Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How to fix the Dojo

Dr.Sturgeon

As we all know the dojo decoration system in warframe is just as bad as the debugging team (no offense but there as so many bugs it feels like the ten plagues of Egypt in here). I have played warframe on a friends account during closed beta and have since been playing and I think now is the time for me to speak my mind...semi filtered. So, I'm going to start listing many things that really get under my skin when decorating my dojo and the dojo in general:

- First of all, the limit for decorations in rooms is tooooooo low. As a guy who decorates his dojo a lot, I struggle with it. I always think about what i can cut down to make this or that work. Also a small lantern takes up three spaces!? WHAT!?

- How come I can build a hall way in 12hrs, but it takes me 24hrs to make a banner? I need some explanation on the logic.

- How come we don't have more convenient options such as a copy and paste for decorations?

-  Why don't we have some sort of grid to help us place things? Why don't we have optional degree's that tell us how much we rotated the object?

- Why don't we have more DECORATIONS!? We have had the same ones since dojos were introduced and almost no new objects if any at all. Why?

- WHY CAN'T WE PUT DECORATIONS ANYWHERE IN OBSTACLE COURSE!?!?!?!? And why do you we have an obstacle course that is so outdated? Those laser were to drain stamina.

- Why does the recoloring suck so bad? Why can't we recolor decorations? 

- Why can't you rename teleporters?  

- Why do the meshes absolutely suck? No one can deny this is a huge problem that NEEDS IMMEDIATE ATTENTION! I died 10 times decoration my dojo X(   

- Why can you only deposit credits in the treasury? Like bruh, why hasn't this changed.

Now on to some suggestions I have for warframe's dojos:

- The small dueling room is nice but it would be so cool to have a big one, why not have one where a bunch of people can have a cluster **** and have fun?   

- Why don't we have a shooting range? Kind like the simulacrum but without the enemies (to keep people's interest in getting the simulacrum).

- Why don't we have purchasable dojo skins? Warframe, you guys milk the hell out of us, how have you not thought about this?  

- Why aren't there more rooms? I know there is one coming up but we need one where you can change loadout and one where you can do missions straight from the dojo. Maybe even a room where you can tell other clannies you are available for a mission. Wouldn't that be cool? Maybe even a super grandest grand hall.

- We should have a shipyard/docking station like the relays, that would be cool.  

- We should have massive rooms, like obstacle course size to decorate. I would totally be down. 

- We should have stairways and elevators that can bring us to the next level.

Some of you might take this as me ripping on warframe , which I am, but understand that I love this game so much. I've played it since I was thirteen and I don't plan on stopping but, I have come close to dropping warframe and so far I have taken long periods of brakes of almost two years (separately). I love warframe so DE, please fix this at least. Don't even get me started on stupid passives and lack of content for vets. Tell me your thought guys, if I am too picky, if you have suggestions whatever. Don't forget to hit the like button and subscribe...jk lol.    

Edited by Dr.Sturgeon

We have elevators, both to take you to another floor of the dojo, and to take you to another floor of a room (in the Temple of Honour). Also, you could place a bunch of teleporters in a place like the Grand Hall and use those as elevators, I guess.

I love your ideas of a shooting range and docking station! I would totally love those rooms.

3 minutes ago, GrayArchon said:

We have elevators, both to take you to another floor of the dojo, and to take you to another floor of a room (in the Temple of Honour). Also, you could place a bunch of teleporters in a place like the Grand Hall and use those as elevators, I guess.

I love your ideas of a shooting range and docking station! I would totally love those rooms.

Thanks, I just meant that stairs would be a cool addition. I know we have elevators and I have like...12 teleports but thank you for your input.  

For the complaints:

• Decoration limit is to reduce the lag of dojos by reducing how many polygons/textures/FX one can add to their dojo that people have to load in when joining. The capacity cost is likely tied to how taxing the asset is on the renderer.
  • Build times are old, yes.
  • Because of how the game places the objects on the mesh, copy/paste would not work as effectively as you may think. It also largely isnt needed since you can use the same decoration method used in ships now to quickly select multiple items to place one after the other.
  • We have a grid, it just isn't visible. Using the snap feature will snap the object to the snap points on that grid, which are based on each individual asset's hitbox surface. since the rooms are built out of multiple objects, the grid is not one singular perfectly aligned thing between objects. This is what leads to misalignment you can find in some areas where you'd expect it to behave "properly."
  • Dojos fell to the wayside and didn't have a lot of focus on them since the dark sectors, and they have admitted to that. They just were not as important to expand upon as the core of the game. They are returning to them now.
  • Obstacle course is old, but it was made standard to prevent people from affecting the leaderboards unfairly (a moot point with all the exploits people found, I know). This already will be changed in the future. The new obstacle course is planned to be buildable by the players using modular parts and props, and likely the removal of the leaderboards on a universal scale. Leaderboards for your specific course are likely to remain.
  • Same as the reason why we don't have more decorations, it was just something that fell behind in updating. Decorations don't have tintmasks yet because PBR didn't exist when they were made. DE is now able to go back to those assets and add this feature in.
  • No idea why you cant rename teleporters.
  • They are old, but they are not something that needs "immediate attention." If you are dying when decorating, I'd want to know just what you were doing to end up dying.
  • Where else would you deposit credits...? And what would you even suggest needs to be added?

For the suggestions:

• With peer-to-peer hosting, this was not possible before. There is a limit already on how many people can enter a dojo. With the dojo system being moved to be hosted on the same servers as the relays, this becomes more possible, but not quite yet. DE would probably first want to work on bringing Conclave to the servers first before fixing up the dojo dueling to have larger scale fights. They also need to move the dojo dueling to use the conclave system since the PvE versions are completely unbalanced for PvP.
  • Same issue as above, there wasn't a good system for hosting the large dojos that could support having enemy AI also be included for a shooting range. With the move to servers, this may be possible with "live" enemies instead of just stationary dummies.
    • As an expansion on this, I'd want to see the ability to "test" weapons from the dojo, even without building it, to see how the weapon plays. Weapons that are tested this way should gain absolutely NO affinity for your account, to prevent adding itself to your stats/affecting your profile info.
  • We don't have skins because a new skin would essentially require the same amount of work as making an entirely new tile set, something that takes a HUGE amount of work. Each tile set made also increases the work required when major updates are made, for things like the lighting, renderer, etc. We may see them move into this at a later date, but I wouldn't count on it.
  • They are already planning to add more rooms beyond just the war room. They have expressed interest in adding a relay's "navigation" room's features to the Observatory. Altering one's arsenal wouldn't need a new room, the relays don't have it and it works just fine that way. You wouldn't need a new room just to inform clannies that you are available for a mission, you can already do this with chat, and can integrate such a feature into the navigation room. Joining a clannie is also already possible by just going to your clan list and joining any available clan mates. I don't feel a new room is needed just for that.
  • They have mentioned they would be interested in adding a landing bay, so its already in the concept pile for things they may add.
  • Massive rooms would be possible, but the rooms would likely be limited to one per dojo to assist with reducing the amount of load one would need to have into the dojo, especially when those rooms are decorated to capacity.
  • We already have this, Stairways would be terrible however because of how tall the floors are in the dojo. Floors have to be spread far enough apart to have the largest rooms stacked on top of each other without clipping, so since people already have rooms and dojos built, they cant make any room larger in height to what we already have very easily. Larger rooms than what the current system allows would make you have to redesign your dojo, which takes quite a bit of time, and for work to be done to alter how some rooms like the elevators are modeled. So its a tricky subject.
Edited by NeithanDiniem

42 minutes ago, NeithanDiniem said:

For the complaints:

• Decoration limit is to reduce the lag of dojos by reducing how many polygons/textures/FX one can add to their dojo that people have to load in when joining. The capacity cost is likely tied to how taxing the asset is on the renderer.
  • Build times are old, yes....................

I would like to thank you on your big contribution because 20% of this is news to me. I think I should elaborate on the treasury. I meant clan members should be able to donate resources too. I think we can both agree on that. But, I still stand my ground on the capacity of rooms. I'm fine with hallways being low. They could use a bit more but I'm fine with them being fairly low. However, when something is named "Clan Grand Hall" or "Clan Grandest hall" that place needs to be decorated you feel me? it reps your clan and having only 500 capacity and most objects taking up 3 spaces, you can only put 165 - 200 items in that room! That seems big but when you are a warlord who decorates a lot it's tiny. I understand people play warframe on microwaves but the amount of items you can put is so low! 

But anyways, I would like to thank you on your insight. I have just been getting really frustrated now that I am back on warframe after more that a year and it feels like the only thing that has changed is the amount of pay to win 13 year olds and the start chart. 

Edited by Dr.Sturgeon
was too big