The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Will There Ever Be Pvp?

ShiroyoOchigano

Considering all of the crying about OP this and that when people aren't even fighting against each other, I sure hope we never get real PvP.  It will completely ruin the game.

This.  Also can you imagine?  All the qq and balance issues and then we would have mounts and a dungeon finder and pet battles and then... World of Tennocraft... Noooooooo...takes breath...NoooOooooOooooooo!!!!

I find it very ironic that people are looking for PVP when in the PVE side of things they go "Oh this is OP, oh that is OP" just OP OP OP OP OP everything OP. Come to think of it in PVP's perspective, it'll be a total wreck and would clearly ruin the game. and... *cough*READ*cough*FAQ*cough*BEFORE*cough*POSTING*cough*THREADS*cough*

I searched for this topic here but could not find it so I decided to make one.

Will there every be PVP beside the 1v1 which we can do at the dojo? It would be cool if we could have pvp sometime in the near future. Playing on modes like deathmatch, Capture the flag, team deathmatch etc etc would be really fun.

It would be even cooler if games could be unique and offer a great experience instead of trying to offering sub par experiences to appease and appeal to every type of gamer.

Look at Battlefield 3 for example with its 30 game modes.... The core conquest mode which is unique to the franchise suffered considerably because of it.

No, Warframe is a PVE based game, no need to ruin it with PvP.

Also the modes you mentioned are so unoriginal

If PvP isn't the solution to absolute boredom, then what is? What would be good PvE game modes that won't become utterly boring after a while? It's easy to say "this game is PvE only!" and if that's the case then give some ideas about new PvE game modes instead of constantly bashing the reasons why PvP won't work.

No, Warframe is a PVE based game, no need to ruin it with PvP.

Also the modes you mentioned are so unoriginal

Well Digital Extreme should consider PVP if what you are saying is correct because it is a known fact that online games without pvp do not survive very long, I have had this experience in many games. One such game online game about digimons has not had pvp even until now despite it being promised to the community and the game is a ghost town now. Also the longest online games that have ever survived all have pvp for example CS, Dota, Warcraft, Starcraft etc. To LOL fanboys, your game is not on the list because LOL is not as old as any of these games.

How far did you search, the end of your nose?  This has been covered multiple times, there is a thread every week, yours is the thread for week 28 2013.

Out side of clan duelling, no, there will be no pvp in the short term. DE want to focus on a pve 1-4 player game as the market is now saturated with pvp titles all struggling for a share, a smart move if you ask me.

No, I did not search as far as my noes because my noes is a noes that does not go beyond what is considered norm, unlike yours. So yea searching as far as my noes would be worth of little effort, time and quite frankly senseless.

Well Digital Extreme should consider PVP if what you are saying is correct because it is a known fact that online games without pvp do not survive very long, I have had this experience in many games. One such game online game about digimons has not had pvp even until now despite it being promised to the community and the game is a ghost town now. Also the longest online games that have ever survived all have pvp for example CS, Dota, Warcraft, Starcraft etc. To LOL fanboys, your game is not on the list because LOL is not as old as any of these games.

mmmmmmmmmmmm online games without PVP dont survive?

You are wrong.

Look at other games

Diablo, Call of Duty Zombies, Guild Wars, FireFall, Rift, Everquest

These games survive and I'm sure Warframe will too

Your argument is invalid

And inputting unoriginal content into a game isn't groundbreaking

Putting TDM into a game doesn't make it a hit

Stop suggesting things that are irrelevant to the spirit of Warframe

Oooh PVP games have more players in them?

Warframe is 2nd in Steam Free Games and has accumulated 1 million players in a few months without a publishers help.

You are wrong and delete this thread

/thread

Wh-... what? All of these have PvP. Guild Wars PvP is great, they did a good job at separating and balancing it from it's PvE.

But Call of Duty isn't even an MMO.

And just a fun fact here, PvP means Player versus Player. That covers a lot of different kinds of game types.

Edited by FatalX7

To everyone raging about no PVP and "It will ruin the game" here is my reply. And I am not trying to rage at you, rather I am just trying to get my point across as to why I think PvP would be a good move for the game:

1. PvE eventually get boring at one point of time, sometimes even before you have defeated the game and could end very soon for players that grind for countless hours without end.

2. PvE can get very repetitive and thus boring.

3. PvP offers a new experience because you are playing against real players and thus will not be facing the same kind of strategy, gameplay style or skill level every time.

4. PvP does not necessarily have to destroy the PvE part of the game because to get good MODS, build Dojo's, weapons etc you still need to do a lot of PvE. Not to mention the need to unlock all stages for those awesome alerts.

5. DE does not necessarily need to change all the warframes right from the bottom up because what currently exists can be what applies only for PvE and in PvP the abilities of Warframes will only be half as powerful (meaning a specifically nerfed version of the ability for PVP only).

6. Yes, capture the flag, Deathmatch etc are very cliche but these are just examples I was giving DE can join up with the community to make original PvP game modes. And that would be the best way to go if they are looking to stand out of the PvP crowd.

7. To players that are afraid of having to face very highly skilled players or players that are completely potatoed and modded then there is a solution to that. DE can introduce warframe, sentinel, weapon and total rating. These ratings will get higher the more you polarise, the higher you lvl, the more mod points you spend, the more you lvl up your mods and when you use a Potato. This could help players to be matched with evenly strong player which can further be attempted to stabilize through balanced match making with the use of user rating.

P.s - I don't think sentinel's should be allowed in PVP cause those things are just ridiculous and are more OP than warframes or their abilities. Also I don't find any warframe or Ability OP and I have seen experienced and used all of them. I have been an online gamer for over 8 years (I am still young, just 21 -_-) and am used to dealing with the so called OP because it is only OP until you learn how to deal with it.

8. I don't think I need to mention the number of games that have died and have become complete ghost towns to DE. PvE is great, this game is great but PvE can only entertain a player for so long because once that point is reached you are looking at a player that is going to leave for some other awesome game that is coming out where the devs have included PvP and are willing to go through the suffering of making sure to balance the game.

Look at Icefrog, the creator of Dota/Dota 2. He has spent over 8 years balancing that game and today that game is a masterpiece (LOL players don't rage, your game is good too kids). The community there loves the balance, I love the balance and all in all the amount of dedication and skill level required to play that game at the very high skill level is an aspect that needs to be applauded and admired.

9. I don't see any specific gun or warframe being OP in pvp because they all fill a specific role. I have imagined the warframes and guns in various game modes and they all fill a role. This game has warframes that are better at supporting than anything else, warframes that are better at defending, warframe that are better for stealing and moving fast and warframes that are good for simply soaking up damage for the team while having good crowd control abilities.

10. If you think PvP is bad then show me why. Don't just simply say "It's going to ruin the game". Because that is way too vague to be honest and thus invalid as a statement, argument or fact.

11. I hope De takes the time to read this :) Also great game, keep up the good work.

mmmmmmmmmmmm online games without PVP dont survive?

You are wrong.

Look at other games

These games survive and I'm sure Warframe will too

Your argument is invalid

And inputting unoriginal content into a game isn't groundbreaking

Putting TDM into a game doesn't make it a hit

Stop suggesting things that are irrelevant to the spirit of Warframe

Oooh PVP games have more players in them?

Warframe is 2nd in Steam Free Games and has accumulated 1 million players in a few months without a publishers help.

You are wrong and delete this thread

/thread

Answered all of your questions in my long reply to everyone in this thread. I do agree that there are a few games that have survived through PvE but you have to keep in mind that all the games you have mentioned were the first of its kind so thus they are originators and originators usually survive longer and become stronger than the copycats. Warframe is not the first of its kind although the space ninja theme is new.

Wh-... what? All of these have PvP. Guild Wars PvP is great, they did a good job at separating and balancing it from it's PvE.

But Call of Duty isn't even an MMO.

And just a fun fact here, PvP means Player versus Player. That covers a lot of different kinds of game types.

What he is suggesting is a PvP based with

TDM, Capture the Flag, Free For All 

These are all unoriginal

If it were 5 v 5 speed runs I would support PvP

but having unoriginal Ideas is just too bad of a decision DE can make

To everyone raging about no PVP and "It will ruin the game" here is my reply. And I am not trying to rage at you, rather I am just trying to get my point across as to why I think PvP would be a good move for the game:

1. PvE eventually get boring at one point of time, sometimes even before you have defeated the game and could end very soon for players that grind for countless hours without end.

2. PvE can get very repetitive and thus boring.

3. PvP offers a new experience because you are playing against real players and thus will not be facing the same kind of strategy, gameplay style or skill level every time.

4. PvP does not necessarily have to destroy the PvE part of the game because to get good MODS, build Dojo's, weapons etc you still need to do a lot of PvE. Not to mention the need to unlock all stages for those awesome alerts.

5. DE does not necessarily need to change all the warframes right from the bottom up because what currently exists can be what applies only for PvE and in PvP the abilities of Warframes will only be half as powerful (meaning a specifically nerfed version of the ability for PVP only).

6. Yes, capture the flag, Deathmatch etc are very cliche but these are just examples I was giving DE can join up with the community to make original PvP game modes. And that would be the best way to go if they are looking to stand out of the PvP crowd.

7. To players that are afraid of having to face very highly skilled players or players that are completely potatoed and modded then there is a solution to that. DE can introduce warframe, sentinel, weapon and total rating. These ratings will get higher the more you polarise, the higher you lvl, the more mod points you spend, the more you lvl up your mods and when you use a Potato. This could help players to be matched with evenly strong player which can further be attempted to stabilize through balanced match making with the use of user rating.

P.s - I don't think sentinel's should be allowed in PVP cause those things are just ridiculous and are more OP than warframes or their abilities. Also I don't find any warframe or Ability OP and I have seen experienced and used all of them. I have been an online gamer for over 8 years (I am still young, just 21 -_-) and am used to dealing with the so called OP because it is only OP until you learn how to deal with it.

8. I don't think I need to mention the number of games that have died and have become complete ghost towns to DE. PvE is great, this game is great but PvE can only entertain a player for so long because once that point is reached you are looking at a player that is going to leave for some other awesome game that is coming out where the devs have included PvP and are willing to go through the suffering of making sure to balance the game.

Look at Icefrog, the creator of Dota/Dota 2. He has spent over 8 years balancing that game and today that game is a masterpiece (LOL players don't rage, your game is good too kids). The community there loves the balance, I love the balance and all in all the amount of dedication and skill level required to play that game at the very high skill level is an aspect that needs to be applauded and admired.

9. I don't see any specific gun or warframe being OP in pvp because they all fill a specific role. I have imagined the warframes and guns in various game modes and they all fill a role. This game has warframes that are better at supporting than anything else, warframes that are better at defending, warframe that are better for stealing and moving fast and warframes that are good for simply soaking up damage for the team while having good crowd control abilities.

10. If you think PvP is bad then show me why. Don't just simply say "It's going to ruin the game". Because that is way too vague to be honest and thus invalid as a statement, argument or fact.

11. I hope De takes the time to read this :) Also great game, keep up the good work.

DE doesnt have to focus on PvP nor will they balance it.

This game was supposed to be fresh air from all the crummy PvP games, publishers ruin

We don't need it right now

The Mod Card system that we have can allow for the implementation of new mods and abilities, which can be made to be PvE or PvP-specific.

This is a video from PAX. At 4 minutes this guy mentions PvP and they go into some details. They talk about adding the Dojo dueling and that they would slowly and organically build upon PvP from there.

The time that I linked to is when they talked about the Mod Card system.

"Change the mod system you saw into that card game is going to give us the ability to introduce mods that only work in certain types of game modes"

In regards to weapon damage, I don't think it'll be too difficult to set up separate variables for Player to Player damage. There are other games that do this, but I can't remember the names. Someone mentioned them to me when I brought this up before in an older PvP thread.

DE doesnt have to focus on PvP nor will they balance it.

This game was supposed to be fresh air from all the crummy PvP games, publishers ruin

We don't need it right now

Has anyone said anything about PvP being the focus?

PvE can remain in the center, but that doesn't mean that nothing else can be worked on on the side.

I'm going to just copy/paste myself.

"One more thing that people don't seem to understand is that working on other aspects of the game doesn't take the focus away from PvE. PvE is probably always going to be the focus, but that doesn't mean that other things can't be worked on on the side. Kind of the same deal as the PS4 release, the PS4 version has their own team working on that while everyone else we know and love is still working over here at the same time.

With the release to the PS4, the game is growing, it's expanding to a larger audience. This potentially equates to more money, which is more money that can go into PvE and even PvP.

If PvP is "slowly and organically" expanded upon like DE mentioned at PAX, it can have the same results as the PS4 release. The game is growing and expanding to a larger audience. With both PvE and PvP, the game will be able to cater to more than just one group of gamers, which potentially equates to even more money, more money that can go into PvE.

In this day and age of video games, being an online shooter without PvP is, honestly and unfortunately, a limitation. That's a very large group of gamers that you're not getting much out of."

Edited by FatalX7

The Mod Card system that we have can allow for the implementation of new mods and abilities, which can be made to be PvE or PvP-specific.

This is a video from PAX. At 4 minutes this guy mentions PvP and they go into some details. They talk about adding the Dojo dueling and that they would slowly and organically build upon PvP from there.

The time that I linked to is when they talked about the Mod Card system.

"Change the mod system you saw into that card game is going to give us the ability to introduce mods that only work in certain types of game modes"

In regards to weapon damage, I don't think it'll be too difficult to set up separate variables for Player to Player damage. There are other games that do this, but I can't remember the names. Someone mentioned them to me when I brought this up before in an older PvP thread.

Has anyone said anything about PvP being the focus?

PvE can remain in the center, but that doesn't mean that nothing else can be worked on on the side.

I'm going to just copy/paste myself.

"One more thing that people don't seem to understand is that working on other aspects of the game doesn't take the focus away from PvE. PvE is probably always going to be the focus, but that doesn't mean that other things can't be worked on on the side. Kind of the same deal as the PS4 release, the PS4 version has their own team working on that while everyone else we know and love is still working over here at the same time.

With the release to the PS4, the game is growing, it's expanding to a larger audience. This potentially equates to more money, which is more money that can go into PvE and even PvP.

If PvP is "slowly and organically" expanded upon like DE mentioned at PAX, it can have the same results as the PS4 release. The game is growing and expanding to a larger audience. With both PvE and PvP, the game will be able to cater to more than just one group of gamers, which potentially equates to even more money, more money that can go into PvE.

In this day and age of video games, being an online shooter without PvP is, honestly and unfortunately, a limitation. That's a very large group of gamers that you're not getting much out of."

Well said. Alot of sense, truth and logic in what you have said. And as I mentioned in my previous post PvE will probably remain and be the center of this game because players need to grind their mods, lvls, weapons etc from the PvE. The PvP aspect is a place where you chill out when your bored from the PvE or have reached a point where you can only hone your skills to become the best there is.

One more thing that people don't seem to understand is that working on other aspects of the game doesn't take the focus away from PvE. PvE is probably always going to be the focus, but that doesn't mean that other things can't be worked on on the side.

In this day and age of video games, being an online shooter without PvP is, honestly and unfortunately, a limitation. That's a very large group of gamers that you're not getting much out of.

Sadly, I agree with your comment on PvP-less games. You're right that a very large group enjoy PvP, and it seems foolish not to include it. However that doesn't mean that there doesn't exist another large group that enjoy the fact that a great new game is being developed that doesn't succombe to the current trend of incorporating PvP into everything. Yes, PvE-focused games eventually die, but must we really suck everything we can from every game produced? Why can't Warframe simply stay as a PvE game, and when the time comes for it to pass, let it go into history to make way for other games of its genre?

I respect that many people wish for PvP to be included somehow, and I know that it would never steal focus from Warframe's true intentions, but it's nice to see a game that doesn't require everything the current gaming trends include and stay in it's own niche.

I do agree that there are a few games that have survived through PvE but you have to keep in mind that all the games you have mentioned were the first of its kind so thus they are originators and originators usually survive longer and become stronger than the copycats. Warframe is not the first of its kind although the space ninja theme is new.

There is nothing wrong with games eventually dying. If it was great game it can still be remembered. You never know, maybe Warframe will lead to a generation of PvP-less games and the current generation of CoD etc will end and we'll see something new?

Again, while not incorporating PvP may seem like it's missing out on a large audience, there still exist people who enjoy this break from the norm. :)