Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe OPEN WORLD

highlife13

It is a good idea, actually. But it would have to be an entirely separate game, made from scratch. I am not against the open-world system, because it adds realism and immersion, so it would be a great game, and we all know what DE is capaple of.

Cant stand when someone watches an anime or plays a game and then heads to another game and suddenly wants that game to be like the show or open world game they recently played. And that is exactly what happened. 

Im guessing someone watched a gundam series or played horizon zero dawn...

Just no. 

No.

2 hours ago, (PS4)psycofang said:

"It's not an MMORPG "

its not an "rpg" but it is indeed an mmo and its game structure shares a number of similarities with games like Vindictus.

1-4 - 8 man cells, levels, guilds, instanced missions chosen from a world map, a hub world where players all meet up, events and quests.

etc 

It's not MMO at all. There's nothing massive multiplayer about it. If it were MMO, then we'd be seeing more than 4 or 8 player missions.

3 hours ago, CarrotSalad said:

I never thought it would be a good idea. But Zelda Breath of the wild has had a huge influence to changing my opinion towards how good open world games can be. It needs a full blown physics engine to start with. With weather, AI behavior, temperature, endless day/night and weather cycle. Pretty much everything has an effect on everything else.

• If i shoot off a flame thrower in a forest im expecting it to burn down.
  • If i shoot an enemy in the hand i expect thier gun to fly out of thier hand (or thier hand to fly off).
  • If an enemy runs out of bullets they'll scavenge for ammo. Or another weapon or switch to melee
  • AI needs various daily behavior patterns aswell as food and sleep too. (maybe even drop kids of at school if lore allows).
  • Abiltity to freeze river streams and water with weapons and abilities.
  • Ability to befriend wildlife or manipulate it to attack camps.

If its just going to be another ark/conan survival no thanks lol..

The thing about open world is that open world =/= mmo. It's definitely more about how you approach your gameplay spaces and what you can do in those gameplay spaces. Warframe's tilesets are big enough (if you add in every tile for a given tileset or count up how many tiles spawn during a mission) to consider them open world.

What open world requires is a gameplay experience that feels open and accessible to the player. All the stuff you mentioned isn't a prerequisite for open world. That sounds more like an attempt to be a sort of simulator than open world. Open world doesn't require interaction with every single object. But what it does require is a variety of different objectives that you can complete in one map, that are combat-related and non-combat related. This includes all the mission types we're used to - exterminate, capture, defense, excavation, mobile defense, assassinate, rescue - as well as non-combat objectives such as collecting intelligence pieces from certain areas and obtaining items (not mods, but weapons and cosmetics) from the environment.

Open world is entirely doable in Warframe's current state. The game already has systems in place for multiple objectives; that's pretty much what Spy has (three separate spy objectives), Sabotage has (main sabotage objective plus three cache objectives) and what Assault has (all its various steps to complete the mission). The game already has a system for interacting with characters (look at how we interact with characters at relays). The game already has a precedent for civilian and non-combat AI (look at the relays and the workers on Ceres); all that's required is behavioral AI that makes them run away when shooting starts. The game already has maps with many tiles, making the maps quite large in terms of traversable area. The game already has in-world item collection (Sabotage caches). All of this is what makes up the core of open world. All of this is achievable without turning Warframe into an MMORPG.

For Warframe, open world isn't something that would replace the current mission system. It would be an endgame system separate from the main missions but accessible from the star chart as nodes on planets, kinda like the dark sectors. And it'd be perfect for the Kingpin system imo (take a loot at how AC1 and Ghost Recon Wildlands handle their capture/assassination targets). Basically, you have to do a bunch of different missions (from tailing someone to capturing another to taking down a lieutenant or underboss to destroying something to undermine their operations) in order to get to your capture/assassination target. All of these missions are available in the open world. For Warframe, you could have sets of three or four objectives in one mission, then you extract, then you unlock another set, until you unlock access to your high value target. You take out multiple high value targets, going through the same multi-objective, multi-instance process, until you get to the kingpin, who would also have a multi-objective, multi-instance process required to finally take him/her down. IMO, if the Kingpin system isn't this, then chances are, it'll just be a fancier, more complicated version of the existing Syndicate system, which would make for a lackluster gameplay experience.

TL;DR - Open world is about the gameplay experience, not about what genre the game is in or about how many players are in one lobby. Open world is entirely possible within Warframe's current structure. It's a logical next step for Warframe's gameplay, and something that I think is key to developing a good endgame for Warframe. I also think it's crucial for a successful Kingpin system that is something deeper than just a bunch of Assassinate and Capture missions that are linked together. I know Warframe players here are notorious for being closed-minded to Warframe expanding its current gameplay scope, but open world isn't something that is incompatible with Warframe, nor is it something that will turn the game into drastically different kind of game. It's merely a way to make Warframe more immersive, its environments more interactive, and its missions more varied, involved, and challenging.

Edited by A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n

This has been discussed dozens of times over the years and the answer is No.

An open world would require them to make the entire solar system and every planet and moon within it which is absolutely insane specially since it would have to be populated.

Now more realistically asking for bigger maps? That is what the Kuva fortress was, DE trying to combine modes and give us a much larger map to play on.

Im not a fan of mmorpg formula which gets boring and repetitive just like this game currently is. 

But I would love to explore Warframes universe and imagine the different planets and environments by myself or with my friends. Flying around or having land vehicles, building land bases. 

But this is Warframe, I doubt at the speed this game is expanding we will even reach to that extent in 10 years. But who says we cant keep dreaming while hoping Destiny 2 isnt garbo. 

4 hours ago, GKDK said:

Im not a fan of mmorpg formula which gets boring and repetitive just like this game currently is. 

But I would love to explore Warframes universe and imagine the different planets and environments by myself or with my friends. Flying around or having land vehicles, building land bases. 

But this is Warframe, I doubt at the speed this game is expanding we will even reach to that extent in 10 years. But who says we cant keep dreaming while hoping Destiny 2 isnt garbo. 

It seems kind of naive to expect Destiny 2 to not be ''garbo'' when the first was an absolute train wreck of crushed hopes and dreams. It says something when people are openly saying a game like Warframe did Destiny better then Destiny did.

9 minutes ago, (PS4)psycofang said:

Then Vindictus and its kind also arent MMOs despite them classifying themselves as such.

Well, if Vindictus has 4 to 8 players, then I'd have to agree. I mean, COD has 6v6, 8v8, 12v12 multiplayer modes. Battlefield has 24v24, 32v32 multiplayer modes, yet no one in their right mind would consider those games to be MMO. IMO, MMO is quite literally massive multiplayer. That's what I'm used to. I don't think 4 player or 8 player or even 24 player missions are "massive".

I think games like to use the labels "MMO" and "MMORPG", particularly if they're a multiplayer RPG. But I think some that call themselves MMORPGs aren't really MMO. So that's what I mean when I say Warframe isn't an MMO. I think some of the elements of the game are elements that are also in MMORPG games, but I don't think that makes Warframe an MMO.

Edited by A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n

All Warframe needs to succeed is to make a looping circuit where you can race in Archwings and grab randomized powers to use on other participants. And the guys in the back can get the super blue nuclear missile that can halt the guy in the first place.

That and a trading card game.

This game in its current state would not work as an MMO. Tenno have no reason to fight each other. DE would either need to introduce new playable races or use the current races they have. I don't know about everyone else but I wouldn't want to play as Grineer, Corpus or any other current race. They are fun to fight but they are inferior to the Tenno. Introducing new races into an MMO wouldn't make much sense because everyone would simply want to be Tenno due to not knowing the new races.

Then their is the connectivity issues this game would have on such a scale of an MMO. The game already suffers from lag from time to time. Imagine 20+ people casting their powers.

Even if they some how resolved the above, they would need to develop the game new which would take years before it was released. Also you would find that the physics, sounds and general gameplay would be drastically different because they would not be able to use the same engine. Thus, the game probably would be completely different to what you would be expecting.

In saying all of this, the game would become more immersive. The trade system could be drastically improved through an MMO and warframes/companions/ships could be more visually appealing as you would be engaging with other warframes on a regular basis as opposed to currently where you only see them in missions/relays and the DOJO. The chat system could also be improved using an MMO.

I always have mixed feelings about games that turn into MMOs, because done well they can be amazing but they are often done badly and become boring quickly. Maybe for now DE would be better of on their current path. Warframe is a good game and it seems like it is improving all the time. Maybe one day they will make an MMO but based on another game or a game from scratch.

As for open world, I generally don't like them. They sound good to start with but because everything eventually takes you on a tangent to what you were doing, you lose your way and have to work out what your main objective was. Essentially with open world, they either give you loads of missions/quests or they don't give you enough. Then their is the random encounters and random events that draw you even further away from what you were initially doing. When you first start a game that is open world, these things start out as fun but simply become tiresome.

3 hours ago, JalakBali said:

That and a trading card game.

Well, we technically have this between the mod cards and the trading system.

I wonder if we could devise a set of rules for each mod card and use the trading UI as a battle arena...

that would mean rewriting the entire games code, as well as redesigning every map, the loading system, and the mission system

too much cost, and Warframe is a 4 player coop based on left 4 dead at most they would make a left 4 dead style campaign

16 hours ago, yles9056 said:

Open world = you spend a lot of time traveling

Unless DE is going to make another Warframe game, otherwise I don't think it will happen.

What's wrong with spending a little more time traveling to your objective? Warframe's tilesets are large enough where you could have that. Doesn't have to be an AC or GRW or Division size open world. DE can pull it off within their current tileset system.

On 3/17/2017 at 1:59 AM, SilvaDreams said:

This has been discussed dozens of times over the years and the answer is No.

An open world would require them to make the entire solar system and every planet and moon within it which is absolutely insane specially since it would have to be populated.

Now more realistically asking for bigger maps? That is what the Kuva fortress was, DE trying to combine modes and give us a much larger map to play on.

An open world doesn't have to have every single planet and moon. Open world =/= simulator. Open world is basically having larger areas (tilesets like Mars get really large, honestly) with multiple missions and being able to interact with some NPCs. Basically, what we already have with regular missions and Relays. Kuva Fortress isn't good enough because it's not open enough. But it is large enough. With more open, spacious areas, it'd definitely be more open world. Add in some non-combat NPCs and that's what I want from Warframe.

1 hour ago, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

What's wrong with spending a little more time traveling to your objective? Warframe's tilesets are large enough where you could have that. Doesn't have to be an AC or GRW or Division size open world. DE can pull it off within their current tileset system.

Open world games are fun until you get tired of traveling. When you want to do some quests, you have to travel long distance. And after finishing the quest, you have to travel all the way back to get your reward. The process can be exhausting sometimes.

I not completely against the idea. Open world Warframe can be cool if done right. But right now, I think it is very unlikely to happen.

Besides, DE often spend a lot of time on adding fine detail and lighting to tileset(which is awesome). But open world often makes it more difficult to do that as you need to cover much larger area.

On 3/16/2017 at 9:25 PM, victoremz said:

It is a good idea, actually. But it would have to be an entirely separate game, made from scratch. I am not against the open-world system, because it adds realism and immersion, so it would be a great game, and we all know what DE is capaple of.

I too agree with this statment.

Warframe unfortunately will not work as a traditional mmo open world in its current state- like wow, gw2, or warhammer online (RIP- my friend).

Edited by (XB1)Nightseid