Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Concerns about Octavia's abilities

tbeest

Just now, PopeUrban said:

Rhino's Roar is also... a roar.

Problem with those two is that they aren't constantly screaming and roaring (at least not Rhino lol and even then it sounds more like a moan), whereas sound quake is continuous straight sound.

3 minutes ago, LucFal said:

Problem with those two is that they aren't constantly screaming and roaring (at least not Rhino lol and even then it sounds more like a moan), whereas sound quake is continuous straight sound.

Well Valkyr paralysis is re- castable. So idk we will see I suppose 

Edited by (XB1)FCastle74

Just now, (Xbox One)FCastle74 said:

Also paralysis is re castable. So idk we will see I suppose 

Yea like I said the nature of her abilities is still unknown. We have no clue how her abilities are cast (channeled vs duration) or what sounds are taken into account.

This is...honestly just funny. Every time something remotely interesting happens with a frame or weapon, it's either "useless and gimmicky" or "OPAF" to some people. We don't even have specifics on functionality or stats to measure Octavia's effectiveness. Who says Amp is going to have a 1 to 1 relationship with the game's soundtrack? You don't even know what will or won't contribute to its power, and you're already declaring it a useless, inconsistent, broken gimmick. Even though it strongly implies everything else Octavia does will be able to contribute to it, unlike Volt's old 4, and this means there will essentially always be something you can actively do during gameplay to make it better. On its face, this is good design. Why don't we wait until we know how it's actually supposed to work under the hood before we decide what is or isn't wrong with it?

Edited by DreamsmithJane

2 hours ago, shyguyk said:

An ability based on ambient sound levels?

just bring some valkyrs and gorgons. problem solved

Do you have a crap-ton of maxed-out Reload speed mods to hand out like candy? No? Then I don't think people are going to want to use the Gorgon any more than they already do(which is never).

18 hours ago, Trichouette said:

Who plays banshee anyway :D

No seriously... She's still one of the least played frame and she's most of the time played for sonar & sound quake, not for her silence.

And we still don't know how that ability of octavia will work, maybe it doesn't work like how the description describe it.

ME

Play a savage silence banshee with the resonance mod as well, throw in an atterax and never touch 4. It's the most glorious thing on the planet. Even though you can still die from any stray bullet

17 hours ago, LucFal said:

As a musician and artist myself who does compositions for games I implore DE to allow us to mute other bardframes. Just because they will be synced time-wise does not mean that the notes being played will make cohesive chords or mesh well in anyway by all of them being played at once. This third ability is going to be largely ignored upon release when it enters the game because the problem is that even if you shoot to match the rhythm, I can guarantee that the multishot bonus will not outweigh the dps loss of general fire rate. This would be nice for snipers, grenade launchers, and maybe pistols, but the bpm will most likely screw you over in damage rather than boost it. On a side note, I am very excited to use her 4 with Banshee's resonating quake just for fun. Probably will have to do it on a private game however since I'm sure pubs will complain about Banshee killing everything lol, regardless it'd be interesting to see the result and how it scales.

16 hours ago, (Xbox One)CannyJack said:

demand such a feature. I do not want to listen to the musical genius of the Warframe playerbase's latest demo tape. 

Also, I won't be dancing for Octavia. I dance only for the art, not buffs. Plus, if I can disable her audio and visuals, the rhythm divine will stay where it belongs: elsewhere. (In all seriousness, this may be the first frame where I'll actually leave a group before willingly playing alongside, and I've played alongside Miragulors who have actively gotten in my way in order to kill steal). 

As a musician, I concur. 

13 hours ago, PsiWarp said:

Lets see what she has upfront:

1. Mallet
    • Static decoy that draws enemy fire.
    • AoE damage depending on beats set in Mandachord.
    • Damage scales based on damage received by Mallet.
    • Synergy with Resonator (becomes mobile) and Amp (double damage and range).
    • Presumably recastable to make multiple Mallets, based on Amp's description.
  2. Resonator
    • Roller specter that makes enemies follow it... unsure if like Lantern (braindead enemies) or they'll run-and-gun.
    • Likely has shield/health as most summoned ally units tend to.
    • Picks up a nearby Mallet and rolls around attracting enemy fire while damaging them.
    • Maybe follows Octavia, rolls away doing its own thing, and/or has follow/hold position options like other specters.
    • Somehow tied to beats on the Mandachord.
  3. Metronome
    • Grants a variety of buffs to Octavia and her allies if they manage to time their actions to beats from Mandachord.
      • Speed on timed jump.
      • Cloak on timed crouch.
      • Multi-shot on timed gunshots.
      • Bonus damage on timed melee attacks.
    • Possibly has its own buff range and duration, plus unknown synergies with Mallet, Resonator and/or Amp.
  4. Amp
    • Damage buff to Octavia and her allies based on sound levels in the area.
    • Doubles damage and range of nearby Mallets.

So she sounds like a squishy caster who relies on distraction, maneuverability and invisibility to survive while churning out buffs to allies (if they can dance to her beat), with a variable damage buff depending on the situation. May appeal to the area control and RNG-ish powers crowd I guess. Her ability damage will have to be good (slightly lower than Nidus-tier, but competitive enough) to consider going through that amount of setup IMO.

I feel like she's the musical equivalent of Saryn. Think about it

Saryn's Spores combine with Molt to create a stationary toxic nuke

Octavia's Mallet combines with Resonator to create mobile death by disco

Saryn's Molt takes away attention from herself, Octavia's Resonator does the same

Saryn's Miasma combines with spores for greater damage

Octavia's Amp increases the damage of existing mallets

Seeing as I love Saryn, Octavia has me very, very excited <3

My only concern about her abilities is that when I use the 3rd (Metronome) for some reason it kills my fps by more than half (as in it goes from 55/60fps to 20/25fps) although I really can't find a reason for it to do so

• 2 months later...
On 3/25/2017 at 2:06 AM, Cheeky_Kitty said:

My only concern about her abilities is that when I use the 3rd (Metronome) for some reason it kills my fps by more than half (as in it goes from 55/60fps to 20/25fps) although I really can't find a reason for it to do so

I haven't had a problem even remotely similar to this...