Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Concerns about Octavia's abilities

tbeest

Depends, does Amp factor in environmental sounds, gunfire sounds, ability noise, transmission sounds from Lotus, music from Mallet, Resonator and Metronome, enemy speech, footsteps? Does it even work in space?

Only time can tell.

As a musician and artist myself who does compositions for games I implore DE to allow us to mute other bardframes. Just because they will be synced time-wise does not mean that the notes being played will make cohesive chords or mesh well in anyway by all of them being played at once. This third ability is going to be largely ignored upon release when it enters the game because the problem is that even if you shoot to match the rhythm, I can guarantee that the multishot bonus will not outweigh the dps loss of general fire rate. This would be nice for snipers, grenade launchers, and maybe pistols, but the bpm will most likely screw you over in damage rather than boost it. On a side note, I am very excited to use her 4 with Banshee's resonating quake just for fun. Probably will have to do it on a private game however since I'm sure pubs will complain about Banshee killing everything lol, regardless it'd be interesting to see the result and how it scales.

Edited by LucFal

19 minutes ago, LucFal said:

As a musician and artist myself who does compositions for games I implore DE to allow us to mute other bardframes. 

demand such a feature. I do not want to listen to the musical genius of the Warframe playerbase's latest demo tape. 

Also, I won't be dancing for Octavia. I dance only for the art, not buffs. Plus, if I can disable her audio and visuals, the rhythm divine will stay where it belongs: elsewhere. (In all seriousness, this may be the first frame where I'll actually leave a group before willingly playing alongside, and I've played alongside Miragulors who have actively gotten in my way in order to kill steal). 

Edited by (XB1)CannyJack

I think I'm more worried about the 'crouch to the music in order to become invisible' part of it. It just sounds a bit... absurd. Like, I like the idea, sure, but imagine it, a whole squad of tenno basically doing squats their whole way through the mission in order to keep stealth. 

3 minutes ago, redeyedtreefrog said:

I think I'm more worried about the 'crouch to the music in order to become invisible' part of it. It just sounds a bit... absurd. Like, I like the idea, sure, but imagine it, a whole squad of tenno basically doing squats their whole way through the mission in order to keep stealth. 

What part of warframe isn't already absurd? Hot pink paint jobs? Space-Gun-Ninjas? Bobble heads? Clem? They're plenty of silly S#&$ in warframe, and this is simply another part of that.

I am thinking of it. And I think it's amazing. You're under no obligation to dance, and if nobody's dancing, and I'm playing octavia, I can't see myself pressing 3.

You can dance if you want to, you can leave your friends behind, because your friends don't dance, and if they don't dance, well they get no buffs of mine.

Edited by PopeUrban

5 minutes ago, PopeUrban said:

I am thinking of it. And I think it's amazing. You're under no obligation to dance, and if nobody's dancing, and I'm playing octavia, I can't see myself pressing 3.

You can dance if you want to, you can leave your friends behind, because your friends don't dance, and if they don't dance, well they get no buffs of mine.

This just made my day. I will now do my best to recreate Safety Dance using the step sequencer XD

3 minutes ago, (Xbox One)CannyJack said:

Wait. If, and only if, Octavia's powers can be controlled entirely using a Rock Band guitar controller...I'll think about it.

It's a perfect frame for my daughter, but she will be disappointed that she can't put emblems on Octavia's butt, u know a "cutie mark" :crylaugh: probably end up being MR fodder anyway.

7 hours ago, D20 said:

There might be issue with people having fairly low FPSes. Not enough FPS could mean missing the bonus too much.

Just putting it out there that DE did say something about this already; the game will have a synced 'beat' and it doesn't matter when you cast the ability or end it, because the game itself will have synced it to the universal cycle. In other words, somebody with a good sense of timing could actually bring in the cast at specific times to fade in and fade out the different parts of the 'song'.

Meaning; nobody would have to worry about FPS spikes or lag making them miss the beat because it doesn't rely on FPS, and it has lag compensation built in.

Edited by Thaylien

Lets see what she has upfront:

1. Mallet
    • Static decoy that draws enemy fire.
    • AoE damage depending on beats set in Mandachord.
    • Damage scales based on damage received by Mallet.
    • Synergy with Resonator (becomes mobile) and Amp (double damage and range).
    • Presumably recastable to make multiple Mallets, based on Amp's description.
  2. Resonator
    • Roller specter that makes enemies follow it... unsure if like Lantern (braindead enemies) or they'll run-and-gun.
    • Likely has shield/health as most summoned ally units tend to.
    • Picks up a nearby Mallet and rolls around attracting enemy fire while damaging them.
    • Maybe follows Octavia, rolls away doing its own thing, and/or has follow/hold position options like other specters.
    • Somehow tied to beats on the Mandachord.
  3. Metronome
    • Grants a variety of buffs to Octavia and her allies if they manage to time their actions to beats from Mandachord.
      • Speed on timed jump.
      • Cloak on timed crouch.
      • Multi-shot on timed gunshots.
      • Bonus damage on timed melee attacks.
    • Possibly has its own buff range and duration, plus unknown synergies with Mallet, Resonator and/or Amp.
  4. Amp
    • Damage buff to Octavia and her allies based on sound levels in the area.
    • Doubles damage and range of nearby Mallets.

So she sounds like a squishy caster who relies on distraction, maneuverability and invisibility to survive while churning out buffs to allies (if they can dance to her beat), with a variable damage buff depending on the situation. May appeal to the area control and RNG-ish powers crowd I guess. Her ability damage will have to be good (slightly lower than Nidus-tier, but competitive enough) to consider going through that amount of setup IMO.

Looks nice but i really wish de would give up trying to tie environmental factors into abilities, yes the idea is cool but given the crap job they've done with light detection i'm not confident that something more complex like sound levels will work at all.

I am curious to see how the abilities come together and wondering if Octavia will be deployed on PC before the next Dev Stream.

In regards to AMP

Shouldn't Banshee (Passive Noise Suppression) and Hushed Invisibility Loki not be beneficial towards AMP.

But would only Valkyr or another Octavia, technically be the only audible Warframes to boost AMP decibels.

I mean other Warframe abilities have sound effects but don't seem to be Audible to enemies.

Valkyr is weird in that she clearly screams but those screams do not alert enemies.

Possibly over-thinking this.

I am guessing setting of Alarms would be better for AMP decibels though.

well mirages 4 dmg scales on weather its in the light or not. so its not like its still unheard of.
also we still have to wait on how well it scales. what considered loud and quiet. at what time intervals does it check for sound? do different guns have different sound values? do explosives from launchers detonation count or only during firing? do banshee weapons count? if banshee uses silince does it nullify her ability?

there are ALOT of unknowns about this skill atm...so answers would be nice but i guess thats what makes it a teaser.

17 minutes ago, Ordosan said:

well mirages 4 dmg scales on weather its in the light or not. so its not like its still unheard of.
also we still have to wait on how well it scales. what considered loud and quiet. at what time intervals does it check for sound? do different guns have different sound values? do explosives from launchers detonation count or only during firing? do banshee weapons count? if banshee uses silince does it nullify her ability?

there are ALOT of unknowns about this skill atm...so answers would be nice but i guess thats what makes it a teaser.

I just want Soundquake and Amp to boost each other. If that doesn't happen I'm going to be very disappointed. How can you have an ability that is boosted by dB not get bossted by a frame putting out such powerful sound waves that it shakes the map? If Octavia and Banshee synergy doesn't exist than this frame in my opinion will be a failure of design. So here's hoping!!

1 hour ago, PsiWarp said:

Lets see what she has upfront:

1. Mallet
    • Static decoy that draws enemy fire.
    • AoE damage depending on beats set in Mandachord.
    • Damage scales based on damage received by Mallet.
    • Synergy with Resonator (becomes mobile) and Amp (double damage and range).
    • Presumably recastable to make multiple Mallets, based on Amp's description.
  2. Resonator
    • Roller specter that makes enemies follow it... unsure if like Lantern (braindead enemies) or they'll run-and-gun.
    • Likely has shield/health as most summoned ally units tend to.
    • Picks up a nearby Mallet and rolls around attracting enemy fire while damaging them.
    • Maybe follows Octavia, rolls away doing its own thing, and/or has follow/hold position options like other specters.
    • Somehow tied to beats on the Mandachord.
  3. Metronome
    • Grants a variety of buffs to Octavia and her allies if they manage to time their actions to beats from Mandachord.
      • Speed on timed jump.
      • Cloak on timed crouch.
      • Multi-shot on timed gunshots.
      • Bonus damage on timed melee attacks.
    • Possibly has its own buff range and duration, plus unknown synergies with Mallet, Resonator and/or Amp.
  4. Amp
    • Damage buff to Octavia and her allies based on sound levels in the area.
    • Doubles damage and range of nearby Mallets.

So she sounds like a squishy caster who relies on distraction, maneuverability and invisibility to survive while churning out buffs to allies (if they can dance to her beat), with a variable damage buff depending on the situation. May appeal to the area control and RNG-ish powers crowd I guess. Her ability damage will have to be good (slightly lower than Nidus-tier, but competitive enough) to consider going through that amount of setup IMO.

IMO to me it sounds like a whole lot of setup to only not reciprocate the amount of setup time involved to have any significant impact on the game.  To me honestly  it looks like a "money frame", not in regards to buying it but in regards to buying the set up needed for the frame. U want to compose a track? it's probably gonna cost plat. You want more pitch? Well that will cost you plat. You want more bass? Plat. So on and so forth. lol

I can't see the bard being significant at all in late game whatsoever whatever ever.

Edited by (XB1)FCastle74

Just now, (Xbox One)FCastle74 said:

IMO to me it sounds like a whole lot of setup to only not reciprocate the amount of setup time involved to have any significant impact on the game.  To me honestly  it looks like a "money frame", not in regards to buying it but in regards to buying the set up needed for the frame. 

She's going to be difficult to mod I'm sure. Depending on how much her abilities cost and her energy pool it could be a little hard to get enough out of her. For example, her 1 and 2 seem like duration based abilities, however her 3 looks like it might be a channeling ability and her 4 could go either way. Range could probably just be at 160% to easily buff the entire team. Also the dB being used for her 4, will the buff change throughout the abilities duration depending on dB levels at any given moment, or just when the ability is originally cast? Too many questions, not enough info. I look forward to testing though.

11 minutes ago, LucFal said:

I just want Soundquake and Amp to boost each other. If that doesn't happen I'm going to be very disappointed. How can you have an ability that is boosted by dB not get bossted by a frame putting out such powerful sound waves that it shakes the map? If Octavia and Banshee synergy doesn't exist than this frame in my opinion will be a failure of design. So here's hoping!!

I agree with this 100% also Valkyr War Cry.....