking this a few steps further would be a great leap for the entire game mode. Perhaps a player could even switch between viewing client-style or overhead-style while spectating. That would be pretty cool.

As for how I think spectator mode could be implemented, I'd like to start with server space. The current maximum server size is 8 players, but I believe dedicated server space for spectators added onto the 8 participating players would be a simple solution so servers don't become "full" with 4 players and 4 spectators chatting. (For example, 8 spots for players/spectators and 8 spots for spectators only for a total of 16 possible players connected.) Again, this directly increases stress on a server/host, so I'd really like some knowledgeable input on this idea, possibly from server hosts or developers. I also believe this feature would go hand-in-hand with a proper server browser, which is a feature that has already been well described and written up in this thread and is already known to be a popular requested feature. If we were able to join a server and load into a screen from spectator mode where we are able to select a loadout and join the match instead of awkwardly being tossed in with whatever loadout we recently had selected on another server, I think Conclave would immediately become a much more polished and amazing game mode to benefit the entirety of Warframe.

Please feel free to share your thoughts, ideas and comments on this topic. I believe a proper spectator mode is one feature that would greatly benefit Conclave. If you agree, please drop a comment to show support. Together, we can make positive change happen.

Edited by squidd

20 minutes ago, .Zel said:

Some other games i've played have "Spectator mode", by watching other players in the game i've learned a significant amount. Implementing it in Conclave would be a good idea in my opinion.

Guild Wars had a spectator mode for all their arena matches.  They ran the matches on a 15 minute delay to prevent spectators, who could freely watch any player, from passing on information to friends in the match itself.

Spectators would be given an opportunity to learn from watching others and asking questions, rather than taking yet another rough beating and not learning anything as a result.

Strongly agreed. There was a lot I learned from watching people play, even if it was the short cam of the player that had just killed me, plus it'd be nice to sit back and relax while taking some notes, and would provide some entertainment/learning for newer/interested players.

Fantastic idea.

I also agree with this topic and we need more game modes like interceptions, defense something new conclave community is live and well on all platforms and if DE can show more support in it i feel in the future we can have MLG tournament and clan battles

Edited by (XB1)LYCANPRiM3