Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Ship To Ship Combat] An idea on how it could work

Othergrunty

0. Introduction. 1. The concept. 2. The ship to ship gameplay. 2.1. The Approach Phase. 2.2. The Attack Phase. 2.3 The Regroup/Retreat Phase. 2.4. The Boarding Phase. 3. Player Access To The Missions. 3.1. The Starchart Version. 3.2. The Clan Version. 4. Number Of Players. 5. The Ships. 6. Thanks.

0. Introduction.

A while ago i've noticed some talk among players about the possebility of the Tenno being given combat ships which they can used for boarding attacks on the enemy ships ala Galleons. I'm not sure on the details or where this idea came from, but i think it was based on a comment from one of Steve's streams.

If there was never such a comment on Second Stream (DOH!), please disregard my assumption there.

Either way, this talk about boarding actions got me thinking on how player controlled ship to ship combat could actualy work in Warframe. The important thing to consider if you ask me, is that as far as the game presents the Tenno to us, they are entirely based around small units and hit and run tactics. Fitting into the theme of Space Ninja and being a small but powerfull fighting force. But using large battleships does not fit that style.

However thinking about it, this does not mean the Tenno couldn't steal enemy battleships to either get them scraped for material, use them for sabotage acts (ramming attacks) or give them to their allies who do infact have the numbers and infrastructure to make use of them. But doing such a large scale operation on an enemy ship would logical require more effort. Hence small attack crafts.

So i'd like to propose how player controlled combat ships could work in Warframe and how it could also involve clans and dojos. Warning very lengthy concept idea!

1. The concept.

The idea i have in mind here is a kind of mini-game or side activity, that is split up into two gameplay systems.

A. The actual ship to ship combat via it's own gameplay. B. The boarding action which would follow the regular gameplay in style similar to invasion, but as players vs. computer.

In addition to that i'd like to propose 2 different ways these missions could be activated.

A. A regular mission you can access on the star chart. B. A Raid style mission which clans could put up on a kind of bounty board or the star chart itself. Said missions could be opened for the public to "assist".

2. The ship to ship gameplay.

Since we allready have the Archwings as a quasi space fighter combat, i would go with something more simple like a railshooter for this, while still allowing some tactical flexibility for the players.

My idea would be that the combat would be split into 3 phases the mission follows. 1. Approach. 2. Attack. 3. Regroup/Retreat. Followed by a 4th phase if the overall attack was a success. The actual boarding action.

2.1. The Approach Phase.

When the player arrives in the mission they would be given a simple tactical screen (think the reward screen from endless missions) showing the target, let's say a Galleon, which would have 4 circles going around it. A vertical, a horizontal and two diagonal circles. At the outmost points, where the circles cross over, the player would have a "you are here" marker. The player can then chose which circle they want to follow.

Once the attack path is selected the ships follows said path, during which the player can controll the ships weapons, special abilities and perform a dodge move if necessary. The UI for this could be mostly re-used from normal gameplay, with the player selecting the weapons via the weapon switch key, use special abilities via the power keys and perform a dodge move via the movement controll keys.

2.2. The Attack Phase.

During the attack phase, the players would get several vital parts on the hull of the ship highlighted, complete with health bar. Said parts being things like turrets, shield generators, engines, fuel pods, etc. The player can now use their ships main weapons to destroy said parts.

However the enemy ship would of course fight back with various means. Each of course having ways to be overcome by the players. Main cannons firing slow painting your position with a crosshair (hence the ability to dodge), similar AA and flak turrets firing in bursts after marking you, minions and rockets can be shot down with your own AA turrets (more to that later) and so on. So it would be up to the player what to prioritize. Either to destroy as many defences as possible in one run or focus on vital structures so you don't have to do the run again.

Once you completely followed one of the 4 attack parts you would get to the result screen.

2.3 The Regroup/Retreat Phase.

After an attack run you would get a display of your success. Meaning how much you destroyed and how strong the overall defence of the enemy ship still is. Similar to an endless mission you can now decide if you want to do another run, likely across one of the other 3 paths, or if you want to retreat. Perhaps having taken too much of a beating in the first run.

However if you actualy have brought down the enemy defence and power down to 0% the game now allows you to board the enemy ship.

2.4. The Boarding Phase.

This would be normal gameplay. You enter the ship, either via a rift in the hull (complete with using the Archwing) or having breached an airlock and then follow a certain objective.

The objectives being of course somewhat different from normal by being more reward or lore based. For example locate special credit or resource caches. Take out the captain so allied forces can capture the ship. Or reprogramm the ships computer so it ejects it's cargo for you to steal outside.

3. Player Access To The Missions.

I would propose splitting this mini-game up into two versions. One for everyone on the star chart and one that clans can set up.

3.1. The Starchart Version.

In this version your objectives are based around what between 1-4 Tenno could logically achieve attacking an enemy ship. Meaning attacking smaller crafts like patroll ships, freighters or lighter combat ships. A single missions would be enough to take this ship out and get what you want.

3.2. The Clan Version.

Clans meanwhile would be able to create their own mission in style of the solar rails, which similar to a formorian or the Acolytes would have a global health that would need to be brought down. Likewise multiple boarding actions would be necessary to get the full reward for this mission. In this version the objectives and targets would also be larger. Meaning full sized Galleons or large Freighter, maybe even an Obelisk or a Super Galleon. Likewise the goals would be things like totaly take over the ship (to scrap it or give to allied forces), steal the cargo or take it out for good.

I would however exclude Formorians from this. Primarily to leave the Formorians as something special for Archwing, with a similar reason as why space fighters were better against the Death Star than full sized ships.

I also propose to not make these entirely exclusive to clans, instead allow the clans to make the attack public on a kind of bounty board, for random players to join and attack aswell, helping along and getting a piece of the reward. Of course also allow clans to keep it internal if they desire.

4. Number Of Players.

The star chart version should allow the regular number of up 4 players. Each being allowed to take one attack path. Solo play should still be possible too.

The Clan version meanwhile could allow raid size parties to participate. Meaning up to 8 players spread over up to 4 ships (more to that in the following section). With the result of the ship to ship and boarding phase being stronger towards the global health of the enemy ship.

5. The Ships.

For the types of ships players could use, i would take the difference between their Orbiter and the Dojos into account. A single Tenno, just with their Orbiter would have a far stricter limit on the ships they could deploy than a clan who could make a lot of space in their Dojos.

Therefor each player would be able to own an "Assault Boat". Said boat being only around 1.5 times larger the Lander. These would be armed with a fixed single main weapon (cannon, torpedo tubes, heavy missile launchers, tractor beams). Since they are in a fixed position, the boats would require to drift around the enemy ship while firing with their main weapon to the front. In addition to that they would have 2 smaller defence guns in movable turrets. Said weapons being things like machineguns, micro missiles, etc.

In terms of gameplay the player would need to switch between main weapon and defencive weapon as they see fit.

If you read this. You have a lot of patience thanks.

Clans meanwhile could get the ability to build and own bigger ships, which however should come with logical downsides based on their size.

In practice this could work like this. A clan builds a hangar and a shipyard. With these they can build ships. The ships however would be owned by the clans not single players. So the clan would need to allow which player can use which ship. Afterwards those who have the rights to use them can call dibs and go for a joyride. The clan size could also dictate which ships can be build and in which number. Also larger ships would require more players to operate at peak performance. So for example if you take a size 4 ship into a star chart mission, you need all 3 other players to make the most of it (meaning you can only effectively deploy 2 even in raid size missions).

Here is an example of what clan type ships could look like in terms of names, sizes and armaments.

A. Corvette. Twice as large as a Lander. Can be used by 2 players. Two main weapon in a fixed position. 4. Defence weapons (two turrets).

B. Frigate. Twice as large as a Lander. Can be used by 2 players. Two main weapons on a moveable turret (fired as one). 4. Defence weapons (two turrets).

C. Destroyer. 2.5 times larger than a Lander. Can be used by 3 players. Two main weapons on a movable turret each (fired seperatly). 6 Defence weapons (3 turrets).

D. Cruiser. 3 times larger than a Lander. Can be used by 4 players. Four main weapons on two turrets each (fired as two). 8 Defence weapons (4 turrets).

6. Thanks for reading.

Feel free to provide feedback. Perhaps why it's overblown and not pracitable or how you think it would work better. Perhaps DE might find one or two bits of inspiration in this.

Edited by Othergrunty

6 minutes ago, Vlada91 said:

why not its good for change and its work in progres....

I think you mean "Work in- wait what were we doing again? Ah well it will fix itself lets go add something else like Focus abilities and then forget about them too"

2 minutes ago, Echorion said:

I think you mean "Work in- wait what were we doing again? Ah well it will fix itself lets go add something else like Focus abilities and then forget about them too"

Or we can have options for adult tenno and that we finally have Umbra in game.... but it is not currently Topic

Edited by Vlada91