Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ambrosius, The Mage Warframe. (my first concept)

Laszlok

Greetings! Would you look at that, I've finally worked up the nerve to post one of my warframe concepts. Here he is. Be nice to him:

updated_ambrosius_art_by_other_laszlok-d

Spoiler

ambrosius_color_variants_by_other_laszlo

Dramatic description: Marked by chaos, Ambrosius calls upon the raw power of the elements to rain destruction on his foes.

Stats

Health: 75 (225 at rank 30)

Shields: 200 (600 at rank 30)

Armor: 15

Power: 150 (225 at rank 30)

Abilities

Passive: When Ambrosius inflicts an elemental status effect upon an enemy, all energy he gains is increased by 25% for 6 seconds.

• Stacks if triggered again while active, with a cap of 150%

Ability 1 Elemental Wave: Ambrosius sends an expanding wave of a random element billowing forth before him.

• Elemental Wave has a 60% status chance.
  • The wave expands as it travels, but its damage dissipates as it becomes wider.
  • Its status chance, however, doesn't dissipate.
  • Upon cast, Elemental Wave's damage type is decided based on the following probabilities: 16.5% for each of Cold, Heat, Electric, and Toxin (66% between the four). 5.5% for each of the combined elements (rounding out the remaining 33%*)

*curse you, base ten!

Ability 2 Entropic Cloud: Ambrosius curses a crowd of enemies, causing them to take increased elemental damage, and suffer more devastating status effects. Meanwhile, allies are protected from the elements.

• Targeted aoe.
  • Affected enemies take increased elemental damage from all sources, and any status effects inflicted upon them last for twice as long. Allies within the area of effect experience the opposite, gaining significant protection from elemental damage, and suffering half-duration status effects.
  • Protection applies to all allies within the radius, including companions/sentinels, and Ambrosius himself.
  • Enemies under the effects of Entropic Cloud release a small burst of energy when killed.

Ability 3 Expel Force: Ambrosius releases a pulse of physical force, knocking enemies back, and deflecting incoming projectiles.

• The pulse expands outward from Ambrosius. Nearby enemies are knocked down, while enemies within a larger radius are staggered.
  • The pulse is accompanied by a sphere that deflects enemy projectiles attempting to pass through it.
  • Deals no damage.
  • This is his "oh &%!#" button.

Ability 4 Power Unleashed: Ambrosius casts aside his weapons, becoming himself a weapon of elemental might.

• Channeled ability.
  • Ambrosius' primary weapon is replaced by a beam of elemental damage shot from his hands. the beam behaves like a continuous-fire weapon, with a wide beam and long range. It has a status chance of 30%/s.
  • His melee weapon is replaced by elementally-enhanced fists. These behave like a unique sparring weapon, and have a 50% status chance. Slide and ground-slam attacks deal wide aoe damage.
  • For both "weapons", damage types cycle randomly every second, with the same % chances as Elemental Wave.
  • While Power Unleashed is active, Elemental Wave's status chance is increased to 100%. (Synergy, yeah!)
  • Alternate name: ~Magic Hands~
  • Alternate name 2: Unlimited Power!!!!

Talismans

Talismans are a unique arsenal mechanic for Ambrosius, in the same vein as Chroma's energy color thing, or Octavia's Mandachord.

Talismans would be items that allow the player to skew the percentage chances involved in Elemental Wave and Power Unleashed towards an element of their choosing. These would be equipped via the upgrade screen, with a maximum of 2 equipped at any given time.

Equipping a Talisman would double the chances of its respective element when casting the two abilities in question. The percentage changes would be calculated in such a way that the balance of 66% primary elements to 33% combined elements would stay the same (i.e. Primary elements would be increased at the expense of the other primary elements, and combined elements at the expense of the other combined elements).

• For example, Elemental Wave, cast with a Fire Talisman and a Radiation Talisman equipped, would have a 33% chance to deal its damage as Heat, 11% for Toxin/Cold/Electric, 11% for Radiation, and 4.4% for Gas/Magnetic/Corrosive/Blast/Viral.

Acquisition: The blueprints required to build talismans would be acquired by defeating Golems. These new enemies would be found in a specific cave somewhere in the Plains of Eidolon.

The entrance to the cave would begin sealed, only opening after being stuck by Ambrosius' Elemental Wave.

Inside, you would find a large "room" with a pedestal at its center, upon which lies a talisman. The talisman would be be protected by an energy barrier, which can only be broken by elemental damage. When the barrier falls, a Golem will spawn (a defense mechanism set up by Ambrosius' troubled creator). The Golem will take on the form of whichever element was used to destroy the barrier. It will be immune to physical damage, as well as the element it embodies. Once defeated, the Golem is guaranteed to drop a blueprint for the talisman corresponding to its element. Thus, for a full set of talismans, 10 Golems must be defeated.

(I should probably do some art for this.)

Extra Stuff

A wizardly alt helm:

ambrosius_alt_helm_by_other_laszlok-db3r

Prime version, because why not:

ambrosius_prime_by_other_laszlok-db4vuic

Trivia:

• Ambrosius' Ult began its life as my pre-rework dream for a new Volt Ult
  • His working name was OwlFrame, (three guesses as to why)
  • "Ambrosius" is a name associated with Merlin of Arthurian legend.
Edited by Laszlok

Huh...this is actually...really good. Don't see a lot of that.

I like the design, the abilities, the concept as a whole is actually well done and pretty appealing. I would suggest trying to move his visual look even farther from Volt's design if possible, the more the better.

I imagine if there was a witch/wizard alternate helm people would be all over that too.

Edited by Echorion

I have to say that this is a good concept. It wouldn't match my playstyle at all but it would be nice to see in the game. He isn't overpowered by any means but he also doesn't seem to be underpowered. Overall, good job. I don't necessarily have anything that I would change but I just want to stop and say something positive. 

Looks like Nezha, the concept is good,and  you say it is a elemental mage? For me looks more like an aquatic Warframe with animal legs and very big hands more like a melee beast concept indeed. Maybe something like cards flying around him or with shaman clothes will make it look more like a mage one.

Edited by Venoct

• 2 weeks later...

I think you should change the first abilties name to "Chaos Cast". And maybe alternate names could be like "Fist of Chaos" and "Beam of Destruction" As for his passive maybe instead of energy he could get increased movement speed and health regen? (It would nullify the status though, I'm suggesting it since Ember gets energy when she's lit on fire)

This is great

Perhaps a dual passive akin to some of the newer frames?

- on individual status proc, gain X energy: Perhaps a minimum or 2 or 3 due to being on foe rather than taking after ember

- additional passive energy gain which isn't stopped when toggle ia activated due to being all energy offensive based

Also, great design

18 hours ago, (PS4)CrazyWill718 said:

I find this frame to be pretty interesting but don't you think that the elemental theme is encroaching on Chroma's territory a bit.

I thought of that, but considering Banshee/Octavia, or Saryn/Nidus, I figured thematic similarities are okay :smile: (actually, the random elements mechanic began, in part, to avoid too much Chroma similarity.)

17 hours ago, LightningsVengance said:

I think you should change the first abilties name to "Chaos Cast". And maybe alternate names could be like "Fist of Chaos" and "Beam of Destruction" As for his passive maybe instead of energy he could get increased movement speed and health regen? (It would nullify the status though, I'm suggesting it since Ember gets energy when she's lit on fire)

11 hours ago, Phyrak said:

This is great

Perhaps a dual passive akin to some of the newer frames?

- on individual status proc, gain X energy: Perhaps a minimum or 2 or 3 due to being on foe rather than taking after ember

- additional passive energy gain which isn't stopped when toggle ia activated due to being all energy offensive based

Also, great design

I added an alternate idea for his passive that I think I like better than the original. It still helps out with energy, but it's less like Ember, and it's more synergistic with his other abilities. (The exact percentages and duration aren't set in stone)

28 minutes ago, Laszlok said:

I added an alternate idea for his passive that I think I like better than the original. It still helps out with energy, but it's less like Ember, and it's more synergistic with his other abilities. (The exact percentages and duration aren't set in stone)

I like it :D Does he still get energy or does he have to pick up energy orbs? (either way it'll work really well with Zenurik)

3 minutes ago, LightningsVengance said:

I like it :D Does he still get energy or does he have to pick up energy orbs? (either way it'll work really well with Zenurik)

He wouldn't get energy from the ability itself, but the effect would apply to all sources of energy: orbs, Energy Siphon (I think he'd have a Naramon aura polarity), other warframes' abilities, etc.

5 minutes ago, Laszlok said:

He wouldn't get energy from the ability itself, but the effect would apply to all sources of energy: orbs, Energy Siphon (I think he'd have a Naramon aura polarity), other warframes' abilities, etc.

I still like that passive, if one of his abilities restores energy (even a like maybe his 2nd) every enemy killed restores 1 energy, enhanced by his passive and they're deadddd.

Edited by LightningsVengance
Typo

• 3 months later...

Update: Committed to the new passive and its synergy with Entropic Cloud, updated some of the art, and detailed the acquisition process for Talismans (featuring the Plains of Eidolon, in order to exploit your hype!)