Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Concerns about Octavia's abilities

tbeest

I already brought this up when they suggested the feature during a DevStream some months ago and I'll bring it up again now that it's official.

unknown.png

Why does Octavia's ultimate have to rely on "the decibel level of sound in the area"? The decibel level will differ per spot per tile per tileset and, if gunshots count as well, per faction. Volt got a whole rework because his ultimate was inconsistent and now it's going to happen all over again? The main use of the ability will probably assisting her 1st, but why can't it just be a static value? Why go for maximum gimmick value again? I agree, "a static amount", does sound more boring. But at least it doesn't sound frustrating.

The frame has yet to be released and I already can't wait for her rework where they make it a base value.

unrelated part to clarify myself: I'm not saying the frame will suck, I'm not saying she won't be useful and I don't know how the ability will turn out. But I do know how to spot a useless, probably broken at release, feature. (either broken because it'll not register properly or broken because of the cluttered sound in non-reworked tilesets as DE showed us, but this is not the reason for my post. Just clarifying my clarification)

gimmick? that ultimate is the perfect synergy ability this game has ever seen. all her abilities are gona generate sound so it makes a helluva amount of sense for her ultimate to get stronger the more sound her other abilities generate

1 minute ago, Hemmo67 said:

gimmick? that ultimate is the perfect synergy ability this game has ever seen. all her abilities are gona generate sound so it makes a helluva amount of sense for her ultimate to get stronger the more sound her other abilities generate

also true but itis going to seriously depend on implementation 

DE are doing something truly unique with this frame - can you name one other third-person shooter that has even attempted it? Beyond the old alpha of "Chroma" from Harmonix that I tested out a couple of years ago (which was ultimately dropped), this is really going to be interesting.

It may be buggy, and we all know that community-scale testing will shake out even the tiniest of bugs in a very short time, but I'm going to celebrate the fact that they are truly attempting something new - and I'm really hoping it works out.

2 minutes ago, AmazingMrAirplane said:

Here people are complaining about her. I just want her to out already. I need to make that Darude - Sandstorm

i am not complaining i am stating concerns that all, i hoping for something cool and useful but when they implement something this complex its rarely a smooth ride lol 

2 minutes ago, dstrawberrygirl said:

DE are doing something truly unique with this frame - can you name one other third-person shooter that has even attempted it? Beyond the old alpha of "Chroma" from Harmonix that I tested out a couple of years ago (which was ultimately dropped), this is really going to be interesting.

It may be buggy, and we all know that community-scale testing will shake out even the tiniest of bugs in a very short time, but I'm going to celebrate the fact that they are truly attempting something new - and I'm really hoping it works out.

Not a fan of the description of her third but at least you can influence the input yourself, fine with me. But this thread is about some random surround sounds that will influence her 4th.

4 minutes ago, AmazingMrAirplane said:

Here people are complaining about her. I just want her to out already. I need to make that Darude - Sandstorm

I'd love to see her in game as well, but rather not in a broken state.

Okay, I am definitely making that thread waaaaaaay too early, but that's because I am genuinely concerned by the mechanics featured in that skill.

As you all could notice, DE today released Octavia's Anthem minisite. That website features a webcomic and information about the incoming update. So far, we got information about new weapons and the new Warframe. You can read everything here : https://warframe.com/octavias-anthem

What I could read about Octavia's abilities sounds decent, except for ONE thing :

METRONOME

Grants buffs to those who consistently perform actions in time to Octavia’s music. Timed jumps offer a speed buff. Crouching on the beat grants cloaking. Firing rhythmically bestows multi-shot. Timed melee swings buff damage.

Metronome sounds like the most intriguing ability of the bunch. It features somewhat unusual mechanics and fresh ideas. However the fact that your idea is fresh does not mean that it will work. That's my concern : I feel like the idea behind that ability, while somewhat fitting and clever, isn't good at all for several reasons.

1. In the worst case scenario, nobody would bother to adapt to the rythm. I also suspect that people would just adapt it to their weapon's fire rate and just use it as a personal self buff, killing a bit the team buff aspect of the skill. People would probably be more enclined to pick easier to use alternatives, like Nova's Molecular Prime.
  2. There might be extremely annoying issues with charge based weapons, manually activated weapons and melee charged attacks. Is the bonus awarded when the shot detonates or when you shoot/hit the enemy ? Is the bonus awarded when you start doing the heavy attack or when the attack hits ? Javlok and Ferrox would be also awkward to time right.
  3. That buff could be useless with high fire rate weapons and constant damage based weapons.
  4. That buff does not sound like something that could work well with the current melee combo system, where combos are actually heavily affected by animations. It would be really hard to keep the rythm.
  5. There might be issue with people having fairly low FPSes. Not enough FPS could mean missing the bonus too much.

I do think we either need more information about how the power works, or we need to see a last second rework of that power so it gets a way less clunky feel. Rythm based actions might, sadly, not fit the gameplay at all.

Yes, all of those are pretty much assumptions. But it would really be a shame to release another frame with one power being useless. DE managed to do a perfect design with Nidus : all powers were useful, there was not a single aspect of Nidus powers that were underwhelming. It would be great if it kept going this way.

10 minutes ago, Hemmo67 said:

If it will function in a 1 or 0 state of being or not being in range of her 1st, maybe. If not for that, it'll have to be that one spot on the map that makes noises and stack a ton of her 1st and then put her 4th on top to get the most dps out of it. Which is what the majority of players want.

5 minutes ago, D20 said:

all powers were useful

if u larva the enemies what use will parasitic link have? c.c

nobody is shooting you since they are been molested by infested space vagina

as for this rythm based buffs. it could be it adds a base buff that increases if u time the attack/stuff right. we must wait and see in action THEN complain if it's broken or too hard to use

Firstly, the power isn't fresh or original in the slightest. Fundamentally, it's a couple buffs we've seen plenty of times before. It's wrapped up in a shiny presentation gimmick. Rather fitting for Octavia herself.

That being said, I also hope that there's some kind of visual pulse that accompanies (what I would assume to be) metronome ticks. I'm sure there are players that are deaf, or simply prefer to play with the sound muted, and I don't feel their ability to play should be impaired. 

Lastly, it's obviously far too late into development for this power to change, so I think the best course of action is simply to wait and see how it unfolds so we may offer more insightful feedback.

1 minute ago, Hemmo67 said:

nobody is shooting you since they are been molested by infested space vagina

as for this rythm based buffs. it could be it adds a base buff that increases if u time the attack/stuff right. we must wait and see in action THEN complain if it's broken or too hard to use

If you use your 1st ability when Parasitic Link is active, you'll trigger another instance of your 1st power coming from the linked target itself, effectively doubling your DPS and giving a better point about using it. But we're getting off topic.

2 minutes ago, AM-Bunny said:

That being said, I also hope that there's some kind of visual pulse that accompanies (what I would assume to be) metronome ticks. I'm sure there are players that are deaf, or simply prefer to play with the sound muted, and I don't feel their ability to play should be impaired. 

Lastly, it's obviously far too late into development for this power to change, so I think the best course of action is simply to wait and see how it unfolds so we may offer more insightful feedback.

Very good points. There must be a visual effect to follow for players who play without sounds.

I'm also intrigued with her 3rd ability, doesn't seem like something that is going to function well with timing of other players. Maybe it could've been, Octavia plays a random beat and each beat has a buff. No damage buff but fire rate, attack speed etc. That way it'll work with her 4th very nicely.

16 minutes ago, D20 said:

As you all could notice, DE today released Octavia's Anthem minisite. That website features a webcomic and information about the incoming update. So far, we got information about new weapons and the new Warframe. You can read everything here : https://warframe.com/octavias-anthem

i am mostly concerned with that webcomic

i mean ending it like THAT. i want to know more:sadcry:

14 minutes ago, Hemmo67 said:

Link allows you to gain double the stacks since an additional wave of Virulence is cast from the target. Also you can buff you and your team mate if you don't need the damage reduction.

As for Octavia, I'm calling another meh frame with ''interesting'' mechanics, which will end up be purely useless in high-level missions.

Edited by Wyrmius_Prime

Just now, Wyrmius_Prime said:

Link allows you to gain double the stacks since an additional wave of Virulence is cast from the target. Also you can buff you and your team mate if you don't need the damage reduction.

i knew dmg buff

but a 2nd virulence? O_o

how da hek i never noticed x.x